ADVERTISEMENT

My SIL just got hired as a Bloomington City Firefighter.

Joe_Hoopsier

Hall of Famer
Dec 21, 2010
Waiting on his station assignment. Couldn't be more proud. He's starting off in what was my (long ago) dream job, step off point.
To my Daughter, remember how happy your mom was that I was gone for 24 hours every 3 days.... You too are about to live the married life dream! Win win for er'body!
To top it off, he's going to co-farm with his dad on his days off. TOTAL Joe_hoopsier nirvana. I kinda hate him now thinking about it.. LOL
Proud Poppa/ Poppa in law here !

Aren't they wanting to give up on the station at 4th and Lincoln because of flooding? Move that to Showers?

Waiting on his station assignment. Couldn't be more proud. He's starting off in what was my (long ago) dream job, step off point.
To my Daughter, remember how happy your mom was that I was gone for 24 hours every 3 days.... You too are about to live the married life dream! Win win for er'body!
To top it off, he's going to co-farm with his dad on his days off. TOTAL Joe_hoopsier nirvana. I kinda hate him now thinking about it.. LOL
Shit when we were in law school we were saying that’s what we should do. Bton fireman. That’s awesome

• Love
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Aren't they wanting to give up on the station at 4th and Lincoln because of flooding? Move that to Showers?
I retired in 2004, I have no clue what is going on there now. Wasn't that station 3? little two bay "shithole"? Admin paid no attention to it and it covered a very small area that, wasn't much cared for. It was like a retirement station if I recall (which is the worls best freaking job ever !) .
But wasn't it on top of a hill? flooding? Sounds like admin needs to dig dirt for a press release, maybe? to get a new big fat $$ bond? I don't know. I was Ellettsville, I always (well at the end) dreamed of being a city guy, but just like here, built one too many enemies who happened to be fire chief at the time. Oh well. I'm super pumped for my SIL. He's a great "kid". Firefighting and farmin.... ok on second though, Eff him !! :)

Congrats! He’ll get tired of all the false alarms to frats and sororities!
Depending on station assignment, you are 100% right. Those suck!!! I told him to request the 2's on the west side. BUT, he'll probably pull headquarters and run on everything as the second in engine company in. At least they only have to get suited up, yet never out of the truck at 3AM.

I retired in 2004, I have no clue what is going on there now. Wasn't that station 3? little two bay "shithole"? Admin paid no attention to it and it covered a very small area that, wasn't much cared for. It was like a retirement station if I recall (which is the worls best freaking job ever !) .
But wasn't it on top of a hill? flooding? Sounds like admin needs to dig dirt for a press release, maybe? to get a new big fat $$ bond? I don't know. I was Ellettsville, I always (well at the end) dreamed of being a city guy, but just like here, built one too many enemies who happened to be fire chief at the time. Oh well. I'm super pumped for my SIL. He's a great "kid". Firefighting and farmin.... ok on second though, Eff him !! :)

No, I think you're thinking of the one on Rogers just south of 5th. They closed that down some time back. I'm talking about the main one downtown, 4th and Lincoln. It gets flooded all the time with the same shit that hits Kirkwood and Dunn. The police station at 3rd and Lincoln gets it too. They're talking about moving them both to Showers, but getting a lot of pushback from anyone and everyone who doesn't want anything to change.

Congrats Joe!

Hopefully his experience is like the episode of the Flintstones where Fred and Barney joined the volunteer fire department.

The catch was everything in the town of Bedrock is made of stone so there weren't any building fires.

No, I think you're thinking of the one on Rogers just south of 5th. They closed that down some time back. I'm talking about the main one downtown, 4th and Lincoln. It gets flooded all the time with the same shit that hits Kirkwood and Dunn. The police station at 3rd and Lincoln gets it too. They're talking about moving them both to Showers, but getting a lot of pushback from anyone and everyone who doesn't want anything to change.
OHHH You are talkin Headquarters. By the post office. Yea I could see that being very valuable realstate and added bonus to claim flooding, Although I do remember it flooding 25 yrs ago while I was still "in the game".
Funny little history, I got my pic on the front page, ABOVE the fold of the Hearald times as E'ville accepted a donated firemans pole, loading it on my engine. I was identified as a Bloomington firefighter. I wasn't, I was Ellettsvile, station 8 assigned at the time.
Anyway, 5th and rogers, station 2 (old school) yea shut down in the late 90's. Moved to the east corner of 3rd and 37/69, Franklin road? That'd be a cool / chill assignment.
The 3's that I was thinking of was ... Maybe this is easier..
1 was headquarters - 4th and lincoln
2's was 3rd and 37/69
3's was .....................
4's was east 3rd and college mall
5's - south of town, butting up to Perry township.

I just can't think of the streets that the 3's were on. I did hazmat training there once. It was campus'ish but not quite.
Anyway. I know this isn't IANAL discussions, but I'm effing pumped for my son in law. Don't tell the other's that this one is now the front runner to be my favorite.
IT, they put him on a truck company and not an engine.... He moves to the back of the line and I will tell my daughter to find a new place to live. Truckies are punks. :)

OHHH You are talkin Headquarters. By the post office. Yea I could see that being very valuable realstate and added bonus to claim flooding, Although I do remember it flooding 25 yrs ago while I was still "in the game".
Funny little history, I got my pic on the front page, ABOVE the fold of the Hearald times as E'ville accepted a donated firemans pole, loading it on my engine. I was identified as a Bloomington firefighter. I wasn't, I was Ellettsvile, station 8 assigned at the time.
Anyway, 5th and rogers, station 2 (old school) yea shut down in the late 90's. Moved to the east corner of 3rd and 37/69, Franklin road? That'd be a cool / chill assignment.
The 3's that I was thinking of was ... Maybe this is easier..
1 was headquarters - 4th and lincoln
2's was 3rd and 37/69
3's was .....................
4's was east 3rd and college mall
5's - south of town, butting up to Perry township.

I just can't think of the streets that the 3's were on. I did hazmat training there once. It was campus'ish but not quite.
Anyway. I know this isn't IANAL discussions, but I'm effing pumped for my son in law. Don't tell the other's that this one is now the front runner to be my favorite.
IT, they put him on a truck company and not an engine.... He moves to the back of the line and I will tell my daughter to find a new place to live. Truckies are punks. :)

Per Google:

• Administration. 300 E 4th St Bloomington IN 47408. Office. 812-332-9763. ...
  • HQ. 300 E 4th St Bloomington IN 47408. Office. ...
  • Station 2. 209 S Fairfield Ave Bloomington IN 47404.
  • Station 3. 900 N Woodlawn Bloomington IN 47408.
  • Station 4. 2201 E Third Street Bloomington IN 47408.
  • Station 5. 1987 S. Henderson Street Bloomington IN 47401.

4 is across from the Catholic church on 3rd.

5 is east of South High School, south of Bloomington Utilities.

Thought you meant sister-in-law. Not sure if that means I'm an idiot or progressive. Oh well, 6 one way, half dozen the other.

Thought you meant sister-in-law. Not sure if that means I'm an idiot or progressive. Oh well, 6 one way, half dozen the other.
I'd be ok with it either way!!
In my day there weren't many women fire fighters, but I had the pleasure of serving with a great one! I know she gained medic credentials (via instruction from Rodney) shout out, but I think she even went on to nursing.
I've been out of it for a minute. ~2004 retried. Love you Marge!!! you are the shit !!

Reactions: ribbont

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Congrats Joe!

Hopefully his experience is like the episode of the Flintstones where Fred and Barney joined the volunteer fire department.

The catch was everything in the town of Bedrock is made of stone so there weren't any building fires.
Still is..

Thought you meant sister-in-law. Not sure if that means I'm an idiot or progressive
I interpreted it as Sister-in-law to start off with but that is because I tell someone about my SIL ever so often and refer to her that way.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT