ADVERTISEMENT

New Doyle Indy Star column today is a doozie

OK fine. But a fanbase will turn toxic during a year like this one. I don't blame the McNeelys, but I don't blame the fans either.
This fan base has entirely every right to give as good as we get in terms of toxicity with regard to how this administration is managing the program. Period.

Reactions: salient43
Call Billy Donovan and ask him....."What would it take, Billy?....Just tell us what it would take." If and when the response is anything but "No".....you go and get that guy.. The entire college basketball world would experience shock and awe......including me.

Reactions: nichlee
Call Billy Donovan and ask him....."What would it take, Billy?....Just tell us what it would take." If and when the response is anything but "No".....you go and get that guy.. The entire college basketball world would experience shock and awe......including me.
I don’t think he wants back into the cesspool of college basketball.

Dysfunctional fan base is definitely a big part of the problem. I’m a former Hoosier captains son. I spent a large part of last 20 years living overseas and on my return I have been shocked with the state of dysfunction in our family. It’s getting hard to be a part of the negative shit show.
If our fan base is dysfunctional, it’s that we don’t expect good performance. We tolerate bad to mediocre results. and people say, well, this isn’t the 70s or 80s anymore. People celebrate that Woodson has gotten us to the tourney 2 out of 3 years.

IU is a bottom of the pack P5 sports program. the dysfunction is that too many IU fans don’t realize that.

If our fan base is dysfunctional, it’s that we don’t expect good performance. We tolerate bad to mediocre results. and people say, well, this isn’t the 70s or 80s anymore. People celebrate that Woodson has gotten us to the tourney 2 out of 3 years.

IU is a bottom of the pack P5 sports program. the dysfunction is that too many IU fans don’t realize that.
funny. So far this year IU has won more conference championships than any other Big Ten school.

If kids were easily immune to it, then we wouldn’t have congressional hearings with social media platforms about what they’ve done to combat these issues because of the mental health situation facing Gen

funny. So far this year IU has won more conference championships than any other Big Ten school.
Dodgeball?

It’s very critical of Woodson, and declares that there is no way that Woodson survives next year. Then he blames the IU fan base and the internet based media that covers the team. And he states that both are very large and toxic.
Doyle is a click seaking social Justice warrior. Whatever can generate the most clicks he will write content to. Next year if IU is winning, he’ll say complete opposite of what he is saying now. Dude is a loser.

Last edited:
Reactions: ulrey
In sports 95% of fans in America don’t care about. There are 2 sports that count. If it makes people feel better that we are good in minor sports, good for them.
Then say that. Some of us are more than just basketball fans.

You said P5 sports program. That’s more encompassing than 2 sports.

Maybe he is just tired of it all. The guy leaves MSU and brings his family to Indiana. Then they fire him after one year.
Woodson fired him, not IU. Funny how he has the authority to hire and fire no questions asked....but when it comes to him.... he has the discretion and authority. "Im not going anywhere any time soon....I'm just not".

Then say that. Some of us are more than just basketball fans.

You said P5 sports program. That’s more encompassing than 2 sports.
Naw, I shouldn’t have to explain that to anyone. They should know that. Unfortunately, it’s thinking that IU is a good sports program because of sports with super small viewership that makes IU take too long to correct mistakes.

Years ago.....this cartoon was posted about President Reagan.....(disclaimer: the media didn't like him...so this was common in those days...it just happens to be a political joke). I offer it because it reminds me of the tone-deaf disconnect between IU leadership and its basketball fanbase:

The president was walking on Pennsylvania Ave. in front of the White House...mingling with the public. He came upon a tattered, skinny, dirty gentleman...who was sitting inside a cardboard box. The guy said: "Mr. President!...Mr. President!...You gotta help me! The president paused, and said: What seems to be the problem?" The guy said..."As you can see, Mr. President....I'm cold, wet and hungry....I don't even have any shelter". The president responded: "What? No shelter? Son.... What you need to do is open up an IRA".

Pepperdine

you know, I wasn't that impressed w Pepperdine. I mean, it's on a big hill on your way to Malibu on the PCH, but it looked tiny to me. It was pretty, sure. But a sprawling campus? No. Pepperdine is the Butler of Malibu.

Yea. College FB changed and Nebraska has a harder time recruiting to the middle of nowhere. Plus they can’t roid up their corn-fed big boys anymore.

Nothing has changed in college basketball such that IU can’t be good. Bloomington is 50 minutes from a pretty big city and is easily accessible. Indiana still produces lots of talent if we want to recruit it.

We may not be good again like Nebraska, but the reasons are different.
NB is a good comparison as far as football goes, but the logistics are so different because there are so many more players and needs. Bball you need a decent bench, a couple role players and a couple special players. Way easier to build a winning bball program in Btown IN especially, but anywhere in America than recruiting for a football roster to Lincoln NB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT