ADVERTISEMENT

Long before Taylor Swift . . .

Bowlmania

All-American
Sep 23, 2016
... there were these four guys, arguably the biggest pop cultural phenomenon in history. And the Lennon-McCartney songwriting team - - one of the best ever.

Sixty years ago today, on the Ed Sullivan Show. 73 million TV viewers. Check out the older guys in the audience at 1:26. They're like, "wtf?!"

It's pretty wild to think about. 60 years is a long time ago. That said, it's wild that two of those guys are still semi-regularly touring.

Another thing I was thinking about the other day was how less than 20 years prior to their appearance on Ed Sullivan, World War II ended. I'm not really equating those two events, but it's wild to think about how much the world changed in between those two things happening.

It's pretty wild to think about. 60 years is a long time ago. That said, it's wild that two of those guys are still semi-regularly touring.

Another thing I was thinking about the other day was how less than 20 years prior to their appearance on Ed Sullivan, World War II ended. I'm not really equating those two events, but it's wild to think about how much the world changed in between those two things happening.
Definitely.

Also, this was just two and a half months after JFK was assassinated. I'm thinking the country really needed something to be happy about, and the Beatles helped with that.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
It’s fabulous. I’d like to see it again.
Same for me. I'm not a huge fan of Vegas, but seeing Beatles Love again and U2 at the Sphere are definitely things I'd like to see.

That said, I think U2's run at the Sphere is coming to an end soon. I'd still like to see something there though.

Help me out here. I guess I need more coffee. I know it's a joke, but explain please.
I think it's along the lines of conspiracy theories involving the CIA killing Kennedy, blowing up the nord stream pipeline and creating a psyops program with Taylor Swift.

That said, I think U2's run at the Sphere is coming to an end soon. I'd still like to see something there though.
Dead & Co are doing a run at the Sphere during May and June. Only like 10 or 12 shows, so I'm assuming the tix will be cost-prohibitive for me. I'd love to see Drums and Space in there. How mind-blowing would that be?

Reactions: larsIU
I think it's along the lines of conspiracy theories involving the CIA killing Kennedy, blowing up the nord stream pipeline and creating a psyops program with Taylor Swift.
We don’t know who blew up Nordstream. So stop acting like it’s some hare brained conspiracy theory. The U.S. definitely would have the most motivation to do so.

Same for me. I'm not a huge fan of Vegas, but seeing Beatles Love again and U2 at the Sphere are definitely things I'd like to see.

I'm going this spring for some experience show. I'll report back.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
... there were these four guys, arguably the biggest pop cultural phenomenon in history. And the Lennon-McCartney songwriting team - - one of the best ever.

Sixty years ago today, on the Ed Sullivan Show. 73 million TV viewers. Check out the older guys in the audience at 1:26. They're like, "wtf?!"

Remember seeing the Beetles on the Ed Sullivan show.

Thought at the time the young girls in the audience were over reacting and the group's popularity would fade away.

As time went on they either got better or I began to appreciate them more, or both.

Like acquiring a taste for food you had never tasted before.

Taylor Swift is just a new version of an old recipe.

Sorry MICHIGAN, but I love the original "fAB 4" best. I wish they would have recognized and encouraged George Harrison's song writing ability earlier in their career.

And their last song was release recently... all because of today's technology. Kind of amazing really.

I'm going this spring for some experience show. I'll report back.
Check out Love if you have time. I’m not a big show person and I loved it. It was awesome.

I also about pissed my pants on the way out. Chugged numerous beers before entering and a large one while watching it. I didn’t want to leave, so I held it. Unfortunately, it took forever to exit the show and it’s the closest I’ve ever been to saying f#ck it and pissing in a crowd. It was awful.

Phish is doing 4 shows this spring. Then think Dead and Co are doing like 24 shows.

We don’t know who blew up Nordstream. So stop acting like it’s some hare brained conspiracy theory. The U.S. definitely would have the most motivation to do so.
He was trying to explain a bad joke someone else tried to make.

Check out Love if you have time. I’m not a big show person and I loved it. It was awesome.

I also about pissed my pants on the way out. Chugged numerous beers before entering and a large one while watching it. I didn’t want to leave, so I held it. Unfortunately, it took forever to exit the show and it’s the closest I’ve ever been to saying f#ck it and pissing in a crowd. It was awful.

I’ve had that happen before. I find planes to also be terrible. You start the descent and figure you can manage for another 30-45 mins. Then you land, sit on the runway 20 mins, taxi to the other end of the airport, arrive at the gate and think, ok I’m good.

There’s nobody to connect the gate. You realize there are 30 old people in front of you that move like snails, have huge carry ons and should be in wheel chairs… but they aren’t going to wait for the humans that can walk.

You finally get off and out of the gate ramp, but realize you have to go ten more gates before you get to a bathroom. And there’s a line.

FML

Last edited:

I remember it well. I was 12 years old in the 6th grade. Certainly a momentous event.

Phish is doing 4 shows this spring.
4.0 ain't doing it for me. I don't want to destroy my perception of their work from 1993 to 2003.

Trey off the opioids is always a good thing for him and his family. Music has suffered. Fishman has shoulder issues as well.

Penance for whatever:

Reactions: T.M.P.
Remember seeing the Beetles on the Ed Sullivan show.

Thought at the time the young girls in the audience were over reacting and the group's popularity would fade away.

As time went on they either got better or I began to appreciate them more, or both.

I was 8 years old. About all I remember about it is that my mom let me stay up past my bedtime to watch it. And it was her idea.

Reactions: Bowlmania
4.0 ain't doing it for me. I don't want to destroy my perception of their work from 1993 to 2003.

Trey off the opioids is always a good thing for him and his family. Music has suffered. Fishman has shoulder issues as well.

Penance for whatever:

At least he didn't die and get replaced by John Mayer .. though that move made John a far better more real musician... he's still not equal to a pimple on Jerry's fat ass. Far better technically, but there's more to music then technique.

I went to a few post Garcia shows.. Further, Dead n Co, Lesh n Friends.. regardless of the combination, there's no magic there and the crowd scene sucks ballz.

Once a musician quits creating new stuff, they're basically done and the Dead have been done for a long time.

So many musicians were better when addicted to heroin. Stones, Clapton, Aerosmith, Dead, Phish, GnR. Almost if it's a steroid for creativity.. Neil Young is the only one that stayed relatively the same.. Aerosmith's change was the most drastic... from a groove based boogie band to pop rock. Clapton was next, he woke up and thought he was a pop singer/songwriter. At least he quit stealing riffs from JJ Cale.. so that's something.

Last edited:
They definitely got better. They took more chances musically. The melodies, chord progressions, bridges, etc., became more complex, and the bubblegum, "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" sound evolved into musical masterpieces. Revolver, Sgt Pepper and Abbey Road are, in my opinion, among the greatest albums of all time.

Reactions: hoot1
Sorry MICHIGAN, but I love the original "fAB 4" best. I wish they would have recognized and encouraged George Harrison's song writing ability earlier in their career.
Saw McCartney several years ago. He commented/joked that someone once asked Sinatra what his favorite Lennon-McCartney song was and Sinatra responded "Something." McCartney then started playing the first few measures of "Something" on ukulele, then moved to guitar, was joined by his band and what sounded like a recorded backing instrumental. It was amazing.

Harrison also wrote another Beatles classic, "Here Comes the Sun."

H
Oh shut up. No one asked you, young un. 😎
Ha - young is relative, but I’ll take it.

I saw another sign that time flies like crazy. Napoleon Dynamite was released 20 years ago. I was very much around for that one ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT