ADVERTISEMENT

It isn't in schools

I have not watched that video being discussed, have you? Can you tell me exactly what it says?

Yes, it is implicit bias. We want schools to implicitly teach gays are inferior while claiming we are being tolerant. I want schools to be agnostic on what makes up a family. I was mostly raised by my grandparents, my mom left my dad circa 1st grade, then died in my 4th grade year. I know that, at least circa 1970, any arrangement but two opposite sex mother and father was not considered *normal".

I want kids to realize whatever there situation is, it is decidedly not "strange", "weird", or "wrong". No matter what anyone here thinks of two dads, it is damn well not the child's fault. And if the child believes they are gay, it ain't their "fault" or something they should be stigmatized for.

I attended 1-6 with a boy who was gay. I did not have a clue what being gay was to be honest. But we all knew he was different from the other boys. And we all knew "queer" was bad even if I could not tell you what queer was, I could tell you it was bad. I am certain he had it very rough. After I got older and realized more I did try to apologize for anything I may have said. Fortunately he didn't recall me ever being mean to him like others were.

I don't know how to tackle this problem, but like racism, I do not think sweeping it under the rug and pretending it does not exist is the answer.
Your living situation was not normal. Look up the definition for normal. It is the usual, average, or typical state or condition. Having two parents of the same sex is not normal. Sorry, those are facts.

You are equating normal with "good" and abnormal with "bad". That is a you hangup.

acceptable:
Jill's father gave her 5 quarters so she could buy a pack of gum costing, with tax, $1.04. How much change does Jill have after buying the gum?

unacceptable:
Jill's parent gave them 5 quarters so they could buy a pack of gum costing, with tax, $1.04. How much change does Jill have after buying the gum?

Your living situation was not normal. Look up the definition for normal. It is the usual, average, or typical state or condition. Having two parents of the same sex is not normal. Sorry, those are facts.

You are equating normal with "good" and abnormal with "bad". That is a you hangup.

Society equates normal as good. You know it, don't play stupid. Gays were bad because they are not "normal". Interracial marriage was bad because it was not "normal". Kids that don't stand for the "Pledge" aren't normal and were picked on. Jews were not "normal" and were picked on. Why do you think all these groups in America have a history of being beaten, cursed at, not hired, if "normal" played no role whatsoever. Do you think the KKK said, "Blacks are normal citizens just like us, let us go hang a few"?

Not being "normal" is quite literally "abnormal". Go ask any kid if they want to be abnormal

It isn't in schools so much that every major textbook company decided to include it in math questions. 40% of the textbooks had to be tossed because they focused on something other than math (or moved the focus).
40% of the textbooks HAD to be dropped. Lol. You might look into who exactly who owns the textbooks that were NOT dropped. Coincidence I’m sure.

Reactions: cosmickid
If there are 3 girls and 2 boys in class and 1 of the girls identifies as a boy, how many girls are there in the class?
Society equates normal as good. You know it, don't play stupid. Gays were bad because they are not "normal". Interracial marriage was bad because it was not "normal". Kids that don't stand for the "Pledge" aren't normal and were picked on. Jews were not "normal" and were picked on. Why do you think all these groups in America have a history of being beaten, cursed at, not hired, if "normal" played no role whatsoever. Do you think the KKK said, "Blacks are normal citizens just like us, let us go hang a few"?

Not being "normal" is quite literally "abnormal". Go ask any kid if they want to be abnormal.
Seems like a whole bunch of kids want to be abnormal these days. Even ones that are not.

Same and I graduated high school in rural Indiana in the early 2000s. Having worked in higher ed for the past ten years, I noticed students are much more accepting of others than even when I attended IU.

Saying "that's not cool" when someone says something offensive isn't what many might label as woke. They just want people to be nice and considerate of each other. I can only recall one "woke" student who was a little too much, but they were still a good person. I also recall some mens rights students at IU who enrolled in a womens studies class for the sole purpose of disrupting the class.
No one has a problem with what you describe. That is literally the Golden Rule. They take issue with proselytizing.

Seems like a whole bunch of kids want to be abnormal these days. Even ones that are not.
It's normal to be abnormal nowdays.

I always felt I was far from 'normal' in HS. But honestly, I didn't know that many well-adjusted kids in HS. We were all just trying to figure it out.

I definitely think the anti-bullying message is getting through more now in the past, but I think that's because parents are more atune to it.

My parents' philososphy was like most others of their time - life is a struggle and you might as well figure out how to take care of yourself, because no one else will do it for you. It wasn't a mean thing - that's just how life was, especially for the families of a lot of WWII and Korean war vets during the baby boom.

I mean, if someone complained about bullying it was taught you stand up to it and punch the other kid in the nose. Not that that happened much, because usually the bullies were much bigger and stronger. We didn't have the internet, but there were always rumors going around the small town.

It's just not that way anymore, and I think it's for the better overall, but I also think it leads to more victimization.

It's normal to be abnormal nowdays.

I always felt I was far from 'normal' in HS. But honestly, I didn't know that many well-adjusted kids in HS. We were all just trying to figure it out.

I definitely think the anti-bullying message is getting through more now in the past, but I think that's because parents are more atune to it.

My parents' philososphy was like most others of their time - life is a struggle and you might as well figure out how to take care of yourself, because no one else will do it for you. It wasn't a mean thing - that's just how life was, especially for the families of a lot of WWII and Korean war vets during the baby boom.

I mean, if someone complained about bullying it was taught you stand up to it and punch the other kid in the nose. Not that that happened much, because usually the bullies were much bigger and stronger. We didn't have the internet, but there were always rumors going around the small town.

It's just not that way anymore, and I think it's for the better overall, but I also think it leads to more victimization.
I teach my kids not to pick on people. Period. It is a pretty simple message that doesn't need to delve into any ideology. Just don't bully people because everyone is going through their thing.

Only one of them is old enough to start expanding conversations that require more nuance. One of the biggest issues we have in modern times is the idea that tolerance and acceptance are synonyms.

She says that they were pushing an agenda but flying under the radar. You tell me, what was the exact agenda being pushed? If the agenda is that there is nothing wrong with being gay or straight, what is wrong? What evidence in that video suggests it is more than that?
You know, I was waiting for the pedestrian signal last week on a busy sidewalk and was overtaken by two lunch hour groups. I listened carefully and they were all discussing how crowded their "to do agenda" had become.

Some time ago, my wife texted me to ask if I could go to the grocery for her because she "had left my grocery agenda" on the kitchen counter,

Last December, I finished my gift shopping in record time, and I think it was solely because I had taken the time to begin my "gift agenda"in October.

However, when someone claims someone else's political comment is in furtherance of "their agenda", it's virtually certain they are full of shit and have no idea what they are talking about. Nobody uses that word either in normal conversation or in serious political discussion.

Reactions: cosmickid
Same here...I read that story that the FDOE had 100 textbooks submitted for approval. 49 were denied for having certain content, so were not considered for state adoption. I'm sure others were not considered for other reasons.
So, what's the problem?
They were rejected by the State of Florida Ed. Dept. because the State of Florida Ed. Dept. doesn't have its head up its ass. Good for them. The point is that national book manufacturers are spitting out this garbage. They cannot be trusted. They shouldn't be trying to shove this crap down our throats.

You know, I was waiting for the pedestrian signal last week on a busy sidewalk and was overtaken by two lunch hour groups. I listened carefully and they were all discussing how crowded their "to do agenda" had become.

Some time ago, my wife texted me to ask if I could go to the grocery for her because she "had left my grocery agenda" on the kitchen counter,

Last December, I finished my gift shopping in record time, and I think it was solely because I had taken the time to begin my "gift agenda"in October.

However, when someone claims someone else's political comment is in furtherance of "their agenda", it's virtually certain they are full of shit and have no idea what they are talking about. Nobody uses that word either in normal conversation or in serious political discussion.
There's nothing wrong with the word. The problem is with your agenda.

It’s not happening in schools.

Hello private school. The culture war is worth fighting.

They were rejected by the State of Florida Ed. Dept. because the State of Florida Ed. Dept. doesn't have its head up its ass. Good for them. The point is that national book manufacturers are spitting out this garbage. They cannot be trusted. They shouldn't be trying to shove this crap down our throats.
I don't think we are arguing.
Textbook companies put out textbooks. Education departments at the state level pick the ones they want. Local school districts then have a narrowed down list to choose the books they feel best serve their students.
This has been going on for years.
How is this a story?

Reactions: larsIU
Textbook companies put out textbooks. Education departments at the state level pick the ones they want. Local school districts then have a narrowed down list to choose the books they feel best serve their students.
How is this a story?
Let me introduce you to a few polarizing acronyms by the names of CRT and SEL. I hope I didn't cause anyone's head to explode.

I served on a committee to choose science textbooks for grades 7-12 in Palm Beach County FL. It included general middle school science, high school biology, chemistry, physics, math, plus a few specialized ones like marine science and ecology. This was about 8-10 years ago.

I recall no textbooks at all that had any "wokeness" to them. I suppose the ecology one dealt with climate change, though, but that's about it.

The bigger problem by far was biology textbook publishers pushing "special editions" where they marginalized core topics such as evolution, to apparently pander to anti-evolution right wing disctricts and school boards. We were able to get our hands on the same publisher's two versions of the "same" textbook, one assembled for use in Massachusetts (#1 in public school education in the USA) and the other earmarked for a Bible belt state. The differences were stunning, eye-opening, and disappointing.

We generally favored textbooks that didn't dumb down the subject. We had no desire to produce a bunch of thoughtless DANCs.

Last edited:
If there are 3 girls and 2 boys in class and 1 of the girls identifies as a boy, how many girls are there in the class?
We haven’t even touched on the one who identifies as nonbinary. 😆

I feel sorry for conservatives trying to navigate this new social climate. Frankly, I don’t worry about it and just hope we are turning out kids who are good and kind people.

How is this a story?
When Leftists argue, they are intentionally obtuse. You are an intelligent person and are better than this.

The obvious point such is this: It is a story, and a huge story, because there is no way that 8-10 years ago the State of Florida would have been obligated to reject 41% of MATH textbooks because wokesters were trying to sneak this nonsense by the educational authorities and more importantly, the parents. Education, not indoctrination.

• Haha
Reactions: IU_Hickory and DANC
When Leftists argue, they are intentionally obtuse. You are an intelligent person and are better than this.

The obvious point such is this: It is a story, and a huge story, because there is no way that 8-10 years ago the State of Florida would have been obligated to reject 41% of MATH textbooks because wokesters were trying to sneak this nonsense by the educational authorities and more importantly, the parents. Education, not indoctrination.
So, on average, how many textbook submission proposals do you think state DOE’s reject on an annual basis? I think Florida had 149 this year. Gotta narrow that down somehow. I don’t think we are arguing, because obviously elected officials are going to use the criteria of their constituency to make decisions, right?
BFD. Those books may be adopted in other states where the values are different. No problem here.

Textbook nothingburger. (see what I did there?)

Last edited:
Reactions: UncleMark
I would bet my life savings that there's no way that 41% of MATH textbooks were full of the crap that they are saying they were full of. It's a case of DeDantis's goon squad having a bizarre filter and rejecting any book with a story problem somewhere in it that (as an example) used a generic word such as "parent" or "guardian" instead of their preference, "mother" or "father".

• Haha
Reactions: DANC
I would bet my life savings that there's no way that 41% of MATH textbooks were full of the crap that they are saying they were full of. It's a case of DeDantis's goon squad having a bizarre filter and rejecting any book with a story problem somewhere in it that (as an example) used a generic word such as "parent" or "guardian" instead of their preference, "mother" or "father".
They think and want people to think SEL is CRT and don't want students to think about their feelings or other social impacts. We live in God's country, not a collective society.

Here is the catch, we have long used reading materials that discuss the family. If we only use material saying the ideal 8s one mother and one father, we teach kids from other families they are inferior. That is what I adamantly oppose. If we ever talk about the family unit, it must be inclusive. This isn't hard.
Are we allowed to teach them about biological imperatives, specifically the single most important of the natural world at large?

I served on a committee to choose science textbooks for grades 7-12 in Palm Beach County FL. It included general middle school science, high school biology, chemistry, physics, math, plus a few specialized ones like marine science and ecology. This was about 8-10 years ago.

I recall no textbooks at all that had any "wokeness" to them. I suppose the ecology one dealt with climate change, though, but that's about it.

The bigger problem by far was biology textbook publishers pushing "special editions" where they marginalized core topics such as evolution, to apparently pander to anti-evolution right wing disctricts and school boards. We were able to get our hands on the same publisher's two versions of the "same" textbook, one assembled for use in Massachusetts (#1 in public school education in the USA) and the other earmarked for a Bible belt state. The differences were stunning, eye-opening, and disappointing.

We generally favored textbooks that didn't dumb down the subject. We had no desire to produce a bunch of thoughtless DANCs.
I thought you had me on ignore! lmao.

LIAR!

• Haha
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Your life savings wouldn't buy a cup of coffee, so it's a safe bet for you. Who are you kidding?

• Love
Reactions: Lucy01
We haven’t even touched on the one who identifies as nonbinary. 😆

I feel sorry for conservatives trying to navigate this new social climate. Frankly, I don’t worry about it and just hope we are turning out kids who are good and kind people.
You better hope we’re turning out enough to keep the country running . . . . So we don’t have to close the doors.

You better hope we’re turning out enough to keep the country running . . . . So we don’t have to close the doors.
That’s just it, conservatives are all up in arms over maybe 10% of the population. Relax.

“All those dayglow freaks who used to paint the face. They've joined the human race. Some things will never change.”

- Steely Dan

So, on average, how many textbook submission proposals do you think state DOE’s reject on an annual basis? I think Florida had 149 this year. Gotta narrow that down somehow. I don’t think we are arguing, because obviously elected officials are going to use the criteria of their constituency to make decisions, right?
BFD. Those books may be adopted in other states where the values are different. No problem here.

Textbook nothingburger. (see what I did there?)
Others (here and online and in media), though, said it was all a made up conspiracy theory invented by the right wing and that none of this stuff was even being taught.

Isn’t this story a pretty useful piece of evidence against that gaslighting narrative?

Reactions: anon_mlxxvlbug9dpa
They think and want people to think SEL is CRT and don't want students to think about their feelings or other social impacts. We live in God's country, not a collective society.

Tell me those are ok. With a serious face.

Others (here and online and in media), though, said it was all a made up conspiracy theory invented by the right wing and that none of this stuff was even being taught.

Isn’t this story a pretty useful piece of evidence against that gaslighting narrative?
Some see this story as a group pushing an agenda into schools.

Others see it as the system working by keeping the aforementioned agenda out of the school system.

Of course every issue can be framed as one wishes I suppose.

Not unlike Jan 6 and the events thereafter
Some see this story as a group pushing an agenda into schools.

Others see it as the system working by keeping the aforementioned agenda out of the school system.

Of course every issue can be framed as one wishes I suppose.

Reactions: DANC
...that last sentence was uncalled for.
It's all about clarity.

If I praise a good free throw shooter, I could generically say "Wow, what a shooter". But better, for this audience, would be to say the shooter reminds me of Steve Alford, or Reggie Miller.

If I marvel over someone's abject stupidity, I could generically say "Wow, what a moron". But better, for this audience, would be to say that the dumbass is practically a DANC. The pinnacle of dumbassery.

Man I tell you, school is a crazy place. The text indeed push social issues. They’re inserted so a kid doesn’t even notice.

The issues my 6th grader has faced have been shocking. I was naive. She’s constantly pushed on her orientation because she’s not into boys. She’s 12! It’s crazy. We’re leaving public school and heading to Catholic school next year. Figure we’ll do that with all the kids. The High School sounds just unbelievable. (And this is a county that votes 70/30 Red)

It's all about clarity.

If I praise a good free throw shooter, I could generically say "Wow, what a shooter". But better, for this audience, would be to say the shooter reminds me of Steve Alford, or Reggie Miller.

If I marvel over someone's abject stupidity, I could generically say "Wow, what a moron". But better, for this audience, would be to say that the dumbass is practically a DANC. The pinnacle of dumbassery.

Like I said, I seldom agree with DANC's politics, but he is far, far from the pinnacle. Either on the left or the right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT