ADVERTISEMENT

Jimmy King Interview

Davehack

Junior
Sep 24, 2001
Anybody see that idiot interview Jimmy King before the game? Talking about the Fab Five years. Interviewer, I didn't get his name, suggested there should be a banner to honor the "Fab" 5. Apparently he was not aware UM had to take down those banners and vacate all those wins.

Anybody see that idiot interview Jimmy King before the game? Talking about the Fab Five years. Interviewer, I didn't get his name, suggested there should be a banner to honor the "Fab" 5. Apparently he was not aware UM had to take down those banners and vacate all those wins.
Thought it was a dumb interview too. Don’t think he researched it any.

I muted the tv as soon as I realized the interviewer was going to slobber all over the collective knobs of that bunch of corrupt, entitled bastards. As was said previously, they never won anything. Their greatest contribution to college basketball was fashion - long shorts and black socks. The 30-for-30 interview segment with Jalen Rose where all he did was complain about not making any money from the bookstore selling his replica jersey, and how everybody on the team was pissed because they went to Europe in the summer and didn't get to go hang out in Detroit was the final straw for me. Real college-worthy students would kill for a free summer trip like that. I might have had a little sympathy for the jersey bit, if it weren't for the common knowledge of how much money Fisher's bagman was funneling their way. Eff the Fab Five.

I muted the tv as soon as I realized the interviewer was going to slobber all over the collective knobs of that bunch of corrupt, entitled bastards. As was said previously, they never won anything. Their greatest contribution to college basketball was fashion - long shorts and black socks. The 30-for-30 interview segment with Jalen Rose where all he did was complain about not making any money from the bookstore selling his replica jersey, and how everybody on the team was pissed because they went to Europe in the summer and didn't get to go hang out in Detroit was the final straw for me. Real college-worthy students would kill for a free summer trip like that. I might have had a little sympathy for the jersey bit, if it weren't for the common knowledge of how much money Fisher's bagman was funneling their way. Eff the Fab Five.
Did you really hear complaints in the IU story about their overseas tour? I saw guys laughing about RMK losing his luggage, Laughing about Stew Robinson's adventures he laughed about. Stew was a favorite player of mine. Stew laughing about himself, Too bad Stew and Winston weren't still there to win it in 87 . The only slight complaint might have been Alford and that was just from having played so much the yr before and I doubt in the end he regrets it at all. Webber wasn't poor inner city kid for one and those guys got a free trip to see places around the world that most would kill for with friends at 20 and it all being taken care of logistically . I am so glad IU had a great team at the time so they didnt just roll the B10 Steve Fisher was a joke of a coach and if not for Edwards in foul trouble against Seton Hall the runner up that RMK admits to messing up IU may have won it that yr.

"Corrupt entitled bastards", that's a wierd take on some teenagers from a long time ago. Do you have kids? If so, how many of them made millions of dollars playing basketball?

• Haha
Reactions: Crayfish57
"Corrupt entitled bastards", that's a wierd take on some teenagers from a long time ago. Do you have kids? If so, how many of them made millions of dollars playing basketball?
Perhaps that's a bit harsh, but long after those guys were grown men they still were indignant that they were somehow not given their due nor were they the slightest bit contrite about taking improper benefits. It still rankles me that some of them ( Jalen Rose in particular) believe that they were somehow pioneers because they were black and brought street fashion to the game. Every program in the countrly had multiple black players for 20 years or more by the time those guys came along. A little bit of humility might be in order considering what earlier black athletes and teams ( Texas Western for example) endured and accomplished. Even their pride in their attire ( like that was any sort of accomplishment) wasn't something novel. Marquette's teams had already hoisted that flag.

Michigan's basketball program was a cesspool of NCAA violations during their time there, just as bad as Kentucky and all the other bad actors who routinely get cited as mocking the concept of student-athletes. Those UM teams and players should never be held up as examples of anything good, and damn sure not as any kind of trailblazers or bastions of integrity. Not one of them overcame any sort of hardship that wasn't common to so many black athletes and students who never had anything close to the privileges and benefits those UM players were afforded.

If they did I would hope they still weren't complaining about how bad they had it on a full ride and getting to tour the world for free.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT