ADVERTISEMENT

John Oliver and his million dollar offer to Clarence Thomas

Why was Thomas singled out? Because he’s black and Conservative.

The progressive line of attack on him is absolutely evil.
And it's not evil to explicitly criticize justices for being women?

• Love
Reactions: UncleMark
Yea, has nothing to do with unreported bribes. Claiming it has to do with race is laughable and given stoll griping about playing the racist card but then liking your post is yet another illustration of hyocrisy
What bribes, genius?

Discuss the quid pro quo upon which you base your claim!

Reactions: DANC
What bribes, genius?

Discuss the quid pro quo upon which you base your claim!
Rv, yacht trips. Think Thomas would be getting those perks if he wasn't a justice on Supreme court?

Even if you can't prove he did anything in response to being bought and paid for, he still didn't report those benefits. I would be willing to bet tax fraud would be an easy case against him

Rv, yacht trips. Think Thomas would be getting those perks if he wasn't a justice on Supreme court?

Even if you can't prove he did anything in response to being bought and paid for, he still didn't report those benefits. I would be willing to bet tax fraud would be an easy case against him
Is that what you think, F Lee Dumbass?

I'm sure the government could use your expertise on tax law.

It isn't for me to prove your accusations...you say, 'bought and paid for'...but have no clue of any actual 'quid pro quo' in Justice Thomas' case.
Now it's 'tax fraud'.

The biggest fraud is you.

GIFTS received aren’t taxable!

Anyone ever do a good deed for you? If they did, did you pay tax on it since you believe gifts received are taxable?

GIFTS received aren’t taxable!

Anyone ever do a good deed for you? If they did, did you pay tax on it since you believe gifts received are taxable?
No one has gifted me anything near the value of an RV, house or any of his free vacations over the decades. But then again I am not a Supreme Court Justice so no one cares to bribe me. Apparently I need better friends lol

Apparently I was wrong about him having issues with his taxes but he is still by law required to report gifts/bribes he has received because of being a Supreme Court Justice. He chose to hide it because he knew exactly how it would look if people found out he was accepting those lavish gifts, such as a home for his mom (purchased by Crow), an RV, and multiple lavish vacations.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Bill4411 and DANC
No one has gifted me anything near the value of an RV, house or any of his free vacations over the decades. But then again I am not a Supreme Court Justice so no one cares to bribe me. Apparently I need better friends lol

Thomas is by law required to report gifts/bribes he has received but chose to hide it because he knew exactly how it would look if people found out he was accepting those lavish gifts, such as a home for his mom (purchased by Crow), an RV, and multiple lavish vacations.

You pretending his gifts aren't taxable isn't as clear cut as you're making it out to be. Are you being dishonest for partisan reasons or just clueless when it comes to the gift tax?

Gift tax is on the giver, not the receiver.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Gift tax is on the giver, not the receiver.

Honestly, not really. Only if the gift isn't really a gift, but is instead a fraudulent attempt to hide income, is it really a problem. Genuine gifts don't count as income, no matter what they are.

So let's say my parents gave me 100K. I'm not liable for taxes on that (above the 15K or whatever that's allowed)?

Nope. They might be, if they are wealthy enough.

Remember, they don't get to claim a deduction, either. So from the POV of the IRS, income tax has already been paid on that money.

So what is the max limit gift from parents (or whoever) all about? Is that just concerning what needs to be reported?

So what is the max limit gift from parents (or whoever) all about? Is that just concerning what needs to be reported?
The limit people talk about is something called the Unified Credit. It's the amount of money that one can give away over the course of one's lifetime without it being subject to the estate and gift tax. There is also a smaller annual limit that refers to how much you can give each individual without reporting it, but generally it's going to be the total lifetime amount plus the size of the leftover estate at death that determines tax liability.

The limit people talk about is something called the Unified Credit. It's the amount of money that one can give away over the course of one's lifetime without it being subject to the estate and gift tax. There is also a smaller annual limit that refers to how much you can give each individual without reporting it, but generally it's going to be the total lifetime amount plus the size of the leftover estate at death that determines tax liability.
@UncleMark, you ready to jump on board my 100% inheritance tax yet? :)

With the two of us, we can really start a movement. First thing: start banning all posters who oppose our very common sense notion!

But you are supposed to still report the gift if using the lifetime unified credit, so it can be deducted from the lifetime credit.

But you are supposed to still report the gift if using the lifetime unified credit, so it can be deducted from the lifetime credit.
The person making the gift is the responsible party for tax purposes. They either use part of their lifetime credit on the excess gift or they pay gift tax on the excess gift.

The party receiving the gift has no IRS reporting responsibility.

It’s not hard. You guys don’t have Thomas on an income or gift tax violation.

Do you and Hickory understand?

The person making the gift is the responsible party for tax purposes. They either use part of their lifetime credit on the excess gift or they pay gift tax on the excess gift.

I understand I was wrong about the tax situation but thomas was still legally obligated to report his gifts due to being a supreme court justice.

But then there wasn't any ethic standards for the supreme court. It was an 'honor' system.. lmao guess they realized some didn't have much in the way of honor.

• Haha
Seems like there might be probable cause for a prosecutor to start looking into crow's taxes.

• Haha
I understand I was wrong about the tax situation but thomas was still legally obligated to report his gifts due to being a supreme court justice.

But then there wasn't any ethic standards for the supreme court. It was an 'honor' system.. lmao guess they realized some didn't have much in the way of honor.
In other words, you and the rest of the dupes are pulling your usual stunts of making a federal case out of nothing.

You dupes keep overplaying your hand and people are on to it.

Seems like there might be probably cause for a prosecutor to start looking into crow's taxes.
lmao Gosh, I'm sure the Biden DOJ never thought of that. I mean, they never file questionable charges against Republicans.

Along with your tax expertise, you should be giving the government legal advice!

Can you show me the law saying Thomas was legally obligated to report the gift?

Can you show me the law saying Thomas was legally obligated to report the gift?

No laws broken.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory

Correct. The giver has a lifetime credit that once it exceeds the annual gift exclusion amount you are supposed to report to the IRS how much you have used; it's not hard if you understand it. Also, I believe if the donor fails to pay the tax the IRS can look to the donee.

Correct. The giver has a lifetime credit that once it exceeds the annual gift exclusion amount you are supposed to report to the IRS how much you have used; it's not hard if you understand it.
You Thomas haters were trying to pin a gift issue on him.

You can kiss my ass regarding my understanding of the tax law.

no, we are haters of Justices taking bribes and ignoring the code of conduct. If you weren't so hyper partisan, then you would be as well.

If it was a liberal justice, I'm guessing you would understand.

no, we are haters of Justices taking bribes and ignoring the code of conduct. If you weren't so hyper partisan, then you would be as well.

If it was a liberal justice, I'm guessing you would understand.
What case did Thomas make a ruling for Crow’s financial benefit?

Donee Liability-Section 6324 (b): A donee is personally liable for federal gift taxes to the extent of the value of the property that he/she receives as a gift. This statute imposes liability on the donor’s estate and personal liability on transferees or donees when the estate fails to pay the federal gift taxes that are due.

Donee Liability-Section 6324 (b): A donee is personally liable for federal gift taxes to the extent of the value of the property that he/she receives as a gift. This statute imposes liability on the donor’s estate and personal liability on transferees or donees when the estate fails to pay the federal gift taxes that are due.
Reporting the gift to the IRS is not the donee’s responsibility. Stay with what we’ve been talking about. Hickory made a reference to Thomas committing tax fraud. My response was in response to that.

Reporting the gift to the IRS is not the donee’s responsibility. Stay with what we’ve been talking about. Hickory made a reference to Thomas committing tax fraud. My response was in response to that.
Actually mine was as well but there can be a requirement for the donee to pay the tax if unpaid, if you want to be accurate.

Reactions: stollcpa
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT