ADVERTISEMENT

I'm probably making a mistake getting out in front here, but . . .

Same as Ferguson and everywhere else. It starts as outrage and “well- intentioned” then devolves to an excuse to steal and wreck shit among a certain subset. Duh. Some of you are so crippled in PC nonsense you’ve lost reality.
I've lost reality for asking for an explanation?

Your response doesn't adequately parse what JDB said. Perhaps you should let him answer for himself.

I have never praised Iran in the sense you describe. There are horrendous human rights abuses in that nation. My critique is that our ME policy has done us no favors. There is only one nation who committed 9/11 and murdered soldiers on our base. It wasn't Iran.

China is protecting the sovereignty of their state. Elected American officials are allowing anarchy to take place on our soil. China is in no way, shape, or form perfect. I'm simply critiquing how certain American officials are castigating China's response to chaos, while allowing chaos to fester on American soil.

There's a critical difference in regards to Sovereignty. China is blatantly breaking its promise to keep HK's political and economic systems intact.

And what exactly do you mean by that?

I mean you had a mix of races, ages, backgrounds (white collar, blue collar) all supporting the same thing with protests outside the precinct, city hall, etc.. Now, you are alienating a subset of that group who's property (and potentially health) are endangered and don't find it worth visibly and publicly supporting the cause because another subset wants to just riot and loot.

There's a critical difference in regards to Sovereignty. China is blatantly breaking its promise to keep HK's political and economic systems intact.

We are both outside observers. My perspective from what I observe/read is that China is protecting citizens from anarchy. Violent protests. My understanding is that China implemented necessary measures for national security purposes. I don't profess to be an expert on China/HK.

Meanwhile, what i witness in the United States is completely absent leadership and chaos.

As I pointed out earlier in this thread, in 99% of East Asian cities you can walk anywhere at any time safely. This is a very basic human right. Freedom of movement. This is article 13 of UN human rights. Why is it in a country alleged to be the most democrwtic, we are unable to exercise this right in many locales? Precisely how free and democratic are we actually?

I mean you had a mix of races, ages, backgrounds (white collar, blue collar) all supporting the same thing with protests outside the precinct, city hall, etc.. Now, you are alienating a subset of that group who's property (and potentially health) are endangered and don't find it worth visibly and publicly supporting the cause because another subset wants to just riot and loot.
So which subset are you seeing as the problem? I assume the problematic subset is defined by some combination of race and age, since a diversity in those two categories are what you contrasted it with, but you could be going multiple directions here, so rather than make assumptions about what you mean, I'm asking you to be explicit.

By other black people? Aren't like 95% of black murders committed by other black people or around that? Aren't I as a white man many, many more times likely to be murdered by a black person than a black person is to be murdered by a white person? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're asking why white people in general don't get upset by this stuff that is why. Isn't there a saying get your own house in order before casting stones at another house? At this point it's like Donald Trump passing out marital advice.
I think it is a tragedy that black people and the liberal press rarely get that upset when black people kill black people. I see it all is a sad situation. When black people kill black people there is not as much of a political spin that they can put on it which is why I think they act more like its all ho hum.

The justice department responds to no one. They are to be completely independent.

No political figure should be interfering in the criminal investigation or proceedings.

In a democracy you have a right to a fair trial.

It's amazing to me that people who call themselves conservative suddenly believe that these rights do not exist. Moreover these same individuals evangelize about alleged abuses in other countries.

I'll tell you what's outrageous. The foremost responsibility of any leader is to protect the sovereignty of the state. What we witnessed the last two evenings is a complete abdication of this most basic tenet. What we witnessed is anarchy. And people complain about China protecting its sovereignty under the guise of democratic abuses? Laughable.

I am not condoning the riots and looting.

I think it is a tragedy that black people and the liberal press rarely get that upset when black people kill black people. I see it all is a sad situation. When black people kill black people there is not as much of a political spin that they can put on it which is why I think they act more like its all ho hum.
I think it's a tragedy that you think this way.

So which subset are you seeing as the problem? I assume the problematic subset is defined by some combination of race and age, since a diversity in those two categories are what you contrasted it with, but you could be going multiple directions here, so rather than make assumptions about what you mean, I'm asking you to be explicit.

I'll give you a hint

In Stl the others are blacks. There’s no mistaking it. The blacks with businesses put bars on their windows to keep out blacks. The whites with businesses put bars on their windows to keep out blacks. And believe me. I worked right in the middle of it all. United way in allocations. I had all the drug addiction agencies. The schools are a joke and the opportunities for these kids are nonexistent. And for the last 50 years Dems have been in charge. Now you can put on all white and go visit zeke at the sorority house but these are the facts.

The last 50 yrs starts with the Nixon years. I don't know who was Mayor of St Louis in 1970, but in Chicago it was Richard Dailey. Daley had far more in common with Nixon than he did with "liberal" Democrats. Yorty was the Mayor of LA till '73 when Bradley was elected. Yorty was a Republican, and LA actually had a GOP Mayor as recently as 2001. Ridiculous Rudy was the most recent GOP Mayor of NYC, and I really can't think of a lot of "liberals" who were "big-city" mayors...

As an aside, I actually worked one summer as a patrol observer as part of a "police services study" through a class I had at IU circa 1977. It was in conjunction with UNC, Wash U in St Louis, and NYU. We lived in St Ann in a notorious Apt complex and rode along with cops thru out the city and County. So I rode in places like U City, Florrisant, and other downtown districts as well as Kirkwood, Bridgeton, etc... I saw some disturbing things, but one of the things that bothered me most was the way a lot of cops just saw people walking or driving as potential threats. I wasn't inclined to pursue that line of work, but I felt like even if I had been that view of humanity would have been a total turnoff...

Cops kill white people at about the same ratio as black people, if I’m not mistaken.
So the real issue is police brutality not racism. Let's be clear here. This happened in Minneapolis a stronghold of Democratic governance. Why do cops think they can get away with things like this? It has to do with governance. It has to do with philosophy of what government should be able to do.

So the real issue is police brutality not racism. Let's be clear here. This happened in Minneapolis a stronghold of Democratic governance. Why do cops think they can get away with things like this? It has to do with governance. It has to do with philosophy of what government should be able to do.
Bullshit.

I didn’t bring in another topic, Michigan protestors were mentioned in the first post of this thread. Hey if you’re going to protest you might as well loot too!
What a shame that people would use a sad situation like this and use it to get free stuff. Michigan protestors whether people agree or not did not do this. I applaud them for it.

Reactions: Lucy01
I am not condoning the riots and looting.

Well instead of demanding a federal investigation... from the FBI no less (another branch that supposed to be completely independent), why the heck didn't Trump do something to stop this and call in the national guard. Or was he too busy playing golf? I suppose he got involved in the investigation part after Kim K and Kanye called him?

He failed at his most basic responsibility. Protecting the American public. Someone killed last night. Small businesses destroyed in the middle of a pandemic. It should outrage everyone to their core.

The last 50 yrs starts with the Nixon years. I don't know who was Mayor of St Louis in 1970, but in Chicago it was Richard Dailey. Daley had far more in common with Nixon than he did with "liberal" Democrats. Yorty was the Mayor of LA till '73 when Bradley was elected. Yorty was a Republican, and LA actually had a GOP Mayor as recently as 2001. Ridiculous Rudy was the most recent GOP Mayor of NYC, and I really can't think of a lot of "liberals" who were "big-city" mayors...

As an aside, I actually worked one summer as a patrol observer as part of a "police services study" through a class I had at IU circa 1977. It was in conjunction with UNC, Wash U in St Louis, and NYU. We lived in St Ann in a notorious Apt complex and rode along with cops thru out the city and County. So I rode in places like U City, Florrisant, and other downtown districts as well as Kirkwood, Bridgeton, etc... I saw some disturbing things, but one of the things that bothered me most was the way a lot of cops just saw people walking or driving as potential threats. I wasn't inclined to pursue that line of work, but I felt like even if I had been that view of humanity would have been a total turnoff...
Very interesting! You were in quite a few munis. Things have gotten much, much worse here since 1977. I used to have a house in U city directly across the street from wash u.

I could be totally wrong but I don’t think it works like that. I think the D has to show prejudice and get it moved to a different county (venue).
That's exactly how it works. An actual or potential conflict would undermine public confidence in the impartiality and independence of the investigation, in which case the state AG would need to step in.

Reactions: UncleMark
Bc some cops are mental. Some are racist. Some are both. Doesn’t matter who’s the chief when you’ve got a mental racist for a cop.

What a shame that people would use a sad situation like this and use it to get free stuff. Michigan protestors whether people agree or not did not do this. I applaud them for it.
I can't figure out what's funnier. That you found a way to let us know how much you liked the Michigan protesters, or that you really don't understand the first thing about looting.

Reactions: cosmickid and Neves
That's exactly how it works. An actual or potential conflict would undermine public confidence in the impartiality and independence of the investigation, in which case the state AG would need to step in.
It didn’t in Ferguson. And I think it’s the D’s motion. Again I could be wrong.

It didn’t in Ferguson. And I think it’s the D’s motion. Again I could be wrong.
You're simply conflating two different things here. A change of venue at trial is generally going to be requested by the defendant, because he doesn't think he can get a fair trial. That has to do with procedural rules during a criminal trial.

However, long before that happens, there is an investigation, and it's not uncommon for localities to request assistance from the state level if they don't think they can handle the investigation themselves, either because they lack the resources, or because they fear there are conflicts of interest that might affect impartiality. A defendant couldn't request this, because there is no defendant yet. It's purely an investigative issue.

Reactions: UncleMark
You're simply conflating two different things here. A change of venue at trial is generally going to be requested by the defendant, because he doesn't think he can get a fair trial. That has to do with procedural rules during a criminal trial.

However, long before that happens, there is an investigation, and it's not uncommon for localities to request assistance from the state level if they don't think they can handle the investigation themselves, either because they lack the resources, or because they fear there are conflicts of interest that might affect impartiality. A defendant couldn't request this, because there is no defendant yet. It's purely an investigative issue.
Gotcha

If you don’t want people to post, take your bellyaches to a PM.
I'd like people to post actual content, rather than just hint at things and then refuse to explain them.

There are a lot of interesting things that could be said about the identity of the violent elements of the MSP protesters, but unfortunately, we can't get to those interesting things when the people bringing up the issue hide behind, "You know the ones I'm talking about."

Well instead of demanding a federal investigation... from the FBI no less (another branch that supposed to be completely independent), why the heck didn't Trump do something to stop this and call in the national guard. Or was he too busy playing golf? I suppose he got involved in the investigation part after Kim K and Kanye called him?

He failed at his most basic responsibility. Protecting the American public. Someone killed last night. Small businesses destroyed in the middle of a pandemic. It should outrage everyone to their core.

I think the governor calls in National Guard.

I think the governor calls in National Guard.

The President has the authority to call in national guard from any state. The governors can say no.

There is also something called the insurrection act which you can google. The president has the authority to deploy troops. The governor cannot say no.

Trump sat on his ass for two nights as minn burned.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT