ADVERTISEMENT

A big thank you to the Cooler

TommyCracker

Hall of Famer
Mar 18, 2004
I just got back from a Spring Break-ish trip to Arizona to hang out with my gf's dad for a week (the niece who's in her senior year at Iowa was also there with her bf and demanded that auntie and I were there).

Pops is extremely conservative as is his entire circle (not judging, just laying out the landscape) and we would wind down our days over at 'Gavin's' for beers and conversation. Of course we all know it can take a turn at any minute...from a quick snide remark to a comment about a benign topic.... there's always a trap door in the conversation that leads to well, the kinds of discussions that we have on here.

So that moment happens and we're off. 7 trump loving, God fearing conservatives and myself, the gf, her niece and her boyfriend. Down the hole we all go. The gf just stews. The niece who is normally aggressive stays quiet. The bf doesn't say a word and later tells me he's learned it's not worth it. Which leaves me....the boyfriend (not the son) of pop's daughter, who we all hug it out and spend a bunch of time together....I have to go into super calm, rational mode (I can't insult these guys personally like we typically do on here).

Anyway, almost every point made and thrown my way has been debated on the cooler. From the banks imploding, to Ukraine to the Trump cases to flying migrants to trans taking over the world to student loans....and I was able to navigate it smoothly all thanks to the cooler.

The snarkiness comments I got back was 'where do you get your news CNN??' and 'you have answers for everything don't you!!!'.

When I think about that question of 'where do you get your news' I have to honestly say....a big part is from this water cooler. I definitely read the reactions in topics from the cooler....and I think that's a good thing.

Sure we're missing a lot of representation (women, minorities) but we definitely have a full spectrum of opinions which makes this different than an echo chamber.

As frustrating as some discussions can get (I've been more of a lurker lately cuz of the time needed to participate) I appreciate being able to read everyone's POV, no matter how crazy they might seem to me.

Thank you for that and thank you for having me better prepared to go into a potentially damaging, conversation as the outsider/brother in law position.

I just got back from a Spring Break-ish trip to Arizona to hang out with my gf's dad for a week (the niece who's in her senior year at Iowa was also there with her bf and demanded that auntie and I were there).

Pops is extremely conservative as is his entire circle (not judging, just laying out the landscape) and we would wind down our days over at 'Gavin's' for beers and conversation. Of course we all know it can take a turn at any minute...from a quick snide remark to a comment about a benign topic.... there's always a trap door in the conversation that leads to well, the kinds of discussions that we have on here.

So that moment happens and we're off. 7 trump loving, God fearing conservatives and myself, the gf, her niece and her boyfriend. Down the hole we all go. The gf just stews. The niece who is normally aggressive stays quiet. The bf doesn't say a word and later tells me he's learned it's not worth it. Which leaves me....the boyfriend (not the son) of pop's daughter, who we all hug it out and spend a bunch of time together....I have to go into super calm, rational mode (I can't insult these guys personally like we typically do on here).

Anyway, almost every point made and thrown my way has been debated on the cooler. From the banks imploding, to Ukraine to the Trump cases to flying migrants to trans taking over the world to student loans....and I was able to navigate it smoothly all thanks to the cooler.

The snarkiness comments I got back was 'where do you get your news CNN??' and 'you have answers for everything don't you!!!'.

When I think about that question of 'where do you get your news' I have to honestly say....a big part is from this water cooler. I definitely read the reactions in topics from the cooler....and I think that's a good thing.

Sure we're missing a lot of representation (women, minorities) but we definitely have a full spectrum of opinions which makes this different than an echo chamber.

As frustrating as some discussions can get (I've been more of a lurker lately cuz of the time needed to participate) I appreciate being able to read everyone's POV, no matter how crazy they might seem to me.

Thank you for that and thank you for having me better prepared to go into a potentially damaging, conversation as the outsider/brother in law position.

You're a fvcking idiot.

Kangaroo Court fine - $20.00.

”Fvcking woke idiot.”

We’re going to crack down on the lack of precision around here.
So . . . what's the KC fine for saying a basketball player can dunk just standing under the basket? Implied, but never said. is that he jumped.

So was the girlfriend stewing because she agreed with you or because you were arguing with her father?

If it’s the former, you’re in the clear and maybe in for a “reward”.

If it’s the latter, well, good luck bro.

I agree. Despite a plethora of shitposting and some posters who are clearly, um, uninformed, this place can be educational. Makes you think, at least on occasion, and provides a little window on the world outside outside each person's own bubble.
Remember this...

Nobody is completely useless; they can always serve as a bad example 🤣 🤣​

So was the girlfriend stewing because she agreed with you or because you were arguing with her father?

If it’s the former, you’re in the clear and maybe in for a “reward”.

If it’s the latter, well, good luck bro.
Ha ha it was the former and pops is pretty loud and aggressive, especially when he gets fired up.

She doesn't have a water cooler that discusses these topics so I think she was caught off guard at the topics and the speed that we went through them (for example she had no idea who Ray Epps was, yes he was brought up when we went from the potential Trump indictments to the 'unfair two tiers of justice' to Jan 6 detainees to Tucker proving Jan 6th was a lie to eventually Ray Epps was an FBI informant) and got frustrated.

So you can see how that could have been disastrous but thanks to the cooler already hashing these things out....I was able to stay cool, anticipate the responses and not offend everyone while still making counter arguments that I was happy about.

And yes, I was rewarded.

Thanks Water Cooler!!!! Lol

Honestly everyone needs a water cooler these days to hash out everything and hear different arguments for and against. I got accused of watching CNN but I don't watch much cable news....I truly do get most my news from Twitter and here. Twitter for what's trending and the WC for the reactions.

Plus I'm anonymous so I'm not five beers away from completely offending my family, high school friends, college friends, work friends and so on.

Last edited:
I don’t know why I’m laughing so hard at Mark’s response but I am. I suppose it’s the single direct one line response to a multi paragraph slightly rambling but perhaps typical gathering.
I took it as I'm an idiot for engaging as a SIL along with the numbers being so lopsided against or that I made a comment that the WC banter has me better informed to handle most topics or responses that we get on the WC.

Both made me laugh.

Reactions: Hoosiervannah
I took it as I'm an idiot for engaging as a SIL along with the numbers being so lopsided against or that I made a comment that the WC banter has me better informed to handle most topics or responses that we get on the WC.

Both made me laugh.
There’s a third option - Mark brought out the corn squeezins.

Oh yeah, forgot to add that that group really likes Vivek Ramaswamy as a 2024 candidate.

That really caught me off guard as I've never heard of him but I did ask, who are you pulling for Trump or Desantis and Vivek was the majority pick.

Thought that was interesting.

I don’t know why I’m laughing so hard at Mark’s response but I am. I suppose it’s the single direct one line response to a multi paragraph slightly rambling but perhaps typical gathering.

There’s a third option - Mark brought out the corn squeezins.

I just did it for the yuks.

Hopefully you gave the Bitcoiner a hug and kiss from me.

A whole lot of my news comes from the Cooler. I scan the websites USAToday, CNN, Fox, and BBC. A story on each might warrant reading. Other than that, someone mentions something here and I Google it.

Oh, I do read the ISW site on Ukraine every day, and their Iran articles occasionally. But googling what comes here is as much or more as anything.

Reactions: TommyCracker
Oh yeah, forgot to add that that group really likes Vivek Ramaswamy as a 2024 candidate.

That really caught me off guard as I've never heard of him but I did ask, who are you pulling for Trump or Desantis and Vivek was the majority pick.

Thought that was interesting.

Literally never heard of the guy. Has an interesting background but not enough fame or notoriety, particularly without political experience

Ha ha it was the former and pops is pretty loud and aggressive, especially when he gets fired up.

She doesn't have a water cooler that discusses these topics so I think she was caught off guard at the topics and the speed that we went through them (for example she had no idea who Ray Epps was, yes he was brought up when we went from the potential Trump indictments to the 'unfair two tiers of justice' to Jan 6 detainees to Tucker proving Jan 6th was a lie to eventually Ray Epps was an FBI informant) and got frustrated.

So you can see how that could have been disastrous but thanks to the cooler already hashing these things out....I was able to stay cool, anticipate the responses and not offend everyone while still making counter arguments that I was happy about.

And yes, I was rewarded.

Thanks Water Cooler!!!! Lol

Honestly everyone needs a water cooler these days to hash out everything and hear different arguments for and against. I got accused of watching CNN but I don't watch much cable news....I truly do get most my news from Twitter and here. Twitter for what's trending and the WC for the reactions.

Plus I'm anonymous so I'm not five beers away from completely offending my family, high school friends, college friends, work friends and so on.
I'm imagining you in this discussion, furiously thinking ahead to the next steps your girlfriend's dad was going to make in terms of WC posters:

"Is this guy going DMB here? DANC? Christ, what if he goes CoH, what am I going to do? Do I pull out Goat or just go cosmic on their asses? Can they handle that?"

I agree. Despite a plethora of shitposting and some posters who are clearly, um, uninformed, this place can be educational. Makes you think, at least on occasion, and provides a little window on the world outside outside each person's own bubble.
To me, the time it takes to read these posts is not worth the effort. Too many people feel that their opinions are always correct even if the opinions are emotionally, rather than factually based.

It is also a waste of time because it seems to me that rarely does anyone change their minds. So, my approach is that you have your opinion, I am not going to change it and I know I have my opinion and these emotional arguments are NOT going to change my mind.

Sometimes, I will post a thought, but its not a regular part of my day.

Reactions: 76-1
To me, the time it takes to read these posts is not worth the effort. Too many people feel that their opinions are always correct even if the opinions are emotionally, rather than factually based.

It is also a waste of time because it seems to me that rarely does anyone change their minds. So, my approach is that you have your opinion, I am not going to change it and I know I have my opinion and these emotional arguments are NOT going to change my mind.

Sometimes, I will post a thought, but its not a regular part of my day.
Your first mistake is thinking you can change minds by posting here. Not gonna happen.

Posting and reading here is a combination of entertainment and mental stimulation. Thinking through agreements and disagreements is good for the mind.

The threads that have little or nothing to do with politics are generally informative. That’s good too.

That's a scary thought, unless you carefully maintain a good-sized ignore list.
I'm thinking more about the discussions of the news stories, the good points and bad, the crazy, the mean spirited, the emotional, the go to talking points, etc.

Whereas places like Twitter or a cable news is homogeneous....at least the cooler gives you both sides POV most of the time.

That's a good thing, and comes in handy when in a heated discussion with your potential father in law and his best friends. Lol

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT