ADVERTISEMENT

Names on back of IU jerseys

But they don't have names on them. And even if they did I'd still want IU to stand firm against the lemmings.
My comment specifically was in regards to the poster saying IUs uniform was like Notre Dames helmet

No. Leave it off.
Why? What potential damage does it create by allowing players to have names on the back of the jersey?
I’m not sold it takes away from the team first mentality. But I do see how it can entice a player to take ownership of that jersey and responsibility wearing it

just my opinion

Why? What potential damage does it create by allowing players to have names on the back of the jersey?
I’m not sold it takes away from the team first mentality. But I do see how it can entice a player to take ownership of that jersey and responsibility wearing it

just my opinion
Because it’s different to NOT have the players name on it. It’s part of why makes IU special and of course the aforementioned “team” talk. As other posters already pointed out, we can have both.

Because it’s different to NOT have the players name on it. It’s part of why makes IU special and of course the aforementioned “team” talk. As other posters already pointed out, we can have both.
IU is getting less special every day.

Have both? Might have missed that post!

Well it hasn’t produced.

As a basketball program is it more beneficial to appease the 50+ crowd or future basketball players looking to benefit from NIL deals?
You’ve seen the premium section.🤣 IU has been holding on to tradition that doesn’t matter as much as it used to. They will continue to probably.

Reactions: ericrossiu
IU basketball uniforms have gone through numerous changes over the years. Though subtle to a non fan, still big enough for IU fans to recognize
Colors, fonts, style, stars on shorts.

I have lots of IU gear (authentic shorts and jerseys) totally different looks but same numbers on different jerseys I’ve collected.
moving forward it would be cool to have the players name on back.
the Eric Gordon 23 looks quite different then Kieth Smarts 23
Wouldn’t the lack of the name and just the number, but same as another numbered player, with a differing style make the Jersey more valuable in the collectible market?

just my opinion
It takes away from a team mentality, which is why the jerseys only say "Indiana". That isn't something that changes over time. If a kid won't go to an Adidas school or a school without names, then that is fine.

The athlete's take on jersey sales wouldn't move the NIL needle. @Cavanagh probably pays guys double or triple what their jersey sales would provide.

If you're going to blow up the tradition, at least do it for a valid reason.

So if we put the players names on the back the team will play better???
Not what I said. It’s silly to say its a team thing to dismiss names on jerseys when we haven’t had success in 20 plus years without them. Putting names on jerseys has zero effect on team play regardless. Inmho it’s a stupid argument.

Reactions: ericrossiu
The athlete's take on jersey sales wouldn't move the NIL needle. @Cavanagh probably pays guys double or triple what their jersey sales would provide.

How about maybe players and 50% of fans want it. I mean that isn’t stupid.

The Future?
Each player can sell advertising space on their headband
Each player can sell 6 in square space on their jersey for ad space (logo only)
Name on the back of jersey for jersey sales
individual shoe deals with shoe companies to wear the shoes in games

Bring on the 5 stars!!?

Well Florida, Ohio state etc are signing group deals for names on jerseys. If it wasn’t profitable they wouldn’t do it. This really is probably coming in some form.
Maybe it's coming, but from all I've read, the jersey group deals are at successful football schools.

It takes away from a team mentality, which is why the jerseys only say "Indiana". That isn't something that changes over time. If a kid won't go to an Adidas school or a school without names, then that is fine.
Do soldiers in the military have their last names on the uniforms they wear?
Is there any proof the name takes away from the team first mentality you claim to be so vital?

Reactions: birdforbogey
Not what I said. It’s silly to say its a team thing to dismiss names on jerseys when we haven’t had success in 20 plus years without them. Putting names on jerseys has zero effect on team play regardless. Inmho it’s a stupid argument.
Meanwhile teams with names on the back are winning championships. Playing as a team!

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Wouldn’t the lack of the name and just the number, but same as another numbered player, with a differing style make the Jersey more valuable in the collectible market?
Depends on who’s collecting it

but sports memorabilia shops have jerseys signed and unless it’s a Yankees jersey have a players name in the back.
I would like a Smart jersey and a Gordon jersey. Both wore same number or CC and zeller for instance.

Good to see you are ok with players losing potential $ to keep your fragile ego and need for a tradition that holds no weight.
Triggered boomers lol

Good to see you are ok with players losing potential $ to keep your fragile ego and need for a tradition that holds no weight.
Triggered boomers lol
Why do you hate it so much? That’s the real question. I already pointed out that if it’s so important we could permit players to sell custom jerseys earlier in this thread, so your argument above is basically meaningless.

Why do you hate it so much? That’s the real question. I already pointed out that if it’s so important we could permit players to sell custom jerseys earlier in this thread, so your argument above is basically meaningless.
Hate it? I don’t, but I’m not going to hold onto something as silly as no names on jerseys.

love the candy stripes and IUs warm ups. I even like them wearing same shoes from what I’ve seen. But names are different to me

Triggered boomers lol
You seem to be the triggered one here. Boomer? LOL. I'm Gen X, you typical little millennial.

See how ridiculous that sounds?

All I said was NIL money isn't a significant factor when it comes to potential jersey sales. If you want to refute that with something of substance, knock yourself out. I'm open to hearing more.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
You seem to be the triggered one here. Boomer? LOL. I'm Gen X, you typical little millennial.

All I said was NIL money isn't a significant factor when it comes to potential jersey sales. If you want to refute that with something of substance, knock yourself out. I'm open to hearing more.
None of us know that. What is significant? Depends on the player.

None of us know that. What is significant? Depends on the player.
So change my mind. Like I said before, I'm open to the idea for the right reasons.

FWIW, I do appreciate the fact that you're being thought provoking about it instead of making silly emotional arguments.

And again to my point, you aren’t the one benefitting from jersey sales but players would. If a player makes $50 or $5000, it’s their income. Not yours to deny.
I’m gen X also but I don’t behave like a rusty old tool

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT