ADVERTISEMENT

New Doyle Indy Star column today is a doozie

Just when I think, despite not agreeing with you very often, that you're calm and measured, you say something like this.

You're talking about a group of 25 people on here, if that? Almost exclusively heard by no one else except themselves. And what exactly is it that's toxic?

I swear, anyone who says fans are the problem...
Here. Twitter. An echo chamber but a huge one. Look at the followings of Assembly Call, Hoosier Hysterics, and all of the other twitter accounts that are IU hoops centric.

We're no different than any other major program that has a history of high level play and success. The problem we have is all the other programs with a history like ours, have seen an appropriate amount of success in the last 30 years.

IU, Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, North Carolina, Villanova, Arizona, Louisville...THAT was our peer group until the mid/late 90s...UConn has forged their way in to that group. Since then, all of those schools have been appropriately successful versus their historical track record. We haven't. So we're pissed. But we're still at the games, and we're still here discussing it.

Everything else about our program has remained elite...NIL, facilities, ability to attract high level recruits...why, in the hell, should our fan base change their expectations?
You can’t honestly look at the online behavior of IU fans over the past week or so and call that healthy.

Just when I think, despite not agreeing with you very often, that you're calm and measured, you say something like this.

You're talking about a group of 25 people on here, if that? Almost exclusively heard by no one else except themselves. And what exactly is it that's toxic?

I swear, anyone who says fans are the problem...
Btw I looked. Assembly Call has 37k followers. Barstool IU has 63k. That’s a lot more than 25.

They gotta blame someboy I guess. Imagine if kentucky was going through what IU was their fans would be burning down rupp arena.
If Kentucky came anywhere close to being in the position IU is in today, they would correct it. Kentucky simply cares more about basketball than IU and they are far superior in hoops along with a lengthy list of other schools who are more relevant than IU. Unfortunately IU has become irrelevant to everyone but their fan base.

Utter BS and nonsense.

Why is it that toxic fans don't affect UK at all from bringing in major talent every year? You think UNC fans were "chill" when Doherty was failing?

This is a tired and lame excuse.

If everybody acted like willdog, would Woodson somehow become elite overnight magically?

Once Mike Davis left the toxic fans behind, how did he do? He's been fired 3 more times since. Are the Detroit Mercy fans toxic as well?

How about Tom Crean? Were toxic Georgia fans why he failed miserably and was fired?

Is Archies problem at RI because of their toxic fans?

I'm also assuming that Woodson, Buckner, Isaiah, and Wittman all have failing NBA records due to the toxic fans holding them back. Surely had nothing to do with their elite coaching skills.
Careful...those Rhode Island Rams basketball fans are as fanatical as any in the land....almost as irrational as those over-the-top Detroit Mercy Fans.

And Tom Crean failed at GA because they are a basketball-crazed school. He should have gone to a football school.

See how stupid all that sounds?

If we as a fan base are toxic, it's because this university has profited off of lifelong loyal fans while not keeping their end of the bargain. Only message they will actually listen to next year will be empty seats. If you want to get the beancounters' attention, give them lowering revenues to analyze.

Last edited:
Btw I looked. Assembly Call has 37k followers. Barstool IU has 63k. That’s a lot more than 25.

Originally I thought you were referring to the message boards.

With respect to Assembly Call - they don't do or say anything bad. I don't think they're particularly sharp but whatever.

In terms of Barstool... well, I mean, we all know what Barstool is about. I don't follow them but they look like they're against Woodson. And they'll be goofy about it.

Hoosier Hysterics? A couple of homos who are absolute cancers to the IU brand. I despise them and don't think anyone or anything reflects more poorly on IU than those two morons.

Even so, I'm guessing serious sites like Assembly Call, Inside the Hall, The Daily Hoosier, etc. are followed for their passing on of IU news - not because they opine one way or the other. If you look at the traffic on each of their posts in terms of comments it's almost nill. Barstool, which is goofy, has the most and it's only ever around 20 comments.

There's a lot of duplication of followers, too. It's not like you add the 37K to the 63K. And virtually none of them are actually commenting on those sites.

But, those sites do retweet one individual's tweet of someone saying, "fans are toxic" and then someone else does and so on and so on. Even so, there's only like a couple of people actually saying that with a bunch of nimrods retweeting it and all of the sudden it's some crazy narrative out there. Just like anything else - a handful of people say something crazy and it's presented as if "the fanbase" is saying it.

It's not true. And it's pretty easy to refute - like so many media narratives about anything.

Just the way I look at it.

Originally I thought you were referring to the message boards.

With respect to Assembly Call - they don't do or say anything bad. I don't think they're particularly sharp but whatever.

In terms of Barstool... well, I mean, we all know what Barstool is about. I don't follow them but they look like they're against Woodson. And they'll be goofy about it.

Hoosier Hysterics? A couple of homos who are absolute cancers to the IU brand. I despise them and don't think anyone or anything reflects more poorly on IU than those two morons.

Even so, I'm guessing serious sites like Assembly Call, Inside the Hall, The Daily Hoosier, etc. are followed for their passing on of IU news - not because they opine one way or the other. If you look at the traffic on each of their posts in terms of comments it's almost nill. Barstool, which is goofy, has the most and it's only ever around 20 comments.

There's a lot of duplication of followers, too. It's not like you add the 37K to the 63K. And virtually none of them are actually commenting on those sites.

But, those sites do retweet one individual's tweet of someone saying, "fans are toxic" and then someone else does and so on and so on. Even so, there's only like 20 people actually saying that and all of the sudden it's some crazy narrative out there. Just like anything else - a handful of people say something crazy and it's presented as if its "the fanbase".

It's not true. And it's pretty easy to refute - like so many media narratives about anything.

Just the way I look at it.
I have never listened to hooier hysterics but I hear they are complete tools. Not sure how they even have a following from what I have heard.

• Love
Reactions: Seyton
I just read it. He nailed it. And of course this place isn't much better than Peegs. Basically the same, just probably smaller. And people on here will whine and cry that fans aren't the problem (they're not the only one...there are several). But we're the basketball version of Tennessee football fans. Toxic.
Shocker!!

Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
I agree the fan base in not the problem but were part of one of the McNeely rumors on decommitment. There were several and I have no idea which parts are true and which are just for click bait. Here are three I heard on McNeely.

1. Woodson has not talked to him or the family in three months.
2. He and the family watched and hoped that we ran a good offense, but once Woodson was retained decided he was not a good fit.
3. McNeely and family have been following and the toxic fan base was such a turn off that he decided to decommit.

Personally, I have no idea which parts or if any of those are true. I can't believe that a player would not come based on a fan base but that might be part of the reason they change their mind.

Reactions: Al Bino
I agree the fan base in not the problem but were part of one of the McNeely rumors on decommitment. There were several and I have no idea which parts are true and which are just for click bait. Here are three I heard on McNeely.

2. He and the family watched and hoped that we ran a good offense, but once Woodson was retained decided he was not a good fit.
3. McNeely and family have been following and the toxic fan base was such a turn off that he decided to decommit.

Personally, I have no idea which parts or if any of those are true. I can't believe that a player would not come based on a fan base but that might be part of the reason they change their mind.

OK fine. But a fanbase will turn toxic during a year like this one. I don't blame the McNeelys, but I don't blame the fans either.

OK fine. But a fanbase will turn toxic during a year like this one. I don't blame the McNeelys, but I don't blame the fans either.
I don't disagree with you but I don't really believe that plays a part in a recruits decision that much. If you follow closely there has also been many mentions about how great a fan base both IU basketball programs have.

This time next season will be even way worse with the results on the court. I guess that will be the fans fault again. Please, let the hall sit 9,000 empty seats a game next season. I want to see Mr Ego and his bff own a 8-21 4-16 season next year. The only thing that will bring me joy about next season.

I would tend to think that kids become somewhat immune to social media negativity. Yes, the IU bball environment is much larger than other experiences they’ve had. But if McNeely is attuned to social media, then he knows that every topic has a level of toxicity. Some people troll mean sh*t just for fun and the average 18 yr old has seen a bunch of it. IU bball would be tame compared to some of the other stuff. And again, it’s present in every program to varying degrees.

I would tend to think that kids become somewhat immune to social media negativity. Yes, the IU bball environment is much larger than other experiences they’ve had. But if McNeely is attuned to social media, then he knows that every topic has a level of toxicity. Some people troll mean sh*t just for fun and the average 18 yr old has seen a bunch of it. IU bball would be tame compared to some of the other stuff. And again, it’s present in every program to varying degrees.
If kids were easily immune to it, then we wouldn’t have congressional hearings with social media platforms about what they’ve done to combat these issues because of the mental health situation facing Gen Z

If kids were easily immune to it, then we wouldn’t have congressional hearings with social media platforms about what they’ve done to combat these issues because of the mental health situation facing Gen Z
Ready comprehension obviously not your thing. Notice that I said “somewhat immune”. But you clearly implied that I meant “kids were easily immune”. Do you see the difference?

Reactions: ulrey

Any fanbase toxicity at IU is totally forgivable. IU fans, unlike every other historical blue blood, have endured trainwreck after trainwreck in the coaching hire. Now...IU is no longer a blue blood. That took some doing. No fan base has been more loyal and tolerant at this level than Indianas. If I have any complaint about the fanbase..its that PT Barnum was right about us.

I just read it. He nailed it. And of course this place isn't much better than Peegs. Basically the same, just probably smaller. And people on here will whine and cry that fans aren't the problem (they're not the only one...there are several). But we're the basketball version of Tennessee football fans. Toxic.
Beginning to think there’s a portion of folks that would really like this program to be Iowa. Half empty arena that is apathetic about results. You can’t have it both ways. If Indiana is going to market itself as a blue blood then you’re going to have to take what comes with it. Passion and emotional investment isn’t a 1-way street. You hire a coach that comes in talking about B1G and national championships, pay him $4.5 million and in the era of NIL can’t put a recruiting class together nor a product on the floor that recruits apparently want to be a part of…you want to blame the fans?? Bullshit. Fan frustration is the symptom of the real problem, not the cause.

The difference between Nebraska football v. Indiana basketball is opportunity/proximity to recruits and the amount of stars you need to have a successful program.

In other words, there is no excuse for Indiana to not be good. Not so sure about Nebraska in this day and age where the majority of top level football players are coming out of the Southeast or Texas. The ones that do come out of the Midwest, would you prefer Columbus, Ann Arbor, Madison, or Lincoln? Nebraska just doesn't have a very fertile recruiting base.
Where were the Nebby recruits coming from when they won their titles?

They were coming from everywhere or anywhere but they were coming to play for Osborne just like IU recruits came to play for the General.

Nebraska football and IU hoops are a perfect comparison.

Peegs is generally more rah rah than this place and doesn’t have the long debates and bashing that we see here.

A huge difference is that rival fans are tolerated but the crap we see here from the dozens of trolls is not tolerated

The support by many there of the cringe brothers is not a pretty sight Lot of people here dislike Rabjohns but I find him pretty informative. I like Matt Weaver a lot for FB info.

Beginning to think there’s a portion of folks that would really like this program to be Iowa. Half empty arena that is apathetic about results. You can’t have it both ways. If Indiana is going to market itself as a blue blood then you’re going to have to take what comes with it. Passion and emotional investment isn’t a 1-way street. You hire a coach that comes in talking about B1G and national championships, pay him $4.5 million and in the era of NIL can’t put a recruiting class together nor a product on the floor that recruits apparently want to be a part of…you want to blame the fans?? Bullshit. Fan frustration is the symptom of the real problem, not the cause.

Nobody wants that, but that will be the end result once all the older types are gone and even 40 year olds have nothing to remember or cheer about.

I'd like to think we can still turn it around, but each year we become less and less like our old self.

When McNeeley committed: “All over the country, I’ve had fans come up to me, tell me to go to Indiana. It’s crazy.”

I really doubt the fans are a material problem. They’re a big net positive.

When the program implodes fans are forced to discuss an imploded program. It’s not their fault the facts are not good.

Last edited:
I have never listened to hooier hysterics but I hear they are complete tools. Not sure how they even have a following from what I have heard.
They get some good guests, is basically it, like Coyle. You have to put up with the hosts, if you want to hear their guests. Listen to the HH interviews of Sara Scalia and especially Jerry Yeagley. The Yeagley one should be required listening for any Hoosier fan!

Where were the Nebby recruits coming from when they won their titles?

They were coming from everywhere or anywhere but they were coming to play for Osborne just like IU recruits came to play for the General.

Nebraska football and IU hoops are a perfect comparison.
The 75 IU squad started 3 Hoosier HS recruits 1 Ohio and 1 Illinois with Abernathy and Laz (Hoosiers) off the bench. Indiana could recruit at home and the 4 surrounding states and win championships. This is basketball country.

The 75 IU squad started 3 Hoosier HS recruits 1 Ohio and 1 Illinois with Abernathy and Laz (Hoosiers) off the bench. Indiana could recruit at home and the 4 surrounding states and win championships. This is basketball country.
Yea. College FB changed and Nebraska has a harder time recruiting to the middle of nowhere. Plus they can’t roid up their corn-fed big boys anymore.

Nothing has changed in college basketball such that IU can’t be good. Bloomington is 50 minutes from a pretty big city and is easily accessible. Indiana still produces lots of talent if we want to recruit it.

We may not be good again like Nebraska, but the reasons are different.

Woodson thinks because he was a star player and spent time in the league he is also a great coach. He is arrogant and can’t see his own flaws. He refuses to look in the mirror. Buckner and Dolson are accomplices in bringing this program to its knees. The fanbase is not toxic but rather disgusted with incompetence at several levels. Frankly none of them seem to be very bright. The only thing fans can do to solve the problem is by bringing financial consequences to can them. This is a clown show. An embarrassment to the state and a once proud program.

Woodson thinks because he was a star player and spent time in the league he is also a great coach. He is arrogant and can’t see his own flaws. He refuses to look in the mirror. Buckner and Dolson are accomplices in bringing this program to its knees. The fanbase is not toxic but rather disgusted with incompetence at several levels. Frankly none of them seem to be very bright. The only thing fans can do to solve the problem is by bringing financial consequences to can them. This is a clown show. An embarrassment to the state and a once proud program.
Appears the big donor boosters are behind Woody.

Reactions: ulrey
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT