ADVERTISEMENT

It isn't in schools

IUCrazy2

Hall of Famer
Mar 7, 2004

It isn't in schools so much that every major textbook company decided to include it in math questions. 40% of the textbooks had to be tossed because they focused on something other than math (or moved the focus).

It isn't in schools so much that every major textbook company decided to include it in math questions. 40% of the textbooks had to be tossed because they focused on something other than math (or moved the focus).
Nope. Definitely not in our schools. It’s a conspiracy theory.

Reactions: DANC

She says that they were pushing an agenda but flying under the radar. You tell me, what was the exact agenda being pushed? If the agenda is that there is nothing wrong with being gay or straight, what is wrong? What evidence in that video suggests it is more than that?

Yep, absolutely crazy. Something needs to be done. From what I'm hearing, this is more than just a dozen instances that have been reported around the country - I'm hearing rumblings of 30 bad teachers. I guess 31 if you include the teacher from my town who was giving high fives to students who wore Trump shirts.

We need to get back to straight schooling so the next generation will be like my generation in middle and high school, in which the three (known) gay kids were constantly bullied and all three transferred. Then there was the one black kid who was constantly called the N word for fun.

Less Libs of Tik Tok. More Turning Point USA and Prager U.

WTF they will stop at nothing. WTFx10

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
She says that they were pushing an agenda but flying under the radar. You tell me, what was the exact agenda being pushed? If the agenda is that there is nothing wrong with being gay or straight, what is wrong? What evidence in that video suggests it is more than that?
Seriously Marvin, why would you bring sex into a math class, why would you bring religion into a math class, or why would you bring politics into a math class unless you had an agenda? I have no idea what the agenda was. You say "If the agenda is that there is nothing wrong with being gay or straight, what is wrong?".... well if my kid goes to a math class I want the teacher to teach them math, not try to indoctrinate them on some other subject be it religion, politics, or sexual orientation.

Ah, those story problems

A train is traveling eastbound at 47 mph and another train is traveling northwest at 55 mph...

Those story problems certainly groomed me to be very anti-train.
Says our resident former Republican. If it makes no difference then how about:

Christianity overtook the majority of the world because its tenets were found to be superior in building both the individual and society at large. The benefits of Christianity and its impact on Western thought can be seen in the dominance the West has had over the world for centuries.

Jesus is an important figure in Christianity. If he has 2 fish and 5 loaves available to feed 5,000 people. How many times would he need to miraculously multiply each to feed the 5,000?

Just math right? Just the same as two trains moving in a different direction. Nothing to see here...

Clown.

I get the story problem issue, it shows conservatives more often equate black with bad than liberals do. That does touch on politics. So it probably oversteps a line in a way that comparing fictional groups may not.

But that doesn't mean we adults cannot wonder why conservatives more often attribute negative words to Black.

Says our resident former Republican. If it makes no difference then how about:

Christianity overtook the majority of the world because its tenets were found to be superior in building both the individual and society at large. The benefits of Christianity and its impact on Western thought can be seen in the dominance the West has had over the world for centuries.

Jesus is an important figure in Christianity. If he has 2 fish and 5 loaves available to feed 5,000 people. How many times would he need to miraculously multiply each to feed the 5,000?

Just math right? Just the same as two trains moving in a different direction. Nothing to see here...

Clown.
Why would we put my neighbor down the street, Jesus, in a textbook? I can ask him the answer to your question but I doubt he has five loaves of bread.

Reactions: largemouth
You know if you started using that to teach math that there would be an outcry to get religion out of our schools.
Absolutely. And this is the type of thing that I am kind of advocating for in the other thread. Ok, no big deal to have all of that political, religious, cultural stuff mixed in with math? Ok, well we are going to do it too. They won't see it or smell it until you shove their face in it and smash it around.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Ah, those story problems

A train is traveling eastbound at 47 mph and another train is traveling northwest at 55 mph...

Those story problems certainly groomed me to be very anti-train.

Biden wouldn't be happy with you... he's all about that Amtrak

200w.gif

Showing LGBTQ orientation content to 3rd graders is unacceptable. Your point is lost on me.

Yep, absolutely crazy. Something needs to be done. From what I'm hearing, this is more than just a dozen instances that have been reported around the country - I'm hearing rumblings of 30 bad teachers. I guess 31 if you include the teacher from my town who was giving high fives to students who wore Trump shirts.

We need to get back to straight schooling so the next generation will be like my generation in middle and high school, in which the three (known) gay kids were constantly bullied and all three transferred. Then there was the one black kid who was constantly called the N word for fun.

Less Libs of Tik Tok. More Turning Point USA and Prager U.
Is it in schools or is it not? The argument of Liberals all over the internet - including here - is that it isn’t. So is it or isn’t it?

The whatabout forming the rest of your post is stupid. I would blow a gasket if religion was being pushed onto my kids too.

Absolutely. And this is the type of thing that I am kind of advocating for in the other thread. Ok, no big deal to have all of that political, religious, cultural stuff mixed in with math? Ok, well we are going to do it too. They won't see it or smell it until you shove their face in it and smash it around.
Here is a book on how Christian public school teachers can integrate their faith in the classroom. Is that ok?

Amazon product ASIN 0801058449

Here is a book on how Christian public school teachers can integrate their faith in the classroom. Is that ok?

Depends on how overt it is and what it is. Same with someone who is Islamic, Buddhist, atheist, etc.

If it is taking the christ message to love others as yourself and applying that to how you teach, cool. If it is, here is how to secretly win converts to Jesus behind the backs of parents, not cool. This isn't hard.

Is it in schools or is it not? The argument of Liberals all over the internet - including here - is that it isn’t. So is it or isn’t it?

The whatabout forming the rest of your post is stupid.
I agree that whatever you want to call it is mildly integrated into schools. I believe there are teachers who take some of the integrations one or more steps too far. I also disagree with the outrage and prevalence of bad teaching/curriculum.

And my post isn't stupid. Don't cancel me.

So, one quibble. These textbooks were rejected, meaning they weren't in the schools? I mean, they may have been on the list of possible textbooks but it doesn't appear they made it into the classroom.

Yay FDOE?

I read the article a couple times so if I'm missing something I apologize.

Reactions: Bulk VanderHuge
Depends on how overt it is and what it is. Same with someone who is Islamic, Buddhist, atheist, etc.

If it is taking the christ message to love others as yourself and applying that to how you teach, cool. If it is, here is how to secretly win converts to Jesus behind the backs of parents, not cool. This isn't hard.
Here is the catch, we have long used reading materials that discuss the family. If we only use material saying the ideal 8s one mother and one father, we teach kids from other families they are inferior. That is what I adamantly oppose. If we ever talk about the family unit, it must be inclusive. This isn't hard.

Reactions: IU_Hickory
Here is the catch, we have long used reading materials that discuss the family. If we only use material saying the ideal 8s one mother and one father, we teach kids from other families they are inferior. That is what I adamantly oppose. If we ever talk about the family unit, it must be inclusive. This isn't hard.
I cannot recall any educational material telling me what the ideal family is.

I am open to using some of that (although I don't like it, not gonna lie) as long as it is done in the same way it is for heterosexuals.

Stories where Mom and Dad appear are usually stories about the cute cat and how the child and Mommy help feed the cat and on and on. Stories that have two same sex parents are invariably about two same sex parents. That's the story. That is where the main problem lies. The focus is on the gay. That's the entire point of the book.

Heterosexual books aren't "I have a Mommy and a Daddy" that then go on to tell you how normal it is to have a Mommy and Daddy (which, duh, biology). The Mommy and Daddy are just there.

I cannot recall any educational material telling me what the ideal family is.
So you read stories including gay parents, including adoption, raised by grandparents, etc. Congratulations on your enlightenment. I think a lot of districts still refuse to allow stories involving two dads or two moms

Reactions: bub-rub

Anyone else seeing the irony of a (admittedly satirical) post expounding Christian values and then using a story problem using Arabic numerals?

Reactions: larsIU
So you read stories including gay parents, including adoption, raised by grandparents, etc. Congratulations on your enlightenment. I think a lot of districts still refuse to allow stories involving two dads or two moms
I have no idea what you’re driving at. If it’s an implicit bias argument, then fine I sorta see your point (but not really) but that’s a hijack of a video posted where a FOIA search yielded a teacher in her virtual classroom showed YouTube videos talking about sex orientation and LGBTQ to 3rd graders. Where your tangent appeared is lost on me.

So, one quibble. These textbooks were rejected, meaning they weren't in the schools? I mean, they may have been on the list of possible textbooks but it doesn't appear they made it into the classroom.

Yay FDOE?

I read the article a couple times so if I'm missing something I apologize.
Same here...I read that story that the FDOE had 100 textbooks submitted for approval. 49 were denied for having certain content, so were not considered for state adoption. I'm sure others were not considered for other reasons.
So, what's the problem?

I have no idea what you’re driving at. If it’s an implicit bias argument, then fine I sorta see your point (but not really) but that’s a hijack of a video posted where a FOIA search yielded a teacher in her virtual classroom showed YouTube videos talking about sex orientation and LGBTQ to 3rd graders. Where your tangent appeared is lost on me.
I have not watched that video being discussed, have you? Can you tell me exactly what it says?

Yes, it is implicit bias. We want schools to implicitly teach gays are inferior while claiming we are being tolerant. I want schools to be agnostic on what makes up a family. I was mostly raised by my grandparents, my mom left my dad circa 1st grade, then died in my 4th grade year. I know that, at least circa 1970, any arrangement but two opposite sex mother and father was not considered *normal".

I want kids to realize whatever there situation is, it is decidedly not "strange", "weird", or "wrong". No matter what anyone here thinks of two dads, it is damn well not the child's fault. And if the child believes they are gay, it ain't their "fault" or something they should be stigmatized for.

I attended 1-6 with a boy who was gay. I did not have a clue what being gay was to be honest. But we all knew he was different from the other boys. And we all knew "queer" was bad even if I could not tell you what queer was, I could tell you it was bad. I am certain he had it very rough. After I got older and realized more I did try to apologize for anything I may have said. Fortunately he didn't recall me ever being mean to him like others were.

I don't know how to tackle this problem, but like racism, I do not think sweeping it under the rug and pretending it does not exist is the answer.

I have not watched that video being discussed, have you? Can you tell me exactly what it says?

Yes, it is implicit bias. We want schools to implicitly teach gays are inferior while claiming we are being tolerant. I want schools to be agnostic on what makes up a family. I was mostly raised by my grandparents, my mom left my dad circa 1st grade, then died in my 4th grade year. I know that, at least circa 1970, any arrangement but two opposite sex mother and father was not considered *normal".

I want kids to realize whatever there situation is, it is decidedly not "strange", "weird", or "wrong". No matter what anyone here thinks of two dads, it is damn well not the child's fault. And if the child believes they are gay, it ain't their "fault" or something they should be stigmatized for.

I attended 1-6 with a boy who was gay. I did not have a clue what being gay was to be honest. But we all knew he was different from the other boys. And we all knew "queer" was bad even if I could not tell you what queer was, I could tell you it was bad. I am certain he had it very rough. After I got older and realized more I did try to apologize for anything I may have said. Fortunately he didn't recall me ever being mean to him like others were.

I don't know how to tackle this problem, but like racism, I do not think sweeping it under the rug and pretending it does not exist is the answer.
TEACHING 3RD GRADERS SEXUALITY - straight or gay - IS NOT OK.

That’s the point Marv. It’s very simple. Sometimes overthinking is just that - overthinking.

It’s not happening in schools.

• Wow
Reactions: 76-1 and DANC

Same and I graduated high school in rural Indiana in the early 2000s. Having worked in higher ed for the past ten years, I noticed students are much more accepting of others than even when I attended IU.

Saying "that's not cool" when someone says something offensive isn't what many might label as woke. They just want people to be nice and considerate of each other. I can only recall one "woke" student who was a little too much, but they were still a good person. I also recall some mens rights students at IU who enrolled in a womens studies class for the sole purpose of disrupting the class.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT