ADVERTISEMENT

Now that the dust has settled and Woody is back...

When it rains on dust, it becomes mud.
I choose to wait and see. It may work next season, but I don’t believe buying a new team every year will be successful or sustainable.
I thought universities would begin pushing for player contracts but if they are directly involved in paying players they become employees and also, Title 9 issues surface.

I will 💯 support whatever players decide to come here or stay on board but I cannot bring myself to support the lazy,, arrogant Coach or anyone on his lazy staff! If the players are stuck trying to play using the same lame ass offense, there is a chance we may not win 10 games next year.

Last edited:
No I think he we fail because he doesn't understand college basketball and he is to old to change his ways. Also satisfied would be atleast a sweet sixteen and a big ten championship its year 4. If you can't win a big ten championship and get to a sweet sixteen by year 4 at Indiana you shouldn't be coaching.

Are you back on board that Woody can put together a roster that can compete at a level you are satisfied with? Are you in the wait and see camp? Or do you believe are we just delaying the inevitable firing/resignation?
How many more double digit ass beatings need to be seen? Woody is an old dog playing outdated basketball, while diminutive Japanese players on Nebraska rain 3's on IU. I saw enough awhile ago, and Woody should have been s*** canned yesterday. Woody struggled against mid-majors. He has done nothing in the NCAA's and has a .500 Big Ten record: see ya!

At this point, IU's admin is committing malpractice by keeping Woody.

I assume he'll fill his roster, although it seems like it's starting to take too long. As such I'll be excited once the season rolls around. I expect it will be ugly though. I was fine with year 1 - season was much more fun to watch than year 4 of archieball. But he underachieved in year 2 and then didn't focus on shooters for year 3 and it played out a lot like people expected. I suppose there's still some hope he'll change up the offense if he has some shooters, but he had a couple his first couple years and didn't use them.

Reactions: CriticArisen
I will 💯 support whatever players decide to come here or stay on board but I cannot bring myself to support the lazy,, arrogant Coach or anyone on his lazy staff! If the players are stuck trying to play using the same lane ass offense, there is a chance we may not win 10 games next year.
10 Games?

Reactions: Bucket Getter
He has 11 months left as coach. Next season is a complete waste.
IU's admin literally isn't trying right now. They have to know that next season is a waste, and they don't care. If somebody tries and fails, at least they f'ing tried. The admin may as well be waiving a white flag.

The IU women's basketball program and IU football are in a better place as programs than IU basketball: really weird typing this. IU football hired a new coach and is actually trying to do better.

He has 11 months left as coach. Next season is a complete waste.
Where do you people come up with some of this stuff? I mean, losing 3/4 of his team, will no longer get another HS player this year and would not be the coach for 2024-25 season. You been wrong so many times and I sure you'll be wrong again. Most of you are so worried he's going to put a team in the tourney next season.

• Haha
Reactions: Nieman and jrbjrb
Where do you people come up with some of this stuff? I mean, losing 3/4 of his team, will no longer get another HS player this year and would not be the coach for 2024-25 season. You been wrong so many times and I sure you'll be wrong again. Most of you are so worried he's going to put a team in the tourney next season.
Enjoy watching teams pack the lane, an IU post attempt to take on 4 defenders and not know how to pass out of double/triple teams (not that it matters with no shooters), and more double digit ass beatings by teams with shooters. Personally, I'm sick of seeing this.

Getting into the tourney means he gets another season. Every time he does that, it is like doubling down on a bad bet. Every once in a while they run a few nice scripted sets to start a game or maybe a nice out of bounds play. The sustainability of an offensive identity is not there for 40 minutes whether it is based off of actions or the ability to put a group of guys on the floor that create a balanced lineup. His roster construction doesnt't create stability from year to year. I literally can not come up with an area he excels other than randomly closing the door on a talent who commits and even that is skewed by nil. I would be shocked if he wins a big ten title, big ten tourney title or gets a team to the 2nd weekend. Even the last 2 could be a farce and lead to 5-6 more years of irrelativity on the national stage.

Are you back on board that Woody can put together a roster that can compete at a level you are satisfied with? Are you in the wait and see camp? Or do you believe are we just delaying the inevitable firing/resignation?
I've not lost faith in Woody. He is who you want to work with if you are wanting to play at the next level.

There are many good players that will fit in nicely with Mgbako, Reneau, Galloway and a player like Tucker. I feel we missed out on some players because we went for a home run and struck out when all we needed was a single. We will fill our roster. I feel we have a decent core with an unknown in Newton. We have to wait and see who will join what we have.

It’s still way too early to tell … when the transfers come in for summer conditioning … we may still not know what we have.

When it rains on dust, it becomes mud.
I choose to wait and see. It may work next season, but I don’t believe buying a new team every year will be successful or sustainable.
I thought universities would begin pushing for player contracts but if they are directly involved in paying players they become employees and also, Title 9 issues surface.
This is the first time we could be considered "buying a team". IU has had 6 total transfers under Woodson: Kopp ('21), X ('21), Durr ('21), Ware ('23), Walker ('23), Sparks ('23). TJD was the man for 2 seasons and we brought in guys who would complement him well in a slashing PG (X) and a perimeter shooter (Kopp) and then we transferred in a former top recruit to replace Trayce and bolster the front court. We have had a late commit each season and it has only seen as an NIL push for Mgbako, a recruit we "won" over Kansas and is staying a sophomore season, and Tucker, who we scrambled for because our only recruit this season decommitted.

None of the players that have transferred out after Woodson recruited them were players see sad to go. Newton being a total unknown going into '25 was unexpected. We are replacing a lot of major parts this season, for good reason, but that happens to lots of teams. Woodson has a targeted both underclassmen and upperclassmen, and so far we have a visit [scheduled] with a player of each class. Carlyle (4), Hickman (2), and Williams (1) could give us a total of 7 years between them.

I agree with the rest of the board, except maybe @Willdog7, that there's plenty of hand wringing to be had over Woodson and his offense, recruiting effort, relationship with board members, ego, foot-in-mouth syndrome at press conferences, the list goes on. It just feels like the complaint that Indiana is buying players to play for [INSERT UNIVERSITY HERE] stems from the anomaly of having a single recruiting cycle of with a one man class and a personal strong dislike of NIL. Unfortunately NIL isn't going away soon so I think we should be encouraging using it to paying players who fit an Indiana basketball team that will play cohesively. If the AD, coaches, and boosters do that remains to be seen.

EDIT: Upon proofreading, Insert University was unintentional and works so well I might have to become a team-buying-doomer just so I can use my own genius.

I think it is inevitable that they will either be really bad in 2025 or 2026. From that standpoint, I think Woodson is a dead man walking. But there are no games until November so Woodson is undefeated until we see what hand he brings to the table.

All coaches eventually get fired or resign. It's not a question of "if" but of "when."

I've not lost faith in Woody. He is who you want to work with if you are wanting to play at the next level.

There are many good players that will fit in nicely with Mgbako, Reneau, Galloway and a player like Tucker. I feel we missed out on some players because we went for a home run and struck out when all we needed was a single. We will fill our roster. I feel we have a decent core with an unknown in Newton. We have to wait and see who will join what we have.
Thanksgiving will provide a big bitter dose of certainty with the Big 4 Atlantis tournament in The Bahamas. Zaga has one starter out of eligibility and Zona also only one out. Caleb Love is uncertain but does not project as a first round pick. Larsson same as Love. Creighton also has only one starter out of eligibility.

You should warn your wife that your appetite won’t be good for Thanksgiving dinner this year. Leave it to CMW to even screw up our Thanksgiving dinners.

Hey, the important thing is another all expenses paid trip to The Bahamas for Coach Woodson. He does so like the glitz of Paradise Island and….

Bustin your butt coaching is for suckers.

Always funny when someone posts-he wants to win, he cares. If I were to ask each of the 350 Div 1 coaches if they want to win and if they care how many would answer-It doesn’t matter if we win and I just don’t care.

Last edited:
How many more double digit ass beatings need to be seen? Woody is an old dog playing outdated basketball, while diminutive Japanese players on Nebraska rain 3's on IU. I saw enough awhile ago, and Woody should have been s*** canned yesterday. Woody struggled against mid-majors. He has done nothing in the NCAA's and has a .500 Big Ten record: see ya!

At this point, IU's admin is committing malpractice by keeping Woody.
Double losses to Nebraska, PSU, Purdue and Northwestern....when has that happened before? Past, present and future....Woodson is not a college basketball coach.....and this is Indiana. This thing is upside down on its head.

I've lost the belief that Woody can do it, but I remain, as always, a Hoosier fan and will cheer whoever puts on the cream and crimson for us! But, inside I don't see him turning it around and getting us to a requisite level of success.

Buying a new team every year is college basketball today. The problem is when you buy only two pieces at a time or you buy only one or two of the youngest and least developed each season.

Where do you want to be at the end of the season? If it's the final four you better have bought or developed a dynamic PG, some knockdown shooters, and have some options inside who can play and have figured out how to stay on the court.

A half-hearted effort in adding playrs will only get you so far. I know IU has gone after some big fish of late, but a swing and miss on all of them makes for desperate times. They are fortunate to have landed a five star and bring back MR, MM and a few others. They are still multiple pieces away from a final four. Legit pieces.

Again, will any of the media or "gurus" with access ask the coaches why they do not pursue some of the grown men recruits from overseas?

Last edited:
Reactions: IUgradman
Next year's team is still TBD (duh), but I think it will make the tourney and maybe win a game. We aren't going to be awful and win something like 12-15 games. I doubt we have a roster with limited guards and shooting again.

It's hard for IU not to be decent. We have whatever it is: $6M+ NIL, which is top 5-10, probably closer to #5 now. We have a one of the bigger athletic department budgets for basketball (top-10 -- depends on the accounting), so IUBB can have all the staff, recruiting trips, and program luxuries money can buy. And we also pay Woody $4-4.2M, which is about #10 in the country.

IU puts a lot of resources into basketball, we won't be terrible. Our donors literally just bought Bryson Tucker for Woody. There are a lot of good players in the portal.

However, the issue is the results don't match the resources invested. It doesn't matter what Woody is doing vs. Archie or whatever underperformer we had in the past. Woody has top-10 resources and he's being paid like a top coach, so he should be delivering something around top-10/20 results.

College is different from the NBA, and I doubt Woody can learn it fast enough. Last season, year three, was the culmination of what Woody has been building, and it was worse than most people realize. Missed the tourney by a mile, the 27(!) point season ending loss to Nebraska throws into question the improvement we might have seen late in the season, and we whiffed on our three biggest recruiting targets.

I think we know Woody by now. He'll take a ton of resources and underachieve. We have too much $ at IU not to finish in the top half of the B1G and inch into the tournament and maybe win a game at most. The question will be if that works for the decision making group that is some combination of Dolson, Pam, Quinn, and our big donors. Outside of Scott, I don't see them expecting much. If he makes the tourney he is probably safe for another year.

It's too bad. With the right coach and our resources IU could be competing for B1G titles and tourney runs, which would be amazing for our players, students, school, and fans. But we don't push for that at IU. PU has been doing it for a decade with 1/2 to 2/3 the resources of IU, and they're almost certainly in the title game Monday with a 50/50 shot to get a banner in Mackey.

Last edited:
It’s still way too early to tell … when the transfers come in for summer conditioning … we may still not know what we have.
but in the past, we've convinced ourselves by July, we're a top 10 team and will fight for the B1G championship. I think those days are over. I sense another collection of talent coming in, but Woody's overall scheme and approach on offense doesn't seem to lead to the results needed.

If MM makes a big jump, becomes a 15+ppg guy and prolific 3pt shooter...and IF we land a solid PG who can give us 10ppg/5 apg and shoot 35% from three and 80% from the line...AND...some talent inside to fill the hole every time MR starts fouling like a freshman.....AND..if some of the new faces really contribute.....AND...AND...AND...IF...IF...IF...

There does seem to be more hope for next season than what existed 7 weeks ago when it looked like we could lose out the season and see mass departures. But, a lot of the variables I listed above have to break in our favor next season. The PG recruitment, IMHO, is paramount for any real success next year.

The fact that Woody can't land the prized recruits from within the state still bothers me. It's an overall reflection of what IU basketball has become to the minds of the young kids in the state. Most of us shot free throws in the driveway growing up, dreaming that we were playing for RMK and about to hit two FTs to win the big game in the Hall. None of these younglings have seen IU play at the level we old fellas did....so they're just as inclined to commit to Gonzaga as to IU. Hell I'm not sure I even knew where Gonzaga was when I was 16 yrs old. All I knew was that playing for IU was every kid's dream (or playing for PU and beating RMK/IU....if you happened to be one of those type of kids).

Next year's team is still TBD (duh), but I think it will make the tourney and maybe win a game. We aren't going to be awful and win something like 12-15 games. I doubt we have a roster with limited guards and shooting again.

It's hard for IU not to be decent. We have whatever it is: $6M+ NIL, which is top 5-10, probably closer to #5 now. We have a one of the bigger athletic department budgets for basketball (top-10 -- depends on the accounting), so IUBB can have all the staff, recruiting trips, and program luxuries money can buy. And we also pay Woody $4-4.2M, which is about #10 in the country.

IU puts a lot of resources into basketball, we won't be terrible. Our donors literally just bought Bryson Tucker for Woody. There are a lot of good players in the portal.

However, the issue is the results don't match the resources invested. It doesn't matter what Woody is doing vs. Archie or whatever underperformer we had in the past. Woody has top-10 resources and he's being paid like a top coach, so he should be delivering something around top-10/20 results.

College is different from the NBA, and I doubt Woody can learn it fast enough. Last season, year three, was the culmination of what Woody has been building, and it was worse than most people realize. Missed the tourney by a mile, the 27(!) point season ending loss to Nebraska throws into question the improvement we might have seen late in the season, and we whiffed on our three biggest recruiting targets.

I think we know Woody by now. He'll take a ton of resources and underachieve. We have too much $ at IU not to finish in the top half of the B1G and inch into the tournament and maybe win a game at most. The question will be if that works for the decision making group that is some combination of Dolson, Pam, Quinn, and our big donors. Outside of Scott, I don't see them expecting much. If he makes the tourney he is probably safe for another year.

It's too bad. With the right coach and our resources IU could be competing for B1G titles and tourney runs, which would be amazing for our players, students, school, and fans. But we don't push for that at IU. PU is doing it with 1/2 to 2/3 the resources of IU, and they're almost certainly in the title game Monday with a 50/50 shot to get a banner in Mackey.
There's no way to say. One of the great challenges/frustrations with building a team this way is that you can bring all the talent in the world together, but it's totally unpredictable how quickly they can gel. I think our late season run had more to do with the teams we were playing, but there's no doubt we were playing much better in the last 6 or so games, and likely would've been in had we been able to do that for most of the season. Look at NC St: wouldn't even have made the tourney without the ACC Championship and here they sit in the F4. Then look at PU and all the teams they beat early, and UCONN as well. That's what keeping a core group of guys together will do: get you playing to your best quicker and longer. A portal team? You might catch lightning in a bottle, but you also may squander the play that group was capable of because you'll run out of time.

It's too bad. With the right coach and our resources IU could be competing for B1G titles and tourney runs, which would be amazing for our players, students, school, and fans. But we don't push for that at IU. PU is doing it with 1/2 to 2/3 the resources of IU, and they're almost certainly in the title game Monday with a 50/50 shot to get a banner in Mackey.
UConn is playing like a machine right now. But Edey is the biggest X factor I've seen in college ball, perhaps since the likes of Ralph Sampson or maybe David Robinson (Navy). I know NC State is a cute story but I think Edey has their roly poly big guy on the bench with 2 fouls before the first TV time out, and it's game over.

Who knows. We'll all find out together. Worse coaches than Woodson have achieved occasional success. Next years players, whoever they end up being, could well make the tourney. I don't particularly believe that Woodson will ever have sustained success and "return Indiana to their former glory," whatever the hell that means. But finishing top half of the B10 and making the tourney, sure. It doesn't take that much coaching to do that. It just takes a few good players in the right spots.

but in the past, we've convinced ourselves by July, we're a top 10 team and will fight for the B1G championship. I think those days are over. I sense another collection of talent coming in, but Woody's overall scheme and approach on offense doesn't seem to lead to the results needed.

If MM makes a big jump, becomes a 15+ppg guy and prolific 3pt shooter...and IF we land a solid PG who can give us 10ppg/5 apg and shoot 35% from three and 80% from the line...AND...some talent inside to fill the hole every time MR starts fouling like a freshman.....AND..if some of the new faces really contribute.....AND...AND...AND...IF...IF...IF...

There does seem to be more hope for next season than what existed 7 weeks ago when it looked like we could lose out the season and see mass departures. But, a lot of the variables I listed above have to break in our favor next season. The PG recruitment, IMHO, is paramount for any real success next year.

The fact that Woody can't land the prized recruits from within the state still bothers me. It's an overall reflection of what IU basketball has become to the minds of the young kids in the state. Most of us shot free throws in the driveway growing up, dreaming that we were playing for RMK and about to hit two FTs to win the big game in the Hall. None of these younglings have seen IU play at the level we old fellas did....so they're just as inclined to commit to Gonzaga as to IU. Hell I'm not sure I even knew where Gonzaga was when I was 16 yrs old. All I knew was that playing for IU was every kid's dream (or playing for PU and beating RMK/IU....if you happened to be one of those type of kids).
Pause for a moment and consider this question: What is IU basketball projected to look like in 1 year? Never mind 2 or 3 years...thats too far down the road. That's a problem.

It's too bad. With the right coach and our resources IU could be competing for B1G titles and tourney runs, which would be amazing for our players, students, school, and fans. But we don't push for that at IU. PU has been doing it for a decade with 1/2 to 2/3 the resources of IU, and they're almost certainly in the title game Monday with a 50/50 shot to get a banner in Mackey.
Purdue is doing it the right way. Recruits the state and built a foundation on it. They recruit kids that have pride wearing the jersey. Not going after hired guns for a year.

Pause for a moment and consider this question: What is IU basketball projected to look like in 1 year? Never mind 2 or 3 years...thats too far down the road. That's a problem.

Well, what IS it projected to look like in 1 year? Message board alarmists aren't usually very reliable predictors. I didn't see the mass exodus that everyone was telling us was inevitable. I see a new recruit that no one was expecting. Are we assuming that Woodson has learned nothing from last season?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT