ADVERTISEMENT

If there were to be a coaching change ...

IU is going to have to offer $10 mil/year to get a quality coach. Obviously Self, Bennett, Few, and Drew aren’t coming. Rick Barnes is old. Danny Hurley is an East Coast guy. No reason for Cronin to leave UCLA. Maybe Oats could be enticed to leave. Musselman is pushing 60. Sean Miller isn’t coming. No Big Ten coach is either. Sampson is out of the question plus he is older than Woodson.

Who are the realistic candidates?

Of people I think we might actually be able to get, Drew is probably the best, most proven coach I can think of. No clue if he'd leave Baylor for IU, I'd think it'd be intriguing for him.

Best/most realistic hope...Woody figures out how to coach college ball a little better, and starts winning more. Decides he's getting tired in a couple years, and we get a solid replacement when Woody hangs it up.

Fantasy Land hope...Woody doesn't like dealing with college kids, retires sooner than expected (this offseason maybe), and the timing works out somehow, and we get Billy Donovan.

My worry/most likely scenario...this season doesn't end well. We're either a bubble team, or we miss out altogether on NCAA. Woody gets another year, next year isn't much better...Woody gets fired after next season. The turmoil turns off some decent candidates, alienates the RMK era IU people, and we end up making another C+ hire.
This is the kind of pessimism to which I can relate. Well done. 😎

Most the guys listed here are too old or wouldn't come.

How about Greg McDermott? Seems to have done well at Northern Iowa and now Creighton. We could ay him a lot more.

Reactions: mk30
IU won’t agree. He’s also hated by the high school and AAU ranks for the same reason. That wouldn’t go over well here.
That was 10+ years ago. Drew isn’t coming here because he doesn’t want to come to this sh#t show. We just hired a 60+ year old who hasn’t ever coached college basketball and proceeded to fire the only guy with relevant experience. We’re in no position to hire a coach with Drew’s resume.

That was 10+ years ago. Drew isn’t coming here because he doesn’t want to come to this sh#t show. We just hired a 60+ year old who hasn’t ever coached college basketball and proceeded to fire the only guy with relevant experience. We’re in no position to hire a coach with Drew’s resume.
The same HS and AAU coaches are still around. Drew hasn’t recruited indiana kids since those incidents. He’s basically locked out. Drew most certainly would’ve taken the IU job if offered. You are kidding yourself.

The same HS and AAU coaches are still around. Drew hasn’t recruited indiana kids since those incidents. He’s basically locked out. Drew most certainly would’ve taken the IU job if offered. You are kidding yourself.
Lol..if we have an administration that skipped hiring Drew for Woodson, we’re f#cked 😂

Lol..if we have an administration that skipped hiring Drew for Woodson, we’re f#cked 😂
You are missing the point. He’s been passed over for other jobs too. Drew isn’t a fit for any team in indiana. He created that scenario. Not IU.

You are missing the point. He’s been passed over for other jobs too. Drew isn’t a fit for any team in indiana. He created that scenario. Not IU.
If your post is true, it’s depressing. We suck as a program. We’re not a desirable job and not even a top 5 program in the Big Ten. We’re in no position to turn away a top 5ish coach who has a won a national title. If the people in charge of making those decisions chose Woodson over Drew, we’re extremely f#cked.

HC Michael Lewis
Put AJ Moye on the staff

I’m not sure of the abilities of Hunter and Yasir combined with Woodson. Woodson does seem to be stubborn

Rebuild it
Recruit players that fit the “personality test” created to help build a team
Develop players and classes accordingly

I assume all of us agree that Woody will be the coach for at least the next two years. But if there were to be a change in the near future, name your top three REALISTIC preferred replacements.

My top 3

1. Scott Drew
- like many I was adamantly against his hiring because of the Hanner Perea incident, but he would check all the boxes for us

2. Eric Mussleman
- total spaz and will eventually leave for the NBA, but would win right away

3. Nate Oats
- I see him as a high risk, high reward candidate

I would love to see Tommy Lloyd, but that's not realistic for him to leave the West Coast. Another unrealistic option is Chris Beard if he were to be cleared of the domestic violence charge.
Being stuck with woodson for two more years is a scary thought

HC Michael Lewis
Put AJ Moye on the staff

I’m not sure of the abilities of Hunter and Yasir combined with Woodson. Woodson does seem to be stubborn

Rebuild it
Recruit players that fit the “personality test” created to help build a team
Develop players and classes accordingly
God no.

• Love
Reactions: GeorgeStrait IU
Tom Crean was hired because nobody wanted it. Archie Miller was hired because nobody wanted it. Mike Woodson was hired because nobody wanted it. The next guy they settle for will be hired because NOBODY wants it. If any of these guys on the list wanted to coach at IU, they would be coaching at IU.

IU Could pay double any of these salary's. They offered Stevens 7 years 70million so 10 million a year.

Eric Mussleman makes 4 million
Bruce Pearl makes less the 4 million
Chris Beard makes 5 million
Tony Bennett makes less then 4 million
Scott Drew less then 4 miilion
Nate Oats less then 4 million
Jay Wright 6 million
Rick Barnes 5 million
Billy Donovan 4 million
Mark Few 2 million
MIKE WOODSON OVER 3 MILLION!!!

I think there’s a reason Lewis left ucla for a HC position in Indiana

I like moye and could be wrong or just being wishful for both.

Either way IU basketball sucks and it’s 1/11/23. Zero excuse, failure top to bottom

Changes must be made at seasons end or things get worse, much worse
There isn’t a single former player that deserves to be coach. Not even close really. I’d rather go Alford than Lewis, and I think Alford is trash.

Suggested this guy during the last coach search after Archie was fired. The teams he's coached teams to 1st or 2nd place finishes in their conferences 9 of the last 12 years.

IU is going to have to offer $10 mil/year to get a quality coach. Obviously Self, Bennett, Few, and Drew aren’t coming. Rick Barnes is old. Danny Hurley is an East Coast guy. No reason for Cronin to leave UCLA. Maybe Oats could be enticed to leave. Musselman is pushing 60. Sean Miller isn’t coming. No Big Ten coach is either. Sampson is out of the question plus he is older than Woodson.

Who are the realistic candidates?
no proven coach wants this job. time to take a flyer on an up and comer. who's coaching army nowadays?

1- Chris Beard

2- Chris Beard

3- Chris Beard

You really cant pick a better candidate, or a better timing.
If we stick with Woodson another year it will be highly dissapointing when I know its inevitable he will be let go.
Seems like a nice guy, but absolutely no way hell be a consistent A+ championship contending coach.

If Woody turns it around and they are successful over next 5-7 years, I would think Dolson will keep the bloodline to Knight alive and hire Lewis (assuming he’s still relative).

If not, the family tree may forever be severed.
Dolson may not be here in 5-7 months given the state of his athletics department. Don’t try to argue about the Title IX and Olympic sports on this. They don’t pay the bills.

Spend the money there are plenty of guys out there. This time it must be a proven guy I dont want a up and coming guy. I would try all these guys till they say no.

1 Brad Stevens
2 Mark Few
3 Scott Drew
4 Billy Donovan
5 Jay Wright
6 Bruce Pearl
7 Nate Oats
8 Eric Mussleman
9 Chris Beard
10 Rick Pitno
11 John Belien
Why would Few ever consider IU? He’s got a better program where he is. Usually top 5 or 10 every season.
Drew, Pearl, Donovan, Beard, and Pitino? What ever happened to the we do things right at IU and run a clean program?
Hopefully IU would not compromise principles and hire any of these guys.
IU has had trouble getting the man they wanted and settled getting Crean, Miller, and Woodson. The program has a brand but outsiders look at it like it is no longer blueblood status. The pressure to succeed is ridiculous and not as appealing as it once was. Coaches at IU are still in Knight’s shadow and it’s been over 20 years.
Get X and RT back and see what happens.
IU fans should probably worry more about next season. If Davis finally leaves, X, RT, are gone, and HoodSchifino goes pro, and in today’s college hoops the inevitable transfer, what does that leave IU?
It’s fixable but the appeal to play at IU takes a hit with what’s going on. Plenty of season left but it might depend on when the guys return.
And opposing coaches are sure to bring up Woodson’s age. Fans are already clamoring for his job and suggesting replacements. That can’t be good for recruiting.
Maybe they can still turn it around.

Last edited:
IU isn't going to hire Scott Drew even if he was a free agent so you can cross him off your realistic get list. Guessing one of Musselman or Oats is at Kentucky next year and the other at Texas.
Why not? Afraid we might be successful?

I assume all of us agree that Woody will be the coach for at least the next two years. But if there were to be a change in the near future, name your top three REALISTIC preferred replacements.

My top 3

1. Scott Drew
- like many I was adamantly against his hiring because of the Hanner Perea incident, but he would check all the boxes for us

2. Eric Mussleman
- total spaz and will eventually leave for the NBA, but would win right away

3. Nate Oats
- I see him as a high risk, high reward candidate

I would love to see Tommy Lloyd, but that's not realistic for him to leave the West Coast. Another unrealistic option is Chris Beard if he were to be cleared of the domestic violence charge.
None of those 3 are realistic.

Reactions: Victorbmyboy
Why would Few ever consider IU? He’s got a better program where he is. Usually top 5 or 10 every season.
Drew, Pearl, Donovan, Beard, and Pitino? What ever happened to the we do things right at IU and run a clean program?
Hopefully IU would not compromise principles and hire any of these guys.
IU has had trouble getting the man they wanted and settled getting Crean, Miller, and Woodson. The program has a brand but outsiders look at it like it is no longer blueblood status. The pressure to succeed is ridiculous and not as appealing as it once was. Coaches at IU are still in Knight’s shadow and it’s been over 20 years.
Get X and RT back and see what happens.
IU fans should probably worry more about next season. If Davis finally leaves, X, RT, are gone, and HoodSchifino goes pro, and in today’s college hoops the inevitable transfer, what does that leave IU?
It’s fixable but the appeal to play at IU takes a hit with what’s going on. Plenty of season left but it might depend on when the guys return.
And opposing coaches are sure to bring up Woodson’s age. Fans are already clamoring for his job and suggesting replacements. That can’t be good for recruiting.
Maybe they can still turn it around.
I think it was a typo on his part.
When he indicated “Few” would come to IU, he meant to say that “very few” would come to IU to burn alive.

on-fire-gif-25.gif

Reactions: kmathum
I could really care less, if our head coach sucks the teat of the AAU coaches in Indiana. Last time I looked there were a lot more hot beds of talent, than the state of Indiana. You can pull talent from the state if you are winning and even if you don't who cares as long as you win. The notion that you have to have home grown talent on your team, in order to win, is ridiculous. Give me players from anywhere. If they come here and do our University proud, then so be it. We have to get over this "has to be an IU guy", "gotta have home grown talent", in order to be a coach. No, you just have to know how to recruit and coach today's game. Period.

Reactions: IUgradman
I could really care less, if our head coach sucks the teat of the AAU coaches in Indiana. Last time I looked there were a lot more hot beds of talent, than the state of Indiana. You can pull talent from the state if you are winning and even if you don't who cares as long as you win. The notion that you have to have home grown talent on your team, in order to win, is ridiculous. Give me players from anywhere. If they come here and do our University proud, then so be it. We have to get over this "has to be an IU guy", "gotta have home grown talent", in order to be a coach. No, you just have to know how to recruit and coach today's game. Period.
You must not be listening. The Alumni and a big section of fans want some homegrown talent. Like a Sisley, Zeller, TJD etc. if those guys went to Ohio state you and everyone else would be pissed screaming about it. If you don’t want those guys then hire Drew. Nobody is saying get all indiana kids.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT