ADVERTISEMENT

Is there not a single JUCO that can shoot from outside.........

Guards need to score
The guards don't need to score. What they do need is the ability to score. This would keep the defenses honest and make them pick their poison: tightly defend the guards to prevent 3s and/or drives or pack the lane to shut down the bigs. The problem is that our guards haven't shown that ability to consistently score if not closely guarded. They miss open 3s and are ineffective at driving.

That's what this team misses since Romeo left. He didn't shoot well from 3, but he could score on drives and create his own shot. Defenses had to concentrate on him. None of the current guards command that respect with the way they're playing.

Yes, it would be better if the guards did score and the whole starting lineup averaged in double figures. But they at least need have the ability to score if the defense doesn't respect them.

Reactions: .Gerdis and T.M.P.
Actually, if they keep extending the college line, I'd not have a problem with 3 point avoidance. Go back to motion, midrange, and easy buckets. It's always been too easy, shit, I can still drill them consistently on my knees or dancing off one foot as a 47 year old smoker
And I would like a tape of this feat

Reactions: ufo33
Archie's going to whiff big time on 2021 class then you all will be crying.

He absolutely will. And it will be the nail in the coffin. The guy was a bad hire. If IU had any sense they would cut ties immediately.

Look at Eric Musselman. Took over a mediocre Arkansas team. In year 1 he has them playing good basketball with a severely undersized team. He also has a top 5 recruiting class already signed. It’s a freaking shame we can’t find even a coach like him.

Reactions: victorbear
The media treats him with kid gloves. Have you ever heard one difficult question at a press conference?

And I think the fans have been pretty generous under the circumstances.

Who do you suggest has made it difficult for him?
Try you and the other hyperventilating fans on this board and other places. We are a very tough fan base and that is tough to deal with. He should have known this when he took the job and probably did. I have not heard him complain about it and hope he never does. By the way sports writers are not known for their tough probing questions not should they be.

Guards need to score
What will Nebraska do to defend us? They can pack the D in the lane and force us to shoot 3s or guard the 3 point line and take a chance our guards still won't be able to complete a post entry pass against a quicker D. Nebraska has a problem. They have too many ways to stop us. My guess is they will pack it in tight in the first half and take away the 3 in the second. By the second half our bigs will be frustrated and our guards will have given up trying to pass inside. Nebraska won't have to double the post. Front the post players and steal the passes coming in.

The guards don't need to score. What they do need is the ability to score. This would keep the defenses honest and make them pick their poison: tightly defend the guards to prevent 3s and/or drives or pack the lane to shut down the bigs. The problem is that our guards haven't shown that ability to consistently score if not closely guarded. They miss open 3s and are ineffective at driving.

That's what this team misses since Romeo left. He didn't shoot well from 3, but he could score on drives and create his own shot. Defenses had to concentrate on him. None of the current guards command that respect with the way they're playing.

Yes, it would be better if the guards did score and the whole starting lineup averaged in double figures. But they at least need have the ability to score if the defense doesn't respect them.
So since Day 1 Archie has seen Durham, Green
Try you and the other hyperventilating fans on this board and other places. We are a very tough fan base and that is tough to deal with. He should have known this when he took the job and probably did. I have not heard him complain about it and hope he never does. By the way sports writers are not known for their tough probing questions not should they be.
Right heres a question...….."ARchie is there anything YOU could do differently from an offensive perspective to improve the shooting" None of those clowns would dare ask that

What will Nebraska do to defend us? They can pack the D in the lane and force us to shoot 3s or guard the 3 point line and take a chance our guards still won't be able to complete a post entry pass against a quicker D. Nebraska has a problem. They have too many ways to stop us. My guess is they will pack it in tight in the first half and take away the 3 in the second. By the second half our bigs will be frustrated and our guards will have given up trying to pass inside. Nebraska won't have to double the post. Front the post players and steal the passes coming in.
Right now who do you have more confidence in, a coach from a mid major or a coach that coached in the Big 12 and the NBA...……..Hoiberg will coach circles around Lil Archie

He absolutely will. And it will be the nail in the coffin. The guy was a bad hire. If IU had any sense they would cut ties immediately.

Look at Eric Musselman. Took over a mediocre Arkansas team. In year 1 he has them playing good basketball with a severely undersized team. He also has a top 5 recruiting class already signed. It’s a freaking shame we can’t find even a coach like him.
We are going to screw ourselves like what happened with the Oden/Conley class that left the state and its gonna make us sick.

Actually, if they keep extending the college line, I'd not have a problem with 3 point avoidance. Go back to motion, midrange, and easy buckets. It's always been too easy, shit, I can still drill them consistently on my knees or dancing off one foot as a 47 year old smoker

LOL best post of the day.

Like Carolina did with the two they signed? Yea, that worked out well .

How'd Cam Johnson work out for them? Even if those guys aren't perfect, I guarantee they are doing more in games and practice than our 2 empty schollies, and they are happy to have them with their injury situation. You think they'd be better of with 2 open spots on their roster, and all their injury games missed? I'm not sure why you are so invested in our guards, but it's a weakness, and it was a foreseeable one, that I think an experienced coach in his 3rd year here should have seen and taken some step to correct. You're OK with our guard play and situation?

You have a high opinion of juco players. You think they believe they are too good to come to IU?

I have said it before as a quote from my cousin that played and then coached at two good juco schools. Players are in juco for a reason.

VU has a nice player, Kevin Osawe. He might work his way into the rotation at the 3 with enough time. Juco players with a redshirt year can make a contribution over 3 years. It is rare to see a juco player contribute right away at a P5 D1 school.

An example of how a juco player can help. My dad befriended a lonely 7'-2" player from the Dominican Republic that played at VU. His career at VU was mostly being a shot blocker and learning how to play the game. He might have averaged more fouls than ppg. His coach Todd Franklin told my dad that Romaro Gill would play in the NBA. We thought he was crazy.

Dad drove Ro to Indy to catch a plane for a recruiting trip to Seton Hall. He signed with SH. He redshirted his first year and contributed a little last year. He started this year mostly as a shot blocker, but has started scoring including 17 points this week at Butler in SH's win. He will get an offer somewhere as a free agent with an opportunity to make a team assuming he isn't drafted.

If you are prepared to spend 3 years to get one year out of a player, juco might be an option. There are players that contribute sooner, but there are players that never will. I prefer taking a 3 star player unless you can get one of the top juco prospects.

Ever hear of Keith Smart or Dean Garrett? They sure made a difference at IU. Need more? (sorry but some are even Community College). Sure many may be a bust, but there is some talent that matures are 19 or 20, instead of in High School. I know Fitzner was a bust, but we have a team that just can shoot

Nate “Tiny” Archibald (Arizona Western CC)
Mookie Blaylock (Midland College)
Sam Cassell (San Jacinto)
Artis Gilmore (Gardner Webb JC)
Ricky Green (Vincennes) he gave us fits at Mighigan
Spencer Haywood (Trinidad State)
Lionel Hollins (Dixie State JC)
Dennis Johnson (LA Harbor)
John Johnson (Northwest College WY)
Larry Johnson (Odessa JC)
Larry Kenon (Amarillo JC)
Shawn Marion (Vincennes)
Bob McAdoo (Vincennes)
Ricky Pierce (Walla Walla CC)
Mitch Richmond (Moberly Area CC)
Alvin Robertson (Crowder JC)
Dennis Rodman (Cooke County JC)
Bob Rule (Riverside CC)
Latrell Sprewell (Three Rivers CC)
John Starks (Northern Oklahoma CC/Tulsa JC)
Nick Van Exel (Trinity Valley CC)
Ben Wallace (Cuyahoga CC)
Sidney Wicks (Santa Monica CC)

You have a high opinion of juco players. You think they believe they are too good to come to IU?

I have said it before as a quote from my cousin that played and then coached at two good juco schools. Players are in juco for a reason.

VU has a nice player, Kevin Osawe. He might work his way into the rotation at the 3 with enough time. Juco players with a redshirt year can make a contribution over 3 years. It is rare to see a juco player contribute right away at a P5 D1 school.

An example of how a juco player can help. My dad befriended a lonely 7'-2" player from the Dominican Republic that played at VU. His career at VU was mostly being a shot blocker and learning how to play the game. He might have averaged more fouls than ppg. His coach Todd Franklin told my dad that Romaro Gill would play in the NBA. We thought he was crazy.

Dad drove Ro to Indy to catch a plane for a recruiting trip to Seton Hall. He signed with SH. He redshirted his first year and contributed a little last year. He started this year mostly as a shot blocker, but has started scoring including 17 points this week at Butler in SH's win. He will get an offer somewhere as a free agent with an opportunity to make a team assuming he isn't drafted.

If you are prepared to spend 3 years to get one year out of a player, juco might be an option. There are players that contribute sooner, but there are players that never will. I prefer taking a 3 star player unless you can get one of the top juco prospects.

Ever hear of Keith Smart or Dean Garrett? They sure made a difference at IU. Need more? (sorry but some are even Community College). Sure many may be a bust, but there is some talent that matures are 19 or 20, instead of in High School. I know Fitzner was a bust, but we have a team that just can shoot

Spencer Haywood
(Trinidad State)
Shawn Marion (Vincennes)
Bob McAdoo (Vincennes)
Bob Rule (Riverside CC)
Notice how long ago those guys played

Spencer Haywood
(Trinidad State)
Shawn Marion (Vincennes)
Bob McAdoo (Vincennes)
Bob Rule (Riverside CC)

Spencer Haywood
(Trinidad State)
Shawn Marion (Vincennes)
Bob McAdoo (Vincennes)
Bob Rule (Riverside CC)
I said there are exceptions. I saw McAdoo, Ricky Green, and some of the others play in the old Beless gym in the 70's. Coach Dan Sparks played at VU before playing in the NBA. Going back 50 years like you have, there have been great players come from juco. There are a few per year that can be very good. I wouldn't want to depend on good juco players being available. It is better to recruit and/or develop talent so you don't need to rely on finding Bob McAdoo hanging out in Vincennes.

BTW you left off Carl Landry and Eric Williams from VU. Bonzi Wells son is currently at VU. Head case that almost got kicked off the team this year. I hope he goes to purdue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT