ADVERTISEMENT

Should IU start putting names on the back of the jerseys?

One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

We should not treat traditions as sacred cows. FWIW, I don't think that candy-striped warmups and Martha the Mop Lady are the problem. But that we're so hesitant to accept change is -- and the devotion to nameless jerseys is symbolic of that.

We don't just need "a competent coach." We need more than that. We need a paradigm shift -- a new coach will be necessary to have that. But hiring a new coaching staff without allowing more fundamental change to occur will likely (IMO) just lead to another disappointment and the belief that the problem is that we still just haven't found the right guy.

IMO - I disagree. The problems with this team stem from the coach and his insistence on running a 2000's style NBA offence and his coaching staff's lack of ability to recruit a balanced team. The stadium, facilities, uniforms and fan support are not the problem.

IMO - I disagree. The problems with this team stem from the coach and his insistence on running a 2000's style NBA offence and his coaching staff's lack of ability to recruit a balanced team. The stadium, facilities, uniforms and fan support are not the problem.

I'm not saying that the stadium, facilities, uniforms, and fan support are the problem.

I'm saying that our unwillingness to change the program's culture (as symbolized by things like having names on the uniforms) is the problem....and the reason we keep having repeated disappointments.

Of course we want to get the right guy. These aren't mutually exclusive ideas. But we should also go into it with the understanding that the right guy should (and should be allowed to) shake some things up in ways that might make some of us uncomfortable.

And I do think one of those things should be adding names.

I'm not saying that the stadium, facilities, uniforms, and fan support are the problem.

I'm saying that our unwillingness to change the program's culture (as symbolized by things like having names on the uniforms) is the problem....and the reason we keep having repeated disappointments.

Of course we want to get the right guy. These aren't mutually exclusive ideas. But we should also go into it with the understanding that the right guy should (and should be allowed to) shake some things up in ways that might make some of us uncomfortable.

And I do think one of those things should be adding names.
That's fair. I'd argue the premise of not having names on the back is no longer valid - in the new NIL/NBA development/1 year at a time contract league - none of the top players are playing for the name on front anymore. Time to rip off the bandaid.

One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

We should not treat traditions as sacred cows. FWIW, I don't think that candy-striped warmups and Martha the Mop Lady are the problem. But that we're so hesitant to accept change is -- and the devotion to nameless jerseys is symbolic of that.

We don't just need "a competent coach." We need more than that. We need a paradigm shift -- a new coach will be necessary to have that. But hiring a new coaching staff without allowing more fundamental change to occur will likely (IMO) just lead to another disappointment and the belief that the problem is that we still just haven't found the right guy.
All we need is a competent coach. When IU has a good coach, it wins big.

McCracken, RMK, Sampson...even Crean had bright spots.

This is not a Chicken or Egg situation. We need a Chicken (good coach), and he'll bring the eggs.

Getting rid of all the "IU things" is unnecessary. And frankly, its just avoiding the actual problem and solution.

All we need is a competent coach. When IU has a good coach, it wins big.

McCracken, RMK, Sampson...even Crean had bright spots.

This is not a Chicken or Egg situation. We need a Chicken (good coach), and he'll bring the eggs.

Getting rid of all the "IU things" is unnecessary. And frankly, its just avoiding the actual problem and solution.
We need a ROOSTER for a coach for all you city folks.

Whether we like it or not, the names on jerseys being broadcast on national television offer exposure to people who are very much interested in exposure. Nothing they will ever do for NIL money gets the eyeballs that actual games do.

Why would we want to cede this edge to competing programs in recruiting which don't restrict their players' ability to get this added extra publicity?

Is this a huge, massive deal? No -- I wouldn't say that. But is it nil? No, I don't think it's nil, either.

Honest question. When was the last time (or anytime) you looked to read the players name on the back of their jersey while watching TV to know who they were?

I would argue to say... you can't really read the names on the back of the jerseys, so it is pretty much irrelevant. The publicity comes from the announcer saying their name while making plays. So go make some really good f'in plays.

Reactions: nichlee
They have NIL . IU should be IU.

IU continues to be IU. Maybe that's part of the problem. I have nothing against traditions, but it's beginning to feel as if a group of people (some with money) are more interested in Being Indiana than they are in actually winning.

As far as names on the jerseys, years ago I would have been opposed but today I'd say who cares? I don't really know if it's actually a big thing with today's players, but if it is then let's put the names on the jerseys.

Whether we like it or not, the names on jerseys being broadcast on national television offer exposure to people who are very much interested in exposure. Nothing they will ever do for NIL money gets the eyeballs that actual games do.

Why would we want to cede this edge to competing programs in recruiting which don't restrict their players' ability to get this added extra publicity?

Is this a huge, massive deal? No -- I wouldn't say that. But is it nil? No, I don't think it's nil, either.
If they aRE GOOD, THE PROS know who they are.

Take off the Indiana and add the names of the boosters that each individual is playing for. The size of the lettering on the jersey should correspond with how much money they are getting from that booster.
Great idea! But don’t stop there. Have the NIL sponsors pay to put their names on the jerseys. Like NASCAR. What about hats? Make everybody wear a hat filled with logos, except when they’re on the court. Maybe Woody could put a tat on his head!

also, something is wrong when the biggest sponsorship of radio basketball and football is about not digging in your yard without calling them first.

I always found the argument that you should not have names on the back of jerseys to be very strange. The line of thought seems to be that you are not playing for yourself but for the team.

Then, the corollary, it would seem, is that teams that DO have names on the jersey are NOT team players. You know, just about every other team in existence.

Are UConn's players selfish me-first dudes because they have names on their jerseys? No. How about Indiana State? No. How about N. C. State? No. Ditto 300+ other college teams, including every champion I can think of this century.

if kids want their names on the back, let them have their names on the back.

Reactions: Tammany Hall
IU continues to be IU. Maybe that's part of the problem. I have nothing against traditions, but it's beginning to feel as if a group of people (some with money) are more interested in Being Indiana than they are in actually winning.

As far as names on the jerseys, years ago I would have been opposed but today I'd say who cares? I don't really know if it's actually a big thing with today's players, but if it is then let's put the names on the jerseys.
All IU needs is three things: Dust polish to wipe down the trophies in the trophy case every month or so....A vacuum cleaner to clean the dust off of the banners maybe quarterly...so Simon Skodt Hall looks nice....and a new cash register...surely the one they use to count the cash is wore out by now. I would have added a new golf cart for the head coach....but that would have been insensitive.

All IU needs is three things: Dust polish to wipe down the trophies in the trophy case every month or so....A vacuum cleaner to clean the dust off of the banners maybe quarterly...so Simon Skodt Hall looks nice....and a new cash register...surely the one they use to count the cash is wore out by now. I would have added a new golf cart for the head coach....but that would have been insensitive.
When I come down for little 5 I may find myself wandering in to AH looking for a place to relieve myself. Maybe I can squeeze in a photo or 2 with the other tourists?
Those old relics are pretty cool to look at.

(Though I prefer what’s hanging on the walls at Nicks)

Maybe this year they’ll be selling winter hats at the race in case it’s windy again? Hopefully this years race will have another exciting finish.

I always found the argument that you should not have names on the back of jerseys to be very strange. The line of thought seems to be that you are not playing for yourself but for the team.

Then, the corollary, it would seem, is that teams that DO have names on the jersey are NOT team players. You know, just about every other team in existence.

Are UConn's players selfish me-first dudes because they have names on their jerseys? No. How about Indiana State? No. How about N. C. State? No. Ditto 300+ other college teams, including every champion I can think of this century.

if kids want their names on the back, let them have their names on the back.
Remember, when the lawyer took the names off of the football jerseys for a season. I felt sorry for CTA at the time because he was a new coach and was stuck between a rock and a hard place. Fast forward a couple seasons, and the Indiana basketball program was too good to host an NIT game. And now they’re too good to play in the NIT.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT