ADVERTISEMENT

I'm probably making a mistake getting out in front here, but . . .

Rockfish1

Hall of Famer
Sep 2, 2001
The Minneapolis police don't seem to be reacting well to public displeasure at them killing a helpless black suspect in broad daylight while being recorded.

I have no doubt that there are protesters in Minneapolis who are engaged in violence. And it is a hard messy night for the police, some of whom may be injured. And maybe there's part of a cop killing a black man in broad daylight while being so unthreatened that he keeps a hand in his pocket while he throttles the life out of the suspect with his knee while being recorded and as other police look on that I don't get. And I'm sure we'll hear that the suspect was a bad guy who doesn't deserve our sympathy, and there will be other complications and explanations.

But what the actual f#ck. I'm having a hard time understanding how this isn't what it seems to be. And I'm having a hard time differentiating the walkaway police response to crazy white people armed to the teeth with military weapons taking over a state capitol to protest public health measures designed to save their lives with this violent response in Minneapolis.

Again, I generally try not to get out on the bleeding edge, because there's always more, but I'm struggling to understand how the more will justify what we're seeing now. I guess we'll see.

This feels like a hard conclusion to avoid. But why did these officers think it was legitimate to callously strangle a black suspect to death in broad daylight while being filmed? Yes, there's much we don't know, but I'm reminded of the original Abu Ghraib photos that had obviously been taken openly and notoriously and widely shared with no apparent concern for repercussion. This feels less like a few bad apples and more like a rotten barrel.

Last edited:

This feels like a hard conclusion to avoid. But why did these officers think it was legitimate to callously strangle a black suspect to death in broad daylight while being filmed? Yes, there's much we don't know, but I'm reminded of the original Abu Ghraib photos that had obviously been taken openly and notoriously and widely shared with no apparent concern for repercussion. This feels less like a few bad apples and more like a rotten barrel.

Considering it appears that they've even lost the Breitbart crowd, I'd say the cops involved here should be preparing themselves for a long stay in prison.

Considering it appears that they've even lost the Breitbart crowd, I'd say the cops involved here should be preparing themselves for a long stay in prison.

You mean we might not get slow motion videos of the victim's pinkie twitching and detailed explanations of how that shows he is actively resisting arrest?

The Minneapolis police don't seem to be reacting well to public displeasure at them killing a helpless black suspect in broad daylight while being recorded.

I have no doubt that there are protesters in Minneapolis who are engaged in violence. And it is a hard messy night for the police, some of whom may be injured. And maybe there's part of a cop killing a black man in broad daylight while being so unthreatened that he keeps a hand in his pocket while he throttles the life out of the suspect with his knee while being recorded and as other police look on that I don't get. And I'm sure we'll hear that the suspect was a bad guy who doesn't deserve our sympathy, and there will be other complications and explanations.

But what the actual f#ck. I'm having a hard time understanding how this isn't what it seems to be. And I'm having a hard time differentiating the walkaway police response to crazy white people armed to the teeth with military weapons taking over a state capitol to protest public health measures designed to save their lives with this violent response in Minneapolis.

Again, I generally try not to get out on the bleeding edge, because there's always more, but I'm struggling to understand how the more will justify what we're seeing now. I guess we'll see.
To state the obvious, policemen are trained extensively on the risks of asphyxiation in administering that move. This wasn’t an instance of accident or poor execution (no pun), this was a really bad cop. We all know bad cops exists, like bad priests, bad coaches etc, but that move/hold should be summarily banned from every dept in America. No excuse for it. It provides yet another opportunity for abuse.

Reactions: MrBing and 76-1
To state the obvious, policemen are trained extensively on the risks of asphyxiation in administering that move. This wasn’t an instance of accident or poor execution (no pun), this was a really bad cop. We all know bad cops exists, like bad priests, bad coaches etc, but that move/hold should be summarily banned from every dept in America. No excuse for it. It provides yet another opportunity for abuse.

Since none of the other police bothered to try to stop him, it was a systemic problem and not just one bad cop.

Since none of the other police bothered to try to stop him, it was a systemic problem and not just one bad cop.
Probably. Probably the culture in that district if not dept. but allowing that move, that’s already come under criticism, provides an opportunity for abuse. There’s no reason to do it when there are other ways to subdue that these guys are already trained in.

That is what I noticed as well.

As for the demonstrations, unfortunately the idiots that have to go violent ruin the opportunity and messaging for everyone.

Reactions: 76-1

Has the autopsy report been made public? The cause of death is important information.

The Michigan comparisons are dumb, because the Michigan protests were planned well in advance, to the point where they complied with social distancing guidelines.

These are quite a bit different.

Reactions: ulrey
I'm not going to read all of this thread, but the Cops clearly should be charged, based on the video. Four cops were fired, the FBI is investigating... why are people protesting before Justice has a chance to happen for an egregious and unnecessary demonstration of police brutality?

Shouldn't the protests be the result of failures in Justice?

I'm not going to read all of this thread, but the Cops clearly should be charged, based on the video. Four cops were fired, the FBI is investigating... why are people protesting before Justice has a chance to happen for an egregious and unnecessary demonstration of police brutality?

Shouldn't the protests be the result of failures in Justice?
Black people are tired of being murdered in the streets. That's why.

The Michigan comparisons are dumb, because the Michigan protests were planned well in advance, to the point where they complied with social distancing guidelines.

These are quite a bit different.

Dude you just made that "social distancing" BS up out of thin air...

5969fca5-0205-428e-9821-78e50dc1f654-GTY_AFP_1QX44Z.jpg

They're waiting for the tox report to claim he was on drugs. That's always first in their playbook.
Probably show meth or ecstasy or whatever it is that gives you super human strength and makes you invulnerable to tazering.

They're waiting for the tox report to claim he was on drugs. That's always first in their playbook.

Cause of death is kinda important in a homicide investigation. When a subject dies without the use of deadly force in connection with an arrest, people like you, and others here, will assume the subject was clinically normal. That is seldom the case. The cops are likely facing civil liability, we don’t know enough about criminal responsibility.

Cause of death is kinda important in a homicide investigation. When a subject dies without the use of deadly force in connection with an arrest, people like you, and others here, will assume the subject was clinically normal. That is seldom the case. The cops are likely facing civil liability, we don’t know enough about criminal responsibility.
Compressing the guy's neck while he claims he can't breathe isn't deadly force?

Black people are tired of being murdered in the streets. That's why.

By other black people? Aren't like 95% of black murders committed by other black people or around that? Aren't I as a white man many, many more times likely to be murdered by a black person than a black person is to be murdered by a white person? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're asking why white people in general don't get upset by this stuff that is why. Isn't there a saying get your own house in order before casting stones at another house? At this point it's like Donald Trump passing out marital advice.

No. I think there is a strong argument that the cops used excessive force. I have no idea why they didn’t cuff him and stand him up sooner. The subject was on his side and that normally does not lead to positional asphyxia.

No. I think there is a strong argument that the cops used excessive force. I have no idea why they didn’t cuff him and stand him up sooner. The subject was on his side and that normally does not lead to positional asphyxia.

He was cuffed, he was cuffed when he was on the sidewalk. One can find footage that shows him being stood up (while cuffed) and walked. In that footage he did not resist, but what I saw did not show what made them put him down in the street. But it won't surprise me to find out there is security footage of that.

It's always interesting what aspects of a story or a thread different posters feel the need to spotlight or argue about.

By other black people? Aren't like 95% of black murders committed by other black people or around that? Aren't I as a white man many, many more times likely to be murdered by a black person than a black person is to be murdered by a white person? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

If you're asking why white people in general don't get upset by this stuff that is why. Isn't there a saying get your own house in order before casting stones at another house? At this point it's like Donald Trump passing out marital advice.

I'm not asking anyone why white people aren't more outraged. I am telling you why black people are so upset and protesting.

There are a lot of people (including white people) that are selfish and just don't care, because its not their problem. Same reason we have morons that refuse to wear a mask, because "its not their problem" if someone else gets infected because they are asymptomatic.

Black on black crime is a problem, sure. That doesn't mean you just ignore all other crimes and murders that occur towards black people. There are a lot of societal factors in play as to why black on black crime is a problem.

He was cuffed, he was cuffed when he was on the sidewalk. One can find footage that shows him being stood up (while cuffed) and walked. In that footage he did not resist, but what I saw did not show what made them put him down in the street. But it won't surprise me to find out there is security footage of that.

He was up, cuffed, and then they put him down for 7 minutes or so? If that’s what happened, I don’t get it. There’s something we don’t know.

If @Neves had said "Black people are tired of being murdered in the streets by the police. That's why" would that have made a difference in how you responded?

I'm not asking anyone why white people aren't more outraged. I am telling you why black people are so upset and protesting.

There are a lot of people (including white people) that are selfish and just don't care, because its not their problem. Same reason we have morons that refuse to wear a mask, because "its not their problem" if someone else gets infected because they are asymptomatic.

Black on black crime is a problem, sure. That doesn't mean you just ignore all other crimes and murders that occur towards black people. There are a lot of societal factors in play as to why black on black crime is a problem.
I'm white and I'm outraged. And I'll be even more outraged if that cop is charged with anything less than third degree murder or manslaughter.

Reactions: Indianaftw
If @Neves had said "Black people are tired of being murdered in the streets by the police. That's why" would that have made a difference in how you responded?

My response would have been why aren't black people more focused on black on black crime, out of wedlock births, not having fathers in the home, etc which are infinitely bigger problems to the black community than the police. They are also problems that the black community alone can solve.

We don’t know the nuance of the knee in the neck of the guy lying (handcuffed?) on the ground and the guy saying he couldn’t breathe. How do we know the guy couldn’t breathe? He was talking, wasn’t he? And we all know criminals lie. It’s all about the nuance.

Reactions: cosmickid
My response would have been why aren't black people more focused on black on black crime, out of wedlock births, not having fathers in the home, etc which are infinitely bigger problems to the black community than the police. They are also problems that the black community alone can solve.
Who says that black people aren't focused on those things? I'm not sure if you know this or not, but groups of people can be focused on multiple topics at once that are troubling their community..

Different topics require different actions to make change. You wouldn't protest the police for babies born out of wedlock.

Reactions: hoosboot
Who says that black people aren't focused on those things? I'm not sure if you know this or not, but groups of people can be focused on multiple topics at once that are troubling their community..

Different topics require different actions to make change. You wouldn't protest the police for babies born out of wedlock.

Let me know when we see the mass protests and media coverage regarding those issues.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT