ADVERTISEMENT

I think Painter will leave

GeorgeStrait IU

All-American
Apr 10, 2005
Reneau open for three until Malik can knock a couple down. Thoughts? X has to have his A game for IU to pull the upset. Sparks needs to bring a Durr type impact vs Edey and I would like to see Galloway step up and have a close to Kansas type showing. It will most likely take these four things to happen for the dub. We shall see.

Reneau open for three until Malik can knock a couple down. Thoughts? X has to have his A game for IU to pull the upset. Sparks needs to bring a Durr type impact vs Edey and I would like to see Galloway step up and have a close to Kansas type showing. It will most likely take these four things to happen for the dub. We shall see.
I hope Ware runs Edey up and down the floor to tire him out.

I’d say Trey, X and CJ running off double screens in zoom. Trey did that the whole game against KU. They now have expanded it to include MM. he gets wide open shots from it. Will probably double and push Edey way out with a heavy dose of hedges on the high ball screen. Almost doubling the point. Woody will make everyone else beat us. Probably use 5 fouls on sparks too.

I’d be willing to wager that Edey is more than capable of keeping up with Ware.
Yeah that’s definitely not something Woody will do. Sure get out in transition as much as possible but it’s not to tire him out. You don’t want Edey guarding him out on the floor though.

They're going to post double every time the ball is fed into the paint just like they did last year. And the year before that. They'll also drop cover Edey all night long. The formula to beat Purdue is there. It just comes down to execution.

Ware and Reneau need to pull Edey out of the paint, not necessarily with 3's but even 15-footers will do.

I want to see Galloway complete that tomahawk poster jam that he almost got down last year

when I read the title of this post, I thought pork chop had finally taken that offer in Columbia, Missouri.

TJD was much more of a rim runner than Ware is.

I predict foul trouble will be a huge factor in the game. Just not sure which side will win that battle.

But ultimately I think the game will be won/lost in the backcourt. Need X to be right in the head and Gallo repeat his performance vs Kansas. Love Cupps' effort but this game cannot fall upon his shoulders. Maybe someone like CJ or Walker has a big game.

Reactions: 4IUSox2 and kkott
I think whether Reanu hits 3s or not will have little impact on the game. I think they'll leave Edey in the paint and where possible, he'll just guard whoever of Edey and Reanu stays in the paint and TKR will take whoever is outside. If they can't switch and Edey's man drifts out, he's going to to cheat back towards the paint until/unless they hit some, but I think they'll be pretty fluid in who their bigs guard and will adjust based on who's in and who's out.

Yeah that’s definitely not something Woody will do. Sure get out in transition as much as possible but it’s not to tire him out. You don’t want Edey guarding him out on the floor though.
Keeping Edy out of the paint is in our best interest. He can't guard well in space and earns his keep on bunnies.

The keys will be X/TG/GC on ball defense, whether or not edey is officiated fairly, and hoping someone doesn't have a career night shooting circus threes.

Key to beating Purdue is making 3s at a high percentage and volume - NW hit 50% (10) and Nebraska hit 60% (14). I believe it will come down to that

Last edited:
Keeping Edy out of the paint is in our best interest. He can't guard well in space and earns his keep on bunnies.

The keys will be X/TG/GC on ball defense, whether or not edey is officiated fairly, and hoping someone doesn't have a career night shooting circus threes.
That’s why I said that. I doubt he will. It would open the paint up. I’m betting Purdue packs it in.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo
Painter is going to make us win this game from the arc.

It's at IU so I think the Hoosiers at least hang on in spurts. I'll say Purdue by 17.

I personally don't think Painter runs much of anything different or special against us. They pretty much always drop Edey on screens and any sort of movement...they'll do that for sure. And they know guys like Jones, Gillis, Furst, Morton...are gonna have to be active and aggressive helping on Smith and Loyer's men.

I don't think our team poses much of any special threat against that gameplan. Edey dropping will help clog/help against Malik and Kelel inside. And our perimeter players haven't shown much ability to consistently take advantage of any mismatches. They'll start out in their standard defense, I'm sure.

Kelel and Malik can help things by hitting a few 3's. And then beyond that, it'll be whether we're willing and able to move the ball around, and get decent looks for Malik, Mack, and Kelel in areas they can make shots, and Trey and X need to be aggressive taking the ball to the basket.

Unfortunately this year, we don't have anyone capable of exploiting them the way JHS did last year. So we're going to have to actually create decent looks with movement.

If we run a lot of slow developing, dribble and post ISO stuff...Purdue will win the game by 20, I'm sure.

Reactions: 4IUSox2
Hopefully MM can drive like he did last game and draw fouls or pull up for the mid range aka JHS last yr.

Think we’re starting to see the potential this team has just a matter of consistency… the lobs to ware, MM looking more like a 5* and reneau footwork starting to come together just the lack of a consistent effort is what drives us fans crazy and I think that’s definitely woodys main problem

Reactions: Vern Pain
I personally don't think Painter runs much of anything different or special against us. They pretty much always drop Edey on screens and any sort of movement...they'll do that for sure. And they know guys like Jones, Gillis, Furst, Morton...are gonna have to be active and aggressive helping on Smith and Loyer's men.

I don't think our team poses much of any special threat against that gameplan. Edey dropping will help clog/help against Malik and Kelel inside. And our perimeter players haven't shown much ability to consistently take advantage of any mismatches. They'll start out in their standard defense, I'm sure.

Kelel and Malik can help things by hitting a few 3's. And then beyond that, it'll be whether we're willing and able to move the ball around, and get decent looks for Malik, Mack, and Kelel in areas they can make shots, and Trey and X need to be aggressive taking the ball to the basket.

Unfortunately this year, we don't have anyone capable of exploiting them the way JHS did last year. So we're going to have to actually create decent looks with movement.

If we run a lot of slow developing, dribble and post ISO stuff...Purdue will win the game by 20, I'm sure.
TG showed he can score on drop coverage. He will be used(imho) like he was in the KU game. Trey has some mid range game.

Reactions: IUbball_lifer
The way he has been playing, we only need X to punch a pukie or 3 in the balls and start a brawl! Maybe get a couple of those dirtbags or their retard of a coach to get thrown out! Then we will be set!

Reactions: bsaus
I think it's going to come down to which team hits their threes. I think both teams are going to protect the paint. IU will double down on Edey and PU will drop back in the paint and force IU to prove they can hit 3s.

I would give PU the big advantage if this was at Mackey, given how poorly IU shoots on the road, but given that this is at SSAH, I think IU may get hot. IU will need Trey, X, Cupps and Gunn to be able to hit a few 3s though.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
TG showed he can score on drop coverage. He will be used(imho) like he was in the KU game. Trey has some mid range game.
He does have a fairly reliable floater. That could be a valuable weapon tomorrow night as well, you're right. I just don't think he'll replicate the Kansas performance...IE do it "enough"...like JHS did both games last year against PU, and like he did against KU. We're gonna need Malik, Mack, and Kelel to find spots where they can make plays too.

We've sporadically seen the type of movement and play that would be effective against Purdue...including about half the game against Minny the other night. But we've also seen games where the majority of the play is poor movement, lots of slow ISO stuff, etc... We probably need 30+ minutes of "good offense" tomorrow night, because I don't trust that Trey, or X, or Malik, will be able to ISO ball our way over them...like JHS did last year.

Reactions: FormerRevMatt
He does have a fairly reliable floater. That could be a valuable weapon tomorrow night as well, you're right. I just don't think he'll replicate the Kansas performance...IE do it "enough"...like JHS did both games last year against PU, and like he did against KU. We're gonna need Malik, Mack, and Kelel to find spots where they can make plays too.

We've sporadically seen the type of movement and play that would be effective against Purdue...including about half the game against Minny the other night. But we've also seen games where the majority of the play is poor movement, lots of slow ISO stuff, etc... We probably need 30+ minutes of "good offense" tomorrow night, because I don't trust that Trey, or X, or Malik, will be able to ISO ball our way over them...like JHS did last year.
With their athleticism and ability to shoot the midrange shot (hypothetically, of course), you would think that either X or Gunn should be able to somewhat emulate what JHS did to that drop coverage of Edey from last year.

It probably won't happen, but hypothetically it should work...

I'll add keeping turnovers at 10 or less. And make some damn free throws.

I don’t either. We didn’t have JHS the year before and still nearly pulled off the upset and beat them at there place. JHS wasn’t as big a factor in the first game other than defense. Defense was what won the first game. I expect the same sort of game we have seen in the past. Woody has painters number. He knows how to get the sweet spots regardless. 10 point dog to open. Won’t be a ten point game either way.

I think this game sets up very favorably for Mgbako as he'll probably draw the assignment of Loyer. I'd put Loyer in as many ball screens as possible and force him to switch out on X/Galloway. They'll eventually start to overhelp and should free up some decent looks for MM fading to the 3 point line. NW did this with Boo Buie every time down and Loyer looked like a deer in headlights.

I think this game sets up very favorably for Mgbako as he'll probably draw the assignment of Loyer. I'd put Loyer in as many ball screens as possible and force him to switch out on X/Galloway. They'll eventually start to overhelp and should free up some decent looks for MM fading to the 3 point line. NW did this with Boo Buie every time down and Loyer looked like a deer in headlights.
Woody has been screening for him a lot lately. I agree.

Reactions: Hoosier Clarion
Agree with this...and these sorts of things are exponentially more effective if they happen off side to side ball and player movement. I also think the movement will make it more difficult for them to effectively double team Malik. As has been mentioned in this thread, they're likely going to both dig down on Malik, but also double down on him when he catches the ball in the post. If that's mostly happening after X dribbles the ball for 10 seconds, looks at Malik for 2 seconds, then dumps it down to him...that gives all the Purdue help defenders ample time to assess and react. If the ball is popping from side to side, with player movement, and post opportunities are created off that...Purdue's help defenders will have been moving, reading, adjusting, reacting to other things when Malik catches the ball...making the chances of their help, and further rotations being off and late, being much greater.

Its literally why nearly every coach, analyst I've ever listened to, stresses the importance of ball and player movement, especially making the defense move and guard both sides of the court. And why I get so pissed off when we don't get much of any of it for long stretches.

Reactions: Coach Geez
This is how I would handle both of their guards regardless of who they choose to match up with. Give edey his 25 and make all of them play some defense. This will hwopefully balance out the foul/FT situation was well.

Agree with this...and these sorts of things are exponentially more effective if they happen off side to side ball and player movement. I also think the movement will make it more difficult for them to effectively double team Malik. As has been mentioned in this thread, they're likely going to both dig down on Malik, but also double down on him when he catches the ball in the post. If that's mostly happening after X dribbles the ball for 10 seconds, looks at Malik for 2 seconds, then dumps it down to him...that gives all the Purdue help defenders ample time to assess and react. If the ball is popping from side to side, with player movement, and post opportunities are created off that...Purdue's help defenders will have been moving, reading, adjusting, reacting to other things when Malik catches the ball...making the chances of their help, and further rotations being off and late, being much greater.

Its literally why nearly every coach, analyst I've ever listened to, stresses the importance of ball and player movement, especially making the defense move and guard both sides of the court. And why I get so pissed off when we don't get much of any of it for long stretches.
What you don't like are some of the pro sets/Isolation Woody runs.

Give PU a chance to choke outside of Mackey and they will oblige. Just follow this gameplan, boys:

What you don't like are some of the pro sets/Isolation Woody runs.
I don't mind them, at all, when they come quickly in a possession, or come off player and ball movement.

I HATE them when X, or anyone, dribbles the ball up slowly, dribbles out top for 10 seconds...Malik wrestles his man for position, ending up 12 feet from the basket, then we dump it down to him and space away with little/no movement away from him.

That's 2000's-2010's NBA pro set/movement. No good offense is ran like that any more. The athletes are too big and strong for really anyone to play that way effectively...maybe LeBron or Giannis, but no one else. Even the mighty Zack Edey gets nearly all his post touches off of plays and/or early movement. They hardly ever dribble it down, and just dribble on one side waiting for Edey to setup.

Ware and Reneau need to pull Edey out of the paint, not necessarily with 3's but even 15-footers will do.

I want to see Galloway complete that tomahawk poster jam that he almost got down last year
Edey doesn't come out of the paint .. he gaurds the rim only.

Reactions: stollcpa
Regardless… losing to PU in AH is a big negative for the season … Sparks has 5 fouls to give in low post defense … beating PU would big plus in BiG standings.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT