ADVERTISEMENT

If there were to be a coaching change ...

I could really care less, if our head coach sucks the teat of the AAU coaches in Indiana. Last time I looked there were a lot more hot beds of talent, than the state of Indiana. You can pull talent from the state if you are winning and even if you don't who cares as long as you win. The notion that you have to have home grown talent on your team, in order to win, is ridiculous. Give me players from anywhere. If they come here and do our University proud, then so be it. We have to get over this "has to be an IU guy", "gotta have home grown talent", in order to be a coach. No, you just have to know how to recruit and coach today's

IU goes out and recruits these AAU darlings that are 4 and 5 star, yet there’s no culture and no system. Offense is out of control and defense non-existent. All about individuals and not the program. Message boards get fired up when IU lands a 4 or 5 star. The problem, Northwestern and Penn State are taking their O-3 star players and kicking our butt. Doesn’t need to be homegrown or based on geography; instead, the players need to fit a system. A culture. What did Woodson bring to IU? Nothing but his past as a player. He had no system or culture established that Dolson could have evaluated. Nothing but marginal NBA experience. A guy like Shrewsberry worked under Stevens at Butler and Boston. Painter at Purdue. He’s been around winners and was instrumental in developing players. Been part of fantastic cultures. Same could be said of a guy like Jerome Tang of Kansas State, who helped Drew build Baylor over 19 years.

Last edited:
IU goes out and recruits these AAU darlings that are 4 and 5 star, yet there’s no culture and no system. Offense is out of control and defense non-existent. All about individuals and not the program. Message boards get fired up when IU lands a 4 or 5 star. The problem, Northwestern and Penn State are taking their O-3 star players and kicking our butt. Doesn’t need to be homegrown or based on geography; instead, the players need to fit a system. A culture. What did Woodson bring to IU? Nothing but his past as a player. He had no system or culture established that Dolson could have evaluated. Nothing but marginal NBA experience. A guy like Shrewsberry worked under Stevens at Butler and Boston. Painter at Purdue. He’s been around winners and had been instrumental in developing players. Been part of fantastic cultures. Same could be said of a guy like Jerome Tang of Kansas State, who helped Drew build Baylor over 19 years.
Agree 100% and that is why Purdue is doing so well starting two freshman who were not ranked high at all. Given the NIL money now I think IU would be best to hire a coach who approaches things more like Purdue or Wisconsin. Woodson is an NBA guy and these four and five star guys getting paid big bucks will likely never buy into a system like Purdue or Wisconsin have. This is doomed to fail at IU right now.

You must not be listening. The Alumni and a big section of fans want some homegrown talent. Like a Sisley, Zeller, TJD etc. if those guys went to Ohio state you and everyone else would be pissed screaming about it. If you don’t want those guys then hire Drew. Nobody is saying get all indiana kids.
Oh I hear you. I just don't agree with it. This isn't 1987 anymore. I also didn't say get "all" Indiana kids. My point is, with the right coach/system, we can win with players from anywhere. If we win, the locals will want to be a part of it. Just my opinion.

Agree 100% and that is why Purdue is doing so well starting two freshman who were not ranked high at all. Given the NIL money now I think IU would be best to hire a coach who approaches things more like Purdue or Wisconsin. Woodson is an NBA guy and these four and five star guys getting paid big bucks will likely never buy into a system like Purdue or Wisconsin have. This is doomed to fail at IU right now.
Don’t think the genie can be put back in the bottle.

Painter seems to have a good thing going and he does seem to have threaded that needle - having a program built on coaching, team play, and sort of shunning the NIL model. I don’t believe that could happen at IU.

For better or worse, we have embraced every fiber of NIL and this program is now in the hands of boosters.

The money cannot be reigned in here. I have no doubt we have guys at the end of the bench making $100k, and others like TJD at ten times that. It complicates a lot. You have conflicts of interest all over the place.

Coming into this season I thought NIL was the death of parity. How could a team with a roster making combined less than an Anthony Leal ever beat a team like IU? The answer, I am finding out, is much more complicated. Kentucky has a guy supposedly making more than TJD. And they may be NIT bound.

Reactions: mk30 and Radio Zero
Oh I hear you. I just don't agree with it. This isn't 1987 anymore. I also didn't say get "all" Indiana kids. My point is, with the right coach/system, we can win with players from anywhere. If we win, the locals will want to be a part of it. Just my opinion.
1987 team only had 4 indiana kids.(only 1 played lots of minutes)Knight didn’t win with mostly Indiana kids. He recruited Illinois as much as any state. It’s always been a false narrative.

Painter seems to have a good thing going and he does seem to have threaded that needle - having a program built on coaching, team play, and sort of shunning the NIL model. I don’t believe that could happen at IU.

For better or worse, we have embraced every fiber of NIL and this program is now in the hands of boosters.

The money cannot be reigned in here. I have no doubt we have guys at the end of the bench making $100k, and others like TJD at ten times that. It complicates a lot. You have conflicts of interest all over the place.

Coming into this season I thought NIL was the death of parity. How could a team with a roster making combined less than an Anthony Leal ever beat a team like IU? The answer, I am finding out, is much more complicated. Kentucky has a guy supposedly making more than TJD. And they may be NIT bound.

As an outsider with a bunch of IU friends, I think the common denominator for the last decade is these teams are always less than the sum of their parts. Kids don't often grow and improve year over year. Recruiting and 'tradition' seem to be more important than the team's actual basketball identity. The coaching turnstile means classes of recruits are lost or forgotten. IU needs a solid x's and o's guy who knows what he wants his team to be on the floor. Not just the usual bogus "we want to win" drivel. I think, contrary to what I often read here, IU needs a guy who doesn't give a crap about the tradition and makes his own tradition. Maybe not these two guys exactly, but guys like McDermott or Shrews. Somebody who wins because the team looks good, not because the stars had a big night.

Reactions: .Gerdis
Honest question. Was Alford ever considered? I realize he’s never had top level success but I have always thought he would be a natural fit and Would have owned recruiting in the state. Always seemed to me that Steve never reached his full potential due to the coaching choices he made and IU missed on a potential home run hire. It seems the time has passed for that but was curious if there was a back story. FYI- Boiler here from the 84-88 years. Fun times during the rivalry.

• Angry
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Honest question. Was Alford ever considered? I realize he’s never had top level success but I have always thought he would be a natural fit and Would have owned recruiting in the state. Always seemed to me that Steve never reached his full potential due to the coaching choices he made and IU missed on a potential home run hire. It seems the time has passed for that but was curious if there was a back story. FYI- Boiler here from the 84-88 years. Fun times during the rivalry.
Not this sh!t again. It’s been hashed, re-hashed and talked about. 🤦🏻

HC Michael Lewis
Put AJ Moye on the staff

I’m not sure of the abilities of Hunter and Yasir combined with Woodson. Woodson does seem to be stubborn

Rebuild it
Recruit players that fit the “personality test” created to help build a team
Develop players and classes accordingly
You can't rebuild it and recruit players that fit when a three game losing streak in the middle of year 2 causes the fanbase to give up and start making new unrealistic lists of coaches that we can't wait to foist our unrealistic expectations on.

This place is stupid.

Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
Spend the money there are plenty of guys out there. This time it must be a proven guy I dont want a up and coming guy. I would try all these guys till they say no.

1 Brad Stevens
2 Mark Few
3 Scott Drew
4 Billy Donovan
5 Jay Wright
6 Bruce Pearl
7 Nate Oats
8 Eric Mussleman
9 Chris Beard
10 Rick Pitno
11 John Belien
If Jay Wright could be lured out of retirement, he or Belien would be the guy. Second tier-Pearl or Few.

• Haha
Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Of people I think we might actually be able to get, Drew is probably the best, most proven coach I can think of. No clue if he'd leave Baylor for IU, I'd think it'd be intriguing for him.

Best/most realistic hope...Woody figures out how to coach college ball a little better, and starts winning more. Decides he's getting tired in a couple years, and we get a solid replacement when Woody hangs it up.

Fantasy Land hope...Woody doesn't like dealing with college kids, retires sooner than expected (this offseason maybe), and the timing works out somehow, and we get Billy Donovan.

My worry/most likely scenario...this season doesn't end well. We're either a bubble team, or we miss out altogether on NCAA. Woody gets another year, next year isn't much better...Woody gets fired after next season. The turmoil turns off some decent candidates, alienates the RMK era IU people, and we end up making another C+ hire.

If you have the players to do that, it’s a very smart strategy. 3s and dunks are the way the game should be played now.
No
If you have the players to do that, it’s a very smart strategy. 3s and dunks are the way the game should be played now.

Spend the money there are plenty of guys out there. This time it must be a proven guy I dont want a up and coming guy. I would try all these guys till they say no.

1 Brad Stevens
2 Mark Few
3 Scott Drew
4 Billy Donovan
5 Jay Wright
6 Bruce Pearl
7 Nate Oats
8 Eric Mussleman
9 Chris Beard
10 Rick Pitno
11 John Belien
Agreed on Stevens and surprised no one has brought him up. We should go after him next time around.

• Haha
Reactions: Joe_Hoopsier
You can't rebuild it and recruit players that fit when a three game losing streak in the middle of year 2 causes the fanbase to give up and start making new unrealistic lists of coaches that we can't wait to foist our unrealistic expectations on.

This place is stupid.
That 3 game stretch was brutal and extremely familiar. Still concerned about player development. Unrealistic expectations? IU was picked to win the Big ten this year. The coaches and players came to IU to have these expectations. As a fan base we have seen legitimately very bad basketball these last few seasons, and we’ve seen it this season too.

Reactions: mk30

NIL has its own issues, but it takes away the recruiting advantages of those who have been willing to play the cheating game in the past. And it will keep guys from jumping so soon to the NBA (imagine Hood-Schifino back next year). That's all good for the college game.

• Sad
Reactions: mk30 and Lucy01
Tom Crean was hired because nobody wanted it. Archie Miller was hired because nobody wanted it. Mike Woodson was hired because nobody wanted it. The next guy they settle for will be hired because NOBODY wants it. If any of these guys on the list wanted to coach at IU, they would be coaching at IU.
Not true.

Reactions: Crayfish57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT