ADVERTISEMENT

One thing that is 100% completely a FACT.

fkfootball

All-American
Apr 28, 2014
Probably the truest thing I’ll ever post on here.

The National Media ABSOLUTELY loathes IU basketball. For all the pub we got for Football, it’s been nothing but negative pub for basketball. The WANT us to be terrible. I’m not really sure why? But man these guys have it out for us.

The National Media ABSOLUTELY loathes IU basketball. For all the pub we got for Football, it’s been nothing but negative pub for basketball. The WANT us to be terrible. I’m not really sure why? But man these guys have it out for us.
I only see the media reflecting the same things most on here are saying. Not their job to be fan boys for IU.

It makes for good reading. "Look how the once mighty have fallen...pathetic." Without readers they are just another poster like anyone on this board.

i'm not sure what you're talking about but i doubt very seriously they loathe iu bb. they probably just don't take it as seriously as we do.

IU football is the underdog story and basketball is the former star who has fallen. That’s America!

Reactions: IUgradman
Yeah, but only as foils.

For the most part, the hatred was both genuine and mutual. And I don’t think it’s out of the question that there are media types who have lingering resentment for IU because of it. After all, most IU fans relished his taunts of the media.

Maybe a few instances were funny. Too often he came off like a jerk w a personality disorder, esp in the 90s.

Like when he went after the younger Schapp...or the kid who mistakenly RMK wasn't doing a post-game.

Reactions: milkdude
Maybe a few instances were funny. Too often he came off like a jerk w a personality disorder, esp in the 90s.

Like when he went after the younger Schapp...or the kid who mistakenly RMK wasn't doing a post-game.
Well, I’m sure some people shared that opinion. But it was a minority opinion. Knight did that for decades, and it wasn’t what caused his downfall. Reporters, as a profession, are held in pretty low esteem. So he was in no danger of losing fan support by being hostile with them.

Anyway, my point was simply that Knight did “need” the press. I agree with you on that. But only as foils.

Well, I’m sure some people shared that opinion. But it was a minority opinion. Knight did that for decades, and it wasn’t what caused his downfall. Reporters, as a profession, are held in pretty low esteem. So he was in no danger of losing fan support by being hostile with them.

Anyway, my point was simply that Knight did “need” the press. I agree with you on that. But only as foils.

Was it a minority opinion? RMK drew a line. Most stayed w IU.

I guess you would've had to live by Tim Knight and his mom's T Tech t-shirt stand on the Southside to feel the way I do about them.

IU basketball is a big brand. They will regurgitate anything if it generates traffic. This whole thing about wanting to tell the news is BS. Nothing but clicks matter. There might be some who want to shine a negative light on us, but I don’t think the majority really care.

Read the boards, every fan base thinks the same thing

Read the boards, every fan base thinks the same thing
That's true to some extent, but there is something a bit off kilter in the Media Guy/IU fanbase relationship right now. I personally think it has something to do with Dakich. Media types are a fun loving group until you give reasoned pushback or question their knowledge on a topic, then they can become more than a little catty. I think this is where we are now. It'll blow over, but they need to flex their narrative control muscles for a bit. IU is helping for some crazy reason by denying when they should be owning.

Reactions: UncleMark

The problem is that Knight was almost always right when he got angry. Knight just never changed his tone of he was in control and he was authority, and his frankness and brashness came across poorly in the PC world of the late 90's to today.

Bullshit.

Of all the so-called "storied" or "blueblood" programs, IU is the only one that is going through a coaching change, which is the result of several years of poor performance. It's a story, and one with very few positive angles that can be taken. Simple as that. If there were any positives to be taken we'd get our share of positive press, but there's nothing for anyone with a pro-IU bent to work with.

This goes all the way back to 1976. Those old enough can remember IU in the Final Four against UCLA in the semi's....the media was wiping its chin over UCLA...saying that they were going to end the IU dream....Bryant Gumbel was an announcer.....pumping UCLA before and during the game....Then, he was totally grim during the post game interviews, etc..... Remember 1981? Dean Smith and his band of NBA stars were going to get Dean his first title....not Bobby's second one. Truth is...most of the media has always been contrary to IU....much of which was because Bobby Knight would stick it in their rear end and break it off during press conferences. Nothing new here....Winning is the best deodorant......always has been.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT