ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody believe that they can still salvage something here…

We are currently 13-8, 5-5. The best I can see is finishing this season is 16-15, 8-12. Then the traditional first round bounce in B1G tourney to finish the glorious season off at 16-16.

Penn State - W
@OSU - L
@ Purdue - L by 35 pts
NW - L
Nebraska - W
@PSU - L
Wiscy - L
@Maryland - L
@ Minny - L
MSU - W
Seems about right I think 10-10 is possible but that is best case. The game at Purdue will be ugly.

Reactions: ndhuntington
We are currently 13-8, 5-5. The best I can see is finishing this season is 16-15, 8-12. Then the traditional first round bounce in B1G tourney to finish the glorious season off at 16-16.

Penn State - W
@OSU - L
@ Purdue - L by 35 pts
NW - L
Nebraska - W
@PSU - L
Wiscy - L
@Maryland - L
@ Minny - L
MSU - W
I will put you in the camp with many that are always very negative. There are still way too many variables at play for that to be anything but an opinion. If Ware, Renau and Johnson are healthy for PU I will take the 35 points. I have no idea at this point how we finish and what happens. I know we play Penn State Saturday, and we have to have that win.

I may not be happy but will at least let the season play out. Would you have thought we had any chance to beat Iowa with Renau only playing 3 minutes. Yes we almost blew it but we did not. I guess for teams playing PU they need to watch how NW plays them and learn from them. Did you ever think someone would say that about NW prior to Collins,

Reactions: papawboog
OSU hasn’t been playing well. If they win at Iowa then Quad1 for us. If they get beat then likely Quad2. If they get smoked then almost certainly Quad2. They are very close to the cusp currently after the loss at home to Illinois by 12.

Every time I hear NFL players say THE Ohio State University I want to shoot my television.
All the Quads are determined at the end of the season, not at the time we play the games...I believe anyways. So we need for all the borderline teams we play to finish the season strong, outside our games with them of course.

I will put you in the camp with many that are always very negative. There are still way too many variables at play for that to be anything but an opinion. If Ware, Renau and Johnson are healthy for PU I will take the 35 points. I have no idea at this point how we finish and what happens. I know we play Penn State Saturday, and we have to have that win.

I may not be happy but will at least let the season play out. Would you have thought we had any chance to beat Iowa with Renau only playing 3 minutes. Yes we almost blew it but we did not. I guess for teams playing PU they need to watch how NW plays them and learn from them. Did you ever think someone would say that about NW prior to Collins,
None of his predictions are really that far off. We can easily lose at Maryland and Minnesota. Other than Penn state this weekend every one of those games will be very tough.

As All the Quads are determined at the end of the season, not at the time we play the games...I believe anyways. So we need for all the borderline teams we play to finish the season strong, outside our games with them of course.
It updates each night so yup, the final will not be known until after the last game is played. Since updated each night a game is played it changes less as the season goes on since the nightly update is based on one day of game data. But you are right-final not known til after final game day.

Last edited:
None of his predictions are really that far off. We can easily lose at Maryland and Minnesota. Other than Penn state this weekend every one of those games will be very tough.
Yes, you both may be correct, but I do understand the flaws and the probabilities and am willing to just be a fan and hope that the coaches and team can make you both incorrect. I will continue to cheer regardless until the last game is played. Those of us that had all the great years have a real hard time not being like that for so long.

It updates each night so yup, the final will not be known until after the last game is played. Since updated each night a game is played it changes less as the season goes on and the nightly update is based on one day of game data. But you are right-final not known til after final game day.
Yes but don't they have the tournament bracket largely complete well before the last games are played? They just slot in the conference tournament winners on Sunday if they aren't already selected, replacing any bubble teams as necessary.

Yes but don't they have the tournament bracket largely complete well before the last games are played? They just slot in the conference tournament winners on Sunday if they aren't already selected, replacing any bubble teams as necessary.
It shouldn’t change much at all at the end of the season and especially the last two days but I don’t remember the exact timing of announcing at large bids but will try to find it.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
The thing that scares me is this is college bball, there are always new parts coming in every year, especially in the portal era. I don’t buy that as a good reason to struggle.
Not when I see guys that played at a Central Michigan or a So.Alabama. Come in and put up such good numbers. To the point it takes that team over the top.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
It shouldn’t change much at all at the end of the season and especially the last two days but I don’t remember the exact timing of announcing at large bids but will try to find it.
Last year was March 12th and the conference tournaments were ongoing and so still 5 games of conference championships on March 12th with Big10 last scheduled to end about start of selection announcements. I don’t know at what point they finalize the last few teams to get in that might be on the bubble.

They would have enough time to consider the usual March 11th update for any teams there was a question about.

Last edited:

Penn State - W
@OSU - L
@ Purdue - L by 35 pts
NW - L
Nebraska - W
@PSU - L
Wiscy - L
@Maryland - L
@ Minny - L
MSU - W
You are wrong Sir, GO HOOSIERS

How far this program has fallen. We have people on here hoping we make the bubble. Very sad.

Yes. I am negative. This team gives ample amounts of reasons to support that personal disposition. I would also say I am dealing with reality and being realistic.

Yes. I am negative. This team gives ample amounts of reasons to support that personal disposition. I would also say I am dealing with reality and being realistic.
We are around 90 in all the rankings, that’s negative, can’t blame you. I really don’t care that we beat a mediocre Iowa team at home, now our signature win to date!

Reactions: aajohn2000
How far this program has fallen. We have people on here hoping we make the bubble. Very sad.
Where do I say that is what I want you guys make up shit more than anybody I know. Except for a few rare years we have not been the same program since 1993. Probably one of the best teams not to win the championship. We have been mostly a shell of a program for 30 years with a few decent runs in between.

You said that 3 more wins for this team is best case scenario. I am by no means a fan wearing rose colored glasses and making the tournament for this team will take a true miracle at this point. But saying the best case scenario for this team is 3 more wins is being a realist? That’s a stretch.

• Angry
Reactions: MrBing and Willdog7
You said that 3 more wins for this team is best case scenario. I am by no means a fan wearing rose colored glasses and making the tournament for this team will take a true miracle at this point. But saying the best case scenario for this team is 3 more wins is being a realist? That’s a stretch.
That’s fair. Again, I hope I am wrong. What is your prediction?

That’s fair. Again, I hope I am wrong. What is your prediction?
My prediction is that we win half of the remaining games and finish 10-10. I think best case scenario would be 12-8. We absolutely have to win Saturday or the season is completely over. If we can find a way to beat a bad Ohio St team on the road next week, I think things get a little interesting. I’m really just hoping at this point because selfishly I’d like to stay invested in this season for a little while longer 😂.

• Angry
Reactions: Willdog7
I remember the year RMK dedicated a big ten trophy to the Assembly crowd for pulling them through the season. Simon-Skotd should be one long scream starting now until the final buzzer of the final home game. It couldn’t hurt.

With this team and the where IU is THIS year, hoping IU makes the tourney bubble is NOT an indication of how far the program has fallen. It is a sign of the best hope for this this team.

Now, at the start of the year if people had been saying that they hope IU can be a bubble team, that is reduced expectations and an indication of how far this program has fallen.

Big difference in reality..And rooting against a team you've backed for 50 yrs.
But CMW isn't getting it done..It's right here in your face ..And those who think he's going to wave a magical wand. And make Indiana a top 10 program again.
That's actually fantasy..
You may be right, but I know Woodson understands and truly has more passion for getting Indiana back to what it was more than any of us yahoos posting on this board. Maybe I am blind, but I have not given up on him finding a way to get us back or closer before he passes it on to someone or Scott decides it is time for a change.

I also know that Woodson is more knowledgeable and talented at basketball than any of us all and regardless of the expertise espoused on here i still trust Woodson and staff that includes Cheaney and Hulls to be better than all of us put together. I really don't care what some of the so-called fans think because they are just that and I don't agree with what you see in front of your face or several others here.

There is no magic wand, and we have a small space left for error to even have a chance to finish stronger, but I will wait for each game and cheer like crazy and yell at the errors and coaches then step back and evaluate again. Who knows maybe I will agree with you guys by the end of the season, but I seriously doubt that I give up what you call it my fantasy that we can be a consistently strong program again even under Woodson.

I'm not in a fire CMW state of mind...yet.
The team has been together since at least August. "CMW is learning about his team"?? Still??
If he is just now discovering the individual players' abilities he truly needs to go.
He’s just learning their names.. give it time

You are wrong Sir, GO HOOSIERS
Please elaborate besides this weekend we could lose every game the rest of the way and even this weekend Penn State beat Rutgers in Jersey and beat Wisconsin. Even if we win all of our home games we're 10-10 time to extend Woodson..

You may be right, but I know Woodson understands and truly has more passion for getting Indiana back to what it was more than any of us yahoos posting on this board. Maybe I am blind, but I have not given up on him finding a way to get us back or closer before he passes it on to someone or Scott decides it is time for a change.

I also know that Woodson is more knowledgeable and talented at basketball than any of us all and regardless of the expertise espoused on here i still trust Woodson and staff that includes Cheaney and Hulls to be better than all of us put together. I really don't care what some of the so-called fans think because they are just that and I don't agree with what you see in front of your face or several others here.

There is no magic wand, and we have a small space left for error to even have a chance to finish stronger, but I will wait for each game and cheer like crazy and yell at the errors and coaches then step back and evaluate again. Who knows maybe I will agree with you guys by the end of the season, but I seriously doubt that I give up what you call it my fantasy that we can be a consistently strong program again even under Woodson.
Thank you Shuski, I could not have said it better.

With this team and the where IU is THIS year, hoping IU makes the tourney bubble is NOT an indication of how far the program has fallen. It is a sign of the best hope for this this team.

Now, at the start of the year if people had been saying that they hope IU can be a bubble team, that is reduced expectations and an indication of how far this program has fallen.
We're not even a bubble team we would have to probably win almost all of our games including Purdue and make a run in the big ten tournament to get back to the bubble. Last I heard on Assembly Call was at best right now we're a 5th or 6th seed for the NIT.

Please elaborate besides this weekend we could lose every game the rest of the way and even this weekend Penn State beat Rutgers in Jersey and beat Wisconsin. Even if we win all of our home games we're 10-10 time to extend Woodson..
No one can predict the future.

He has been gone for 40 years. Never coached college basketball hasn't been head coach since 2012.

When hired Woodson

The style has changed, like I said, and it’s a beautiful style,” Woodson said. “I don’t think you can always just live on shooting threes, but it’s great if you’ve got a team that can make it.”

And Indiana, Woodson said, Indiana has to become a team that can make 3-pointers. Though the state of Indiana prides itself on its ability to produce outside shooters, the Hoosiers have been one of the worst shooting teams in the Big Ten over the past four years during coach Archie Miller’s tenure. The Hoosiers never shot better than 32.6 percent from beyond the 3-point arc during Miller’s tenure and never finished better than 204th nationally in those four seasons. This year’s Hoosiers finished last in the Big Ten in made 3-pointers with 158, 5.9 per game. They were also last in attempts with 488.

“The three-ball has changed the game,” Woodson said, “and we have to find players that can make the three-ball!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woodson on defense...

When I look at college basketball,” Woodson said, “a lot of it is they are taking things from our league.”

On defense, Woodson said, that means being versatile from a schematic standpoint and a personnel standpoint. It means being able to play man-to-man but make adjustments within that man-to-man, but also to be able to put together junk defenses and presses when necessary.

“I think I can bring a system in that from a defensive standpoint where you know we can recruit players that are capable of playing three or four positions,” Woodson said. “That’s kind of how I did it in the pros. Players that if you did switch defensively, you felt good about them. The players guarding the ball and players that are committed to rebounding the basketball. I think when you build a defensive system, if everybody is connected together and work hard to defend not only the ball but when there is a breakdown, and rebound the basketball as a unit, you put yourselves in position to win basketball games.”

coach geez, iu north and myself know more about basketball than Woodson.

In this era of college basketball talking about senior leadership is somewhat meaningless particularly when one of your seniors is an idiot.

Reactions: bbafficionado
We're not even a bubble team we would have to probably win almost all of our games including Purdue and make a run in the big ten tournament to get back to the bubble. Last I heard on Assembly Call was at best right now we're a 5th or 6th seed for the NIT.

Didn't say we were.
I said that it was the "best hope" for IU at this point.
A loss tomorrow ends that hope!

Some people don’t grasp what being ranked around 90 in the NET means. The season to date has been one of the worst in IUBB history, especially when you factor in all the NIL advantages I’m tired of talking about (and of course excluding the Crean rebuild from scratch year for obvious reasons).

We are historically bad in KenPom.

KenPom this year is way worse than any recent year. And, even more troubling is that the previous 2 years weren’t much different than under Miller (just looking at KenPom).

Consider: in Miller’s final season we were 50th, and he was fired. In Woodson’s first year we were 48th.

Last year we were 30th. In Millers second to last season we were 34th. That was the year the NCAAs were cancelled (bracket matrix average had us as a 10 seed).

looking back at the last 10 sucky years and we are somewhere in the 30ish to 50ish range, except the year we lost 12 of 13 and ended up 71st.

It would take a hot streak to get us up to 71.

There’s more to it than NET, or KenPom. But, any way you slice it this program needs massive improvement to being in the same universe as many of the programs that our fans love to Pooh Pooh .

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT