ADVERTISEMENT

It warmed my heart today

Baller23Boogie

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 17, 2008
To check my daughter's bring home folder from school and see a practice paper where her 5th grade class had started practicing cursive handwriting.

Now, I remember doing it much earlier when I learned, but the fact that she will know how to write in cursive is still cool to me.

For reference, my junior in high school only knows how to sign her name because when she was in elementary, learning cursive wasn't required by the state.

Very sweet.

I see your cursive handwriting & raise you: My 4th grader (when they learn Indiana History) came home to tell me that his teacher asked if anyone knew our state song and he answered "Indiana, Our Indiana." Damn near cried.

Very sweet.

I see your cursive handwriting & raise you: My 4th grader (when they learn Indiana History) came home to tell me that his teacher asked if anyone knew our state song and he answered "Indiana, Our Indiana." Damn near cried.
i-ll-allow-it-gif-file-59kb-wljdwcnf98dul8l3.gif

Very sweet.

Jim Nabors may no longer be the featured artist …. at IMS … but ’My Old Kentucky Home’ does have a longer run at Church Hill Downs.

Last edited:
To check my daughter's bring home folder from school and see a practice paper where her 5th grade class had started practicing cursive handwriting.

Now, I remember doing it much earlier when I learned, but the fact that she will know how to write in cursive is still cool to me.

For reference, my junior in high school only knows how to sign her name because when she was in elementary, learning cursive wasn't required by the state.
We teach cursive in third grade.

Did they go to different schools? Wondering what the difference is.

If I remember, I started in second grade.

Reactions: vesuvius13
For the life of me I’ll never understand why cursive handwriting is such a hot button issue.
The school my children attend continued to teach cursive writing. But other county schools did not. What did they substitute in the curriculum?

For the life of me I’ll never understand why cursive handwriting is such a hot button issue.
Fully agree. People nostalgic for writing (vs. typing), maybe the look of it.

It popped the last couple of years amid the attempts to politicize smaller school boards as an issue. I get that good handwriting can have an aesthetic, but it's never been one to resonate with me. Average to worse handwriting is a no go on even trying to read.

Started with those, but third grade was the big leagues.
I remember starting cursive in the 2nd grade.

My mom was an elementary teacher and had the most beautiful handwriting. It's still way better than mind and she's 93.

I can see why Democrats don't want anyone to learn cursive - they don't want signature matching on ballots. ;)

I keed, I keed.

Sorta.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT