ADVERTISEMENT

Now that the dust has settled and Woody is back...

No matter who we get the team has got to stay healthy. That was a huge problem for IU this year. Cant learn to play together when sitting on the bench. Its gotta mess with everyone's mind also.

This board is so pessimistic. All I can say is wow. No wonder the coach mentions true fans.

It's simply not significant with regards to next year's team. You guys predicted a mass exodus. It did not happen. To now claim that losing these guys is what you meant is disingenuous. I'm merely pointing out that the post-season catastrophes predicted here haven't happened, and as such I'm not putting too much stock in the prediction that next season is going to be a disaster. I think it'll be better than this season, and possibly significantly so. That also doesn't mean that I think Woodson is a particularly good coach. I don't. But even lousy coaches occasionally field decent teams.

Let's see what the roster looks like.
I felt Ware was 100%....Renau about 50/50....Mgbako is who surprised me.

Who did you think "we" meant? Ware was a given. MR/MM meh. After that, I felt there was no doubt Gunn, Banks and Sparks were gone. Couldn't care less with Leal or Galo---never considered either. So "we" were wrong on Mgbako and Renau...

So this is what IU is reduced to?---Might be better....might not be---Woody not a good coach, but hey, every once in a while, he'll field decent team(s)?

Yikes.

Here is A GIVEN. If Woody does not adapt to the three point shot, get B10 caliber STARTING guards, shooters---we will not be better.

The decision is made. I can’t change that

As long as Woody is here and doesn't do anything illegal, immoral or unethical I will support him, attend games and hope his plan works. If it doesn’t work I will once again be ready to move on.
You haven’t seen enough to know the outcome?

Reactions: ulrey
This board is so pessimistic. All I can say is wow. No wonder the coach mentions true fans.
Oh shut the **** up. That was an ignorant statement then----and even more so now. "Ture" fans. Define that for me. In your own words, Mike.

What is a true fan to you? Are true fans "yes men"? Don't care about the product---just root no matter? COudnt care less what direction the program is headed? Meh at being swept NB, losing two/three to PSU. Getting drilled by a terrible Rutgers team. Losing by 29 and 16 in the NCAAT? Missing the postseason? Multiple 20+ point losses...Multiple double digit blown leads...getting beat by PU 20+, twice?

His tenure here has been very average....And that's saved only by a team led by TJD/JHS----that was blown out in RD2 of the NCAAT.

So Willdong--How should I act? Happy? Excited? Is there something I am missing that should make me think this is gonna change? Or should I just be a "TRUE FAN", and accept the shit show going on in Bloomington? Just b/c we are not happy with the program, the coach and the direction it is headed in, doesn't mean we are not fans.

As in the past, the frustration is that there seems to be a delta between what works for fans, vs what works for the athletic department. Our coaches seem to be able to reside in that delta far longer than some of us wish.

Again, nothing we can do about that. We're not owed a particular level of success.
Then why should any of us care?

Reactions: CriticArisen
No matter who we get the team has got to stay healthy. That was a huge problem for IU this year. Cant learn to play together when sitting on the bench. Its gotta mess with everyone's mind also.
Ware played in 30/33 games---Started 30
Renau played in all 33----Started all 33
Mgbako played in all 33---Started all 33
Galo played in 31--Started 31
Cupps played in 33--Started 22
XJ 20---Started 13
Walker in 32

Aint buying it----And even when all healthy, IU still wasn't very good. Average margin of OOC win was 9.5 points. That sis against teams like FGCU, Army, Harvard, Wright St, Kennesaw State, Louisville, N. Alabama and Morehead State.

Again, nothing we can do about that. We're not owed a particular level of success.
In the past I wouldn't disagree AS MUCH, as I do now. Kids are getting paid. And well. The 17,000+ in the seats every night , for 20 nights or so, play a huge role in this. People tunning in via radio, TV----those who travel to see this team play. I mean, yeah, "we" are owed a particular level of success.

Look this isn't Evansville, Indiana State, Ball State, etc....No disrespect to any of those schools----But its different with IU. Hell its different with PU. Just like UK/UL vs Morehead State, EKU, etc....Programs such as IU are the product of a strong fan base. Not vice versa.

It's simply not significant with regards to next year's team. You guys predicted a mass exodus. It did not happen. To now claim that losing these guys is what you meant is disingenuous. I'm merely pointing out that the post-season catastrophes predicted here haven't happened, and as such I'm not putting too much stock in the prediction that next season is going to be a disaster. I think it'll be better than this season, and possibly significantly so. That also doesn't mean that I think Woodson is a particularly good coach. I don't. But even lousy coaches occasionally field decent teams.

You are saying "I think it'll be better than this season, and possibly significantly so."
but then add your last line of "Let's see what the roster looks like.".

How can you make the first statement without knowing the last statement?

What gives you any confidence that next season will be better?

Are you back on board that Woody can put together a roster that can compete at a level you are satisfied with? Are you in the wait and see camp? Or do you believe are we just delaying the inevitable firing/resignation?
I don’t care who the coach is, be it an alum or not. I would just like for IU to be regularly in the top 25 and top 3-4 of the B1G and make serious tournament runs (at least 2nd weekend) every few years. Do I think Woodson will accomplish that? No. I’m not sure he sees how much the offensive style of play puts the team in a disadvantage vs teams that play a modern style. Which I think is why they always get run out of the gym whenever they face a decent non conference opponent on a neutral floor. No doubt some players will be brought in this offseason. But if getting the team to gel together was a challenge last season (Woodson’s own excuse) I don’t see how it won’t be an issue next season as well. Woodson seemingly failed to establish a culture when he arrived and that has left us wandering the wilderness a bit. If I had to bet I think next season will be a little better than this previous season. But I don’t think it will be enough to earn a contract extension.

Well, his last season with the Knicks he had Carmelo and second highest player payroll in NBA and didn’t make the playoffs.

Stats for that team below-poor defensively and pre season over under 50 wins and actual 39

Exactly, if he was a good NBA coach he would still be in the NBA. We got suckered.

The difference between being loyal as a fan and accepting the state of the program are 2 different things. Some of you can't differentiate. I hope for your sake you aren't loyal to your wife while she bangs half the town.

As in the past, the frustration is that there seems to be a delta between what works for fans, vs what works for the athletic department. Our coaches seem to be able to reside in that delta far longer than some of us wish.

Reasonable expectations of future events and the ability to plan to achieve some desired outcome is what gave man an advantage over beasts of the field (Huskys, Wildcats, Badgers, Wolverines, Bruins, etc). Considering the success of this process I will continue to establish the facts of what has transpired and use those to help develop reasonable expectations of what is likely to happen.

There are optimistic biases and pessimistic biases but in between is the sweet spot of realistic appraisals that are based on honesty and best allow for desired outcomes.

Last edited:
Oh shut the **** up. That was an ignorant statement then----and even more so now. "Ture" fans. Define that for me. In your own words, Mike.

What is a true fan to you? Are true fans "yes men"? Don't care about the product---just root no matter? COudnt care less what direction the program is headed? Meh at being swept NB, losing two/three to PSU. Getting drilled by a terrible Rutgers team. Losing by 29 and 16 in the NCAAT? Missing the postseason? Multiple 20+ point losses...Multiple double digit blown leads...getting beat by PU 20+, twice?

His tenure here has been very average....And that's saved only by a team led by TJD/JHS----that was blown out in RD2 of the NCAAT.

So Willdong--How should I act? Happy? Excited? Is there something I am missing that should make me think this is gonna change? Or should I just be a "TRUE FAN", and accept the shit show going on in Bloomington? Just b/c we are not happy with the program, the coach and the direction it is headed in, doesn't mean we are not fans.
For a while after RMK..."Its still Indiana" was the mantra....because a standard still existed....blue blood status still existed. Over time, the diminishing returns were addressed with absolute mediocrity inside the university. The coaching changes were handled by rank amateurs with low expectations....and frankly, still are. Its almost as if IU has been afraid of creating another Bobby Knight. The ghost of Myles Brand has outlasted the ghost of RMK. Every coaching hire after Bobby was fired has puzzled me. Each one has left me with the same question: "Really? Is this the best we can do?...Hope they know what they are doing". Its actually amazing how the succession of mediocre coaching hires has been replicated without an improvement over the predecessor.

And the programs that were IU's peers have systematically separated themselves from IU. They are no longer peers...UNC, Duke, Kentucky, UConn. Our peers are now the teams who themselves are feasting on Indiana...Rutgers, Nebraska. IU is now Missouri......firmly entrenched in the bowels of the conference. Only a mammoth, generational coaching hire can fix this. And that is not on the horizon. Sorry for the negative forecast...Its what my eyes are seeing.

What do you consider as mass exodus? We had 3 guys transfer and 1 go pro, and 2 graduate, while not having any recruits lined up. 7 total scholarships were open before Tucker
The three that transferred needed to transfer. They weren’t going to help the program and we should be able to get three replacements from the portal who can contribute more. The not having any incoming freshmen is a concerning, though. I guess using the Liam money to get another 5 star freshman softens the blow a bit.

Are you back on board that Woody can put together a roster that can compete at a level you are satisfied with? Are you in the wait and see camp? Or do you believe are we just delaying the inevitable firing/resignation?
I'm in the "delaying the inevitable" camp.

At the end of the day there's nothing on his resume that indicates he's capable of leading a college basketball program. (Which somewhat mystified me when he was hired.) His body of work since taking the head coaching job here has been, thus far, subpar.

I do not find a compelling reason to believe he's going to be a success.

I’d guess Woody will learn from last year.

However, he should know better and we shouldn’t have a coach that is learning on the job with big things like roster construction and offense.

For a while after RMK..."Its still Indiana" was the mantra....because a standard still existed....blue blood status still existed. Over time, the diminishing returns were addressed with absolute mediocrity inside the university. The coaching changes were handled by rank amateurs with low expectations....and frankly, still are. Its almost as if IU has been afraid of creating another Bobby Knight. The ghost of Myles Brand has outlasted the ghost of RMK. Every coaching hire after Bobby was fired has puzzled me. Each one has left me with the same question: "Really? Is this the best we can do?...Hope they know what they are doing". Its actually amazing how the succession of mediocre coaching hires has been replicated without an improvement over the predecessor.

And the programs that were IU's peers have systematically separated themselves from IU. They are no longer peers...UNC, Duke, Kentucky, UConn. Our peers are now the teams who themselves are feasting on Indiana...Rutgers, Nebraska. IU is now Missouri......firmly entrenched in the bowels of the conference. Only a mammoth, generational coaching hire can fix this. And that is not on the horizon. Sorry for the negative forecast...Its what my eyes are seeing.
Every time I see the mantra-Easy because we are Indiana -I just shrug.

I would give you the benefit of the doubt. Understand the situation, if he does not improve CMW is gone. I understand your heartfelt pain but being pessimistic all the time does not help. Do you think the 24-25 season is a failure b4 it even starts? You do not like the recruits, comparing them to the old players like X. Did you hear what Klay Thompson said that TJD was well-coached? The same could be said about Ware. Give the man a chance to coach. Everything is not doom and gloom.

During Archie’s third season I estimate that 80% of the posters here expected big improvement and strongly supported Archie. The 20% were considered worse than trolls. This time around the numbers are reversed but Willdog7 is in a class by himself-a CMW superfan.

You go dog.

Reactions: Willdog7
If Newton can stay healthy Sweet Sixteen.
You said you expected next season to be very successful and that is apparently a sweet sixteen appearance but now qualifying that with an injury free season from the player most likely to be injured. Can you just say you consider sweet sixteen to be a reasonable expectation for next season?

Reactions: Willdog7
You said you expected next season to be very successful and that is apparently a sweet sixteen appearance but now qualifying that with an injury free season from the player most likely to be injured. Can you just say you consider sweet sixteen to be a reasonable expectation for next season?
Dog-a superfan should be able to define his use of “very successful”. Can’t crawfish on this.

That mass exodus was based on lies and rumors and some of these guys are gullible fools or so malcontent they believe anything negative.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT