ADVERTISEMENT

I think Painter will leave

Edey doesn't come out of the paint .. he gaurds the rim only.
This isn’t factual. I’d prefer he did, but he has switched at the top of the key and come out to guard bigs that can shoot threes. It does require a little help at times though to allow him to get caught up defensively though. Should be a good game.

I agree with the guy above. Who can hit the 3 at a better rate wins.

This isn’t factual. I’d prefer he did, but he has switched at the top of the key and come out to guard bigs that can shoot threes. It does require a little help at times though to allow him to get caught up defensively though. Should be a good game.

I agree with the guy above. Who can hit the 3 at a better rate wins.
You mean he didn't drop, ... his issue is the fact that he can't recover from dropping. Doctor Frankenstein didn't build him for speed... But you be you, Mrs Edey ..

Reactions: hookyIU1990
You mean he didn't drop, ... his issue is the fact that he can't recover from dropping. Doctor Frankenstein didn't build him for speed... But you be you, Mrs Edey ..
He has recovered at times. He’s not consistent at getting back though. Not sure what I said makes me Mrs Edey, but ok. Just pointing out that he has and can leave the lane on defense.

Hopefully MM can drive like he did last game and draw fouls or pull up for the mid range aka JHS last yr.

Think we’re starting to see the potential this team has just a matter of consistency… the lobs to ware, MM looking more like a 5* and reneau footwork starting to come together just the lack of a consistent effort is what drives us fans crazy and I think that’s definitely woodys main problem
None of Malik’s lobs have been over King Kong yet

He has recovered at times. He’s not consistent at getting back though. Not sure what I said makes me Mrs Edey, but ok. Just pointing out that he has and can leave the lane on defense.
And let's hope he does

Hasn’t worked for anyone else really. Except Nebraska, who shot unreal.
Just so I understand your post here…Who consistently forced him outside to play defense and how did they do this? why do you think it didn’t work? Interested in why mine is a poor tactic.

I think whether Reanu hits 3s or not will have little impact on the game. I think they'll leave Edey in the paint and where possible, he'll just guard whoever of Edey and Reanu stays in the paint and TKR will take whoever is outside. If they can't switch and Edey's man drifts out, he's going to to cheat back towards the paint until/unless they hit some, but I think they'll be pretty fluid in who their bigs guard and will adjust based on who's in and who's out.
Yeah he will definitely be in the paint. Camping. And never called for it.

Thru out the game.
A bunch would be great. But all that’s needed are a few of them spread throughout the game. Just enough to pull Edey and Furst a couple steps further away from the bucket. It’ll help guys like Gallo and X get all the way to the basket while they’re abusing Smith and Loyer.

when I read the title of this post, I thought pork chop had finally taken that offer in Columbia, Missouri.

TJD was much more of a rim runner than Ware is.

I predict foul trouble will be a huge factor in the game. Just not sure which side will win that battle.

But ultimately I think the game will be won/lost in the backcourt. Need X to be right in the head and Gallo repeat his performance vs Kansas. Love Cupps' effort but this game cannot fall upon his shoulders. Maybe someone like CJ or Walker has a big game.
Or Mac!

Kaufman may guard Ware and Edny MR.
If you picked a particular matchup, that's the pairings I think will be there, but more I think Edey and Kaufman will just switch and Edey will take whoever's in the paint and Kaufman whoever's out. If Edey's guy floats out, he'll follow, but always cheat to the paint.

Reactions: stollcpa
Yeah he will definitely be in the paint. Camping. And never called for it.
I actually think Edey does a good job of getting out of the lane. I think refs give latitude if they see a post player making the effort to get out of the lane and I feel like Edey does that. I do think he catches a huge break from the refs on fouling, and he's constantly knocking guys off their spot, going over the back, etc... and gets away with it because for the most part refs have decided it's not a foul if it doesn't look like a foul. He's so big and strong, it's not as evident that he's bumping a guy and knocking him off his spot or impeding progress, but he does. Unbelievable that a goon who plays so physically gets called for so few fouls. Last game: goes for 30/20 with 1 freakin' foul. Has he ever fouled out of a game?

Last edited:
Reactions: Indyhorn
Just so I understand your post here…Who consistently forced him outside to play defense and how did they do this? why do you think it didn’t work? Interested in why mine is a poor tactic.
A lot of teams have gotten him outside the paint this year defensively. PSU did it most recently.

Where it works best is when the opposing team is shooting 50%+ from three. See Nebraska for details. If getting Edey out of the post consistently works, why is Purdue so good?

Do you disagree with what I said?

Edit: here is game tape of exactly what I have said:

Last edited:
A lot of teams have gotten him outside the paint this year defensively. PSU did it most recently.

Where it works best is when the opposing team is shooting 50%+ from three. See Nebraska for details. If getting Edey out of the post consistently works, why is Purdue so good?

Strongly guess that there's about 10:1 tape of him dropping middle and protecting the paint vs. switching out and guarding on the perimeter.

Also, Penn State doesn't have two guys like Malik and Kelel, that are legit interior scoring threats, and the obvious strength of their team.

I don't have the time to do this, but I could dig up a number of clips from both our games last year, and/or the FDU game, where Edey tried do what this clip shows him doing...and failed miserably. The PSU kid just let him off the hook by not attacking him in any way. I suspect there's some stuff from the NW game too where their guards attacked him and were easily able to make plays.

Strongly guess that there's about 10:1 tape of him dropping middle and protecting the paint vs. switching out and guarding on the perimeter.

Also, Penn State doesn't have two guys like Malik and Kelel, that are legit interior scoring threats, and the obvious strength of their team.

I don't have the time to do this, but I could dig up a number of clips from both our games last year, and/or the FDU game, where Edey tried do what this clip shows him doing...and failed miserably. The PSU kid just let him off the hook by not attacking him in any way. I suspect there's some stuff from the NW game too where their guards attacked him and were easily able to make plays.
Well ya. Last year, you are going to get a very different looking Edey than this year. He’s a much better overall player this year imo.

I don’t disagree that there is plenty of tape this year where he stays in, but there is also tape of him coming out this year. Something he didn’t do last year, which is why it’s irrelevant for this year. I’m just responding to those saying he doesn’t and cannot leave the paint. He can and does, but doesn’t mean I like it.

I think X will be the key to the game. I think he will have a great game tonight and drive the PU guard's crazy with his aggressive play.

Well ya. Last year, you are going to get a very different looking Edey than this year. He’s a much better overall player this year imo.

I don’t disagree that there is plenty of tape this year where he stays in, but there is also tape of him coming out this year. Something he didn’t do last year, which is why it’s irrelevant for this year. I’m just responding to those saying he doesn’t and cannot leave the paint. He can and does, but doesn’t mean I like it.
Well I hope he does it A LOT tonight. I'd love to see him "locking up" Gabe Cupps for long stretches on the perimeter.

He won't against IU though, I'm sure. Edey is the only one on the Purdue roster that can guard either Malik or Kelel 1 on 1 in the post.

If defensive 3 seconds were a thing in college...well they still wouldn't call it on him like they don't offensively...but he'd push that every single possession tonight, I'm betting.

As expected you didn’t answer any of my three questions outside of one clip of him actually guarding in space.

If psu did this often how did they get him to switch/follow a why did it not work? I can give you a hint for both and that has to do with personnel at the 3 and 4 where your team is not as strong.

Well I hope he does it A LOT tonight. I'd love to see him "locking up" Gabe Cupps for long stretches on the perimeter.

He won't against IU though, I'm sure. Edey is the only one on the Purdue roster that can guard either Malik or Kelel 1 on 1 in the post.

If defensive 3 seconds were a thing in college...well they still wouldn't call it on him like they don't offensively...but he'd push that every single possession tonight, I'm betting.
I mean, sure, but if defensive 3 seconds was a think in college, Purdue would have to change their defense entirely. Not sure what you are saying. Kaufman, as long as he stays behind and doesn’t get to aggressive, can probably guard one of the two. I’d guess Purdue will switch a lot defensively.

I mean, sure, but if defensive 3 seconds was a think in college, Purdue would have to change their defense entirely. Not sure what you are saying. Kaufman, as long as he stays behind and doesn’t get to aggressive, can probably guard one of the two. I’d guess Purdue will switch a lot defensively.
I answered all three of your questions. But ok. Not going to argue with you over whether I did or not. Have a good day. No need to derail a good thread with stupid crap.

A huge key tonight is how Edey is officiated.

Pu clearly has an advantage at the five, IU at the four, Toss up at the three and wash at the one and two with pu having better shooting and IU better defenders.

Edy gets his 25+ and the others and the whistle decide the game. 17k loud fans don’t hurt us either.

I think X will be the key to the game. I think he will have a great game tonight and drive the PU guard's crazy with his aggressive play.
I think he could be A key...but not necessarily THE key.

I think THE keys are pretty boring...

1. Guard the 3 point line
2. Rebound
3. Take care of the ball

X can impact all of those things. But we don't need him to dominate them, like he did in Mackey a couple years ago.

This is certainly a game he can heavily influence based on favorable matchups for him. The billion dollar question is which X shows up

Reactions: Bill4411
I think he could be A key...but not necessarily THE key.

I think THE keys are pretty boring...

1. Guard the 3 point line
2. Rebound
3. Take care of the ball

X can impact all of those things. But we don't need him to dominate them, like he did in Mackey a couple years ago.
I think Heide is Purdue’s X factor. He has been getting better each game over the past few. He’s going to be a good player as he develops. If he shows up defensively and can knock down a couple shots, it will go a long way with his athleticism.

Reactions: Bill4411
A huge key tonight is how Edey is officiated.

Pu clearly has an advantage at the five, IU at the four, Toss up at the three and wash at the one and two with pu having better shooting and IU better defenders.

Edy gets his 25+ and the others and the whistle decide the game. 17k loud fans don’t hurt us either.
Edey will get away with the following, like he does every single game...illegal screens, pushing and moving people to get position, and then offensive fouls when he turns and slams his shoulder and elbows in to the defender and pushes them back off their stance...and then plenty of over the backs on rebounds.

What can't happen is IU's bigs getting called for similar things. That's what happened to TJD last year...thankfully it didn't cost us.

But officials should have some awareness about things like this, and if Edey is going to be allowed to play how he does, the IU bigs should get the same leeway. I think, for the most part, officials do have this general awareness and understanding...and its why Purdue fans, and Painter, are always belly aching about Edey not getting calls. Its because there would literally be a foul, both ways, on most possessions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT