ADVERTISEMENT

Anybody believe that they can still salvage something here…

Dec 9, 2014
…or is this just a dead cat bounce? Surprisingly, I think I’m in the camp of believing that something can still be salvaged this season. With Ware back, I think the potential is there to make a late push for the tourney. Do I think they’ll make it? Absolutely not, but I think they’ll do enough to keep us engaged and interested down the stretch here as opposed to wallowing in an endless loop of despair and apathy for the rest of the season.

With that said, it nauseates me to have these kinds of lowly, pathetic expectations for the program at this point. Woodson shouldn’t have to be told that it’s an embarrassment.

…or is this just a dead cat bounce? Surprisingly, I think I’m in the camp of believing that something can still be salvaged this season. With Ware back, I think the potential is there to make a late push for the tourney. Do I think they’ll make it? Absolutely not, but I think they’ll do enough to keep us engaged and interested down the stretch here as opposed to wallowing in an endless loop of despair and apathy for the rest of the season.

With that said, it nauseates me to have these kinds of lowly, pathetic expectations for the program at this point. Woodson shouldn’t have to be told that it’s an embarrassment.
Not if X is done and Malik misses time.

I said the other day let Leal, Cupps, and Trey cook and sit X. Looks like it’s happening. Might be all we got next year so better get them all the PT together you can.
Yes I think they might be able to create positive chemistry going forward. They all seem to be cerebral players looking to play team basketball.

Reactions: bdhman

We barely beat Iowa on our own court after blowing a 17 point lead. If we’re so bad we come close to losing to Iowa at home without Malik, no, we aren’t that good. We’re lucky this game wasn’t @Iowa.

I think the only aspect truly at play here is whether they can show something down the stretch that will give the administration something to sell for next season with Woodson coming back. Both to fans and potential recruits. Let’s face it, if we are forced to play 3-guards it might look like a little more appealing brand of basketball to spring portalers. Particularly guards. NCAA tournament bid, to me, is too far out of this team’s reach.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
We are not a good basketball team. Two crummy teams tonight.

That said, there were clutch shots down the stretch tonight from Galloway, Cupps and Leal. Pressure shots. And that was nice to see.

Reactions: ulrey and Zeester

We’ll see. I’m not sure tonight really changes anyone’s opinions.

If you’re down on us before, sweating it out at home against a below average Iowa team isn’t going to convince you that we’ve got something going.

If you thought we still had a punchers chance, my guess is that’s how you still feel.

The season can be mostly determined ahead of time once you get an idea how good the teams are.

For example, unless Minnesota is especially good, IU can get a road win there. But the probability of winning at the Kohl center has nothing to do with Mike Woodson's rotation, for example.

How many games IU can win has a lot to do with who and where they play, as well as injuries and things like turnaround time for both teams or whether a really good team is coming off a road loss.

IU hasn't given up, but I don't think that matters. They cannot win enough quality games to get in the tournament without turning a number of trends completely on their heads.

Looking at the schedule, and knowing that Iowa is now IU's best win for the entire season, it appears 4 wins more is reasonable to expect for a healthy team, and 5 would be a stretch goal. More than that would require real improvement. Have we seen evidence of improvement? Can IU win even two more without Johnson and Reneau?

Reactions: CriticArisen

Home win against an average team at best. Win at Ohio state and maybe we can start talking salvaging the season. Not yet though.

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7
How much are trends or recent wins weighted over early losses, if at all?
Not that much. In recent years, quality of win has meant more than momentum. I can remember the season when Kenyon Martin was a superstar at Cincinnati but he got hurt before they selected teams. The discussion was all about "deserved" seeding vs "realistic" seeding. Things have changed a lot since then. Quality wins really help - whenever they are.

Reactions: CriticArisen
10 conference games left. Probably need to go 8-2 rest of the way to have any hope. Not sure that even gets you there.
You would probably have to beat wisconsin and purdue. We just have no quality wins so far.

10 conference games left. Probably need to go 8-2 rest of the way to have any hope. Not sure that even gets you there.
Probably not, depends if we can get some quality wins down the stretch. Have to beat the 4 top teams.

Reactions: twenty02
Assembly Call (⚪,🔴)

@AssemblyCall
·
1h

Kind of feels like a team and a fan base came together tonight. Wins like these can galvanize late-season runs, especially if the early optimism surrounding X and Malik proves true.

I think alot still think woodson is shitty coach they are just happy leal shinned cause he is iu.

Leal is a good person over and above basketball. I am happy for him that he hit good shots tonight. Maybe finally some coaching recognition that winning college games isn’t just a matter of putting the best athletes on the floor.

Reactions: 76-1
Not having MR last night may have been a blessing in disguise. Forced us to play a lot more quickly in the post kick out game rather than forcing the post and pounding to the bucket repeatedly. Have to have an elevated XJ to truly have a shot, though, with AL giving us 15 mins a game

Assembly Call (⚪,🔴)
@AssemblyCall
·
1h

Kind of feels like a team and a fan base came together tonight. Wins like these can galvanize late-season runs, especially if the early optimism surrounding X and Malik proves true.

I think alot still think woodson is shitty coach they are just happy leal shinned cause he is iu.
What’s this optimism around Xavier and Malik? Especially Xavier? Everything I heard from people that saw it on TV said that it looked really really bad.

We still have road games. We just squeaked by Iowa at home. 17-14 will be our record at end of the year

Reactions: Hatchets7times
13-7 for sure they are putting us in. 12-8 bubble
IU is done! Take pride you ended Iowa's NCAA hopes. Iowa's Net is 56, IU's Net is 96! And who knew IU had a three point shooter setting on their bench! Woodson now knows!

• Sad
Reactions: Willdog7
Yeah, they really hurt themselves with the margin of victory, particularly against those Q4 teams. If those wins are all blow outs in Indiana's favor, you would still feel you have a chance. The problem is that the computer ranking "eyeball" test has them so far in the hole right now that it would almost take a miracle run to make the tournament now.

So there is still a chance, very slim, and I am not going to hold my breath.

Xray negative. Both injuries could be not serious. That would be insane luck for us.
Hey Cav, I know you have a few connections are you sure both Malik and X's x-rays were negative? I swore that X probably broke his wrist and had no idea what exactly Malik's foot/ankle injury was just from seeing it.

Who knows what could happen. My feeling is to not get to pumped with one win. Had the maintained the 17 pt lead maybe I think differently but this team played like it always does. Instead of imploding they made some plays and the result was different. With the potential injuries all bets are off.

Yeah, they really hurt themselves with the margin of victory, particularly against those Q4 teams. If those wins are all blow outs in Indiana's favor, you would still feel you have a chance. The problem is that the computer ranking "eyeball" test has them so far in the hole right now that it would almost take a miracle run to make the tournament now.

So there is still a chance, very slim, and I am not going to hold my breath.

Had our chances. Pulled out wins against Kansas and @Illinois and things look a lot different. Now pretty much dead man walking minus a miracle.

Hey Cav, I know you have a few connections are you sure both Malik and X's x-rays were negative? I swore that X probably broke his wrist and had no idea what exactly Malik's foot/ankle injury was just from seeing it.
I haven’t talked to x himself, will do that probably tomorrow. But was told it was negative.

I haven’t talked to x himself, will do that probably tomorrow. But was told it was negative.
This is one prediction I’m 100% in favor of. Ask him about Malik too. If either play against Penn State, I’ll be shocked. And happy as hell.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT