ADVERTISEMENT

Should IU start putting names on the back of the jerseys?

I’d say yes. Personally, I think it would look better than that IU logo we put on the back of the jerseys. I’d consider buying a player jersey, but not the way they look now in the stores. They look terrible and generic. I’m all for history, but we obviously need some type of change. Also, remove the 5 stars from the shorts. None of these players have earned those.

I’d say yes. Personally, I think it would look better than that IU logo we put on the back of the jerseys. I’d consider buying a player jersey, but not the way they look now in the stores. They look terrible and generic. I’m all for history, but we obviously need some type of change. Also, remove the 5 stars from the shorts. None of these players have earned those.
Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

I’d be fine with it.

And I squawked as much as anybody when Mike Davis floated the idea way back when.

With NIL, pay for play and the revolving door that is portal recruiting, these players obviously aren't coming to good ol IU because it says Indiana on the front. The times a be changing, and we all know Hoosier fans are NOT good with change.
IDK, but please take the 5* off of the asses. The kids wearing them haven't accomplished any of that.

Take off the Indiana and add the names of the boosters that each individual is playing for. The size of the lettering on the jersey should correspond with how much money they are getting from that booster.

I say NO, Why do you have to be like everybody else? Does it make it right? We are Indiana. We are not like everyone else.

Reactions: kmathum
I say NO, Why do you have to be like everybody else? Does it make it right? We are Indiana. We are not like everyone else.
I’d like to be lot more like the teams still playing.

This program is choking itself to death on that “we are Indiana” crap. We rarely make the tourney and when we do we’re rarely competitive. We finish .500 or below in conference more times than not.

Dolson needs to go into his office with a loaded Nerf Blaster. Lay it on his desk and just say-Do the honorable thing-and leave.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: dr.jb
I’d like to be lot more like the teams still playing.

This program is choking itself to death on that “we are Indiana” crap. We rarely make the tourney and when we do we’re rarely competitive. We finish .500 or below in conference more times than not.
It is not crap. We are not like everybody else. I believe there are only 1 or 3 teams in the country that wear candy stripes.

• Haha
Reactions: H00SIER-Cat
There's a reason why we still have a faint beating heartbeat keeping our "blue blood" status alive. The problem isn't the traditions, like the jerseys, warmups, Martha, Under 8 minute flags... The traditions are still why we were the number 1 attendance team in the conference, and why our NIL budget is the biggest in the conference.
Just go get a competent coach, and all those things will get back to sources of immense pride...vs a painful reminder of good memories that are fading more and more each mediocre season.

There's a reason why we still have a faint beating heartbeat keeping our "blue blood" status alive. The problem isn't the traditions, like the jerseys, warmups, Martha, Under 8 minute flags... The traditions are still why we were the number 1 attendance team in the conference, and why our NIL budget is the biggest in the conference.
Just go get a competent coach, and all those things will get back to sources of immense pride...vs a painful reminder of good memories that are fading more and more each mediocre season.

One definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

We should not treat traditions as sacred cows. FWIW, I don't think that candy-striped warmups and Martha the Mop Lady are the problem. But that we're so hesitant to accept change is -- and the devotion to nameless jerseys is symbolic of that.

We don't just need "a competent coach." We need more than that. We need a paradigm shift -- a new coach will be necessary to have that. But hiring a new coaching staff without allowing more fundamental change to occur will likely (IMO) just lead to another disappointment and the belief that the problem is that we still just haven't found the right guy.

They have NIL . IU should be IU.

Whether we like it or not, the names on jerseys being broadcast on national television offer exposure to people who are very much interested in exposure. Nothing they will ever do for NIL money gets the eyeballs that actual games do.

Why would we want to cede this edge to competing programs in recruiting which don't restrict their players' ability to get this added extra publicity?

Is this a huge, massive deal? No -- I wouldn't say that. But is it nil? No, I don't think it's nil, either.

...but, they wore those black death jerseys for one game. That was non-traditional.

Put names on jerseys; it won't make any difference in the quality of outcomes. Success hinges on having a coach/leader with the vision and force of will to wrestle control away from the university politicians and drive excellence back into the team and culture, while recognizing and bringing in talent that values the team more than their individual stock ratings.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT