ADVERTISEMENT

IG report looks to be a nothinburger

I hope you don’t really mean that the FBI should have stopped him from becoming president if they suspected him of being an agent. That’s not how our constitution works.
You said exactly what I was going to say. People are innocent until proven guilty in this country - even when we know that person is a pretty despicable person otherwise.

You don’t remember it because it wasn’t “the narrative” that Zeke claimed it was. If it was, we’d all remember it. I googled it a few different ways and found one article in The Guardian that said the FBI was “Trumpland” and a few moonbat sites that referenced that article. There may be other articles out there that make that claim, but I didn’t see them. Based on the scarcity of such reporting and that neither you or I remember this narrative, I would say there was no “FBI Trump fan” narrative at all.

On the other hand, I wouldn’t be at alll surprised if the FBI is home to more than its fair share of Republicans. However, I think they strive hard, like our Republican leaning military, to be apolitical in the execution of their duties. On the other other hand, Trump isn’t a standard Republican (he’s definitely a RINO, in my opinion) and I can’t imagine he’d be universally favored to be President by Republicans in the FBI even if they allowed partisanship influence them in their duties.
I wasn't even looking, but found this:

In light of the fact that the Inspector General’s report ignored the questions about anti-Clinton bias in the FBI’s New York field office and questions about whether Comey’s actions were driven by fears of leaks from that same office, this seems highly relevant. Last night on Fox News, Rep. Devin Nunes explained that in late September 2016, “good FBI agents” came to him and told him they’d found the Weiner laptop with Huma Abedin’s emails with Secretary Clinton.

Note that the reference to late September 2016 makes it clear that the agents in question basically went to Nunes and other Capitol Hill Republicans immediately after they found the laptop.
The IG report says that the fear of leaks drove Comey to break with DOJ/FBI policy and issue the October surprise that probably elected Trump. I remember reading at the time that it was the New York field office that was feeding Giuliani, and now here's Nunes saying they fed him too.

Reactions: UncleMark

In light of the fact that the Inspector General’s report ignored the questions about anti-Clinton bias in the FBI’s New York field office and questions about whether Comey’s actions were driven by fears of leaks from that same office, this seems highly relevant. Last night on Fox News, Rep. Devin Nunes explained that in late September 2016, “good FBI agents” came to him and told him they’d found the Weiner laptop with Huma Abedin’s emails with Secretary Clinton.

Note that the reference to late September 2016 makes it clear that the agents in question basically went to Nunes and other Capitol Hill Republicans immediately after they found the laptop.
The IG report says that the fear of leaks drove Comey to break with DOJ/FBI policy and issue the October surprise that probably elected Trump. I remember reading at the time that it was the New York field office that was feeding Giuliani, and now here's Nunes saying they fed him too.
I’ve always thought that the fear of leaks drove Comey to issue his letter. I imagine it would have been a bigger hit on HRC’s prospects in the election if the information about Weiner’s laptop got out that way.

I think there was clearly anti-Clinton bias, anti-Trump bias and probably anti-both bias (like mine) at the FBI. What I dispute is that there was any sort of “narrative” that the FBI was full of Trump fans. It seems pretty clear that didn’t exist.

I really don't remember that. Do you have some links to stories about FBI Trump fans? I can't find it with any search I've tried. I'd like to have a couple links to that for a guy I work with is convinced that the FBI was in the tank for Hillary. It would be fun to show him some FBI Trump fan articles. :D
You don’t remember it because it wasn’t “the narrative” that Zeke claimed it was. If it was, we’d all remember it. I googled it a few different ways and found one article in The Guardian that said the FBI was “Trumpland” and a few moonbat sites that referenced that article. There may be other articles out there that make that claim, but I didn’t see them. Based on the scarcity of such reporting and that neither you or I remember this narrative, I would say there was no “FBI Trump fan” narrative at all.

On the other hand, I wouldn’t be at alll surprised if the FBI is home to more than its fair share of Republicans. However, I think they strive hard, like our Republican leaning military, to be apolitical in the execution of their duties. On the other other hand, Trump isn’t a standard Republican (he’s definitely a RINO, in my opinion) and I can’t imagine he’d be universally favored to be President by Republicans in the FBI even if they allowed partisanship influence them in their duties.
I’m certain we all listen and watch the same news. You honestly don’t think there was an FBI contingent that was pro Trump and anti Hillary? Ok then...

“Narrative “ claim? There’s also the fact that Rudy’s FBI friends leaked to him before Comey made the Huma info public.
Defend your claim that there was a “narrative” that the FBI was full of Trump fans. That doesn’t do it. If it’s a narrative we’d be aware of it.

I’ve always thought that the fear of leaks drove Comey to issue his letter. I imagine it would have been a bigger hit on HRC’s prospects in the election if the information about Weiner’s laptop got out that way.

I think there was clearly anti-Clinton bias, anti-Trump bias and probably anti-both bias (like mine) at the FBI. What I dispute is that there was any sort of “narrative” that the FBI was full of Trump fans. It seems pretty clear that didn’t exist.
How does that seem pretty clear? I’d imagine in most any place you looked you find a contingent of Trump fans and a contingent of Hillary fans. And in the FBI, with the majority of agents white men, I’d guess there were more Trump fans.

I’m certain we all listen and watch the same news. You honestly don’t think there was an FBI contingent that was pro Trump and anti Hillary? Ok then...
Of course there were. Just like any other organization people favor one or the other or don’t care. That’s not what you were claiming. Are you claiming that a Pro-Trump contingent is responsible for the FBI’s, and Comey’s, actions prior to the election?

Last edited:
How does that seem pretty clear? I’d imagine in most any place you looked you find a contingent of Trump fans and a contingent of Hillary fans. And in the FBI, with the majority of agents white men, I’d guess there were more Trump fans.
“Pretty clear” as in “obviously.”

Also, you’re seriously going to insult all the white male agents at the FBI by implying they were Trump fans? I’d suspect a good amount of them probably despised the man just like I did.

Well they should have stopped him from being elected, if they did indeed think it was possible he was a Russian agent. But obviously they decided to let the investigation play out. What All Americans should be outraged about is the obviously unfit man in office. He told 19 lies on tape in his few short interviews this morning. Katy Tur has them documented,

So you are OK with people from a Gov Agency actively trying to affect an election. That would be much worse than any foreign country trying to tamper. I hope you would get that.

Also, you’re seriously going to insult all the white male agents at the FBI by implying they were Trump fans? I’d suspect a good amount of them probably despised the man just like I did.

Just like a lot of people in the Gov didn’t like Pres Obama but we should all expect our Gov people to do their job without bias. If they can’t they shouldn’t be working in the Government.

Defend your claim that there was a “narrative” that the FBI was full of Trump fans. That doesn’t do it. If it’s a narrative we’d be aware of it.
I think there's a pretty well-established "narrative" that you somehow never heard about. A very quick Google search promptly turned up these items on the first page of results. All of them discuss the well-known anti-Clinton bias at the New York field office that leaked like a sieve to screw Hillary:

The True Story of the Comey Letter Debacle

Remember When FBI Leaks helped Trump?

The Justice Department Watchdog Is Investigating the FBI's Culture of Leaks

I stopped after reading after those three, but those sources link to many others. There are lots of reports like these, and they all say that the FBI's New York filed office hated Hillary with a passion and leaked like a sieve to anyone who'd listen.

Well they should have stopped him from being elected, if they did indeed think it was possible he was a Russian agent. But obviously they decided to let the investigation play out. What All Americans should be outraged about is the obviously unfit man in office. He told 19 lies on tape in his few short interviews this morning. Katy Tur has them documented,

So you are OK with people from a Gov Agency actively trying to affect an election. That would be much worse than any foreign country trying to tamper. I hope you would get that.
As I said multiple times, I think we should have been aware the FBI was investigating Trump.

As I said multiple times, I think we should have been aware the FBI was investigating Trump.

We’re not talking about investigating. We’re talking about actively working to keep him from getting elected. I hope you see the difference.

We’re not talking about investigating. We’re talking about actively working to keep him from getting elected. I hope you see the difference.
Can you explain who actively worked to keep him from getting elected and how they did it? I can see making the case that they did that to Hillary. Not sure how you can make the case they did it to Trump.

Reactions: Bill4411

I'm not sure if it qualifies as a "narrative",but it was certainly a huge topic of conversation on wing nut tv.They made a huge distinction between the "corruption at the top" and the rank and file,who they portrayed as "loyal,patriotic Americans" who supported Trump.There were numerous articles from pro-Trump media talking about how the Military and FBI supported Trump.This is not something Zeke pulled out of thin air...

And their "contact"? Big Mouth Rudy,who REALLY wanted to spill the beans and could barely contain his glee during an Oct 26 appearance on Fox.Two days prior to Comey's announcement...

"Rudolph W. Giuliani was dying to show the country that he remained in the loop. “I mean, I’m talking about some pretty big surprises,” he said on Fox News on Oct. 26, 2016. On an earlier Fox News program, he said, “I do think that all of these revelations about Hillary Clinton finally are beginning to have an impact. He’s got a surprise or two that you’re going to hear about in the next two days.”

On Oct. 28, 2016, then-FBI Director James B. Comey signaled that he was reopening the investigation into Hillary Clinton’s emails — a momentous event that may have handed the presidency to Donald Trump and is the subject of much chatter on Comey’s ongoing tour for his new book.

After Comey took that fateful step — and the entire newsphere went bonkers — Giuliani returned to Fox News for on Nov. 4 something of a victory lap. “I had expected this for the last — honestly, tell you the truth, I thought it was going to be about three, four weeks ago. Because back — way back in July this started. So, this has been boiling up … I did nothing to get it out. I had no role in it. Did I hear about it? You’re darn right I heard about it. And I can’t even repeat the language that I heard.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/blog...bi-leak-investigation/?utm_term=.91cc87c58679

What he refers to "dating back to July",is a revolt within the FBI by anti-Clinton folks upset with Comey's announcement of no charges.As the IG report from yesterday points out Comey's conclusions were RIGHT.Yet certain FBI agents decided they knew better...
And as the WAPO article points out,Rudy's loose lips moment prompted Comey to launch an investigation into leaks within the FBI...

Reactions: UncleMark

What are you even talking about here? First you imply I made it up. Then you get multiple sources. Then I simply list statistics... maybe check the number of white males that voted for Trump , and you’re saying I’m insulting FBI agents. You appear to be looking for something to get riled up about. Have a cocktail and relax.

I think there's a pretty well-established "narrative" that you somehow never heard about. A very quick Google search promptly turned up these items on the first page of results. All of them discuss the well-known anti-Clinton bias at the New York field office that leaked like a sieve to screw Hillary:

The True Story of the Comey Letter Debacle

Remember When FBI Leaks helped Trump?

The Justice Department Watchdog Is Investigating the FBI's Culture of Leaks

I stopped after reading after those three, but those sources link to many others. There are lots of reports like these, and they all say that the FBI's New York filed office hated Hillary with a passion and leaked like a sieve to anyone who'd listen.
Anti-Clinton bias does not equate to pro-Trump bias or a “narrative” that the FBI was full of “Trump fans.” I have no doubt that some FBI agents felt there was a case against HRC due to negligently handling classified information. I’m sure they’re fully aware of the importance of taking care of TS/SAP information. However, that alone doesn’t make someone a Trump fan. It sure as heck didn’t make me one.

Anti-Clinton bias does not equate to pro-Trump bias or a “narrative” that the FBI was full of “Trump fans.” I have no doubt that some FBI agents felt there was a case against HRC due to negligently handling classified information. I’m sure they’re fully aware of the importance of taking care of TS/SAP information. However, that alone doesn’t make someone a Trump fan. It sure as heck didn’t make me one.
You're quibbling. In fact, there is no evidence that anyone from FBI or DOJ aided Hillary, but lots of evidence that some acted to screw Hillary, which helped Trump. Indeed, Comey's decisions probably cost Hillary the election. In this context, loony Deep State conspiracy theories are guano loco.

What are you even talking about here? First you imply I made it up. Then you get multiple sources. Then I simply list statistics... maybe check the number of white males that voted for Trump , and you’re saying I’m insulting FBI agents. You appear to be looking for something to get riled up about. Have a cocktail and relax.
Once again, I’m only striving for accuracy. Given the fact that you and I both know our President is a serial liar, you should strive for accuracy as well.

I am relaxing - with my second cocktail. It’s been a long week. I’ve been filling in for the number two guy at work for three weeks due to his health issues. Somebody has to do it.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but with the way most Republicans are currently behaving, it look like you are the RINO, Brother Aloha. :(
I’m no Trumpster - that’s for sure. I’m no Democrat either. Don’t ruin my cocktail time.

You're quibbling. In fact, there is no evidence that anyone from FBI or DOJ aided Hillary, but lots of evidence that some acted to screw Hillary, which helped Trump. Indeed, Comey's decisions probably cost Hillary the election. In this context, loony Deep State conspiracy theories are guano loco.
But I’m being accurate.

The Deep State conspiracy theory, like most conspiracy theories, is crazy.

Reactions: Rockfish1
Sorry, bro. Doesn't make you a Democrat. Just makes you a RINO in the current climate. The "real" Republicans support the President to the tune of an 85% approval rating. If you're a part of that 15%, you're the guy that's on the outs.
I don’t think that “support” in polling necessarily makes them all Trumpsters. We have people that support the D or the R just because the person has a D or R next to the name. They, unfortunately, don’t really know much else.

Are people seriously dumb enough to believe Trump is a Russian agent? Is that a real thing? Surely people aren’t that dumb, right?

The IG report tells us why the October announcement came when it did. The FBI’s intended to not harm Hillary.

Comey informed CONGRESS as per his agreement.GOP Congress people leaked that info,and there was no justifiable reason to do so.

Why would the FBI want to harm HRC,till they knew whether the emails were a problem or not?They extended Trump the same,if not far more encompassing courtesy,when they kept the ongoing investigation of his camp from any sort of public knowledge.Are you contending the FBI should have made the info available to the public? If so,I'm intrigued as to why,since I'm sure you'd be whining had they outed the Trump investigation...

I’m seriously worried you may not make it through the next six years of Trump. Did you cry like all the other snowflake liberals?

They "leaked" to the Trump Campaign via Rudy.Pretty sure that indicates a higher degree of bias than you're willing to admit existed...

I’m seriously worried you may not make it through the next six years of Trump. Did you cry like all the other snowflake liberals?

Brave front.No indication Trump will survive his term,much less get re-elected.Pretty easy for the Dem candidate to reverse 70,000 midwest votes,esp with the major increase in Dem participation since 2016.Have you compared Dem turnout in PA and Wisky in 2016,with Dem turnout in those states in 2017/18?And the story in MI in 2016 was Dems staying home and 250,000 3rd party votes.None of those indicators point to increased Trump votes in those 3 states.And recent elections in areas Trump won have all shown pretty notable Dem increases...

Curious,which states do you see Trump carrying in 2020 (hypothetical) that he didn't carry in 2016?Suggest you check out his current approval ratings in swing states like Ohio and PA heading into the midterms.Dem incumbents in both states (Brown and Casey) both have double-digit leads.

Brave front.No indication Trump will survive his term,much less get re-elected.Pretty easy for the Dem candidate to reverse 70,000 midwest votes,esp with the major increase in Dem participation since 2016.Have you compared Dem turnout in PA and Wisky in 2016,with Dem turnout in those states in 2017/18?And the story in MI in 2016 was Dems staying home and 250,000 3rd party votes.None of those indicators point to increased Trump votes in those 3 states.And recent elections in areas Trump won have all shown pretty notable Dem increases...

Curious,which states do you see Trump carrying in 2020 (hypothetical) that he didn't carry in 2016?Suggest you check out his current approval ratings in swing states like Ohio and PA heading into the midterms.Dem incumbents in both states (Brown and Casey) both have double-digit leads.
Pretty easy like you and everyone else thought Hilldog would win? Lol. #maga

They "leaked" to the Trump Campaign via Rudy.Pretty sure that indicates a higher degree of bias than you're willing to admit existed...
I must not be making myself clear. I've said that there were people in the FBI with an anti-Clinton bias, an anti-Trump bias and certainly people with anti-both bias, and I'm sure there were a few purely politically agnostic people in the FBI. However, that is FAR from any "narrative" that the FBI was full of "Trump fans." Also, like most career people in government, they try hard to be apolitical. I'd contend that there were people in the FBI that understood that HRC negligently handled highly classified information and that Comey's response was not entirely appropriate (or that she was not being treated the way that Jill Blow in the government would have been) were a little miffed about that - and not otherwise anti-Clinton or pro-Trump. Don't forget that the criminal investigation into HRC's handling of classified information with her unauthorized, unclassified email server was first reported by the New York Times long at a time that Trump becoming Republican nominee was considered a joke. So whoever leaked that was highly unlikely to be a "Trump fan" trying to help him over HRC.

Last edited:
I don’t think that “support” in polling necessarily makes them all Trumpsters. We have people that support the D or the R just because the person has a D or R next to the name. They, unfortunately, don’t really know much else.
I hear that, but Trump is now more popular among Republicans than any other president in polling history, apart from Bush 43 right after 9/11. What we're seeing here is literally unprecedented. We have the most obviously unfit person in presidential history supported by an historic percentage of Republicans.

How long can decent people admit to being Republicans?

I hear that, but Trump is now more popular among Republicans than any other president in polling history, apart from Bush 43 right after 9/11. What we're seeing here is literally unprecedented. We have the most obviously unfit person in presidential history supported by an historic percentage of Republicans.

How long can decent people admit to being Republicans?
It is unprecedented. It doesn't make sense and I'm trying not to ruin my Friday night. I think I'll go watch a movie with the lovely bride. Who by they way, was Republican when I was a Democrat and also cannot stand Trump. It's a screwed up political world right now with Democrats skewing too far left and Republicans gone Trumpsville, whatever that really means, and me not liking either party at the moment.

It is unprecedented. It doesn't make sense and I'm trying not to ruin my Friday night. I think I'll go watch a movie with the lovely bride. Who by they way, was Republican when I was a Democrat and also cannot stand Trump. It's a screwed up political world right now with Democrats skewing too far left and Republicans gone Trumpsville, whatever that really means, and me not liking either party at the moment.
I will absolutely stop ruining your Friday night. :)

I don't think Trump's popularity is so hard to figue out.

The economic numbers are the best they have been in decades.

ISIS is busted in the Levant. Syrian Red Line is a real line in the sand.

North Korea is not as scary as it was 6 months ago.

Illegal immigration is on the front burner.

Trump get's more credit than he should. Trump takes more credit that he should. His dumbass tweets about these matters trivialize them.

The rank and file GOP don't give a rip about Trump and Trudeau sticking their tongues out at each other.

Reactions: SNU0821
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT