ADVERTISEMENT

Major league umpires making a case

It is getting ridiculous. I suspect so many years of Angel Hernandez missing calls have all umpires just phoning it in as every week there seems to be a new "worst call ever". I think umpires are now just deciding to call 27 outs as quickly as they can and get out. Hernandez called 3 straight balls a strike a couple of weeks back, the first two were balls but the third one would have hit a left-handed batter. AI may not do better but it can't do worse.

To be replaced by AI.

That's one of the worst calls I've ever seen, and Angel Hernandez wasn't even involved. I'm not a Sox fan in the least, but they got hosed.
Yes, but AI is more likely to make that call than a human umpire. By the letter of the rule, that was interference because the base runner "fail(ed) to avoid a fielder who is attempting to field a batted ball." Intent does not matter. It also does not matter that the base runner did not see the fielder's path to the ball, and therefore had no idea he was in the fielder's path. So, an AI umpire very likely calls interference.

However, no human umpire should ever make that call in that situation.

Last edited:
Lacrosse fans like to say it's the fastest game on 2 feet, but I always counter basketball is faster . But there is no sport faster than hockey.

As a Capitols fan I've never been on the edge of my seat for entire games like I was in their championship season.

Lacrosse fans like to say it's the fastest game on 2 feet, but I always counter basketball is faster . But there is no sport faster than hockey.

As a Capitols fan I've never been on the edge of my seat for entire games like I was in their championship season.
Relevance???

Reactions: Noodle

Hockey players are on 2 skates.

Reactions: JamieDimonsBalls
Thought so. I love lacrosse and hockey a whole lot more than baseball so I wanted to believe there was relevance 😂😂

Took my kids to a game this weekend and it was just such a mediocre product. They would much rather go to an NBA or NHL game.

He was at the top of the food chain too
It's telling that he was one of the most senior umpires, yet, he last worked a World Series in 2005.

I also just learned from his Wikipedia page that umpires have numbers!?! His was 5, but he lost that when they consolidated MLB umpires in 2000 (someone more senior had #5), so Hernandez took 55. When the other guy retired, Hernandez got back his beloved #5. Seriously.

Apparently his retirement came after some sort of financial settlement with MLB - i.e., they bought him out. Never knew he was born in Cuba (I obviously knew he was Hispanic). His unsuccessful lawsuit against MLB alleging racial discrimination seemed rather absurd. Why in the world would MLB discriminate against an umpire because he is Hispanic?

It's telling that he was one of the most senior umpires, yet, he last worked a World Series in 2005.

I also just learned from his Wikipedia page that umpires have numbers!?! His was 5, but he lost that when they consolidated MLB umpires in 2000 (someone more senior had #5), so Hernandez took 55. When the other guy retired, Hernandez got back his beloved #5. Seriously.

Apparently his retirement came after some sort of financial settlement with MLB - i.e., they bought him out. Never knew he was born in Cuba (I obviously knew he was Hispanic). His unsuccessful lawsuit against MLB alleging racial discrimination seemed rather absurd. Why in the world would MLB discriminate against an umpire because he is Hispanic?
That is hilarious!

Reactions: Noodle

There are stories that Joe West, the previous worst current umpire, decided to make sure his Wiki page his retirement hobby.

Joe West vs Angel Hernandez is like small people (have to be politically correct) arguing who is taller.

Luciano's books almost made me go to umpire school. At the last moment I thought I would give softball a try for a year to see what I thought, and I hated it. I think it was Noodle that touched on it, the call has to be immediate but often times it takes the brain a moment to process. I am sure with experience that gap shortens quite a bit, but I gave up well before then. If I had only known about West and Hernandez proving that correct calls are overrated, maybe I would have stuck it out.

I recall Luciano discussing losing a ball leaving the park down the line, but he had to make a call and decided to call it foul. He really sold the call, jumping, waving spinning thinking selling the call would make everyone believe he was confident. As he spun, he saw the ball clearly in fair territory. And he knew he had 1) missed the call and 2) it was against Earl Weaver which would guarantee a relaxing conversation.

I miss the Earl Weaver/Billy Martin/Lou Pinella meltdowns.

Earl Weaver was spectacular in those situations. Lasorda was another one, especially his interviews. His rant about Bevacqua is one of my favorites of all time.

Lasorda interviews are 100% NSFW unless otherwise stated up front.

Nice collection here

Last edited:
Luciano's books almost made me go to umpire school. At the last moment I thought I would give softball a try for a year to see what I thought, and I hated it. I think it was Noodle that touched on it, the call has to be immediate but often times it takes the brain a moment to process. I am sure with experience that gap shortens quite a bit, but I gave up well before then. If I had only known about West and Hernandez proving that correct calls are overrated, maybe I would have stuck it out.

I recall Luciano discussing losing a ball leaving the park down the line, but he had to make a call and decided to call it foul. He really sold the call, jumping, waving spinning thinking selling the call would make everyone believe he was confident. As he spun, he saw the ball clearly in fair territory. And he knew he had 1) missed the call and 2) it was against Earl Weaver which would guarantee a relaxing conversation.

I remember watching some of the Weaver and Martin meltdowns, but they were a bit before my time.

I grew up on Lou, Bobby Cox... Jim Leyland had some good ones as well.

However, the best blowup that will ever be is this one...

I remember watching some of the Weaver and Martin meltdowns, but they were a bit before my time.

I grew up on Lou, Bobby Cox... Jim Leyland had some good ones as well.

However, the best blowup that will ever be is this one...

I wonder if Lou ever finished a game? Here are half of his ejections, there is a part 2 you can see there.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT