ADVERTISEMENT

Names on back of IU jerseys

So change my mind. Like I said before, I'm open to the idea for the right reasons.

FWIW, I do appreciate the fact that you're being thought provoking about it instead of making silly emotional arguments.
I’m probably not going to. In my mind there is no wrong or right reason other than the recruiting and money factor vs tradition. It really comes down to what those involved want.

And again to my point, you aren’t the one benefitting from jersey sales but players would. If a player makes $50 or $5000, it’s their income. Not yours to deny.
I’m gen X also but I don’t behave like a rusty old tool
Hugs and kisses to you then. Bravo!

Reactions: ericrossiu
I’m probably not going to. In my mind there is no wrong or right reason other than the recruiting and money factor vs tradition. It really comes down to what those involved want.
I agree on the recruiting side. If it starts to become a detriment to getting guys, that makes sense to me. I just happen to believe that the money side of it isn't an issue.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
do players get so much as 1 cent for jersey sales, even for schools with names on the back?

do IU fball players get one cent for jersey sales, as IU does have names on the back of fball jerseys?

i don't think so, though those more in the know can fill me in on that.

those contracts are between the shoe/gear companies and the school, and any money coming to the kids would need to come from the schools themselves, and no NIL money comes from the schools themselves. (the whole point of how NIL was structured, so that not one cent would come out of the schools' pockets).

this whole names on the backs of IU bball jerseys is just the same trolling by the same trolls, who couldn't, or at least shouldn't, care less on the subject.

they just like to troll.

Given a choice, I would want to see my name on the back of my jersey. Its the 21st Century people - traditions are rooted in something unique to a program: Candy Stripes, love or hate, are synonymous to IU near and far. No names on the back is not a tradition.
A few years ago I heard a player speak on this and it made me change my mind. I can’t recall who it was. His response was that he was the first person in his family to go to college. His family was all so proud of him, but they would have loved to have been able to have seen their last name on the jersey. He was proud to represent his family. I never thought of it that way.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigMobe
do players get so much as 1 cent for jersey sales, even for schools with names on the back?

do IU fball players get one cent for jersey sales, as IU does have names on the back of fball jerseys?

i don't think so, though those more in the know can fill me in on that.

those contracts are between the shoe/gear companies and the school, and any money coming to the kids would need to come from the schools themselves, and no NIL money comes from the schools themselves. (the whole point of how NIL was structured, so that not one cent would come out of the schools' pockets).

this whole names on the backs of IU bball jerseys is just the same trolling by the same trolls, who couldn't, or at least shouldn't, care less on the subject.

they just like to troll.
If they bargain for an agreement. Google NIL Jersey deal. Lots of articles pop up. IU doesn’t yet but lots of others have them or are working on it. (Florida is one) the deals specifically address the names on jerseys. This is why we are discussing it. It’s got nothing to do with trolling. The NIL stuff can now be between players and shoe/clothing companies with IU logos. IU has one in place for our players already. I know it looks like some of us want this or advocating for it. I really don’t care either way. My take was more of what if.

Last edited:
Reactions: ribbont
And again to my point, you aren’t the one benefitting from jersey sales but players would. If a player makes $50 or $5000, it’s their income. Not yours to deny.
I’m gen X also but I don’t behave like a rusty old tool
GenX..."the gateway to Millennials"

;)

Will IU fans embrace names on back of jerseys for retail sale and on the court?
Some years ago ND FB changed their traditional helmets to bright gold. Alumni screamed bloody murder for the first three bloodies then got over it.

No names is a tradition with true meaning behind it so most of us would hate to see it go...but we would get over it pretty fast.

I do like the concept of selling NIL jerseys off court only. Seems like a good compromise.

If you can't learn 10 - 13 players by their number or their face, you're probably too dumb to read the name on the back.

Pretty sure it was a joke based on the current transient era college sports is experiencing, not a real reason for names.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
I would say it is still plenty special and growing these days. We still sell out and have a waiting list (albeit smaller). TV/Radio ratings are still high... IU drove two TV records this year with Gavit games and the IU/UM game. The game tomorrow will be a winner as well.

We are doing ok even with the disappointing results of late.

When a 'scenario" is based on BS there's little worth discussing. Or reading for that matter. Moving on
What’s BS about things happening around us. Things I’m sure are being discussed? It could happen. Probably closer to happening than it ever has. I guess you could’ve moved on before attacking people. If you don’t want to discuss then move on.

You didn’t include the lol

quit being a sensitive little rat
Lol
LOL is a refuge for those lacking wit.

Seems your forte is unwitting irony - hard to read you having an indignant hissy fit and then accusing another of being too 'sensitive' as anything else. Maybe try deep breaths. GL.

LOL is a refuge for those lacking wit.

Seems your forte is unwitting irony - hard to read you having an indignant hissy fit and then accusing another of being too 'sensitive' as anything else. Maybe try deep breaths. GL.
Seems to me you need a few deep gulps too.

Already addressed your tenuous grip on reality.
You really can’t help yourself can you. Pompous. Use your education and diction to dominate and make people feel inferior. Not everyone has the same background as you. I’m sure you are a joy to be around. Let’s have a difference of opinion. Sorry if my English isn’t up to your liberal arts degree.

You really can’t help yourself can you. Pompous. Use your education and diction to dominate and make people feel inferior. Not everyone has the same background as you. I’m sure you are a joy to be around. Let’s have a difference of opinion. Sorry if my English isn’t up to your liberal arts degree.
Precise is different than pompous. How you feel is your own affair but it's impossible to have a discussions on 'the merits' when they're manufactured, i.e., pulled out of thin air (like "50%"). That's the basis for 'diatribe', not 'discussion'. It's pointless. Not grounds for dismissing an opinion, but enough to justify ending a 'discussion'.

No issue with your English. And more fine art than liberal, and it was a minor to the science. Go IU.

Precise is different than pompous. How you feel is your own affair but it's impossible to have a discussions on 'the merits' when they're manufactured, i.e., pulled out of thin air (like "50%"). That's the basis for 'diatribe', not 'discussion'. It's pointless. Not grounds for dismissing an opinion, but enough to justify ending a 'discussion'.

No issue with your English. And more fine art than liberal, and it was a minor to the science. Go IU.

See. Doing it again. It was a hypothetical answer to a question. It was a what if. It wasn’t a stat. You don’t get the choice of ending a discussion for everyone else. Do you have to dismiss everyone just because you don’t agree? Look I get it. I am meek little nothings to some people.

Reactions: rikki-tikka-tava
See. Doing it again. It was a hypothetical answer to a question. It was a what if. It wasn’t a stat. You don’t get the choice of ending a discussion for everyone else. Do you have to dismiss everyone just because you don’t agree? Look I get it. I am meek little nothings to some people.
Groan. A contention is not an "answer", and a real answer is not "hypothetical". Discuss whatever you please, actual, specious or otherwise. I chose to end the discussion for my part, not for anyone else. And am doing so, again. Have to feed the birds - they actually appreciate my contributions and make better 'music'. Cheers.

• Sad
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Groan. A contention is not an "answer", and a real answer is not "hypothetical". Discuss whatever you please, actual, specious or otherwise. I chose to end the discussion for my part, not for anyone else. And am doing so, again. Have to feed the birds - they actually appreciate my contributions and make better 'music'. Cheers.
Good grief. Get a cat to argue with.

Reactions: ericrossiu
In the last 30 years or so every NCAA Champion has had their names on the backs of their jersey, so...were those players too selfish to be successful?
So does that mean if we put players names on the backs of their uniforms that we will win the national championship . If not then who gives a sh~t .

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT