ADVERTISEMENT

Current state of the program

82hoosier

All-American
Sep 7, 2001
The University has little control over the athletic department.

The athletic department has little control over the football coach

The football coach has little control over the offensive coordinator. The offensive coordinator says we are a run first program. Unfortunately the line cannot open holes, the quarterback is not a runner and the back getting the most carries weighs about 150 lbs.

The football coach says that the problem is execution.

They offensive coordinator says that blaming the problems on execution is throwing the players under the bus and has implied that the problem is preparation.

And then on a weekly basis the players are put in front of cameras to discuss the state of the football program. Of course they are not going to say anything critical of anybody.

Virtually everyone inside the program is afraid to share their views as to what is wrong with the program. So everything reverts back to talking about LEO.

And now, almost halfway through the season, the team is going to conduct an in-depth evaluation of every position.

The team did not scrimmage during spring ball. Instead they had a cookout. I think they only scrimmaged three times in the fall (actually summer), and then announced the starting quarterback a half an hour before the Ohio State game. In what other sport does the team take the field with so little actual practice. And now after five games there is virtually no consensus as to who the quarterback should be. Or what offense should be run.

Up to now the defense has been under the radar. But that will likely change this week since they gave up four touchdown drives in the first half against Maryland and none of them were longer than 45 seconds.

The only thing that is pretty much assured is that nobody is going to pay $20 million to Tom Allen. Not to mention what they would have to do with their army of assistant coaches.

The black uniforms against Akron did not work. We are now buying out the Louisville game next year for a million dollars because they are too difficult in opponent.

And now for the good news! The Hoosiers have a bye week before they travel to Michigan to play the Wolverines. Plenty of time to fix what's wrong.

Edit: 5 minutes after posting this I see that Walt Bell has been fired and Rod Carey is the designated savior.

Last edited:

The football coach has little control over the offensive coordinator. The offensive coordinator says we are a run first program. Unfortunately the line cannot open holes, the quarterback is not a runner and the back getting the most carries weighs about 150 lbs.

They offensive coordinator says that blaming the problems on execution is throwing the players under the bus and has implied that the problem is preparation.

And then on a weekly basis the players are put in front of cameras to discuss the state of the football program. Of course they are not going to say anything critical of anybody.

Virtually everyone inside the program is afraid to share their views as to what is wrong with the program. So everything reverts back to talking about LEO.

And now, almost halfway through the season, the team is going to conduct an in-depth evaluation of every position.

The team did not scrimmage during spring ball. Instead they had a cookout. I think they only scrimmaged three times in the fall (actually summer), and then announced the starting quarterback a half an hour before the Ohio State game. In what other sport does the team take the field with so little actual practice. And now after five games there is virtually no consensus as to who the quarterback should be. Or what offense should be run.

Up to now the defense has been under the radar. But that will likely change this week since they gave up four touchdown drives in the first half against Maryland and none of them were longer than 45 seconds.

The only thing that is pretty much assured is that nobody is going to pay $20 million to Tom Allen. Not to mention what they would have to do with their army of assistant coaches.

The black uniforms against Akron did not work. We are now buying out the Louisville game next year for a million dollars because they are too difficult in opponent.

And now for the good news! The Hoosiers have a bye week before they travel to Michigan to play the Wolverines. Plenty of time to fix what's wrong.

Edit: 5 minutes after posting this I see that Walt Bell has been fired and Rod Carey is the designated savior.
When they march the players out to talk to the press it reminds me of a hostage situation.

Why does no one have control over anyone?
Pres doesn’t control the AD
Ad doesn’t control HC.
I don’t understand.

It's obvious that this is all over but the very expensive crying. Once his buyout drops to near poverty level $9M, he's gone.

• Wow
Reactions: GolfHacker1
Why does no one have control over anyone?
Pres doesn’t control the AD
Ad doesn’t control HC.
I don’t understand.
Not necessarily the president of the University. Could be the board of trustees. But somebody was asleep at the switch to allow a coach to to contract for a $20 million buyout or a $5 million a year paycheck without any minimum performance requirements.

Look at Mel Tucker at Michigan State. A $100 million 10-year contract with enough wiggle room that he is now suing the University for wrongful termination.

Regarding the athletic director's control, in theory a coach can just mail it in with minimal effort in order to collect an eight-figure severance package. That is just wrong.

I agree. The buy outs seem wrong. Pay a high enough yearly salary, but if you are not successful, we will try another coach.
I'm not even sure why buyout's are necessary. If you sign a guy to(let's say a 2 year extension ) isn't he bound to stay there for 2 years?

Are the buyouts less important post-NIL? The players don't need that guarantee the coach is there for the long haul as they can leave whenever they want. It's all 1 year contracts now.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT