ADVERTISEMENT

M*A*S*H*, TV, and morality

A

anon_6hv78pr714xta

In searching for Modern Family pics to poke at McMurtry66,* I saw this link regarding MASH:

It brought me back. I was born a year before the first episodes of MASH aired and grew up on the show. My parents weren't preachy, weren't particularly interested in teaching me moral lessons, and were quite satisfied with plopping me down in front of a TV for hours and hours on end as a child--I connected with Martin Tupper from HBO's Dream On.

The show I probably watched the most was MASH. Back in the day--late 70's/early 80s--you could watch a new MASH each week along with about 3 or 4 a day in re-runs between 5-7 on a few local channels in Northern Indiana. Hawkeye was kinda my hero/role model. I think my view of morality is pretty much all gleaned from that show's later years--it tackled racism, homophobia, tolerance, anti-semitism, kindness, etc.

How much did that show affect Generation X and today's more liberal views on all of these subjects? Has that disappeared now, I wonder? In 1983, over 1/3 of the country watched the finale (over 100 million); compared to GoT's less than 10% (19 million).

It seems like a lot of people here might also be in this MASH generation. Did you all watch it too? Do you have fond memories of it?

Confession: I never really found it very funny.

*McMurtry66 gets his balls busted more than almost anyone based on his transparent personal life. He takes it as well as anyone could, and with a lot of self-deprecating humor. He deserves praise for that. Also, he's going through a tough time right now, and I just want you to know, that I sincerely hope you and your family can weather this storm and come out of it with the least emotional pain possible.

In searching for Modern Family pics to poke at McMurtry66,* I saw this link regarding MASH:

It brought me back. I was born a year before the first episodes of MASH aired and grew up on the show. My parents weren't preachy, weren't particularly interested in teaching me moral lessons, and were quite satisfied with plopping me down in front of a TV for hours and hours on end as a child--I connected with Martin Tupper from HBO's Dream On.

The show I probably watched the most was MASH. Back in the day--late 70's/early 80s--you could watch a new MASH each week along with about 3 or 4 a day in re-runs between 5-7 on a few local channels in Northern Indiana. Hawkeye was kinda my hero/role model. I think my view of morality is pretty much all gleaned from that show's later years--it tackled racism, homophobia, tolerance, anti-semitism, kindness, etc.

How much did that show affect Generation X and today's more liberal views on all of these subjects? Has that disappeared now, I wonder? In 1983, over 1/3 of the country watched the finale (over 100 million); compared to GoT's less than 10% (19 million).

It seems like a lot of people here might also be in this MASH generation. Did you all watch it too? Do you have fond memories of it?

*McMurtry66 gets his balls busted more than almost anyone based on his transparent personal life. He takes it as well as anyone could, and with a lot of self-deprecating humor. He deserves praise for that. Also, he's going through a tough time right now, and I just want you to know, that I sincerely hope you and your family can weather this storm and come out of it with the least emotional pain possible.
Lol thanks. We’re all good. We’re like roaches. Absolutely love mash

I wasnt allowed to watch MASH until it was at the bitter end on new ones. It went way downhill. The reruns of the first seasons with Henry and Trap were some of the best . I finally had a little 13'' B&W TV a family friend gave me. It was orange. I watched the best yrs in syndication. I didnt really like that latter yrs much myself. Remember the Bristol Historcal Museum in the old HS? Every New Years there was an auction and I used to take my TV plug in out in an unheated part with a blanket to watch the bowl games on that little set.

I agree with you on @mcmurtry66 ! Sometimes not sure how to take some of his humor with me lol but he keeps it all light

I wasnt allowed to watch MASH until it was at the bitter end on new ones. It went way downhill. The reruns of the first seasons with Henry and Trap were some of the best . I finally had a little 13'' B&W TV a family friend gave me. It was orange. I watched the best yrs in syndication. I didnt really like that latter yrs much myself. Remember the Bristol Historcal Museum in the old HS? Every New Years there was an auction and I used to take my TV plug in out in an unheated part with a blanket to watch the bowl games on that little set.

I agree with you on @mcmurtry66 ! Sometimes not sure how to take some of his humor with me lol but he keeps it all light
Always from a good place Cray.

MASH is one of my top tv series, still watch it, and there is a great MASH Facebook group.

I am a believer the first three seasons were the best they were the most humorous. But it was still very good until Radar left. Then it became hot or miss.

I know a lot of people who hate Hawkeye, found him preachy, even liberals. I find him to be a great character.

I do not know a good way of measuring it's impact on those issues. Gen X probably isn't as far along on those issues as millennials who probably have not seen much MASH. And MASH's antiwar sentiment did not take hold.

MASH is one of my top tv series, still watch it, and there is a great MASH Facebook group.

I am a believer the first three seasons were the best they were the most humorous. But it was still very good until Radar left. Then it became hot or miss.

I know a lot of people who hate Hawkeye, found him preachy, even liberals. I find him to be a great character.

I do not know a good way of measuring it's impact on those issues. Gen X probably isn't as far along on those issues as millennials who probably have not seen much MASH. And MASH's antiwar sentiment did not take hold.
Has to be one of the best shows ever made

I watched it, thought it was fine, but didn't think it was the greatest of the greatest or anything. But...

My dad absolutely loved it. He was a Korea vet and the setting and handful of historical references hooked him. He said that there were a number of characters that reminded him of people he served with himself.

That said, he was really pissed about how they killed off Col. Blake. He was supposedly shot down by enemy fire over the Sea of Japan. That never happened to anyone, and Dad thought it was a shitty way to write him out of the show. Said if they were going to do that they should have killed him in a Jeep wreck like Patton.

One thing we are 100% in agreement on I couldn't have stated my thoughts any better except hawk at the end. Frank leaving was probably the last real good ones. I never cared much for the movie but the first 3 yrs of the TV show were top notch and it was more humor than making statements

I watched it, thought it was fine, but didn't think it was the greatest of the greatest or anything. But...

My dad absolutely loved it. He was a Korea vet and the setting and handful of historical references hooked him. He said that there were a number of characters that reminded him of people he served with himself.

That said, he was really pissed about how they killed off Col. Blake. He was supposedly shot down by enemy fire over the Sea of Japan. That never happened to anyone, and Dad thought it was a shitty way to write him out of the show. Said if they were going to do that they should have killed him in a Jeep wreck like Patton.
The plane spun in , there were no survivors. It wasnt good, McClean Stevenson made a huge mistake, I know Wayne went on to become successful in business . I think because of contract issues they wanted to make sure he couldnt try and come back.

I love Mash. Like Andy Griffith, I have seen them all many times. The question of the impact is tough. I found this and use it on occasion here in the New World. Somewhere in Corinthians, and I am paraphrasing, [As is the entire body of work] Do you not know that your body is the temple of the living God?

Last edited:

Truth on Col. Blake!

I love Mash. Like Andy Griffith, I have seen them all many times. The question of the impact is tough. I found this and use it on occasion here in the New World.
I watched all of the Andy Griffith's many times, as well. I tried to make my kids watch them, but they are just too slow for them.

I might institute a new rule in the house: you stay home sick and want to watch TV, you have 4 options: MASH, Andy Griffith, Magnum PI (original, obvs), or Love Boat.

I watched all of the Andy Griffith's many times, as well. I tried to make my kids watch them, but they are just too slow for them.

I might institute a new rule in the house: you stay home sick and want to watch TV, you have 4 options: MASH, Andy Griffith, Magnum PI (original, obvs), or Love Boat.
Don't get me going o Magnum, the best 1 hr show on TV ever!

I wish Spearchucker had been around longer on the series. The highlight of the movie was the nurse that brought the dentist back to life

Fascinating. Never knew this:

Fascinating. Never knew this:

I can't remember birthdays or anniversaries but i remember radar had a f'd up hand. lol. jesus.

Speaking of Andy Griffith, Floyd the Barber (played by Howard McNear) was generally seated during his later years playing the character. He had suffered a stroke and was off the show for a time and when he came back they made accommodations.

Watched the show mostly in reruns. I’m more of a mid 80’s as a 10 year old Gen X. Dad showed me the movie, which I consider to be far superior. But I like some other Altman stuff so that scans.

The big show when I was a kid was the A Team. Which, when you think about it, was pretty damn subversive for the 80’s. Dad always loved cop shows like Baretta,Kojak, Hill Street Blues. Cosby, Facts of Life, Growing Pains.

Not sure how much they did or didn’t shape my view of morality. I think some of the ideas put forward made me question institutions a bit and I wonder if that wasn’t because a lot of the writers lived through the 60’s and probably not as bankers.

Last edited:
Reactions: anon_6hv78pr714xta
One thing we are 100% in agreement on I couldn't have stated my thoughts any better except hawk at the end. Frank leaving was probably the last real good ones. I never cared much for the movie but the first 3 yrs of the TV show were top notch and it was more humor than making statements
David Ogden Stiers ruined that show.

And the movie was great.

Last edited:
Watched the show mostly in reruns. I’m more of a mid 80’s as a 10 year old Gen X. Dad showed me the movie, which I consider to be far superior. But I like some other Altman stuff so they scans.

The big show when I was a kid was the A Team. Which, when you think about it, was pretty damn subversive for the 80’s. Dad always loved cop shows like Baretta,Kojak, Hill Street Blues. Cosby, Facts of Life, Growing Pains.

Not sure how much they did or didn’t shape my view of morality. I think some of the ideas put forward made me question institutions a bit and I wonder if that wasn’t because a lot of the writers lived through the 60’s and probably not as bankers.
I was more 70s stuff growing up so yea Mash but.

My dad would read books every night with this on in the background. Cheers, Soap, Taxi, Odd Couple, All in the family, the Jeffersons, Sanford and son, Barney Miller

Soap was a riot, Taxi had crazy characters. I loved this scene with Jim and Louie.

Last edited:
I wasore 70s stuff growing up so yea Mash but.

My dad would read books every night with this on in the background. Cheers, Soap, Taxi, Odd Couple, All in the family, the Jeffersons, Sanford and son, Barney Miller

Soap was a riot, Taxi had crazy characters. I loved this scene with Jim and Louie.

I almost said MASH was my favorite show, but there are several shows that could claim that title. You name many of them. Barney Miller may be the most underrated show of all time, it never seems to come up in the conversation about the greatest TV show but it deserves to be mentioned.

For some reason, I never got into Soap. I should try it again as I loved Benson.

Sometimes I hear people talk about today as a golden age of TV. And it is great. But look at CBS Saturday in 1974 starting at 8 PM; All in the Family, Jeffersons, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, Carol Burnett. That's a discussion of all-time great shows right there on one network on one night.

Reactions: Indianaftw
I almost said MASH was my favorite show, but there are several shows that could claim that title. You name many of them. Barney Miller may be the most underrated show of all time, it never seems to come up in the conversation about the greatest TV show but it deserves to be mentioned.

For some reason, I never got into Soap. I should try it again as I loved Benson.

Sometimes I hear people talk about today as a golden age of TV. And it is great. But look at CBS Saturday in 1974 starting at 8 PM; All in the Family, Jeffersons, Mary Tyler Moore, Bob Newhart, Carol Burnett. That's a discussion of all-time great shows right there on one network on one night.
I think Tuttle was one of the best episodes of TV ever.

And it was appt television. That doesn't exist anymore really. Somebody posted earlier that MASH got 100 million viewers for the finale opposed to GOTs 19 million. GOT was appt television for a lot of people but nowhere near the level of broadcast television.

I suppose in some ways it mirrors the further diminishment of community we felt with one another. It's really too bad the national conversations now are almost solely centered on sports and politics.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT