ADVERTISEMENT

Latest Lincoln Project (and others) ads...

You know what they say when you assume

I asked a legitimate question. I do assume that you have no idea what you're talking about because you are unable to articulate any reason why The Clinton Foundation is "shady". Do you know what you're talking about?

My favorite comedy movie is Blazing Saddles. It is pure genius, and absolutely no way it gets made today.

No way George Carlin happens today.

No way MASH (movie or series) gets made today.

I am sad about all those things BUT I firmly believe we are in a time of transition and I am not at allure we stay here. We are trying to range in a target, we fire short, we fire long, eventually we hit it. Those things above will be allowed again but different. A new MASH. Will not put mysoginy front and center.

We will punch up and not down,much like glmiu suggested.
That, my friend, is a huge leap of faith. I hope you’re right. But I think until we all grab our guts, it’s gonna get worse before it gets better.

I asked a legitimate question. I do assume that you have no idea what you're talking about because you are unable to articulate any reason why The Clinton Foundation is "shady". Do you know what you're talking about?
I’ve read a lot and watched things. Do I know anything? Nah. You either believe things or you don’t. I really don’t wanna get into it. I’m a teacher and don’t feel that it’s appropriate.
I’m under the assumption that you’d be able to refute things I say and I dig that about you man.
I made the statement that the foundation has a shadiness about it and it helped Trump get elected. If you don’t think so that’s cool.

I’ve read a lot and watched things. Do I know anything? Nah. You either believe things or you don’t. I really don’t wanna get into it. I’m a teacher and don’t feel that it’s appropriate.
I’m under the assumption that you’d be able to refute things I say and I dig that about you man.
I made the statement that the foundation has a shadiness about it and it helped Trump get elected. If you don’t think so that’s cool.

But that's the problem. You repeat something without knowing whether it's true or not. And you're a teacher? God help us.

The Clinton Foundation was found of no wrong doing - see link below. So just more fear mongering from the Republican Party as a whole, not just Trumpism.

I guess if you believe in all the hype (in general, not you glmiu), you can make an alternate reality. The even sadder thing is that the conservatives who state they won't for Trump again (not saying you) will still vote for every official who bent over for him and remained silent. For example, if Mike Braun and Tennessee Trey were to run again whenever their terms up, I'm sure they'd get a vote from all of those conservatives opposed to Trump. Speaking of running again, I guess we'll see if Tennessee (we need term limits) Trey will be back to run for another term.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...without-results-washington-post-idUSKBN1Z905V

The beauty of conspiracy theories is they can't be proven and the truth is most of the time turned into being naive.

If you're ever bored, make up and defend a conspiracy theory.

I was having a discussion about Covid and was told the numbers were not only wrong, but they are purposefully high to get Trump out of office.

So I created a conspiracy theory.

Did you know that cancer doesn't kill 600k Americans a year like 'they' want you to believe? It really only kills 10.

CANCER is a new world order code operation that is a population control device. We can't just kill people Hitler style, so the powers that be created cancer under the guise of a natural disease. Chemo is actually part of the killing process. That way population doesn't grow out of hand beyond our resources and billions of dollars are generated trying to 'heal' or 'cure' it.

If you quote me numbers and facts I simply answer that's just what 'they' want you to believe. It's fake.

Don't be a sheep. Open your eyes!

See how easy that is? It's why conspiracies are used by authoritarian regimes, hell it's how a lot take over (get the theory out there, find a scapegoat to blame and voila, all we have to do is get rid of the boogeymen and this theory will be resolved!! Yay!! Hiel Hitler!).

So rule of thumb, when you see a leader that's paranoid and dishes out conspiracy theories....thats a red flag.

But that's the problem. You repeat something without knowing whether it's true or not. And you're a teacher? God help us.
I’m not gonna take the bait man. Just YouTube Joe Rohan and Hillary Clinton together and you’ll see what a lot of Americans wonder about the topic.
And I know you’re gonna run that down.
If you go back and read what I originally said, you’ll see that I didn’t offer an opinion on the subject; only that people thought it was so.

I’m not gonna take the bait man. Just YouTube Joe Rohan and Hillary Clinton together and you’ll see what a lot of Americans wonder about the topic.
And I know you’re gonna run that down.
If you go back and read what I originally said, you’ll see that I didn’t offer an opinion on the subject; only that people thought it was so.

Very Trump-like. "You know...a lot of people say...".

Oh Marv you’re so cute. ;)

Cancel culture isn’t about holding people accountable for the things they say in emotional times. Cancel culture is mostly about groupthink and how you can’t stray from the herd in PC thought or the online justice warriors will grab you. They go back in time - dozens of years if necessary - to find something / anything you’ve said and flush it out into the open.

It’s also used to stifle free speech - protesting to not allow speakers into venues, etc. Its all part of the coddling of minds and encouraging groupthink to fit a narrative. It’s a cancer.

Hold up. I think you missed a few scary cliches.

Reactions: travlinhoosier

The "shadiness" is the crafted commentary that creates an element of being shady. The same is true of the whole "Uranium One" farce, and the idea that somehow Clinton profited from selling "our Uranium" to Russia...

The reality is this is an example of political spinmeisters using the ignorance of their target audience to create a false aura of illicit activity where none existed. Anyone who knows anything about the operating procedures of the CFIUS (which approved the deal) knows that the actual meetings are mainly the purvey of Undersecretaries, so HRC was not even really involved on a personal level. The other undeniable fact is that the CFIUS is not overseen by the Dept of State, but rather the Treasury Dept. And any decisions must be approved by the entire CFIUS which includes all Depts of the Cabinet as well as Intelligence...

That means even if somehow the whole Uranium One was some idea cooked up to benefit Clinton, the entire CFIUS would have had to approve it. Including people who for whatever reason may not have even liked HRC. Since Uranium One passed unanimously with no controversy at all in CFIUS, that means every one of the other members would have had to vote in favor of a measure designed to benefit Clinton, that they themselves would not have approved of or profited from. The Intelligence Services didn't even find Uranium One troubling, because of course it did not work anything like Fox and the rest claimed it did.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/unpacking-uranium-one-hype-and-law

I will say this for Peter Schweitzer, he's a marketing Genius. He's made millions over basically expanding his personal vendetta against the Clintons into a cottage industry full of conspiracy theories and insinuation that created his version of QAnon before QAnon even existed. The far right-wing has been a fertile breeding ground of conspiracy-obsessed devotees willing to throw $$ at anyone cynical enough to devise a way of separating them from their cash ever since the first John Birch Society meeting back in the 50s.

Anybody else recall that right-wing talk-radio zealot (Stan Solomon) in the 1990s Indnpls radio market who used to advertise his own satellite television network which featured him and other "patriots"? I think the system was called something that started with an "ex" or "es", and he sold the whole shebang including the actual dish and programming. It may have later been bought out by DISH..

Apparently old SS was forced into oblivion when ol Rushbo's show came to town... Always wondered where that old Neo-Fascist ended up...

Last edited:
Reactions: Bill4411
The "shadiness" is the crafted commentary that creates an element of being shady. The same is true of the whole "Uranium One" farce, and the idea that somehow Clinton profited from selling "our Uranium" to Russia...

The reality is this is an example of political spinmeisters using the ignorance of their target audience to create a false aura of illicit activity where none existed. Anyone who knows anything about the operating procedures of the CFIUS (which approved the deal) knows that the actual meetings are mainly the purvey of Undersecretaries, so HRC was not even really involved on a personal level. The other undeniable fact is that the CFIUS is not overseen by the Dept of State, but rather the Treasury Dept. And any decisions must be approved by the entire CFIUS which includes all Depts of the Cabinet as well as Intelligence...

That means even if somehow the whole Uranium One was some idea cooked up to benefit Clinton, the entire CFIUS would have had to approve it. Including people who for whatever reason may not have even liked HRC. Since Uranium One passed unanimously with no controversy at all in CFIUS, that means every one of the other members would have had to vote in favor of a measure designed to benefit Clinton, that they themselves would not have approved of or profited from. The Intelligence Services didn't even find Uranium One troubling, because of course it did not work anything like Fox and the rest claimed it did.

https://www.lawfareblog.com/unpacking-uranium-one-hype-and-law

I will say this for Peter Schweitzer, he's a marketing Genius. He's made millions over basically expanding his personal vendetta against the Clintons into a cottage industry full of conspiracy theories and insinuation that created his version of QAnon before QAnon even existed. The far right-wing has been a fertile breeding ground of conspiracy-obsessed devotees willing to throw $$ at anyone cynical enough to devise a way of separating them from their cash ever since the first John Birch Society meeting back in the 50s.

Anybody else recall that right-wing talk-radio zealot (Stan Solomon) in the 1990s Indnpls radio market who used to advertise his own satellite television network which featured him and other "patriots"? I think the system was called something that started with an "ex" or "es", and he sold the whole shebang including the actual dish and programming. It may have later been bought out by DISH..

Apparently old SS was forced into oblivion when ol Rushbo's show came to town... Always wondered where that old Neo-Fascist ended up...
I’m not sure what to say to that.
I suppose you wrote a lot of stuff I mostly agree with and, I guess, called me ignorant? You don’t have to answer.
What’s your take on debbie wasserman schultz hired by clinton after working for the DNC?

I’m not sure what to say to that.
I suppose you wrote a lot of stuff I mostly agree with and, I guess, called me ignorant? You don’t have to answer.
What’s your take on debbie wasserman schultz hired by clinton after working for the DNC?

I certainly wasn't calling you ignorant, and not really referring to people on this board. My personal experience is largely shaped by my encounters with political opposites on other forums. So basically I'm talking about the kind of people who post on yahoo forums that "Clinton gave our Uranium to the Russians". Invariably those folks are just parroting a line, and haven't got the slightest idea what the CFIUS consists of or how it operates or any notion of what was involved in Uranium One...

Anyone can be ignorant of a topic- that's no crime. There are plenty of topics I know nothing about,and I tend to avoid them like the plague.

It's the lack of intellectual curiosity I object to. If the extent of your knowledge of Ukraine from 2014-16 consists of the edited tape Trump promoted, then don't post as if you know anything. Don't just parrot the lie that Biden "bragged about getting the Ukrainian Prosecutor fired to protect his son". Look up the actual video, google to see if there is an actual transcript, do a basic search and see what people recording events at that time were reporting, not what Trump INVENTED afterward in another attempt by him to revise History... Then comment based on research- not useless opinion, based on pure fiction...

If you're too lazy to do that, then don't pollute a forum with your uneducated "opinion". All opinions are not equal,IMO and facts really do matter. Again I'm not talking here or posters on this forum. But often what I post here is colored by the type of nonsense I see posted every day by people who apparently have no idea how to conduct a basic Google or even yahoo search. Yahoo is my home page and gateway to my main email account, so I see the various articles/stories being hosted on the newsfeed and the resulting commentary posted in the comments section of those same articles several times a day.

I certainly wasn't calling you ignorant, and not really referring to people on this board. My personal experience is largely shaped by my encounters with political opposites on other forums. So basically I'm talking about the kind of people who post on yahoo forums that "Clinton gave our Uranium to the Russians". Invariably those folks are just parroting a line, and haven't got the slightest idea what the CFIUS consists of or how it operates or any notion of what was involved in Uranium One...

Anyone can be ignorant of a topic- that's no crime. There are plenty of topics I know nothing about,and I tend to avoid them like the plague.

It's the lack of intellectual curiosity I object to. If the extent of your knowledge of Ukraine from 2014-16 consists of the edited tape Trump promoted, then don't post as if you know anything. Don't just parrot the lie that Biden "bragged about getting the Ukrainian Prosecutor fired to protect his son". Look up the actual video, google to see if there is an actual transcript, do a basic search and see what people recording events at that time were reporting, not what Trump INVENTED afterward in another attempt by him to revise History... Then comment based on research- not useless opinion, based on pure fiction...

If you're too lazy to do that, then don't pollute a forum with your uneducated "opinion". All opinions are not equal,IMO and facts really do matter. Again I'm not talking here or posters on this forum. But often what I post here is colored by the type of nonsense I see posted every day by people who apparently have no idea how to conduct a basic Google or even yahoo search. Yahoo is my home page and gateway to my main email account, so I see the various articles/stories being hosted on the newsfeed and the resulting commentary posted in the comments section of those same articles several times a day.
I agree with your definition of ignorance.
I think it may be unfair for you to suggest that you have the market cornered on trying to learn stuff.
That said; I agree with most things you write. And I mean you, not the understood poster.

Look what they did and where. They had zero understanding of the situation yet puked up whatever someone told them to say.

That and their music sucked dry balls.

I assume you question this because she apologized.

I know nothing about their music.

She criticized Bush in London over Iraq. Anyone who questioned the Iraq War was proven 100% correct. I say that as someone who argued here for a good year it was the right thing. I was wrong.

She criticized Bush in London over Iraq. Anyone who questioned the Iraq War was proven 100% correct. I say that as someone who argued here for a good year it was the right thing. I was wrong.
You should listen to their music.

Look what they did and where. They had zero understanding of the situation yet puked up whatever someone told them to say.

That and their music sucked dry balls.

I assume you question this because she apologized.

The lack of self-awareness here is mystifying. Did I or did I not read earlier in this very thread that the BOYCOTT of Goya foods is a blatant example of "cancel culture"

Oh yes, here I found it, although it wasn't in THIS thread. So I had to do some digging...

Oh and in what I'm sure will come as a shock to us all, the hypocrisy on the subject comes from the Hoosier from Colorado...

"There's a difference between holding Derek Chauvin accountable for George Floyd's death and claiming the boycott of Goya food products is holding the company accountable for its CEO's opinion about Trump. The latter is not an "accountability" argument. Instead it's an intellectually vacuous response to an opinion with which one disagrees."

Pretty sure the attacks on the Chicks were (to quote CoH here) "an intellectually vacuous response to an opinion with which one disagrees."

Since you seem to often agree with CoH, and he'll likely never show up to 'splain himself, maybe you can explain the difference between the boycott of the Chicks and the boycott of Goya? In both instances, it seems to be a result of consumers disgusted by comments that Natalie and Unaune, respectively made about the sitting POTUS at the time.

Since people like Rubio and Graham, along with Fox and the cult are promoting the "Goya "buy-cott", I'd be interested in when they decided the cancel culture they all participated in against Natalie Maines is somehow not a viable activity when the target is someone they agree with? Is this simply another example of people who actually INITIATED the "cancel culture" (look back to the 1990s vs Clinton) deciding it no longer served THEIR INTERESTS? The question is rhetorical- you don't need to answer...

Based on what you just wrote; you’ll like them. As long as you’re not one of those people who are worried about having to hate something because you’re supposed to.
Listen to “once you’ve loved somebody”

The lack of self-awareness here is mystifying. Did I or did I not read earlier in this very thread that the BOYCOTT of Goya foods is a blatant example of "cancel culture"

Oh yes, here I found it, although it wasn't in THIS thread. So I had to do some digging...

Oh and in what I'm sure will come as a shock to us all, the hypocrisy on the subject comes from the Hoosier from Colorado...

"There's a difference between holding Derek Chauvin accountable for George Floyd's death and claiming the boycott of Goya food products is holding the company accountable for its CEO's opinion about Trump. The latter is not an "accountability" argument. Instead it's an intellectually vacuous response to an opinion with which one disagrees."

Pretty sure the attacks on the Chicks were (to quote CoH here) "an intellectually vacuous response to an opinion with which one disagrees."

Since you seem to often agree with CoH, and he'll likely never show up to 'splain himself, maybe you can explain the difference between the boycott of the Chicks and the boycott of Goya? In both instances, it seems to be a result of consumers disgusted by comments that Natalie and Unaune, respectively made about the sitting POTUS at the time.

Since people like Rubio and Graham, along with Fox and the cult are promoting the "Goya "buy-cott", I'd be interested in when they decided the cancel culture they all participated in against Natalie Maines is somehow not a viable activity when the target is someone they agree with? Is this simply another example of people who actually INITIATED the "cancel culture" (look back to the 1990s vs Clinton) deciding it no longer served THEIR INTERESTS? The question is rhetorical- you don't need to answer...

You are either:

Responding to the wrong poster here

or

Attaching quotes/opinions to me that are not mine.

I never commented on Goya thing as I am uneducated about it and this very sentence will be the first time I have used the term "Cancel Culture".

While I have on occasion agreed with at least part of what CO H says, I don't "often" agree as I don't "often" read his posts.

You are struggling here Sparky.

She more than "criticized" Bush. "criticizing" the policy of any president is fine as long as you can explain why. Simply saying i am embarrassed that he is from TX on foreign soil at a public event is a risk the didn't understand.

But it was for the best anyway...they sucked.

She more than "criticized" Bush. "criticizing" the policy of any president is fine as long as you can explain why. Simply saying i am embarrassed that he is from TX on foreign soil at a public event is a risk the didn't understand.

I like em’

I agree about the comedians. I saw John Cleese at IU about 18 months ago, he showed Holy Grail then gave a speech. He discussed the problems. I agree it is an issue. But here's the problem. A lot of jokes over the years have been told at the expense of some people more than others. Let's pick on blonde jokes for a minute. We act like there is NO possible way anyone is harmed by a blonde joke. Is that true? Are blondes EVER turned down for a job because someone might believe they are less capable? Might a little blonde girl think she is not as smart because she is blonde? If those things happen, and I bet you will agree both are likely to have happened, what do we do?

So now carry that out to Blacks, to trans, to gays, etc.

I read Brothers in Battle about two of the Band of Brothers. Mularky made it clear that growing up in South Philly everyone was known by their ancestry. And not necessarily in PC terms either, they used the derogatory names and he felt it didn't mean anything. And maybe it didn't. What Mularky missed is the people he was fighting did the exact same thing AND it meant something. He had already lost his leg before the liberation of the camp, so he didn't see first hand what it means when people take that stuff seriously.

I don't have an answer. I'm an old, fat, white guy. I have been made fun of for that and for being a geek, but largely speaking we haven't been targeted like a Matthew Shepard or Clearance Arbery. Do you think the guys that killed Shepard may have told gay jokes? The guys that killed Arbery tell Black jokes?

So when exactly is a gay joke perfectly acceptable and when is one not? If you were sitting at a table and someone starts to tell a Black joke, do you allow it and laugh along or do you stop it? What determines it?

I love Cleese, and he told a lot of jokes about Americans, Irish, English, Germans, Blacks, Jews, etc, to illustrate his point. We all laughed. I get his point. I get your point. I'm actually pretty libertarian on this issue but I am questioning that. When do we know a joke is too far? When is an idea too far? You don't think there is a mental image about these so called "evil" (or whatever Trump used) illegals coming into our country that just destroys the debate on DACA? You don't think free speech and humor haven't contributed to these images?

trans people still have it rough. Rowling isn't helping them. Don't they have a right to stand up and say so?

My point really isn't to whole-heartedly endorse this so-called cancel culture, though it may sound that way. I'm trying to suggest this isn't just a simple "no one is ever hurt by a joke" debate. We actually need to think this through. Do we cheapen someone else's life with comments that you or I may think are harmless? Is that OK?
Thank you for the post. Very thoughtful. In the late 1970s I saw Monty Python at University of Connecticut. About 2,000 people in the audience and everybody knew every routine. They couldn't get more than five words into the skit before there was a big roar from the crowd. Great memories.

I heard something today, there is a Trump commercial predicting how soft Biden will be on crime using images of riots.

The riots are from current day. Trump is saying if we elect Biden we will have the same crime we have under Trump.

I am not sure that should work, but it probably will,

Yeah I've used the 'if only Trump was president then we wouldn't have any of this looting and distruction.

Oh wait a minute....'

Lol

I think that’s what hurt them the most. Willie Nelson, John Prine or Merle Haggard can get away with making political statements or songs that most country fans disagree with because they are indispensable artists. You can’t replace Willie with generic country singer #3. You can just replace the Dixie Chicks with Lady Antebellum... Er... Or the Chicks with Lady?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT