ADVERTISEMENT

Mass shooting at FedEx facility in Indy

God bless you!
Enjoy Saturday night in your Streeterville hidey hole, I’m almost positive you won’t encounter any violent crime.

My CPD brother unfortunately can’t say the same. No one I know that actually has experienced all this city has to offer can say the same.

I’ll speak to you later.

Critical theory.is not necessarily about racism. The lynchpin of CRT is white racism and white privilege. It instructs that present day U S Is primarily racist because it was built by privileged whites employing slavery—original sin. . The problem with this is that nobody has said how the due process would be different if blacks people designed it, as one minor example.

Minorities are constantly bombarded with CRT; the latest example being Lightfoot’s presser a couple of days ago. None of modern day race discussion reflects MLK’s view of all of us, instead CRT tells us that skin color determines your lot in life. Kids are taught this every day. We don’t have to call it “Critical Race Theory” for it to be taught. .

In short goat you are being your normal arrogant asshole and you are full of shit.
Your first sentence - which is just a restatement of what I said - is correct. Everything else you typed is a lie.

yeah that's kind of a different perspective. interesting. i had kind of the opposite. started in a phd program than got freaked out about finding work and dropped out. i had the coursework mostly done but didn't do the dissertation. so they gave me the masters. instead of doing the dissertion i went to law school. law school by the end of second year all of my crowd had jobs at good firms. every one of us. different time.

law schools just kept cranking out students and did a real disservice to the many classes that followed. even my age it's really the generation that's a decade older that had it best. no tort reform. far fewer lawyers. no non equity partnership stuff. on and on.

the one bonus to a "trade law school" seems you'd have been better equipped to hang a shingle if worst came to worst
Legal education has gone downhill. In many classes strong Socratic teaching is gone forever. The multiple choice bar exams probably started the downward spiral. But students expecting to be trained as advocates for a cause instead of being a good lawyer for people added to the mix. law schools are cranking out graduates, but that doesn’t mean they are cranking out lawyers. Now I see that states are contemplating reducing bar passing requirements to advance equity. (?) several years ago, I had a long talk with a representative from my law school about my continued giving. I told him I didn’t want to support what legal education had become, he understood.

I was offered at the end of my summer clerkship at a large Indianapolis firm. Difficult decision, but I rejected and moved to Colorado with no regrets. All in all a very satisfying career. Colorado has always been at the high end of the lawyer per capita scale, and I guess that made for tough sledding for many lawyers. But I always had the notion that there is always room for the good ones in the practice and I said exactly that to the myriad of young lawyers looking for work In Colorado.

Legal education has gone downhill. In many classes strong Socratic teaching is gone forever. The multiple choice bar exams probably started the downward spiral. But students expecting to be trained as advocates for a cause instead of being a good lawyer for people added to the mix. law schools are cranking out graduates, but that doesn’t mean they are cranking out lawyers. Now I see that states are contemplating reducing bar passing requirements to advance equity. (?) several years ago, I had a long talk with a representative from my law school about my continued giving. I told him I didn’t want to support what legal education had become, he understood.

I was offered at the end of my summer clerkship at a large Indianapolis firm. Difficult decision, but I rejected and moved to Colorado with no regrets. All in all a very satisfying career. Colorado has always been at the high end of the lawyer per capita scale, and I guess that made for tough sledding for many lawyers. But I always had the notion that there is always room for the good ones in the practice and I said exactly that to the myriad of young lawyers looking for work In Colorado.
sounds like you made the right decision coh. that has to be a good feeling looking back

Reactions: CO. Hoosier
too funny. we learned all about the policy behind everything. so if it was torts, spreading the loss etc., and i really just wanted to learn the nuts and bolts of work shit lol. i had already been through an MPA program and just wanted to get to it
The best and most informative time in law school was torts in general and the classes about Palsgraf in particular. (Remember my eraser story? Great object lesson). That is where we learned all about proximate cause—the key to not only law, but I think invaluable to thinking. We never talked much about the philosophy of spreading the risk, instead we talked about the policy behind shifting the burden of loss from the one who suffered it to another person(s). The same thought process is imbedded in Critical Race Theory in that is also all about reasons for shifting burdens.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcmurtry66
The best and most informative time in law school was torts in general and the classes about Palsgraph in particular. (Remember my eraser story? Great object lesson). That is where we learned all about proximate cause—the key to not only law, but I think invaluable to thinking. We never talked much about the philosophy of spreading the risk, instead we talked about the policy behind shifting the burden of loss from the one who suffered it to another person(s). The same thought process is imbedded in Critical Race Theory in that is also all about reasons for shifting burdens.
I “presented” Palsgraff in my torts class

It went ugly early

Is this counting people with a net worth of over 1 million as “millionaires”? I would hope most on this board meet that meager threshold.

Hell, I’ll cross that threshold in a couple years and I’m a baby.
That’s actually an interesting question. How many of the more regular WC posters would qualify as millionaires wrt net worth?

I'll get the trailer appraised and get back with you.
I drove by the really nice trailer park today on the way to the base golf course. I really do think I’d love living there if my wife wasn’t vetoing the idea,

Mcm, you, Colorado, Morrison, Hoops (somehow), MTIOF, Stoll, Ranger, JDB.

That’s just to start....
You may be right. We need a poll. My net worth in the ‘80s and part of the 90s was less than zero. My family history is about the same all together. Our situations do change.

Reactions: Spartans9312
You may be right. We need a poll. My net worth in the ‘80s and part of the 90s was less than zero. My family history is about the same all together. Our situations do change.
a million really isn't that much these days. my stoker's pop died and was worth a little over a mil. guy never made six figures. no degree. worked at a chemical plant

Families are always rising and falling in America. I grew up at the country club due to my grandparents real estate empire. None of their 8 kids can afford it now that they’ve passed.

That’s what the liberals miss about wealth distribution. It’s not the same families inheriting the top 20% and bottom 20% forever. A lot of people are in both in the same lifetime.

By and large the mobility in this country is still pretty good. If you’re smart you accumulate wealth as you get older.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
Families are always rising and falling in America. I grew up at the country club due to my grandparents real estate empire. None of their 8 kids can afford it now that they’ve passed.

That’s what the liberals miss about wealth distribution. It’s not the same families inheriting the top 20% and bottom 20% forever. A lot of people are in both in the same lifetime.

By and large the mobility in this country is still pretty good. If you’re smart you accumulate wealth as you get older.
of that stat i pulled about 20 million millionaires it said 80 percent are self made

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I don’t know what you mean by “programs”. I didn’t use the word. I’m talking about more rigor, more focus on reading, math, communication skills and more. If you think that is a “program,”Your comment about wealth is silly on its face. Wealth is not the objective in life. With solid education one might have the means to acquire wealth, but wealth is just a side show. The ability to live a satisfying life in a society with strong common bonds is the objective of good public education. Public education seems to be fostering the opposite on all fronts and in many cases doesn't even provide that.

Focused community effort = Programs!

You honestly think making public school curriculum less liberal is going to make abjectly poor kids more satisfied with their grim prospects?

And seriously with the best things in life are free bit? You really need to spend some time in America.

of that stat i pulled about 20 million millionaires it said 80 percent are self made
Actual studies show that over 40% of Americans are in the same wealth quintile as their parents. Our mobility sucks compared to the developed world.

Self-made wealth happens, but it's not the norm. The biggest predictor of your economic success in America is your parents' wealth.

Edit: fixed error

Last edited:
So both rifles used were purchased legally. Purchased legally by a young man who had a family member call the police reporting he wanted to commit suicide by cop.

Reactions: UncleMark
It’s not the same families inheriting the top 20% and bottom 20% forever. A lot of people are in both in the same lifetime.
I was definitely in both categories. If people start saving early most will become millionaires. I know there are people who can't afford to save but a lot who say they can't could if they just managed better. When I was working the company that I worked for matched up to 6% of your salary in their savings plan yet I knew several people that weren't in it.

Our mobility sucks compared to the developed world.
That may or may not be true for all developed countries. But for sure our education system sucks and that has a lot to do with mobility. We also tend to be very elitist and that affects mobility. If you are not from a handful of Ivy League schools good luck in big time business, government, law, or academia. And those schools have an awful lot of legacy admission.

That may or may not be true for all developed countries. But for sure our education system sucks and that has a lot to do with mobility. We also tend to be very elitist and that affects mobility. If you are not from a handful of Ivy League schools good luck in big time business, government, law, or academia. And those schools have an awful lot of legacy admission.

it’s not true for all developed countries. And our education “sucking” doesn’t have much to do with economic mobility. And we’re not near as elitist as European, high-context culture , developed countries with far less favorable geography but far more mobility.

I think what you’ve done is just list all the things that for some reason scare you about the word “liberal” and listed them as reasons poor kids stay poor.

I was definitely in both categories. If people start saving early most will become millionaires. I know there are people who can't afford to save but a lot who say they can't could if they just managed better. When I was working the company that I worked for matched up to 6% of your salary in their savings plan yet I knew several people that weren't in it.
People are just plain dumb with money, period. And it's not just the poor or uneducated.

it’s not true for all developed countries. And our education “sucking” doesn’t have much to do with economic mobility. And we’re not near as elitist as European, high-context culture , developed countries with far less favorable geography but far more mobility.

I think what you’ve done is just list all the things that for some reason scare you about the word “liberal” and listed them as reasons poor kids stay poor.
LOL. Many good conservatives are in government or are judges and they are also elitists from the privileged Ivy League. And crappy education doesn’t inhibit upward mobility? Are you serious? Not everything divides along the liberal/conservative continuum.

LOL. Many good conservatives are in government or are judges and they are also elitists from the privileged Ivy League. And crappy education doesn’t inhibit upward mobility? Are you serious? Not everything divides along the liberal/conservative continuum.
So, what constitutes crappy education in inner cities? How does it differ from charter/private/parochial? What's going on in those classrooms? What are those evil liberal teachers doing...teaching CRT 24/7?
Got any proof that CRT is prevalent in inner city schools? Curriculum guides? Pacing guides? How many students are being taught CRT?

Once again, according to the teachers I know (and I know quite a few), K-2 teach the basics, 3-12 teach to the test. Whose fault is that? I guarantee, in the deep red state of Indiana, there are no CRT-based questions. Why do teachers spend so much time teaching to the test? Their evaluations, salaries, jobs depend on the scores. Why do scores continue to lag? Could it be that we are now in the 2nd (and many times 3rd) generation of students who attend schools that no longer really educate, but instead, prepare for tests?
My elementary teacher friends all comment that when kids come into a school as kindergartners, they are brimming with excitement to be there, eager to learn, soaking up new things like a sponge. Same for the vast majority of 1st graders, and most of the 2nd graders. Then, BOOM! Testing starts, and suddenly, the joy is gone.

Many 6th grade students bear little resemblance to their Kindergarten selves of 6 years earlier. School has become about programming for whatever it is that "business" wants, and not about discovery. Now admittedly, when those students go home, many are returning to dysfunctional families and home life, and are witnessing things that would make adults blanch in shock. Add this to a school setting that spends all day teaching to a test as opposed to developing the child's self-esteem, coping strategies, etc, then there is little mystery as to why schools struggle.
But, it has 0.0% to do with CRT.
Of course, you are welcome to provide some links to the prevalence of CRT in inner city public schools. I'm still waiting.
Oh, and "It's ubiquitous" is non-responsive.

So, what constitutes crappy education in inner cities? How does it differ from charter/private/parochial? What's going on in those classrooms? What are those evil liberal teachers doing...teaching CRT 24/7?
Got any proof that CRT is prevalent in inner city schools? Curriculum guides? Pacing guides? How many students are being taught CRT?

Once again, according to the teachers I know (and I know quite a few), K-2 teach the basics, 3-12 teach to the test. Whose fault is that? I guarantee, in the deep red state of Indiana, there are no CRT-based questions. Why do teachers spend so much time teaching to the test? Their evaluations, salaries, jobs depend on the scores. Why do scores continue to lag? Could it be that we are now in the 2nd (and many times 3rd) generation of students who attend schools that no longer really educate, but instead, prepare for tests?
My elementary teacher friends all comment that when kids come into a school as kindergartners, they are brimming with excitement to be there, eager to learn, soaking up new things like a sponge. Same for the vast majority of 1st graders, and most of the 2nd graders. Then, BOOM! Testing starts, and suddenly, the joy is gone.

Many 6th grade students bear little resemblance to their Kindergarten selves of 6 years earlier. School has become about programming for whatever it is that "business" wants, and not about discovery. Now admittedly, when those students go home, many are returning to dysfunctional families and home life, and are witnessing things that would make adults blanch in shock. Add this to a school setting that spends all day teaching to a test as opposed to developing the child's self-esteem, coping strategies, etc, then there is little mystery as to why schools struggle.
But, it has 0.0% to do with CRT.
Of course, you are welcome to provide some links to the prevalence of CRT in inner city public schools. I'm still waiting.
Oh, and "It's ubiquitous" is non-responsive.
It is ubiquitous and it is responsive. MLK’s I Have aDream speech is in the dumpster now because of CRT. The whole concept of the US being born in original sin, all white people are racist, and reparations are outgrowths of CRT because politicians are too weak and stupid to engage in the hard discussions about why we have persistent racial underachieving. It doesn’t need to be this way. The silver lining is that Blacks who know different are finding a voice in public discourse.

It is ubiquitous and it is responsive. MLK’s I Have aDream speech is in the dumpster now because of CRT. The whole concept of the US being born in original sin, all white people are racist, and reparations iare outgrowths of CRT because politicians are too weak and stupid to engage in the hard discussions about why we have persistent racial underachieving. It doesn’t need to be this way. The silver lining is that Blacks who know different are finding a voice in public discourse.
You have neither answered any of my questions, nor responded to my post at all. You used to chastise posters on here with the refrain of "Trump, Trump, Trump". Well, your version is "CRT, CRT, CRT."
When you have some real knowledge of the struggles of inner city public schools, get back to me. Otherwise, stop spouting ignorance in the guise of "expertise". Or don't.

Reactions: UncleMark
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT