ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody believe that they can still salvage something here…

Some people don’t grasp what being ranked around 90 in the NET means. The season to date has been one of the worst in IUBB history, especially when you factor in all the NIL advantages I’m tired of talking about (and of course excluding the Crean rebuild from scratch year for obvious reasons).
We have had maybe three seasons that were decent from a historical perspective. The two that I am good with was 2002 and 2012. I still believe we would have beat Kentucky in Atlanta in the sweet sixteen in 2012 if Zeller and Oladipo could have stayed out of foul trouble. From my biased seat there were definitely a couple questionable fouls called on but that is part of the game.

Injuries are also part of the game and May's in 1975 and Henderson in 1993 were the worst.

The net has only been used a few years and our season has been bad on all accounts. This team is not going anywhere and as I have said before I am biased towards Woodson because of what he laid on the line physically to lead the 1979-80 to a Big Ten Championship on March 2, 1980,
over Ohio State.

I will listen to concerns raised by a few analysts and former IU players but not the majority of fans on this page. I will always support IU in all sports that is just part of my DNA but can also like you recognize serious flaws. The two programs that are currently nationally consistent at IU are men's soccer and both swimming programs.

We have had maybe three seasons that were decent from a historical perspective. The two that I am good with was 2002 and 2012. I still believe we would have beat Kentucky in Atlanta in the sweet sixteen in 2012 if Zeller and Oladipo could have stayed out of foul trouble. From my biased seat there were definitely a couple questionable fouls called on but that is part of the game.

Injuries are also part of the game and May's in 1975 and Henderson in 1993 were the worst.

The net has only been used a few years and our season has been bad on all accounts. This team is not going anywhere and as I have said before I am biased towards Woodson because of what he laid on the line physically to lead the 1979-80 to a Big Ten Championship on March 2, 1980,
over Ohio State.

I will listen to concerns raised by a few analysts and former IU players but not the majority of fans on this page. I will always support IU in all sports that is just part of my DNA but can also like you recognize serious flaws. The two programs that are currently nationally consistent at IU are men's soccer and both swimming programs.
Women’s bball getting close

over Ohio State.

Yea, ‘02 was obviously great, and agree on ‘12. Cody outplayed Anthony Davis and a few less fouls and UK not being lights out shooting and who knows. Frankly the committee putting us in the game was BS — they couldn’t help but setup the drama of the rematch. That IU team was forged in rough seasons and really outperformed.

I would love for IU to be very good. We have it all — big NIL, big budget from AD, amazing home court, amazing fans that travel (NYC and ATL this year were great), good facilities, and not that anyone cares, history. Few schools offer all these advantages.

We’ve struggled with coaches, probably because our athletic dept is bad and it’s a political process that might involve the President or former players.

The in season analysis is entertainment, all that matters is wins/losses. Not sure Dolson does this, but any competent leader should sit down and agree to goals with the coach (and key people like the President). I’m sure Dolson and Woody would have expected to be improving in Yr 3 with a path to be “elite” given all our resources. That would be top-25 at least and threatening top-10. We have top-5 NIL and budget, we can be good.

Instead it’s the opposite. Year 3 Net around 90, KenPom around 90, not close to field of 68. The goals from the start are completely missed. Therefore, give someone else a chance. We pay the big $4M+ salary for results.

Turnarounds don’t have to take long. Thad inherited a terrible Butler team with 10% the resources of IU, year 2 he’s got road wins at #11 Marquette and #13 Creighton and a chance to make the tourney. That’s coaching.

Maybe I’m wrong. It doesn’t matter. You like IU, and I somehow still like IU, we have different views on what’s best and that’s fine. It’s fun to talk about.

Reactions: Shuski
Ware a big 17 pts, 2 much standing ,no cutting to basket.That will get Leal open. Galloway no more threes.

…or is this just a dead cat bounce? Surprisingly, I think I’m in the camp of believing that something can still be salvaged this season. With Ware back, I think the potential is there to make a late push for the tourney. Do I think they’ll make it? Absolutely not, but I think they’ll do enough to keep us engaged and interested down the stretch here as opposed to wallowing in an endless loop of despair and apathy for the rest of the season.

With that said, it nauseates me to have these kinds of lowly, pathetic expectations for the program at this point. Woodson shouldn’t have to be told that it’s an embarrassment.

dead-cat-cpr.gif

I'm not in a fire CMW state of mind...yet.
The team has been together since at least August. "CMW is learning about his team"?? Still??
If he is just now discovering the individual players' abilities he truly needs to go.

And if you think coaches aren't learning about their teams all of the way up until the very end of the season, especially teams with a lot of new parts, you're naive.
Please forgive me for being grossly naive.
But a first year coach with at least 10 new players just beat our Phi Beta Kappa coach by 14.
Apparently some learn quicker than others.

Reactions: BigMobe and kmathum
But a first year coach with at least 10 new players just beat our Phi Beta Kappa coach by 14.
You’re a dumbass. Every coach, no matter how successful, is learning about their team every day, win or lose.

Now carry on with your tantrum.

You’re a dumbass. Every coach, no matter how successful, is learning about their team every day, win or lose.

Now carry on with your tantrum.

"But a first year coach with at least 10 new players just beat our Phi Beta Kappa coach by 14."

Every coach, no matter how successful, is learning about their team every day, win or lose.
And teams with good coaches improve as the season progresses.
Just too bad our coach has a severe learning disability.
Keep defending this shit show and the ringmaster and I'll continue with my tantrum.

PENN STATE. F@cking Penn state.

• Angry
Reactions: BigMobe
"But a first year coach with at least 10 new players just beat our Phi Beta Kappa coach by 14."

And teams with good coaches improve as the season progresses.
Just too bad our coach has a severe learning disability.
Keep defending this shit show and the ringmaster and I'll continue with my tantrum.

PENN STATE. F@cking Penn state.
I’m not defending shit. I’m not even talking about Indiana specifically. Change your diaper and get a clean pacifier. Jesus.

I was told you need four years minimum to turn things around

I was told you need four years minimum to turn things around
Ha, yea.

In year 2, Thad took a terrible Butler team with 10% of the resources of IU and he has them with four Quad 1 wins (including #11 and #13 on the road) and they have a shot at the tourney.

Turnarounds happen quickly, especially with the portal.

Reactions: bailey777
The thing is: we are just 1 maybe 2 capable player away from being a decent team. This was doomed to fail this summer.

What a waste of a frontcourt.

At this point I am not so sure.
This team does NOTHING well, nothing to hang their hat on, no team identity.
Offense is offensive.
Defense is almost non-existent most of the time.
Rebounding is spotty at best.
Shooting has been talked ad nauseam.
FT shooting - forget about it.

With all that being said, it is hard to imagine that one or two players would have moved the needle much.

over Ohio State.

I think IU beat UK again if VJ3 was able to play..

We are currently 13-8, 5-5. The best I can see is finishing this season is 16-15, 8-12. Then the traditional first round bounce in B1G tourney to finish the glorious season off at 16-16.

Penn State - W
@OSU - L
@ Purdue - L by 35 pts
NW - L
Nebraska - W
@PSU - L
Wiscy - L
@Maryland - L
@ Minny - L
MSU - W
Updated Prediction after loss at home to Penn State: 2 - 8 Final 10 games

Penn State - L
@OSU - L
@ Purdue - L by 35 pts
NW - L
Nebraska - W
@PSU - L
Wiscy - L
@Maryland - L
@ Minny - L
MSU - W

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: Nieman and Willdog7

Penn State - L
@OSU - L
@ Purdue - L by 35 pts
NW - L
Nebraska - W
@PSU - L
Wiscy - L
@Maryland - L
@ Minny - L
MSU - W

I guess they win two but Nebraska at home??

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7

Penn State - L
@OSU - L
@ Purdue - L by 35 pts
NW - L
Nebraska - W
@PSU - L
Wiscy - L
@Maryland - L
@ Minny - L
MSU - W
Hope all are L's even the 12/13 B1G Wednesday game.

Ha, yea.

In year 2, Thad took a terrible Butler team with 10% of the resources of IU and he has them with four Quad 1 wins (including #11 and #13 on the road) and they have a shot at the tourney.

Turnarounds happen quickly, especially with the portal.
Yep but we didn't want him cause he failed a physical. Lol sure he did. I think that's a made up story.

You may be right, but I know Woodson understands and truly has more passion for getting Indiana back to what it was more than any of us yahoos posting on this board. Maybe I am blind, but I have not given up on him finding a way to get us back or closer before he passes it on to someone or Scott decides it is time for a change.

I also know that Woodson is more knowledgeable and talented at basketball than any of us all and regardless of the expertise espoused on here i still trust Woodson and staff that includes Cheaney and Hulls to be better than all of us put together. I really don't care what some of the so-called fans think because they are just that and I don't agree with what you see in front of your face or several others here.

There is no magic wand, and we have a small space left for error to even have a chance to finish stronger, but I will wait for each game and cheer like crazy and yell at the errors and coaches then step back and evaluate again. Who knows maybe I will agree with you guys by the end of the season, but I seriously doubt that I give up what you call it my fantasy that we can be a consistently strong program again even under Woodson.
“Knowledgeable and talented at basketball” Wtf does that have to do with anything? We just got clowned by a crappy B1G bottom feeder in Assembly Hall w/o their 18+ point ppg scorer. Pay attention man.

I love IU. I expect better.

“Knowledgeable and talented at basketball” Wtf does that have to do with anything? We just got clowned by a crappy B1G bottom feeder in Assembly Hall w/o their 18+ point ppg scorer. Pay attention man.

I love IU. I expect better.
I have explained my reasons for admiring Woodson and wanting him to be successful, but I am sorry to admit this is not working and changes unfortunately need to be made. I enjoyed some of the best at IU and was definitely spoiled but 2 or 3 good seasons since 1993 is not what I want or expect from our program.

I will always be all in on 24/7 sports at IU and cheer them all, but men's basketball has been a struggle for a lot of years. I don't know how I would have stayed engaged if all I cheered for was men's basketball.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT