ADVERTISEMENT

Okay beer lovers

NPT

Aug 28, 2001
Which ones of these are good? I don't like beer so I can't comment. I had never heard of the Yuengling(sp??) brand.

Which ones of these are good? I don't like beer so I can't comment. I had never heard of the Yuengling(sp??) brand.
Yuengling is a solid brew, especially if you’re not a hop head. If I’m working outside in hotter weather, Yuengling flight is my go to. It’s their version of mich ultra but still tastes like yuengling. Their regular and light brews are good too. They also make a seasonal Hershey brew that is an excellent dessert beer. It has a nice chocolatey finish.

Reactions: DrHoops
I like Yeungling!! I believe it’s the oldest brewery in America (I may be wrong). The other ones I drink just for the sake of it. Like Old Style at Chicago sporting events, Lone Star if one in Texas.

Reactions: ovaltine
Yuengling is a solid brew, especially if you’re not a hop head. If I’m working outside in hotter weather, Yuengling flight is my go to. It’s their version of mich ultra but still tastes like yuengling. Their regular and light brews are good too. They also make a seasonal Hershey brew that is an excellent dessert beer. It has a nice chocolatey finish.
They have some interesting products like Black & Tan and some others things too. Ownership is big time Trumpsters, but I still drink it when I’m out East.

Anything by Toppling Goliath (Iowa) is fantastic. Not cheap, but I have never seen a beer receive a 100 on Beer Advocate. Toppling Goliath’s Pseudo Sue is the first I’ve ever come across.

workshopedia-trashybeer-graphic-v1_2.png

Surprised to see Strohs on the list. That was my go-to back in the day. I thought it had gone belly up.

Reactions: T.M.P.

Surprised to see Strohs on the list. That was my go-to back in the day. I thought it had gone belly up.
I was in Minnesota back about 08' and went to a decent sized lake side event, food, band, yadda yadda. The sponsored beer was Stroh's. It had mostly, as you say, disappeared and they brought it back as a rebranded "Upscale" beer. What used to be a $1.99 per 6 pack beer, was at that time a $9/ 6 uppity beer. I just had to laugh, marketing is awesome ! :)

I like Yeungling!! I believe it’s the oldest brewery in America (I may be wrong). The other ones I drink just for the sake of it. Like Old Style at Chicago sporting events, Lone Star if one in Texas.
I think you're right. Something like the 1820s. Insane

That is surprising. My grandfather had a bunch of old stroh's pony bottles in his garage I found when he died

I was in Minnesota back about 08' and went to a decent sized lake side event, food, band, yadda yadda. The sponsored beer was Stroh's. It had mostly, as you say, disappeared and they brought it back as a rebranded "Upscale" beer. What used to be a $1.99 per 6 pack beer, was at that time a $9/ 6 uppity beer. I just had to laugh, marketing is awesome ! :)

Okay, that rings bells.

I think something similar happened with PBR. Thinking it was more a viral hipster thing than a marketing ploy.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge

Any "bad beer" list that doesn't include Stella and Heineken is incomplete.

Yuengling is acceptable if the bar/restaurant doesn't have more than a handful of these cheap, lousy brands. IPAs, sours and fruity beers need to follow Tang down the Memory Hole.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Okay, that rings bells.

I think something similar happened with PBR. Thinking it was more a viral hipster thing than a marketing ploy.

I'm waiting for somebody to do a hipster campaign to bring back Hudepohl Gold. The first one went down rough, but after that it was good enough for volume consumption. And the rebus puzzles under the bottlecap could keep you entertained for hours. I think it was $4.99 a case at Big Red, so it felt like you were making money drinking it if you recycled the bottles. 🤣

I remember when you couldn't get Coors in Indiana and my wife and I would go visit her folks in CO and there would always be someone ask us to bring back some Coors for them.

If memory serves...

Coors didn't use to pasteurize their beer, requiring it to be shipped cold and sold quick. That limited its distribution footprint. It was the scarcity that drove people to want it the way they did. It actually wasn't that good to begin with, and skunked easily.

I'm waiting for somebody to do a hipster campaign to bring back Hudepohl Gold. The first one went down rough, but after that it was good enough for volume consumption. And the rebus puzzles under the bottlecap could keep you entertained for hours. I think it was $4.99 a case at Big Red, so it felt like you were making money drinking it if you recycled the bottles. 🤣
Wasn't that the house beer at Crosley? I can hear the barkers "Ice co Hudeypo!"

Reactions: hoosboot
They list Miller genuine draft for Indiana. I didn't think it was even made any more. I can drink a Bud light or Coors light in a hot day. Yeungling is pretty bad.

Yuengling is the oldest brewery in the US (and family-owned). The second oldest is August Schell Brewing Company out of New Ulm, MN. When we lived in Mankato, they were 20 minutes away, so Mrs O and I made the trip for the tour a few times, and I drank their beer a LOT because my local beer store carried all their stuff. They focus on German styles and are world-class, IMHO.

Reactions: Spartans9312
Taste is a very personal thing, so which ones are "good" will vary greatly from person to person. Having said that, most of those are "light" beers, so they don't have very strong flavor profiles. Bud, Yuengling Traditional Lager, and Stroh's will probably have the most flavor, so they'd be my choice.

I remember when you couldn't get Coors in Indiana and my wife and I would go visit her folks in CO and there would always be someone ask us to bring back some Coors for them.
Same here. You couldn't get it east of the Mississippi. We'd bring back cases and cases when we went to Missouri for a livestock auction.

Taste is a very personal thing, so which ones are "good" will vary greatly from person to person.
I had to chuckle at that.... I'm sure that is probably true to beer drinkers but to me all beer taste bad. :)

Last edited:
Anything by Toppling Goliath (Iowa) is fantastic. Not cheap, but I have never seen a beer receive a 100 on Beer Advocate. Toppling Goliath’s Pseudo Sue is the first I’ve ever come across.

The top 150+ beers all score 100. Pseudo Sue is excellent.

Yuengling is the oldest brewery in the US (and family-owned). The second oldest is August Schell Brewing Company out of New Ulm, MN. When we lived in Mankato, they were 20 minutes away, so Mrs O and I made the trip for the tour a few times, and I drank their beer a LOT because my local beer store carried all their stuff. They focus on German styles and are world-class, IMHO.
Key West.....Yuengling on draft everywhere..
Peel and eat shrimp, grilled catch of the day, Real Key Lime Pie...

Arturo Fuente XX.

Based.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
I too enjoy a good slug of water after grinding out some yard work.

Also, I am personally offended that Miller High Life, the literal champagne of beers, is not at the top of this list. What have we become?
I load up on the H2O prior to and during a long day in the yard and then celebrate (occasionally) with a couple of ice cold ones at the finish (it's all about replenishing the potassium ya know 😉)...

Bud Light, Budweiser, and Natty Light all taste somewhat watery with a hint of beer taste so I’d recommend those.. Keystone is a big no and I’ve never really liked the taste of Coor’s.

Anybody remember the 80’s Stroh’s commercials with “Alex” the dog?

Yuengling is crap. I have no idea why some people in Indiana thinks it's some special beer. It's basically a Budweiser.

I disagree. Yuengling Traditional Lager is actually not a bad beer. It's almost an amber (actually, they consider it a Vienna Lager) and contains considerable roasted caramel malt. It's nothing like a Budweiser. If I was in the mood for a straight up American Lager I'd get this one every time. And that's from someone who would never order a Miller/Bud/Coors on my own.

I disagree. Yuengling Traditional Lager is actually not a bad beer. It's almost an amber (actually, they consider it a Vienna Lager) and contains considerable roasted caramel malt. It's nothing like a Budweiser. If I was in the mood for a straight up American Lager I'd get this one every time. And that's from someone who would never order a Miller/Bud/Coors on my own.
#respect

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT