ADVERTISEMENT

What kind of Hoosier crowd

GeorgeStrait IU

All-American
Apr 10, 2005
can we expect in Minnecessota? With the fan base 50/50, and not in Chicago or Indy, what ya think? I understood NYC one year, DC happened, but Minneapolis? I think its going to be half full at best on Saturday & Sunday. With or without IU (Or Minny) playing

I’d say a mild, not too material crowd advantage for IU. Not a big alumni base there for us, and the BTT hasn’t been kind, and this team is what it is, and it’s not an easy drive. We do have fans everywhere though.

Indy and Chicago work so much better for overall logistics for the whole conference, especially Indy.

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
We'll have as many or more fans than any team not named Minnesota or Wisconsin...would be my guess.

can we expect in Minnecessota? With the fan base 50/50, and not in Chicago or Indy, what ya think? I understood NYC one year, DC happened, but Minneapolis? I think its going to be half full at best on Saturday & Sunday. With or without IU (Or Minny) playing
I suspect small, but i was way wrong about the last couple of home games...expecting small crowds. Last night was basically full without most of the 8,000 students....so who knows.

IU dominates the attendance in Indy and does very well in Chicago. MSP is another animal altogether and a stupid place to host it.

I suspect small, but i was way wrong about the last couple of home games...expecting small crowds. Last night was basically full without most of the 8,000 students....so who knows.

IU dominates the attendance in Indy and does very well in Chicago. MSP is another animal altogether and a stupid place to host it.
would have served the powers-that-be in the B1G very well to get one of those spring time slop blizzards up there this week and foul up the entire party. Most schools will have small crowds, it's just too damn far for a road trip for most schools.

I hope the conference doesn’t try something like Vegas or LA in the future.

Indy and Chicago work. Indy is easy to get to, cheap, walkable, loves hosting, loves basketball. Chicago is a fine change of pace, more expensive and the United Center is out there, but the city has tons of B1G grads/fans and it lets visitors do some big city stuff if they want.

Indy and Chicago work. Indy is easy to get to, cheap, walkable, loves hosting, loves basketball. Chicago is a fine change of pace, more expensive and the United Center is out there, but the city has tons of B1G grads/fans and it lets visitors do some big city stuff if they want.
You know it'll change with the western schools coming in to the conference. I wouldn't be surprised to see Vegas or LA in the not too distant future. Rotate it every year. Who cares at this point. Indy is by far and away the best venue, its almost universally accepted at this point. Yet we're forcing other places like Minneapolis now. A flight is a flight, who cares if its in Vegas. Probably cheaper and easier to fly their for 3/4 of the conference now anyways.

Well you know they will. 🤣

Reactions: Klaus 7196
You know it'll change with the western schools coming in to the conference. I wouldn't be surprised to see Vegas or LA in the not too distant future. Rotate it every year. Who cares at this point. Indy is by far and away the best venue, its almost universally accepted at this point. Yet we're forcing other places like Minneapolis now. A flight is a flight, who cares if its in Vegas. Probably cheaper and easier to fly their for 3/4 of the conference now anyways.
Who cares? I guess people who want to attend the games and prefer affordable and drivable options.

It’s just a discussion topic. I’m sure the conference will try LV and LA and it will be meh.

Who cares? I guess people who want to attend the games and prefer affordable and drivable options.

It’s just a discussion topic. I’m sure the conference will try LV and LA and it will be meh.
Chicago and Indy are flying trips for some of the teams. Minny is for more of the teams. Didn't they do NY recently, thats a flier for most fanbases and schools.

I think Indy should be the permanent choice. But if they're expanding the sites, Vegas isn't any worse than Minny or NY...for "most" programs, is my point. And in many ways, its probably easier and less expensive.

Vegas makes no sense...but LA...yeah there will be a case for that shortly.

Of course, the crowds won't show up until halftime. Just like Dodgers stadium.

Edit..actually if they did Vegas and played in the Sphere...I might actually think about going. However...LA....hard pass

Hard to say but the women's tournament in Minneapolis was sold. But, if you listen to Iowa fans it was because everyone want to see the "Great Cait".

Vegas makes no sense...but LA...yeah there will be a case for that shortly.

Of course, the crowds won't show up until halftime. Just like Dodgers stadium.

Edit..actually if they did Vegas and played in the Sphere...I might actually think about going. However...LA....hard pass
Yea, LA for sure with the Pac-12 schools joining.

The sphere will host fights. Bball? Looks doable. Could be really cool if they get the graphics right to complement the game. I’ll probably hate it as I turn into an old man sports fan.

• Love
I’d damn sure pick Vegas over Minneapolis.
If its not ALWAYS at Indy...revolving sites...none of them being "home" towns for anyone, but within shouting distance of at least one B10 school.

Indy
Detroit
NY
DC
Milwaukee
Philadelphia
Portland
Cleveland

All NBA towns, all fairly close to at least 1 B10 school, but not technically home cities for any of them.

Reactions: Bucket Getter

With UCLA, USC, and other West Coast teams in the B1G, it's a given that LA will host the BTT in the not-too-distant future. Vegas, however, doesn't seem likely.

If its not ALWAYS at Indy...revolving sites...none of them being "home" towns for anyone, but within shouting distance of at least one B10 school.

Indy
Detroit
NY
DC
Milwaukee
Philadelphia
Portland
Cleveland

All NBA towns, all fairly close to at least 1 B10 school, but not technically home cities for any of them.
except this year, MSP is a home town. Target center is literally 2.5 miles from The Barn.

Not that it will matter in Minny's case.

B1G tourney in Portland? Just doesn't sound right.

With UCLA, USC, and other West Coast teams in the B1G, it's a given that LA will host the BTT in the not-too-distant future. Vegas, however, doesn't seem likely.
After what our IU team managed to do in Chicago/Evanston last year, keep them away from Vegas.

or was that 2 yrs ago?

Either way...Vegas is a bad idea

Indy
Detroit
NY
DC
Milwaukee
Philadelphia
Portland
Cleveland

Most of those cities are sh—holes. No thank you. I’ll stay home.

• Love

Indy
Detroit
NY
DC
Milwaukee
Philadelphia
Portland
Cleveland

There are a lot more IU fans in Indy than Btown.

Indy and Chicago work so much better for overall logistics for the whole conference, especially Indy.

Not anymore. Indy is a fourth tier airport, at best. It's a nightmare to get there for fans from the coasts or even Western Midwest.

I’d say a mild, not too material crowd advantage for IU. Not a big alumni base there for us, and the BTT hasn’t been kind, and this team is what it is, and it’s not an easy drive. We do have fans everywhere though.

I agree about Indy and Chicago, but that has been lessened by going from 10 to 20 teams.

Last edited:
Indy is a reasonably easy drive for seven schools, longer drive for three. Plenty of direct flights for Rutgers and Maryland. The western schools it's a little tougher travel, but it's better than everyone going to them. Maybe they should have kept the Pac-12 alive.

Plenty of much bigger events in Indy than the BTT. Doesn't have to be Indy or Chicago, but may as well keep it to where the most fans can easily get to it.

Last edited:
Good guess. Nebraska is having a good. Is that a drivable distance?
Six hours. Nebraska fans travel very well for football, and they’re excited about their bball team, so I expect them to have a good showing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT