ADVERTISEMENT

Is there not a single JUCO that can shoot from outside.........

Bippy

Junior
Jan 20, 2002
Until we have someone who can consistently hit a 3, like every other school in the NCAA, we're the easiest team to defend.
Are we so unappealing of a program that we can't even get a JUCO?

Until we have someone who can consistently hit a 3, like every other school in the NCAA, we're the easiest team to defend.

Our coach doesn’t believe in 3 pt shooting. It goes against everything he believes in.

Reactions: dbmhoosier
If not a JUCO,there are grad student transfers every year who can play immediately.
He never seems to go after them either but he better take a good long look at the end of the year.

Reactions: birdforbogey
A consistent criticism of mine about Archie: he should have signed a 5th year player that was a knockdown shooter. I was told 1) we didn't need it: our guards were so imposing that no one would dare to believe they could get minutes on this roster, and 2) there weren't any available with that skillset. Our bad shooting was easy to anticipate after last year, and it's easy to anticipate for next year. I don't believe the commits we have, are going to cure it. We need a PG and a shooter, badly. All the better if it's the same guy.

It’s just one of those stupid things that our most stupid posters like to say. He’s on the list.

he was trying to be funny. Here is something not funny. Our coach is absolutely horrible at recognizing and developing good shooting in recruits and players. Every year he has coached at IU he has been ranked 300+ in shooting. You might not be able to find one single power 5 team to have done that other than him. Rutgers might be close. Other than this year, Rutgers isn’t someone you want to be in the same Sentence with.

Question do good shooters make a good offense or does a good offense create good shooters???? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

he was trying to be funny. Here is something not funny. Our coach is absolutely horrible at recognizing and developing good shooting in recruits and players. Every year he has coached at IU he has been ranked 300+ in shooting. You might not be able to find one single power 5 team to have done that other than him. Rutgers might be close. Other than this year, Rutgers isn’t someone you want to be in the same Sentence with.

I'm tired of IU losing to Rutgers. There, that's the same sentence, but you're right, it's not something I wanted.

to expand on my previous post, worst shooting was meant to be 3 point shooting. They were ranked +300 in 3 point percentage all three years.

FT shooting was ranked 331 and 328 his first two years. This year we are 222, but don’t worry we are trending to get to 300 by early February.

literally the worst shooting team in power 5 in the three year span under Archie. In ****ing Indiana. Puke

A consistent criticism of mine about Archie: he should have signed a 5th year player that was a knockdown shooter. I was told 1) we didn't need it: our guards were so imposing that no one would dare to believe they could get minutes on this roster, and 2) there weren't any available with that skillset. Our bad shooting was easy to anticipate after last year, and it's easy to anticipate for next year. I don't believe the commits we have, are going to cure it. We need a PG and a shooter, badly. All the better if it's the same guy.
Maybe he tried to get one, but they didn't want to come here.

You have a high opinion of juco players. You think they believe they are too good to come to IU?

I have said it before as a quote from my cousin that played and then coached at two good juco schools. Players are in juco for a reason.

VU has a nice player, Kevin Osawe. He might work his way into the rotation at the 3 with enough time. Juco players with a redshirt year can make a contribution over 3 years. It is rare to see a juco player contribute right away at a P5 D1 school.

An example of how a juco player can help. My dad befriended a lonely 7'-2" player from the Dominican Republic that played at VU. His career at VU was mostly being a shot blocker and learning how to play the game. He might have averaged more fouls than ppg. His coach Todd Franklin told my dad that Romaro Gill would play in the NBA. We thought he was crazy.

Dad drove Ro to Indy to catch a plane for a recruiting trip to Seton Hall. He signed with SH. He redshirted his first year and contributed a little last year. He started this year mostly as a shot blocker, but has started scoring including 17 points this week at Butler in SH's win. He will get an offer somewhere as a free agent with an opportunity to make a team assuming he isn't drafted.

If you are prepared to spend 3 years to get one year out of a player, juco might be an option. There are players that contribute sooner, but there are players that never will. I prefer taking a 3 star player unless you can get one of the top juco prospects.

You have a high opinion of juco players. You think they believe they are too good to come to IU?

I have said it before as a quote from my cousin that played and then coached at two good juco schools. Players are in juco for a reason.

VU has a nice player, Kevin Osawe. He might work his way into the rotation at the 3 with enough time. Juco players with a redshirt year can make a contribution over 3 years. It is rare to see a juco player contribute right away at a P5 D1 school.

An example of how a juco player can help. My dad befriended a lonely 7'-2" player from the Dominican Republic that played at VU. His career at VU was mostly being a shot blocker and learning how to play the game. He might have averaged more fouls than ppg. His coach Todd Franklin told my dad that Romaro Gill would play in the NBA. We thought he was crazy.

Dad drove Ro to Indy to catch a plane for a recruiting trip to Seton Hall. He signed with SH. He redshirted his first year and contributed a little last year. He started this year mostly as a shot blocker, but has started scoring including 17 points this week at Butler in SH's win. He will get an offer somewhere as a free agent with an opportunity to make a team assuming he isn't drafted.

If you are prepared to spend 3 years to get one year out of a player, juco might be an option. There are players that contribute sooner, but there are players that never will. I prefer taking a 3 star player unless you can get one of the top juco prospects.
Dean Garrett and Keith Smart are probably the two best JUCO players that IU ever signed. Without them there is likely no ‘87 championship.

I would really like to know if he looked at any potential grad transfer shooting prospects, especially in the 6'5"-6'7" height range, and, if no, why not. I do not remember any report that he did.

No one from the media that covers the team has the gonads to ask him those questions. There probably would not have been a straight answer, but it should have been asked by now. The guy is making a lot of $ in charge of a high profile program is treated with kid gloves.

Reactions: minneman
I'm tired of IU losing to Rutgers. There, that's the same sentence, but you're right, it's not something I wanted.

Not only losing, but also getting postered in the process, with a few "Who's Your Daddy" chants thrown in. Delightful.

to expand on my previous post, worst shooting was meant to be 3 point shooting. They were ranked +300 in 3 point percentage all three years.

FT shooting was ranked 331 and 328 his first two years. This year we are 222, but don’t worry we are trending to get to 300 by early February.

literally the worst shooting team in power 5 in the three year span under Archie. In ****ing Indiana. Puke

Those are amazing and depressing stats.

If not a JUCO,there are grad student transfers every year who can play immediately.
He never seems to go after them either but he better take a good long look at the end of the year.
We have had a grad transfer each of the last two years. So never might be a bit of a stretch. Brunk is obviously not a shooter but filled another important need. The one the prior year was alleged to be a shooter but that didn't work out. Bottom line is I expect he would have liked to add a shooter for this year but it didn't work out. We have no idea who they might have approached and found no interest on their part. If it was only as easy as all of us message board John Woodens think it is.

Reactions: Aloha Hoosier
I would really like to know if he looked at any potential grad transfer shooting prospects, especially in the 6'5"-6'7" height range, and, if no, why not. I do not remember any report that he did.

No one from the media that covers the team has the gonads to ask him those questions. There probably would not have been a straight answer, but it should have been asked by now. The guy is making a lot of $ in charge of a high profile program is treated with kid gloves.
The current Indiana job is about as far away from being treated with kid gloves as is possible.

Dean Garrett and Keith Smart are probably the two best JUCO players that IU ever signed. Without them there is likely no ‘87 championship.
There were a lot of juco players that could play in the past. I believe more of the players that were in juco because they didn't qualify academically are now finding ways to address that and go straight into D1. Now you are seeing those undersized for their position or not skilled enough in an area going to juco.

It was rare to have two players be able to contribute like they did. You see a lot of juco transfers in the low and mid major programs. D2 is a natural landing spot as well. Garrett came in ready to play and I always thought Oladipo was a lot like Smart in someone that was very athletic and learned how to shoot and play in control after a couple of years out of high school.

There were a lot of juco players that could play in the past. I believe more of the players that were in juco because they didn't qualify academically are now finding ways to address that and go straight into D1. Now you are seeing those undersized for their position or not skilled enough in an area going to juco.

It was rare to have two players be able to contribute like they did. You see a lot of juco transfers in the low and mid major programs. D2 is a natural landing spot as well. Garrett came in ready to play and I always thought Oladipo was a lot like Smart in someone that was very athletic and learned how to shoot and play in control after a couple of years out of high school.
It seems like IU has been harder to get into than some other schools. This would disqualify some of the JUCOs. Are you saying Oladipo was a JUCO? I think he was a freshman at IU. Perhaps you are just comparing players.

Our coach doesn’t believe in 3 pt shooting. It goes against everything he believes in.

Actually, if they keep extending the college line, I'd not have a problem with 3 point avoidance. Go back to motion, midrange, and easy buckets. It's always been too easy, shit, I can still drill them consistently on my knees or dancing off one foot as a 47 year old smoker

Reactions: MrBing

I don't know about grad transfer shooters, but he tried like hell with Lester Q. who signed with Memphis late.

Reactions: kkott
We have had a grad transfer each of the last two years. So never might be a bit of a stretch. Brunk is obviously not a shooter but filled another important need. The one the prior year was alleged to be a shooter but that didn't work out. Bottom line is I expect he would have liked to add a shooter for this year but it didn't work out. We have no idea who they might have approached and found no interest on their part. If it was only as easy as all of us message board John Woodens think it is.

"We have no idea who they might have approached" is the reason why the question should have been asked by now. The worst that would have happened is a no-answer answer.

I wonder if he'd be able to answer more than something like, "Yes, we looked a some and offered a few some of them but obviously didn't land any."
Are coaches able to talk about their recruitment of transfers or are they under the same restrictions as for high schoolers? I'm guessing it's the latter so the best we could hope for is a generic answer of yes or no with no details.

The current Indiana job is about as far away from being treated with kid gloves as is possible.

The media treats him with kid gloves. Have you ever heard one difficult question at a press conference?

And I think the fans have been pretty generous under the circumstances.

Who do you suggest has made it difficult for him?

Maybe he tried to get one, but they didn't want to come here.

He's paid 3.5 million, swing and misses still count. I am a salesman, or was once upon a time... coffee is for closers! You do your job or you don't have one!

I wonder if he'd be able to answer more than something like, "Yes, we looked a some and offered a few some of them but obviously didn't land any."
Are coaches able to talk about their recruitment of transfers or are they under the same restrictions as for high schoolers? I'm guessing it's the latter so the best we could hope for is a generic answer of yes or no with no details.

I wouldn't expect any specifics....I'm talking about the transfer market as a whole.....I just have the sense they didn't look closely at anyone......there has been no report or indication otherwise

Another poster mentioned Lester Q.....he would have been a game changer. 6'5" 220 lbs ,playing 25M/game, avg. 11 points, 3 rebounds, 2 assists per game, shooting 38% on 3s, 81% on FTs.

Reactions: kkott
Yes, lets use a 2 year scholarship with one of the top in state recruiting classes ever coming in 2021. Makes tons of sense... We've added a grad transfer every class we have had an open scholorship. Would you argue Archie's recruits or Crean's recruits have been the bigger disappointments on the roster? Enough said...

Reactions: MrBing
Yes, lets use a 2 year scholarship with one of the top in state recruiting classes ever coming in 2021. Makes tons of sense... We've added a grad transfer every class we have had an open scholorship. Would you argue Archie's recruits or Crean's recruits have been the bigger disappointments on the roster? Enough said...
We are unappealing enough that we don't just have our pick of every available player. Some? Perhaps. Not all.

Its building a bonded team that plays frightening defense with extreme discipline that is needed. Look at the best defensive teams you've seen in the last 2 years - West Virginia, Virginia, Butler, Texas Tech, Baylor. With the exception of the Indianapolis kid who played for Virginia, no naysayer on this board even knows the name of anyone on any of those teams' rosters.

Last edited:
Archie's going to whiff big time on 2021 class then you all will be crying.

What does Archie have to sell to the 2021 class? Come to IU we play great defense, uhhhhh no not really, ok we play great offense, uhhh no not really, ok we win lots of games uhhhh no not really. You do realize Tony Bennett in his 3rd year at UVA had their defense rolling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT