ADVERTISEMENT

Playing to Win by author Michael Lewis

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
Playing to Win is an Audible book by Michael Lewis, it was free with my Audible subscription.

It starts with him describing his trip into sports parent in Berkeley, CA. He describes a girls softball league set in the "Scandinavian" model. Basically, scores were not kept in public (but the league tracked winners and losers). Kids received equal PT and traded positions often so the best would be in rightfield as often as the worst. There is more, but that is a good start. His oldest daughter started playing, she was really good. But she was someone who he describes as a "cooperator" and not a "competitor". She wanted her teammates to have fun and be a part of it.

Berkeley started a travel team, she made it, and still had fun even though they always lost and often by mercy rules to teams from Republican areas (his phrasing). Eventually, they got better and won occasionally, but none of that bothered her, she loved playing. Of course, the cost and travel was horrible.

When she was trying out for an 11-year-old team, he sent his 8-year-old over to a field for the 10-year-old travel team. He thought it would just be something to keep her busy while he watched the 11-year-old tryouts. Well, the 8-year-old did great and made the team. In fact, she was one of the best. Unlike her sister, she cared a whole lot about winning. Since he had two kids on travel teams, he was asked to run the organization. He accepted. He went to U of Berkeley which had a great softball team and hired two players who were all-Americans to coach.

Suddenly he was juggling everything around making sure the teams were taken care of and of course his daughter's games/practices. And not just practices, outside team practices they had individual workouts with coaches for hitting, fielding, pitching, cardio, and weights. For example, he was writing a book about Obama and flew to/from South America on Air Force 1. When he flew into DC, Obama asked him to ride with him in the motorcade to the White House so they could talk. Lewis said no, he had to get back to Berkeley for a softball game. He said he should have realized the extent of his problem then.

The older girl dropped travel, deciding school softball was fun and what she wanted. The younger girl pretty much told him she needed even better competition than what his travel league provided and wanted to move to another travel team. And since he had never played softball, his advice wasn't particularly relevant.

Anyway, he then discusses a piece of software, called League Apps. Some guys who had played high school and college athletics thought there would be money in selling an app that would create schedules, notify parents of rainouts, track officials, etc. They started getting people interested, but they had not expected A) the number and B) the main interest was tracking player fee payments. They were amazed when a lacrosse league mentioned $3000/player. Soon, that number didn't seem high. But at the beginning, it was overwhelming to them. They knew they had a hot app on their hands, but they needed more money. To get that money, they hired people to survey youth sports leagues. They discovered 30,000 leagues/travel teams in America.

They became aware of the huge business. Travel teams tend to start at $2000/season. Many volleyball travel teams charge $6500/season, and there are 3 seasons. Of course, parents have to buy athletic gear, travel, hotel expenses, and then on top of that, an entry fee to attend. As he points out, by the time all the rest is spent another $15 is nothing.

The software creators his a problem, venture capital didn't realize yet the scope. People wouldn't even listen. They soon asked people if they had kids in youth sports, and wouldn't even bother pitching to anyone that didn't. It seemed around 2012 that no one was aware of how much money was being spent on youth sports. All us older people remember our youth.

TD Ameritrade just happened to do a survey on youth sports parents circa 2014. 77% of sports parents said youth sports were affecting their family's financial health. 60% said it was impacting the amount they save for retirement, and 25% had taken on credit card or loan debt. An economist said youth sports accounted for 10.5% of all household income. Sports tourism was seen as not only recession-proof but even capable of making more in depressions than other times as places hosting games would give discounts in a recession allowing the travel team to charge more.

Soccer and softball are inefficient, too much space is needed. Volleyball allowed huge arenas filled in cities with expensive hotels. Boys' volleyball was less efficient, parents tended to send boys off with a minimum of chaperones. Girls' volleyball meant more hotel rooms, more meals at restaurants, and more gate receipts.

A Dallas furniture magnate sold his furniture business and began volleyball events. They would attract 40,000 players to tournaments, making $1,000,000 in gate fees per day.

And of course he gets into people seeing it as an investment in college (though he also says the one thing he has learned from women's college softball players is that college isn't really what they are doing. They are athletes who have to attend a few classes*)

I don't know if the "Scandinavian" model works, but I also don't think this "youth sports to suck parents dry" model is good. I haven't finished the book, but the numbers on savings/debt just screamed out to me when I got to that section. It took the feeling of, "yep, we've been there/done that" to "holy crap, I thought we paid a lot for youth sports 20 years ago".

* I have a friend who had a niece pitch for Oklahoma State. A bunch of players of one major missed practice because they had a mandatory test. He says the coach yelled at the team, they weren't being given the scholarship to take a test. They were there to play softball and had to get their priorities straight. I bet that happens more than we would like to admit.

But as he said early on, watching your kid play is more impactful than watching all your favorite teams play at the same time. We are addicted to it. Maybe Scandinavia (which I do question) is a better route.

Last edited:
Playing to Win is an Audible book by Michael Lewis, it was free with my Audible subscription.

It starts with him describing his trip into sports parent in Berkeley, CA. He describes a girls softball league set in the "Scandinavian" model. Basically, scores were not kept in public (but the league tracked winners and losers). Kids received equal PT and traded positions often so the best would be in rightfield as often as the worst. There is more, but that is a good start. His oldest daughter started playing, she was really good. But she was someone who he describes as a "cooperator" and not a "competitor". She wanted her teammates to have fun and be a part of it.

Berkeley started a travel team, she made it, and still had fun even though they always lost and often by mercy rules to teams from Republican areas (his phrasing). Eventually, they got better and won occasionally, but none of that bothered her, she loved playing. Of course, the cost and travel was horrible.

When she was trying out for an 11-year-old team, he sent his 8-year-old over to a field for the 10-year-old travel team. He thought it would just be something to keep her busy while he watched the 11-year-old tryouts. Well, the 8-year-old did great and made the team. In fact, she was one of the best. Unlike her sister, she cared a whole lot about winning. Since he had two kids on travel teams, he was asked to run the organization. He accepted. He went to U of Berkeley which had a great softball team and hired two players who were all-Americans to coach.

Suddenly he was juggling everything around making sure the teams were taken care of and of course his daughter's games/practices. And not just practices, outside team practices they had individual workouts with coaches for hitting, fielding, pitching, cardio, and weights. For example, he was writing a book about Obama and flew to/from South America on Air Force 1. When he flew into DC, Obama asked him to ride with him in the motorcade to the White House so they could talk. Lewis said no, he had to get back to Berkeley for a softball game. He said he should have realized the extent of his problem then.

The older girl dropped travel, deciding school softball was fun and what she wanted. The younger girl pretty much told him she needed even better competition than what his travel league provided and wanted to move to another travel team. And since he had never played softball, his advice wasn't particularly relevant.

Anyway, he then discusses a piece of software, called League Apps. Some guys who had played high school and college athletics thought there would be money in selling an app that would create schedules, notify parents of rainouts, track officials, etc. They started getting people interested, but they had not expected A) the number and B) the main interest was tracking player fee payments. They were amazed when a lacrosse league mentioned $3000/player. Soon, that number didn't seem high. But at the beginning, it was overwhelming to them. They knew they had a hot app on their hands, but they needed more money. To get that money, they hired people to survey youth sports leagues. They discovered 30,000 leagues/travel teams in America.

They became aware of the huge business. Travel teams tend to start at $2000/season. Many volleyball travel teams charge $6500/season, and there are 3 seasons. Of course, parents have to buy athletic gear, travel, hotel expenses, and then on top of that, an entry fee to attend. As he points out, by the time all the rest is spent another $15 is nothing.

The software creators his a problem, venture capital didn't realize yet the scope. People wouldn't even listen. They soon asked people if they had kids in youth sports, and wouldn't even bother pitching to anyone that didn't. It seemed around 2012 that no one was aware of how much money was being spent on youth sports. All us older people remember our youth.

TD Ameritrade just happened to do a survey on youth sports parents circa 2014. 77% of sports parents said youth sports were affecting their family's financial health. 60% said it was impacting the amount they save for retirement, and 25% had taken on credit card or loan debt. An economist said youth sports accounted for 10.5% of all household income. Sports tourism was seen as not only recession-proof but even capable of making more in depressions than other times as places hosting games would give discounts in a recession allowing the travel team to charge more.

Soccer and softball are inefficient, too much space is needed. Volleyball allowed huge arenas filled in cities with expensive hotels. Boys' volleyball was less efficient, parents tended to send boys off with a minimum of chaperones. Girls' volleyball meant more hotel rooms, more meals at restaurants, and more gate receipts.

A Dallas furniture magnate sold his furniture business and began volleyball events. They would attract 40,000 players to tournaments, making $1,000,000 in gate fees per day.

And of course he gets into people seeing it as an investment in college (though he also says the one thing he has learned from women's college softball players is that college isn't really what they are doing. They are athletes who have to attend a few classes*)

I don't know if the "Scandinavian" model works, but I also don't think this "youth sports to suck parents dry" model is good. I haven't finished the book, but the numbers on savings/debt just screamed out to me when I got to that section. It took the feeling of, "yep, we've been there/done that" to "holy crap, I thought we paid a lot for youth sports 20 years ago".

* I have a friend who had a niece pitch for Oklahoma State. A bunch of players of one major missed practice because they had a mandatory test. He says the coach yelled at the team, they weren't being given the scholarship to take a test. They were there to play softball and had to get their priorities straight. I bet that happens more than we would like to admit.

But as he said early on, watching your kid play is more impactful than watching all your favorite teams play at the same time. We are addicted to it. Maybe Scandinavia (which I do question) is a better route.
interesting read marv. parents are easy marks and people finally tapped into it as a business tethering it to youth sports. i played for busch. you got one out of town tourney a year. stayed in a holidome, and shared pitchers of mountain dew at pizza hut. you played the teams in your surrounding area. in most parts of the US there are plenty of local teams. and there were no team fees. the companies actually sponsored the clubs: busch, coke, etc. Now it's a racket where youth coaches make six figures and go to vegas to create new leagues and divisions to justify additional excuses to play out of state and charge more since they are ALL on the path to D1 and/or pro as long their checks clear. parents today can pay well in excess of 10k a season.

but it could be worse. you could be a dance mom being told your daughter has that "it" factor - she just needs to buy more headshots

This is really interesting, as my cohorts are of the age where our kids can do travel sports.
We have a friends who have a daughter doing travel v-ball, and it is very much a racket. I hear a lot from parents that say "kids won't even make the high school team unless they are on a club team".
We know people that used to spend about $10k/yr on dance....wtf kind of investment is that?
As long as they keep finding suckers that will pay, this will stay a trend. My kids will play locally and stay average...thank you very much

But as he said early on, watching your kid play is more impactful than watching all your favorite teams play at the same time.
Took my daughter a minute to realize when she asked the question "who is your favorite soccer player" and I said her that I meant it. Never missed one of her games and hell I miss one IU game a week on average.

So nothing about how he's doing at Ball State? I feel cheated.
You mean future IU Men's Basketball Head Coach Michael Lewis?

most travel teams have sponsors, the best players don't pay anything.
True. So true. But, my kid's not fat. Which is really the prime driver for me at this point. And she literally can't use her phone while playing/practicing.

Took my daughter a minute to realize when she asked the question "who is your favorite soccer player" and I said her that I meant it. Never missed one of her games and hell I miss one IU game a week on average.

I was as crazy about IU basketball until my kids started playing sports, or other things. We gave up football season tickets because my oldest was in marching band. We missed any/all IU games for basketball or volleyball. If my kids had a great game, I was far higher than any IU game. Same for low and a bad game. Nothing compared, it is its own fentanyl crisis as far as addiction. I get why so much is spent.

But at the same point now I realize we ruin our kids having fun. The pickup courts in town are empty, kids can't just show up and play anymore. Those were some of my favorite memories. But we can't profit by kids riding their bikes to a field/court and choosing teams and playing. So it can't be allowed.

I was as crazy about IU basketball until my kids started playing sports, or other things. We gave up football season tickets because my oldest was in marching band. We missed any/all IU games for basketball or volleyball. If my kids had a great game, I was far higher than any IU game. Same for low and a bad game. Nothing compared, it is its own fentanyl crisis as far as addiction. I get why so much is spent.

But at the same point now I realize we ruin our kids having fun. The pickup courts in town are empty, kids can't just show up and play anymore. Those were some of my favorite memories. But we can't profit by kids riding their bikes to a field/court and choosing teams and playing. So it can't be allowed.
School near me built the coolest turf soccer field you’ve ever seen. Just awesome. Fenced and locked. Always. Bs

That's a really good point about how fun pickup games were. I feel like there were some days in the summer where I'd play from early in the day to late at night. I loved doing that.

That's a really good point about how fun pickup games were. I feel like there were some days in the summer where I'd play from early in the day to late at night. I loved doing that.
That’s all we did as kids. Play pick up every free moment

Reactions: dr.jb
Not only that but you'd find out kids you thought were dorks or nerds or whatever (just weird looking) could ball.

I think it helped some people overcome their anxiety about being "cool" or whatever b/c on the pickup court, Stan from math class might put you on your ass.

Things I've done to play basketball:

Shoveled 6 inches of snow, dried the court (ok half court) with newspaper.
Did the newspaper trick a million times after rain, b/c we were impatient
Bought countless nets
Replaced three rims on public courts
Damn leaves during fall made me put a push broom in my trunk
Used coals from a woodstove to warm hands when it's 20 degree outside (no indoor courts in the 80's)

School near me built the coolest turf soccer field you’ve ever seen. Just awesome. Fenced and locked. Always. Bs
I'll give Carmel some credit. I've not seen them kick people off practice fields (which are turf for soccer and football at least) during the summer. But my daughter wears her practice gear just in case.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Not only that but you'd find out kids you thought were dorks or nerds or whatever (just weird looking) could ball.

I think it helped some people overcome their anxiety about being "cool" or whatever b/c on the pickup court, Stan from math class might put you on your ass.

Things I've done to play basketball:

Shoveled 6 inches of snow, dried the court (ok half court) with newspaper.
Did the newspaper trick a million times after rain, b/c we were impatient
Bought countless nets
Replaced three rims on public courts
Damn leaves during fall made me put a push broom in my trunk
Used coals from a woodstove to warm hands when it's 20 degree outside (no indoor courts in the 80's)
We shoveled snow off courts, and if we couldn't get it off (or if it were deep water) we would play 2 steps no-dribble. It was fun because stopping was, well, impossible at times. We played on days so hot the bicycle kickstands would fall through the pavement. All at once the bikes would start falling over.

For football we played in the grass next to an electric substation. Sometimes kickoffs would cross the fence and we'd have to climb over to get it. That would almost always bring the police to kick us off. For baseball, there was a large gravel lot and a large paved parking lot. We preferred the paved lot, but people actually parked there. I am going to suggest that gravel lots teach much about handling bad hops. But they don't help one's sliding ability at all.

I'll give Carmel some credit. I've not seen them kick people off practice fields (which are turf for soccer and football at least) during the summer. But my daughter wears her practice gear just in case.
Pretty good. When this field was 60 percent dirt it was never locked. Then they put in that turf which is incredibly expensive and locked it

Pretty good. When this field was 60 percent dirt it was never locked. Then they put in that turf which is incredibly expensive and locked it
I've never tried going to Grand Park to see what would happen. Place is so damn big I'd probably see them cominig on their golf cart from 1/2 a mile away.

To be fair, quite a few Carmel parks have soccer goals set up. And, while not lined, they are pretty well taken care of.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
This is true. I was shocked when one of skinny dorky kids dunked in our church league. He had springs. He was pretty good too. We had kids beating the varsity players but didn’t know plays. When those kids tried out the coaches didn’t take them. It was pure bs. Rich kids got the spots.

I'm living all of this right now. Paying way too much for my daughter to play B level travel volleyball and my son to play C level hockey.

Here's the problem, though: if I don't do it, then (1) they can't play the sport because everyone else's kids do it (and so no one here has the time or interest in pickup games, and (2) they have zero shot at playing in high school. So I pay the money just to give them a chance. It sucks and I don't want to do it but would feel tremendously guilty if I did not.

What I've been wondering about is our national priorities: why aren't we doing this with academics? Developing private teams, teaching, leagues and spending thousands to dollars for all these kids to do math or engineering competitions?

By the way, I was on my local Little League board and ran part of the softball side (coached both softball and baseball). I suggested something like that Scandinavian model and was looked at like I had three heads.

I'm living all of this right now. Paying way too much for my daughter to play B level travel volleyball and my son to play C level hockey.

Here's the problem, though: if I don't do it, then (1) they can't play the sport because everyone else's kids do it (and so no one here has the time or interest in pickup games, and (2) they have zero shot at playing in high school. So I pay the money just to give them a chance. It sucks and I don't want to do it but would feel tremendously guilty if I did not.

What I've been wondering about is our national priorities: why aren't we doing this with academics? Developing private teams, teaching, leagues and spending thousands to dollars for all these kids to do math or engineering competitions?

By the way, I was on my local Little League board and ran part of the softball side (coached both softball and baseball). I suggested something like that Scandinavian model and was looked at like I had three heads.
boring. no fun. despite the fact that kids have a better chance at a scholly with decent grades than sports. and parents like to live vicariously through their kids' exploits on the fields. that A in math isn't as fun to post on FB as that video of a FREAKIN SCORPION KICK!!!!!!!! Or tourney champs at wide world of sports

and (2) they have zero shot at playing in high school.
How did this come to be....and is it just something parents say?
E.g. i wanted to go to LA and become a p0rnstar...but my parents said you have to start by doing gay p0rn first and work your way up to the good stuff

I know this is corny, but sometimes I think about what days in my life I would like to experience again. Almost always I think first about being able to spend the day playing pickup basketball and sandlot baseball in my Terre Haute subdivision.

Others days we spent making BMX trails in the woods or swimming in area ponds. Almost always we were outside all day. Those were the days.

I know this is corny, but sometimes I think about what days in my life I would like to experience again. Almost always I think first about being able to spend the day playing pickup basketball and sandlot baseball in my Terre Haute subdivision.

Others days we spent making BMX trails in the woods or swimming in area ponds. Almost always we were outside all day. Those were the days.
Amen

Reactions: HillzHoozier

One of my few pieces of advice to my kids, the moment you are in is a future "the good old days" so enjoy the now as much as possible

even all through high school bcc. there was a little park in this community in the city called dogtown. they had a small field and i have no idea why would leave the lights on until 11. i can remember playing pickup there on a friday or saturday night in high school in the dead of summer to where we'd walk off soaking wet like we'd crawled out of the ocean. we passed on so so many parties to play pickup there. hours and hours and hours. and please remember. i was a cocksman. like i walked out of a boyband in high school. but that’s where i was. and i had my fair share of everclear insane party nights. and when our high school crew gets together and does hte "remember when" referencing this party or that I smile and laugh but know that i don't even remember or care. those nights trying to get a win before the lights at the park were shutoff was my youth and high school and never has anything felt as good since. nothing.

And I don’t believe organized sports replicate that

Last edited:

you should use the money to help your kids form a junior militia, something they could use the rest of their lives..

• Haha
Reactions: IUINSB
Getting misty in here. Greatest pickup game memory?

Me. Getting the call up to the bigger courts in the park where I grew up. We played as kids on a court across the train tracks with 8, 9, 10 foot rims. Lotta kids would show up. Mostly middle school/ freshman age. But across those tracks was the “adult” table. High school players. Recent grads. Ex players. Mostly 15 and up. Grown ass men had teams that would just appear on the weekends. They had five. Putting out cigarettes as they walked up.

We’d be a fifth for some team if there weren’t enough players. Get brutalized. Rinse repeat. Was a great summer.

How did this come to be....and is it just something parents say?
E.g. i wanted to go to LA and become a p0rnstar...but my parents said you have to start by doing gay p0rn first and work your way up to the good stuff
I think it depends on where you live, the competitiveness of the high school, and the relative talent level of the kid. Neither of my kids is a naturally gifted athlete (like myself :) ) and we live in a densely populated area.

Getting misty in here. Greatest pickup game memory?

Me. Getting the call up to the bigger courts in the park where I grew up. We played as kids on a court across the train tracks with 8, 9, 10 foot rims. Lotta kids would show up. Mostly middle school/ freshman age. But across those tracks was the “adult” table. High school players. Recent grads. Ex players. Mostly 15 and up. Grown ass men had teams that would just appear on the weekends. They had five. Putting out cigarettes as they walked up.

We’d be a fifth for some team if there weren’t enough players. Get brutalized. Rinse repeat. Was a great summer.
And I’ll tell you another thing. These academies preventing kids from playing high school is bullshit. High school soccer sucks but that’s where the memories are made

And I’ll tell you another thing. These academies preventing kids from playing high school is bullshit. High school soccer sucks but that’s where the memories are made
Opens up more spots for other kids to play, though.

Good point
Here I am at this stinky hockey rink (it’s incredible how bad 12 year old kids can smell in hockey equipment) for the fourth time in five days just hoping my kid can get good enough to make a JV team and not get cut in 1.5 years.

It’s got nothing to do with me wanting my kid to be some amazing star or reliving my glory days (I never played hockey). Instead, I can see the pain and sadness coming down the track when he gets cut, and I’m not sure it can be avoided, but I don’t want to give up for him.

I kinda wish he just never liked any sports at this point to avoid this future pain.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: larsIU
Here I am at this stinky hockey rink (it’s incredible how bad 12 year old kids can smell in hockey equipment) for the fourth time in five days just hoping my kid can get enough to make a JV team and not get cut in 1.5 years.

It’s got nothing to do with me wanting my kid to be some amazing star or reliving my glory days (I never played hockey). Instead, I can see the pain and sadness coming down the track when he gets cut, and I’m not sure it can be avoided, but I don’t want to give up for him.

I kinda wish he just never liked any sports at this point to avoid this future pain.
Oh man my friend that is a pain I couldn’t fathom. My daughter is the worst athlete I’ve ever seen so it was a nonissue.

Makes me well up even thinking about that for a little boy. Hmmmm. I don’t know. I guess the big question is whether he loves it. If he doesn’t he’ll be fine. If he does love it ya got to figure out a plan B. Another rec league or something to improve if he gets cut. I will share that I coached that jv age for years at the academy and elite levels and puberty can do crazy things to that age group. It can adjust players. In the meantime just keep trying to build his confidence. If he’s on the gram turn him onto the manowarr. You know those other kids aren’t sharpening their blades. Well I guess literally they are. But still….

Here I am at this stinky hockey rink (it’s incredible how bad 12 year old kids can smell in hockey equipment) for the fourth time in five days just hoping my kid can get good enough to make a JV team and not get cut in 1.5 years.

Nah. Getting cut from something is a great learning experience. We all settle into something. Figuring out what that is and when are part of the process/journey.

Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta

We have friends whose daughter played club volleyball for years. It was 45 minutes each way. A few nights a week. Travel circuit. The whole 9 yards.

The girl was cut from the high school team as a sophomore and never played volleyball again. Sadly, I’ve heard this story a lot.

• Sad
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
We have friends whose daughter played club volleyball for years. It was 45 minutes each way. A few nights a week. Travel circuit. The whole 9 yards.

The girl was cut from the high school team as a sophomore and never played volleyball again. Sadly, I’ve heard this story a lot.
I know a guy who's daughter did the same thing. Travel, national tourneys. Got cut from HSE, still got a decent (not full) ride scholly to IU Kokomo. Based solely on club level games.

Athletics are broken.

I know a guy who's daughter did the same thing. Travel, national tourneys. Got cut from HSE, still got a decent (not full) ride scholly to IU Kokomo. Based solely on club level games.

Athletics are broken.
IU Kokomo LOL what’s that?? Ridiculous. Enough with the bullshit. It’s 10:30. What have you done to sharpen your blade today?

Athletics are broken.
Well, your example demonstrates how club sports can be a good thing: at large high schools, with limited spots, it gives kids an opportunity to keep playing a sport they love competitively.

Quite frankly, at this point, it might make sense to break the link between sports and academics altogether--at jr. high, high school, and college. Just make it all club sports. (I know, I know: it'll never happen.)

The problem then becomes one of economic equity. Are we going to shut out poor kids from sports? Are we doing that now, given how this works in large, urban areas where if you don't do club sports starting young, your odds of playing later for the school are vanishingly small?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT