ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Class

daddyhoosier

Junior
Aug 31, 2019
iufb.net
Rivals and 247 Sports both have Indiana's 2022 recruiting class ranked 19th Nationally so far. The incoming Hoosier class has 19 commits and 7 transfers.

I'm not super high on the utility of these rankings (both individual and team) but at the same I think it's interesting enough to take a quick look.

Five recruits are rated four stars by both Rivals and 247:

Dasan McCullough (Edge), Trevell Mullen (CB), Omar Cooper (WR), Gi'Bran Payne (RB) and Dominick 'Nick' James (DL).

Rivals also lists DJ Moore (OL/IOL) and Venson Sneed (DE/DL) as four stars.

Rivals has seven four star players in this class and 247 and five. Running Back / Athlete Shaun Shivers is also listed as a four star transfer. So that's as many as eight four star guys in this class.

D. McCullough comes in as Indiana's highest rated prospect ever. He is ranked 5th in his class nationally at his position (Edge) and 58th nationally overall.

247 rates Trevell Mullen higher than Tiawan Mullen was coming out of high school and has him as the eighth highest rated recruit in program history.

Omar Cooper isn't listed by Indiana's media as part of national signing day because he is planning to wait until February to sign. Which of course means he could still potentially flip.

When you include transfers there is a crop of at least 18 three star guys. If the current coaching staff develop them properly there are likely some really good football players who can become key contributors down the line.

Rashard Fant, Coy Cronk, Nate Sudfeld, Tiawan Mullen, Tegray Scales, Michael Penix, Reese Taylor, Tevin Coleman, Shane Wynn, Matthew Bedford, Cam Jones, Peyton Hendershot, Stevie Scott, Peyton Ramsey, Nick Westbrook, Whop Philyor and Devine Redding were all three star recruits.

According to 247 Indiana has 18 all-time four star recruits. The jury is still out on several of them but to date I wouldn't say any of them have been home runs. And for some perspective Alabama has 19 four star recruits in their 22 Class (247).

DL - 6
RB - 4
DB - 4
LB - 4
WR - 3
OL - 3
TE - 2

The thing that jumps out at me here is only three offensive linemen. I'm not sure if they didn't land some of the guys they were focused on or if they just didn't focus on OL very much. Either way it seems we need some more help in this department.

FL - 9
OH - 5
IN - 3
TX - 2
AL - 2
AR - 1
CA - 1
LA - 1
NC - 1
NJ - 1

Continuing to hit Florida hard and I saw several from the Miami area.

Rivals and 247 Sports both have Indiana's 2022 recruiting class ranked 19th Nationally so far. The incoming Hoosier class has 19 commits and 7 transfers.

I'm not super high on the utility of these rankings (both individual and team) but at the same I think it's interesting enough to take a quick look.

Dasan McCullough (Edge), Trevell Mullen (CB), Omar Cooper (WR), Gi'Bran Payne (RB) and Dominick 'Nick' James (DL).

Rivals has seven four star players in this class and 247 and five. Running Back / Athlete Shaun Shivers is also listed as a four star transfer. So that's as many as eight four star guys in this class.

D. McCullough comes in as Indiana's highest rated prospect ever. He is ranked 5th in his class nationally at his position (Edge) and 58th nationally overall.

247 rates Trevell Mullen higher than Tiawan Mullen was coming out of high school and has him as the eighth highest rated recruit in program history.

Omar Cooper isn't listed by Indiana's media as part of national signing day because he is planning to wait until February to sign. Which of course means he could still potentially flip.

When you include transfers there is a crop of at least 18 three star guys. If the current coaching staff develop them properly there are likely some really good football players who can become key contributors down the line.

Rashard Fant, Coy Cronk, Nate Sudfeld, Tiawan Mullen, Tegray Scales, Michael Penix, Reese Taylor, Tevin Coleman, Shane Wynn, Matthew Bedford, Cam Jones, Peyton Hendershot, Stevie Scott, Peyton Ramsey, Nick Westbrook, Whop Philyor and Devine Redding were all three star recruits.

According to 247 Indiana has 18 all-time four star recruits. The jury is still out on several of them but to date I wouldn't say any of them have been home runs. And for some perspective Alabama has 19 four star recruits in their 22 Class (247).

DL - 6
RB - 4
DB - 4
LB - 4
WR - 3
OL - 3
TE - 2

The thing that jumps out at me here is only three offensive linemen. I'm not sure if they didn't land some of the guys they were focused on or if they just didn't focus on OL very much. Either way it seems we need some more help in this department.

FL - 9
OH - 5
IN - 3
TX - 2
AL - 2
AR - 1
CA - 1
LA - 1
NC - 1
NJ - 1

Per the “only 3 OL” that brings total on team to like 16-17. That’s enough for a 3-deep.

Per “we need some more to help this area”. I don’t think most teams have 20+, I think the issue apparently everyone on the board except the man making the call, Tom Allen, thinks we need a new OL coach to better develop the size and talent we have.

Optimists were parsing his words “don’t expect any more changes” but until we actually see a change Announced, probably the ONLY bad part to fans about an unreal recruiting effort by IU is the frustration many have about Hiller still being at the helm of OL room.

Last edited:

DL - 6
RB - 4
DB - 4
LB - 4
WR - 3
OL - 3
TE - 2

FL - 9
OH - 5
IN - 3
TX - 2
AL - 2
AR - 1
CA - 1
LA - 1
NC - 1
NJ - 1

Nice post, thanks.
Any comments about the paucity of OL attention?

Per the “only 3 OL” that brings total on team to like 16-17. That’s enough for a 3-deep.

Per “we need some more to help this area”. I don’t think most teams have 20+, I think the issue apparently everyone on the board except the man making the call, Tom Allen, thinks we need a new OL coach to better develop the size and talent we have.

Optimists were parsing his words “don’t expect any more changes” but until we actually see a change Announced, probably the ONLY bad pet to fans about an unreal recruiting effort by IU is the frustration many have about Hiller still being at the helm of OL room.

People seem to not understand that a team can't have 20 offensive lineman on their roster when we only have 85 spots.

It's just not logical.

People seem to not understand that a team can't have 20 offensive lineman on their roster when we only have 85 spots.

It's just not logical.
OL is the most physically demanding position. It's not easy to maintain 300lbs, run block, pass block, pin and pull; pick up blitzes, stunts and twists.

And only 50-75% of your OL work out and are productive.

You need a lot of bodies at a program like IU.

Reactions: Sophie1970

It's just not logical.
There are 22 listed OL on 2021 roster according to the official IU site. It would make sense if several of those are walk-ons as it does not make sense for 1/4 of scholarships to be in one position group.

OL is the most physically demanding position. It's not easy to maintain 300lbs, run block, pass block, pin and pull; pick up blitzes, stunts and twists.

And only 50-75% of your OL work out and are productive.

You need a lot of bodies at a program like IU.

We have 16 kids there with the 3 that we just signed. That's enough for a 3 deep.

When injuries happen, we see kids will slide over to other positions or kick over to the other side of the line so a sub can come in.

We don't need 20 kids. Where are you stealing the numbers from to get to that number then?

We have 16 kids there with the 3 that we just signed. That's enough for a 3 deep.

When injuries happen, we see kids will slide over to other positions or kick over to the other side of the line so a sub can come in.

We don't need 20 kids. Where are you stealing the numbers from to get to that number then?
15 scholarship. 5 walkons for the scout team.

DL - 6
RB - 4
DB - 4
LB - 4
WR - 3
OL - 3
TE - 2

FL - 9
OH - 5
IN - 3
TX - 2
AL - 2
AR - 1
CA - 1
LA - 1
NC - 1
NJ - 1

surprisingly, none from georgia

We need 4-5 OL every recruiting cycle. 1 or 2 wont work out or will transfer.

No.

We only lost Jones and Powell this year. We replaced them with 3 kids so we're +1 from last year.

We should never just pick a arbitrary number for a position and recruit to that number. That's how you short yourself at other positions.

Matthew Bedford
Nick Marozas
Aidan Rafferty
Zach Carpenter
Michael Katic
Tim Weaver
Kahlil Benson
Brady Feeney
Randy Holtz
Cam Knight
Luke Wiginton
Vinny Fiacable
Joshua Sales
Bray Lynch
DJ Moore
Carter Smith

That's 16
My number of 15 scholarships is an ideal number. 1 more lineman on scholarship is not going to be a big deal.

Reactions: vesuvius13
Your math is way off if you think we need 4-5 every cycle and we need to keep 15 on the roster scholarship wise.
I think the point was more that half of your lineman aren't going to work out in a developmental program so you need to recruit accordingly. I think now that there is no penalty for leaving we'll see a big bump at OL and DL recruiting outside of the top 25 programs every year.

Your math is way off if you think we need 4-5 every cycle and we need to keep 15 on the roster scholarship wise.
My math is fine. I did say 1-2 will not work out or will transfer.

We sign 4-5 and 1-2 don't work out gives you 3-4 viable OL players. Over four years that comes out to 12-16 viable players.

Also this gives you the ability to have 5 upperclassmen starters that have developed and played together for years.

I think the point was more that half of your lineman aren't going to work out in a developmental program so you need to recruit accordingly. I think now that there is no penalty for leaving we'll see a big bump at OL and DL recruiting outside of the top 25 programs every year.

Although, OL seems to be where IU has had its best retention. Over the last several years, IU has only had 2 OL transfer out - Cronk and Beery who originally came to IU as a DL.

My math is fine. I did say 1-2 will not work out or will transfer.

We sign 4-5 and 1-2 don't work out gives you 3-4 viable OL players. Over four years that comes out to 12-16 viable players.

Also this gives you the ability to have 5 upperclassmen starters that have developed and played together for years.

Freshman coming in generally redshirt. Over the last five (going off memory) I can only think of Cronk and Bedford who played as true freshman. So you bring in 4-5, those kids are redshirting. Then the prior class, those 4-5 are are now redshirt freshman. One transfers out, that's four. Then the class prior to that, one of those transfers out, that's another four, and we're already up to 12 and we're only up to the sophomores.

See where I'm going with this?

DL - 6
RB - 4
DB - 4
LB - 4
WR - 3
OL - 3
TE - 2

FL - 9
OH - 5
IN - 3
TX - 2
AL - 2
AR - 1
CA - 1
LA - 1
NC - 1
NJ - 1

After letting the dust settle on this break-thru recruiting class, what's stands out is only one recruit decommitted after a disastrous 2-10 season. This not only says a lot about Tom Allen & his coaches but this class was held together by the bonding of Dasan McCullough, James Monds, & the first commit of the 22 class, Keiden Turner. Hats off to all. LEO

Freshman coming in generally redshirt. Over the last five (going off memory) I can only think of Cronk and Bedford who played as true freshman. So you bring in 4-5, those kids are redshirting. Then the prior class, those 4-5 are are now redshirt freshman. One transfers out, that's four. Then the class prior to that, one of those transfers out, that's another four, and we're already up to 12 and we're only up to the sophomores.

See where I'm going with this?
Ok you win.

Obviously what you have on your current roster will dictate what you recruit, but let's not act like it's an absolute that is set in stone. If you are already 'full' at a position but you get a 5 star guy who wants to come are you going to say, sorry we already have 15? Also a scholarship, for better or for worse, is not set in stone either. It can be lost for poor performance. Clearly you address needs in the offseason but I think the best programs get the best players they can get even if it throws the precious numbers off a little bit. So maybe I'm not the one who didn't think it all the way through after all? I swear some of y'all.

Obviously what you have on your current roster will dictate what you recruit, but let's not act like it's an absolute that is set in stone. If you are already 'full' at a position but you get a 5 star guy who wants to come are you going to say, sorry we already have 15? Also a scholarship, for better or for worse, is not set in stone either. It can be lost for poor performance. Clearly you address needs in the offseason but I think the best programs get the best players they can get even if it throws the precious numbers off a little bit. So maybe I'm not the one who didn't think it all the way through after all? I swear some of y'all.
IU actually has an “athlete bill of rights” or something that gaurantees a four year scholarship regardless of performance. So it’s pretty set in stone here compared to most other programs in the country.

IU actually has an “athlete bill of rights” or something that gaurantees a four year scholarship regardless of performance. So it’s pretty set in stone here compared to most other programs in the country.
Even so people still leave and get hurt and the point of the post still stands. The current roster isn't the absolute some of y'all are making it out to be.

I assume most OL redshirt. 3 x 5 = 15 so seems a bit light. 4 on avg. seems more logical.

15 is probably the sweet spot, but my argument is to never recruit a set number.

This year, we took 3. Last year, we took 2 and Carpenter. The year before, we took 7 high school kids and I believe Powell was in that class. There should never be a set number because it will always be moving is all I was arguing.

In the pressor CTA said they wanted two more QBs. One transfer and one high school.
Who is still out there?
What does our QB depth chart look like now?
Tuttle, McCulley, and Dexter Williams are on schollie. Gremel is a walk on they obviously feel comfortable enough to let play if circumstances dictate.

Of the scholarship guys, only Tuttle is an upperclassman. So a freshman and an older transfer makes a lot of sense.

There are 22 listed OL on 2021 roster according to the official IU site. It would make sense if several of those are walk-ons as it does not make sense for 1/4 of scholarships to be in one position group.
Remember in 2021 rosters/scholarship players were expanded to 105 for players returning after the COVID year, next fall you have to be back down to 85.

The team rankings page says we have a 21 player class. Our commitment list only has 20 players on it (19 signed and 1 verbal).

Just a typo on the team rankings page or do we have a silent commit? lol

In the pressor CTA said they wanted two more QBs. One transfer and one high school.
Who is still out there?
What does our QB depth chart look like now?
It’s thin. Someone will be/come available but we don’t know how solid the staff is on DM as a starter and transfers like to go somewhere that offers a clear path to starting.

So they can bring in someone to start and risk losing DM (and maybe also upset some good Indiana HS FB folk), or bring in someone to compete and add depth and that would likely limit our selection.

From my armchair, it seems like bringing in a very good grad transfer or 5th year sr. to start for one year only is the best way to try to manage the situation (like PR at Northwestern) . I would hate to lose DM, especially after burning his redshirt, but I’m not sure you bet the farm on him as your surefire starter next year either. It would be great to keep DM and keep developing him another year and have a home grown kid leading the team.

It’s hard to stockpile QBs even the top teams deal with it, and the new rules will only make it harder.

It’s thin. Someone will be/come available but we don’t know how solid the staff is on DM as a starter and transfers like to go somewhere that offers a clear path to starting.

So they can bring in someone to start and risk losing DM (and maybe also upset some good Indiana HS FB folk), or bring in someone to compete and add depth and that would likely limit our selection.

From my armchair, it seems like bringing in a very good grad transfer or 5th year sr. to start for one year only is the best way to try to manage the situation (like PR at Northwestern) . I would hate to lose DM, especially after burning his redshirt, but I’m not sure you bet the farm on him as your surefire starter next year either. It would be great to keep DM and keep developing him another year and have a home grown kid leading the team.

It’s hard to stockpile QBs even the top teams deal with it, and the new rules will only make it harder.

If you get a 1 year starter transfer, then technically DM could just use his redshirt this coming season (barring every QB getting injured again).

If you get a 1 year starter transfer, then technically DM could just use his redshirt this coming season (barring every QB getting injured again).
A little unorthodox, but seems ideal from a planning perspective.

Considering the style of offense I've seen Bell put on the field, I wouldn't be surprised if DM excelled in it and earns the starting job outright this season. I'm equally excited to see what Dexter brings to the table. I remember when Tuttle got hurt at Wisconsin last year and Dexter started warming up before Jack made his dramatic return. He didn't look fazed at all. I would've been peeing my pants.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT