ADVERTISEMENT

If there were to be a coaching change ...

DCGeneral

Hall of Famer
Jul 5, 2001
I assume all of us agree that Woody will be the coach for at least the next two years. But if there were to be a change in the near future, name your top three REALISTIC preferred replacements.

My top 3

1. Scott Drew
- like many I was adamantly against his hiring because of the Hanner Perea incident, but he would check all the boxes for us

2. Eric Mussleman
- total spaz and will eventually leave for the NBA, but would win right away

3. Nate Oats
- I see him as a high risk, high reward candidate

I would love to see Tommy Lloyd, but that's not realistic for him to leave the West Coast. Another unrealistic option is Chris Beard if he were to be cleared of the domestic violence charge.

• Angry
Reactions: Willdog7
I assume all of us agree that Woody will be the coach for at least the next two years. But if there were to be a change in the near future, name your top three REALISTIC preferred replacements.

My top 3

1. Scott Drew
- like many I was adamantly against his hiring because of the Hanner Perea incident, but he would check all the boxes for us

2. Eric Mussleman

3. Nate Oats

I would love to see Tommy Lloyd, but that's not realistic for him to leave the West Coast. Another unrealistic option is Chris Beard if he were to be cleared of the domestic violence charge.
IU isn't going to hire Scott Drew even if he was a free agent so you can cross him off your realistic get list. Guessing one of Musselman or Oats is at Kentucky next year and the other at Texas.

My top 3

1. Scott Drew

2. Eric Mussleman

3. Nate Oats

Of people I think we might actually be able to get, Drew is probably the best, most proven coach I can think of. No clue if he'd leave Baylor for IU, I'd think it'd be intriguing for him.

Best/most realistic hope...Woody figures out how to coach college ball a little better, and starts winning more. Decides he's getting tired in a couple years, and we get a solid replacement when Woody hangs it up.

Fantasy Land hope...Woody doesn't like dealing with college kids, retires sooner than expected (this offseason maybe), and the timing works out somehow, and we get Billy Donovan.

My worry/most likely scenario...this season doesn't end well. We're either a bubble team, or we miss out altogether on NCAA. Woody gets another year, next year isn't much better...Woody gets fired after next season. The turmoil turns off some decent candidates, alienates the RMK era IU people, and we end up making another C+ hire.

Spend the money there are plenty of guys out there. This time it must be a proven guy I dont want a up and coming guy. I would try all these guys till they say no.

1 Brad Stevens
2 Mark Few
3 Scott Drew
4 Billy Donovan
5 Jay Wright
6 Bruce Pearl
7 Nate Oats
8 Eric Mussleman
9 Chris Beard
10 Rick Pitno
11 John Belien

If IU ever said F it and hired Slick Rick. I would be the top donor. I live me some Ricky P. Top 5 coach of all time no doubt.
Spend the money there are plenty of guys out there. This time it must be a proven guy I dont want a up and coming guy. I would try all these guys till they say no.

1 Brad Stevens
2 Mark Few
3 Scott Drew
4 Billy Donovan
5 Jay Wright
6 Bruce Pearl
7 Nate Oats
8 Eric Mussleman
9 Chris Beard
10 Rick Pitno
11 John Belien

Zero chance Drew is ever coaching at IU. There is a reason Drew is still at Baylor. If you want Indiana kids Drew isn’t your guy.

Reactions: B1G_Fan

My top 3

1. Scott Drew

2. Eric Mussleman

3. Nate Oats

If we had a donor willing to pay 10 million to get rid of Archie I am pretty sure we could get the money to hire a really big name coach. Drew would be my number one choice given it has been rumored he would be interested in the IU job. It is simply time for IU to man up and hire proven big time winner. And yes I do believe one would comn if the price is right.

Last edited:
  • Angry
If Woody turns it around and they are successful over next 5-7 years, I would think Dolson will keep the bloodline to Knight alive and hire Lewis (assuming he’s still relative).

If not, the family tree may forever be severed.

My top 3

1. Scott Drew

2. Eric Mussleman

3. Nate Oats

Did this get pulled from the archives of threads started beginning in / around the winter of 2018 through April of 2021?

If we had a donor willing to pay 10 million to get rid of Archie I am pretty sure we could get the money to hire a really big name coach. Drew would be my number one choice given it has been rumored he would be interested in the IU job. It is simply time for IU to man up and hire proven big time winner. And yes I do believe one would if the price is right.
If the rumors were true, we pulled out all the stops to land Coach Stevens and he didn’t come. I heard 10 years and $70+ million, which was probably our best foot forward in terms of money IU could put together. I still think IU’s next coach, whenever that may come, will be Michael Lewis, provided he does fairly well at Ball St.

• Angry
If the rumors were true, we pulled out all the stops to land Coach Stevens and he didn’t come. I heard 10 years and $70+ million, which was probably our best foot forward in terms of money IU could put together. I still think IU’s next coach, whenever that may come, will be Michael Lewis, provided he does fairly well at Ball St.
I hope Lewis succeeds.

If we had a donor willing to pay 10 million to get rid of Archie I am pretty sure we could get the money to hire a really big name coach. Drew would be my number one choice given it has been rumored he would be interested in the IU job. It is simply time for IU to man up and hire proven big time winner. And yes I do believe one would if the price is right.
Drew is 100% not ever going to be the coach at IU. I figured you knew the history with Indiana AAU and high school coaches with him. He’s also got some history with IU alumni. He’s not liked in any of those circles.

Reactions: B1G_Fan
There is no way Brad is leaving the Celtics, even if IU offered more $$ . He is the GM on arguably the best and best up and coming team in the NBA. He has the best 2 player combination of any team and they are young.

If we had a donor willing to pay 10 million to get rid of Archie I am pretty sure we could get the money to hire a really big name coach. Drew would be my number one choice given it has been rumored he would be interested in the IU job. It is simply time for IU to man up and hire proven big time winner. And yes I do believe one would comn if the price is right.
Idk how many times it has to be said, but IU and Drew have bad blood. IU would never bring Drew here. Never.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
What is his Gimmick?
The drive kick. If he doesn’t get good 3 point shot first kick they fall apart. If you live and die by it you will die. They have no back up plan. It’s drive kick or hope to get fouled.

The drive kick. If he doesn’t get good 3 point shot first kick they fall apart. If you live and die by it you will die. They have no back up plan. It’s drive kick or hope to get fouled.
If you have the players to do that, it’s a very smart strategy. 3s and dunks are the way the game should be played now.

If you have the players to do that, it’s a very smart strategy. 3s and dunks are the way the game should be played now.
But he doesn’t always. It’s one of those things. Fun to watch when it’s working but a nightmare if it’s not. Not consistent enough. Our fans would hat it.

What is the gimmick? His teams live and die by the 3, but I wouldn’t call that a gimmick.
Generalities ... as there's always exceptions.

That's part of the gimmick, he took analytics to high gamble level on offense. At the rim or three only and threes can be taken from deep ranges. No 2pt jumpers unless the player can hit them at an extraordinary rate.

When on from deep and causing TO's they look great and are very fun to watch.

but ...

When off from deep they look like a rec ball team .. fwiw - he hasn't made it past the 3rd round with Bama, with teams ranked as high as 5th nationally. They were as high as 6th last year until the wheels came off and eventually lost in the first round.

Not taking open twos and over-penetrating only makes it's easier for the defense to check drivers, he basically took triple threat and made it double threat on drives. No need to worry about most players pulling up, it's either rim drive or pass.

What's weird is on defense he completely ignores analytics by gambling, and overplaying. which only works situationally, and tends to be less effective as opposing teams progress through season and become more proficient at floor game.

The other byproduct of that is his teams foul way too much. currently ranked in the 300 area in opponent FT. Which is about the norm for him. 220 to 340 ..

Our fans would eventually want to kill him, especially the older ones, but then again, they do that with every coach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Victorbmyboy

1 Brad Stevens
2 Mark Few
3 Scott Drew
4 Billy Donovan
5 Jay Wright
6 Bruce Pearl
7 Nate Oats
8 Eric Mussleman
9 Chris Beard
10 Rick Pitno
11 John Belien
Can’t believe there’s still people who do this every year.

1. Brad Stevens-been offered the job before. Zero interest in coaching college basketball and his professional coaching career is likely done.

2. Mark Few-idiotic. Been at Gonzaga 30+ years. Has never held a job elsewhere. Built that program from the ground up. Former player of mine coaches high school near the Spokane area, said in the last 5-6 years programs altogether have stopped reaching out because Few has made it abundantly clear he’s never leaving Gonzaga.

3. Scott Drew-could be the last coaching candidate left on Earth and he still wouldn’t get an interview from IU.

4. Billy Donovan-Wouldn’t mind it but would be a waste of a phone call

5. Jay Wright-just retired from college basketball because he was sick of the current landscape

6. Bruce Pearl-would never be given an interview here

7. Nate Oats-first realistic candidate you’ve mentioned

8. Eric Musselman- second realistic candidate you’ve mentioned. I’d be all-in.

9. Chris Beard- would never get an interview here

10. Rick Pitino- would never get an interview here

11. John Beilein- was my pick to replace Archie, unfortunately think he’s staying in retirement

Generalities ... as there's always exceptions.

That's part of the gimmick, he took analytics to high gamble level on offense. At the rim or three only and threes can be taken from deep ranges. No 2pt jumpers unless the player can hit them at an extraordinary rate.

When on from deep and causing TO's they look great and are very fun to watch.

but ...

When off from deep they look like a rec ball team .. fwiw - he hasn't made it past the 2nd round with Bama, with teams ranked as high as 5th nationally. They were as high as 6th last year until the wheels came off and eventually lost in the first round.

Not taking open twos and over-penetrating only makes it's easier for the defense to check drivers, he basically took triple threat and made it double threat on drives. No need to worry about most players pulling up, it's either rim drive or pass.

What's weird is on defense he completely ignores analytics by gambling, and overplaying. which only works situationally, and tends to be less effective as opposing teams progress through season and become more proficient at floor game.

The other byproduct of that is his teams foul way too much. currently ranked in the 300 area in opponent FT. Which is about the norm for him. 220 to 340 ..

Our fans would eventually want to kill him, especially the older ones, but then again, they do that with every coach.
I take him in a heartbeat over the current coach, and he isn’t a realistic hire anyways.

IU couldn’t get any quality coach to come here and settled for Woodson. That’s how bad the situation is. It’s not an attractive job. The pressure to win is high but the resources to win are not there.

IU couldn’t get any quality coach to come here and settled for Woodson. That’s how bad the situation is. It’s not an attractive job. The pressure to win is high but the resources to win are not there.
We tried for stevens and went straight to woodson after it seemed. You really think we even tried for someone like oats or mussleman? I don't. But i do think the donor must have thought we could get stevens cause i dont think he is dropping 10 million just to get mike woodson

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT