ADVERTISEMENT

Is our interest in Reneau and Brome any sort of sign...

IUNorth

Hall of Famer
Oct 25, 2002
Reneau is somewhat different because he's an incoming freshman...but neither of these guys will be "necessary" if both TJD and Race are coming back.

Does the fact that we're hard after both of them mean anything, I wonder? Does Reneau even make a visit if he knows both TJD and Race will be back?

Brome doesn't make sense to me unless both TJD and Race are gone. Reneau I'd probably take because he's a freshman, probably regardless of what TJD and Race do. But its incredibly unlikely these days that a 5 star big would commit to a place that has two bigs Race and TJDs caliber returning. If he happens to visit, and/or commit before those guys decisions, I put the odds at zero they'll both be back.

Reneau is somewhat different because he's an incoming freshman...but neither of these guys will be "necessary" if both TJD and Race are coming back.

Does the fact that we're hard after both of them mean anything, I wonder? Does Reneau even make a visit if he knows both TJD and Race will be back?

Brome doesn't make sense to me unless both TJD and Race are gone. Reneau I'd probably take because he's a freshman, probably regardless of what TJD and Race do. But its incredibly unlikely these days that a 5 star big would commit to a place that has two bigs Race and TJDs caliber returning. If he happens to visit, and/or commit before those guys decisions, I put the odds at zero they'll both be back.
IMO, they are only showing interest in Broome in case both TJD and Race are gone.

Reneau is a take regardless of who is on the roster. Better to move on from Race than lose out on Reneau.

Some of you still haven’t figured out how big dogs recruit. Get the best players all day every day regardless if TJD comes back
Yep. TJD and Race are not the future of the program. A guy like Reneau would be should he choose to come here.

Purdue got a couple even with Edey,Williams,Gillis there so I do not see that as a problem. UK has multiple 4-5 stars at multiple front court positions and continue to get the. So that doesn't hold water.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
I doubt TJD will be forced out by any means, at least not this year, but Race is not the future of the program and it seems he knows that given his participation in the senior day festivities. I like Race a lot, and appreciate the dedication he's given Indiana over the years but there's a pretty low ceiling for any team in modern college basketball when two of your three best players are big men who can't shoot.

I doubt TJD will be forced out by any means, at least not this year, but Race is not the future of the program and it seems he knows that given his participation in the senior day festivities. I like Race a lot, and appreciate the dedication he's given Indiana over the years but there's a pretty low ceiling for any team in modern college basketball when two of your three best players are big men who can't shoot.
TJD just wants to be assured he’ll be drafted. If he has that assurance, he’s gone. Even Woody has said he’s now ready for the NBA, so it’s time.

Reactions: jlasson
TJD just wants to be assured he’ll be drafted. If he has that assurance, he’s gone. Even Woody has said he’s now ready for the NBA, so it’s time.

I know Woodson said that to a reporter when directly asked if TJD was ready, but in reality, how could Woodson say anything but "yes" in that situation. Think about it, it's March right before the B1G Tournament, and he doesn't know whether TJD is staying/leaving. If he PUBLICLY said "no" or refused to answer the question, how would that impact TJD's mind and/or the coach/player relationship? Also, how would PUBLICLY answering "no" reflect on Woodson, and specifically his promise to improve TJD's game?

Truth is, and we all know it, TJD hasn't improved much from last year. The change in defensive scheme helped his block numbers, but aside from that, he still has gaping holes to fix. TJD is fortunate that the biggest holes in his game can be fixed with practice/reps. Woody and TJD both know this.

I think the reason Race participated in Sr day is that he’s deciding whether to return for another year or be done with basketball and wanted a goodbye just in case - feel like transferring isn’t something he’s considering in the slightest. I think the seniors that didn’t participate had the full intention of playing another year of college ball, whether that be at IU or another school.

I think that the primary driver of possibly returning is the chance to play another year with TJD since they are really close friends

I think the reason Race participated in Sr day is that he’s deciding whether to return for another year or be done with basketball and wanted a goodbye just in case - feel like transferring isn’t something he’s considering in the slightest. I think the seniors that didn’t participate had the full intention of playing another year of college ball, whether that be at IU or another school.

I think that the primary driver of possibly returning is the chance to play another year with TJD since they are really close friends
Either way it seem like we are going to be waiting awhile. Doesn't TJD have like another month to declare for the NBA and than another few weeks to withdraw.

Either way it seem like we are going to be waiting awhile. Doesn't TJD have like another month to declare for the NBA and than another few weeks to withdraw.
That’s the deadline, but if TJD gets the feedback he needs to make a decision it could be sooner. I’m sure that Woodson is working to expedite that feedback

Reactions: jlasson
I know Woodson said that to a reporter when directly asked if TJD was ready, but in reality, how could Woodson say anything but "yes" in that situation. Think about it, it's March right before the B1G Tournament, and he doesn't know whether TJD is staying/leaving. If he PUBLICLY said "no" or refused to answer the question, how would that impact TJD's mind and/or the coach/player relationship? Also, how would PUBLICLY answering "no" reflect on Woodson, and specifically his promise to improve TJD's game?

Truth is, and we all know it, TJD hasn't improved much from last year. The change in defensive scheme helped his block numbers, but aside from that, he still has gaping holes to fix. TJD is fortunate that the biggest holes in his game can be fixed with practice/reps. Woody and TJD both know this.
Mike‘s a very plain spoken guy. He says what he means and means what he says, and I would be really surprised if he wasn’t being fully truthful when he gave his answer. I don’t think that means he wouldn’t welcome him back or that he doesn’t feel further improvement is possible, but I take him at his word on this one.

Mike‘s a very plain spoken guy. He says what he means and means what he says, and I would be really surprised if he wasn’t being fully truthful when he gave his answer. I don’t think that means he wouldn’t welcome him back or that he doesn’t feel further improvement is possible, but I take him at his word on this one.

I agree, Woodson is very plain spoken. But IMO, Woodson's strongest attribute is his love for his players and his desire to protect them.

Reactions: Sassy61 and YOTHN
I agree, Woodson is very plain spoken. But IMO, Woodson's strongest attribute is his love for his players and his desire to protect them.
Agree, and I’m convinced he wants what is best for each of them.

This was discussed back when it happened, and you are correct; this was what Mike would say regardless of whether he though TJD would get drafted or not.

That said, I do believe that TJD is as ready for whatever his ceiling is in professional ball as he is going to get so (potentially) coming back is more about his love for the game, IU, Woody, and whatever he perceives as unfinished business.

TJD will get a lot of useful advice over the next several weeks including from Mike.

Really! He doesn’t even have a mid range shot and shoots 60% from the free throw line. I guess that makes him NBA ready.
Whether it is NBA, GLeague or overseas; those things will be a focus of coaches with a lot more time available to them to focus 1:1.

Really! He doesn’t even have a mid range shot and shoots 60% from the free throw line. I guess that makes him NBA ready.
Go research every player not being picked in the top 10. They all have glaring weaknesses that make them a risk. If you watch NBA games, there are number of long athletic 6’9” to 7’0” guys who were picked for defense, rebounding, and athletic ability. And have the potential to develop. TJD has + length, footwork, hands, speed, and agility. And scouts see from his free throws that he has good form and rotation with potential to improve range. The idea that everyone in the NBA is has a fully developed game is ridiculous.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Go research every player not being picked in the top 10. They all have glaring weaknesses that make them a risk. If you watch NBA games, there are number of long athletic 6’9” to 7’0” guys who were picked for defense, rebounding, and athletic ability. And have the potential to develop. TJD has + length, footwork, hands, speed, and agility. And scouts see from his free throws that he has good form and rotation with potential to improve range. The idea that everyone in the NBA is has a fully developed game is ridiculous.
I think your assessment is an accurate one and the most likely reason he declares for the draft. He’s ready, even if he’s not fully ready.

Last edited:
Reactions: IUbball_lifer
Don't recall OG having a good shot outside of 5 feet, yet was drafted and is still in the league. Was drafted for defense and rebounding and only this year has shown to be a scoring threat and devolped a 3pt shot. They draft on potential and hope he can develop a shot over time

Don't recall OG having a good shot outside of 5 feet, yet was drafted and is still in the league. Was drafted for defense and rebounding and only this year has shown to be a scoring threat and devolped a 3pt shot. They draft on potential and hope he can develop a shot over time
you're kidding about he just now developed a 3P shot right? Have you watched OG in the pros?

you're kidding about he just now developed a 3P shot right? Have you watched OG in the pros?
Yep, he was never a volume shooter (maybe 3 attempts per game) but he’s only shot below 37% 2 seasons between IU and the NBA

He didn’t take a lot of threes at IU but he was a very fluid athlete who showed some pretty eye-catching athletic ability, suggesting improvement at various parts of his game could come. Not sure anyone thought he’d become the player he has, though.

Last edited:
If IU can replace 2 bigs that can actually see the floor and be productive rather than Durr and Duncomb who can barely sniff any minutes, im all for it!

Reactions: bailey777
Yep, he was never a volume shooter (maybe 3 attempts per game) but he’s only shot below 37% 2 seasons between IU and the NBA
OG was a tragic figure in college as injuries severely limited his play and effectiveness. We all knew he was a difference making stud that would be a solid NBA player. My comments back then were that he reminded me of Robbie Hummel in what "could have been at IU"

Thrilled to see that he has been able to play the way we knew he could.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Talent that is unwilling or not equipped to sit for year (maybe two) while playing against (at practice) and behind an equally talent, but more experienced player or even a slightly less talented but more experienced player, is not talent you really want that much or want to recruit that often. You cannot build a sustainable program that way. Occasionally you will get lucky and it will work but most often it implodes or creates a lot of ups and downs and players transfer out or go too early to the pros. I don't want to be Kentucky. I just do not think it would be a fun program to root for or be a fan of the way it is run.

Race isn't that good. That's what this means.

Race would be using a COVID year and as such is not gauranteed a scholarship. I hope he stays and I assume would be offered one but the COVID guys are in a different boat scholarship wise than the underclassmen.

The COVID rule only gaurantees the eligibility it does not obligate the schools to extend scholarships.

Freshman are not normally very good fyi. Since Bates is an NBA lock according to Cav, I see no reason why Duncomb can’t still be a really good college player.
Bates was supposed to be one and done correct?

Reactions: Lucy01
OG was a tragic figure in college as injuries severely limited his play and effectiveness. We all knew he was a difference making stud that would be a solid NBA player. My comments back then were that he reminded me of Robbie Hummel in what "could have been at IU"

Thrilled to see that he has been able to play the way we knew he could.
OG was a physical specimen and defense guy coming out of high school. His offense came decently quick. He could’ve probably guarded 4-5 spots starting day one. Very unique person too. I’d take 5 guys on the floor just like him.

If IU can replace 2 bigs that can actually see the floor and be productive rather than Durr and Duncomb who can barely sniff any minutes, im all for it!
If Duncomb was leaving it would have already happened. I'm intrigued to see him next year. He missed his big chance in the pre-con with a 3-game DNP-coach's decision. Once the conference started, he was buried pretty deep in the rotation.

He didn’t take a lot of threes at IU but he was a very fluid athlete who showed some pretty eye-catching athletic ability, suggesting improvement at various parts of his game could come. Not sure anyone thought he’d become the player he has, though.
In the UK win in the 2016 tourney OG as a freshman looked like the best player on the floor. That’s when the NBA noticed and many thought he’d be a future star in the NBA. When he came in as a sophomore he was a preseason all-American, but had injury problems that year.

If Woody said that, I missed it, it almost seems like he is encouraging him to leave.
Maybe he is just being supportive.

If Duncomb was leaving it would have already happened. I'm intrigued to see him next year. He missed his big chance in the pre-con with a 3-game DNP-coach's decision. Once the conference started, he was buried pretty deep in the rotation.
Two things I wonder about Duncomb.
For as few minutes as he played and wonder the thinking in not a redshirt year.
And second, did he get so few minutes for the same reason as Durr and Lander (not enough ability for this level)? Is that a measure that he will not impact significantly next year?

Two things I wonder about Duncomb.
For as few minutes as he played and wonder the thinking in not a redshirt year.
And second, did he get so few minutes for the same reason as Durr and Lander (not enough ability for this level)? Is that a measure that he will not impact significantly next year?
Apparently a disciplinary suspension early, then he was in a boot for at least a game or two that I saw. Never heard much in the way of details, but that's not surprising. He could have been rehabbing an injury for most of the season. Again just speculation.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT