ADVERTISEMENT

My wife the cook

NickStromboli

All-American
Jun 28, 2007
So my wife retired from working about a year ago to stay home and be a mom and housewife. It's been a good transition for the most part, but she is still struggling when it comes to cooking. Before she quit work I did all the cooking and she did the cleaning.

She is always looking for new things to make so I had wanted her to try to make some vegetable soup like my grandma used to make which is a beef broth based soup vs tomato juice base. So last night she finally makes it.

I get home and the house smells like pepper. I get a bowl of soup with the girls and find out my wife had put ¼ a cup of pepper in the soup. ¼ of a cup…The soup tasted like a bowl of beef flavored pepper. She tells me the recipe calls for that much. I look at the recipe and it says a teaspoon of pepper.

There has a recipe for a house spice that you mixed cup of salt, ¼ cup of pepper and ¼ cup of garlic salt.

You were only supposed to put 1 teaspoon of the "house seasoning" in it. She put the entire ¼ cup of pepper. At least she didn't put a cup of salt in it.

This is why I rarely cook from recipes. I use them for inspiration and

ideas, but I when it comes down to spices I cook to taste and always try whatever I'm cooking before I serve it. I think to many people follow recipes word for word and then never really learn how to cook or adjust recipes as needed. With that said, I don't bake for the very same reason, I don't want to be tied to down to a recipe and baking seems to be a different science.

Yeah, I can't complain

She's a great wife, mother, and has put up with me since we were 17. Just not a great cook.

Have you looked up recipes online lately?

You have to scroll down past huge 500+ word essays full of nonsense before you can finally find the recipe.

The recipe creator probably wrote about how her kids loved the soup and how it freezes beautifully and how it helped clear up her husband's rash and how the neighbors just love coming over to eat the soup and then play Pictionary.

Your wife was exhausted after reading it.

This post was edited on 3/24 10:38 AM by rickyIU

Because you don't know the difference between 1 tsp. and 1/4 cup?

Are you able to CONtrol the volUME of your VOICE?

My brother once used 3 garlic bulbs in a recipe that called for 3 cloves.

He was making a special anniversary dinner.

He's no longer married.

This post was edited on 3/24 10:52 AM by Moops

My dad is particularly fond of Rhubarb pie......

and since it's not a generally popular flavor, he got most of his from his mom. When she passed, he was pretty much out of luck unless he bought one. At some point, a customer of my mom's heard about his plight and decided she would make him one. When he tasted it, he quickly discovered she had mistakenly used salt instead of sugar in the recipe.

McHoop

Seriously!

I usually look for a different recipe.

I dont care about your life people I just want the recipe.

This post was edited on 3/24 11:13 AM by IUhottie

+1

Don't forget about the 10+ pictures thrown in for good measure to show you the progress along the way.

My dad used to tell the story . . .

about when my aunt - my mother's sister - used salt in place of sugar in an cherry pie recipe, and since he was the pie aficionado of the family, he got to take the first bite . . . right after the extended family's Thanksgiving supper. He tossed the entire meal up . . . and everybody thought something was wrong with him - socially - until my uncle took a bite . . . .

You sure this isn't an application of the first dish theory?

Might be that you're being had . . . .

Someone did this on MasterChef last season.

They were in the final 3 too. If they had only used the correct ingredient they would have moved on to the final 2.

At least you know your aunt doesn't constantly lick the spoons when she's making family dinners.

I taste everything. I'm usually more conscientious and wash the utensils often when making a community dish but sometimes the spoon goes back in uncleansed after the tasting too.

It helps me sleep at night . . .

to know that when that aunt died she was 5'2" and weighed 73 pounds . . . almost exclusively attributable to her diet primarily consisting of bourbon for 50 years.

Or is she? Maybe she's "trying" to fail...so Nick will start cooking again

That's what I'd do. And then go get a massage and mani-pedi.

article-0-127B859E000005DC-818_468x612.jpg

She'll get better at it.

That was a simple mistake and the reason you keep extra bologna in the refrigerator (and liquor in the cabinet).

She'll get better eventually, but you'll likely always have to explain to her the finer points. And she'll hate you for pointing them out.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT