ADVERTISEMENT

I have a strategy regarding what Mike Woodson should do against Purdue tonight.

McNutt76

Hall of Famer
Sep 1, 2001
I would love to see him start Sparks, Ware and Reneau up front for one reason: let Sparks use his bulky body to block out Edey for rebounds and play physically against him. Sparks might get into foul trouble, but I really believe it will take a toll on Edey.

What do you guys think about this idea?

Reactions: Bucket Getter
I would love to see him start Sparks, Ware and Reneau up front for one reason: let Sparks use his bulky body to block out Edey for rebounds and play physically against him. Sparks might get into foul trouble, but I really believe it will take a toll on Edey.

Forget it. We need all the offense we can get.

CMW doesn't change unless there is an injury. And if anything he'd likely go small since it worked once before.

Time for Ware to be more than just a shot-blocker and play position defense on Edey. Not saying it will happen, but I'd love to see him make Edey work hard for position before the pass (unlike the first game).

Time for Ware to be more than just a shot-blocker and play position defense on Edey. Not saying it will happen, but I'd love to see him make Edey work hard for position before the pass (unlike the first game).
Ware will be in foul trouble in first 3 minutes

Let's see, so start Sparks against the best most humongous big man in the country because big boy Sparks will show him down? You're talking about the same Sparks who hasn't really been able to guard anyone all year correct? Yeah that's a great idea. I'm crying I'm laughing so hard. Edey would abuse Sparks and draw 5 fouls on him in about ten minutes.

Let's see, so start Sparks against the best most humongous big man in the country because big boy Sparks will show him down? You're talking about the same Sparks who hasn't really been able to guard anyone all year correct? Yeah that's a great idea. I'm crying I'm laughing so hard. Edey would abuse Sparks and draw 5 fouls on him in about ten minutes.
As long as all 5 fouls were hard whacks across his forearms, I’m kinda ok with it. No and 1s though. Make him hit 2 fts. That leaves 30 minutes for Ware to play his arse off.

The lineup w Ware, Reneau n Mgbako is already so bad defensively and so out of touch w how the game is being played it is mindboggling.

Ware has some ball awareness. Reneau is improving, but has miles to go. I’m pretty sure no coach anywhere has ever asked MM to play defense. I love the closeups during games when you can see his eyes. It’s like WTF am I doing here?

Reactions: bbafficionado
Ware is not going to be able to defend Edey or any physical big for that matter. The best thing we can do with Ware is play him in the perimeter and keep Edey out of the paint and work the offensive glass. Purdues strength is rebounding and getting to the foul line. Need to mitigate both.

i Worried that Ware does not have the leg strength.

Reactions: ams66

I wouldn't sit a player that is good at hitting early 3 point shots. That lineup might not be terrible if Ware and Reneau get an early foul and MM needs a blow. I'd rather let Sparks come off the bench early to keep Ware from picking up early fouls.

I thought Ware could front Edey. It puts pressure on players making perfect passes to get the ball inside. Pressure the guards, front the post? Edey might have to actually need to jump and move to get open. I saw smaller players do it to Edey last year in the NCAA.

I'd rather go 1-3-1 and sandwich Edey with Ware and Reneau and take our chances with the 3.

I wouldn't sit a player that is good at hitting early 3 point shots. That lineup might not be terrible if Ware and Reneau get an early foul and MM needs a blow. I'd rather let Sparks come off the bench early to keep Ware from picking up early fouls.

I thought Ware could front Edey. It puts pressure on players making perfect passes to get the ball inside. Pressure the guards, front the post? Edey might have to actually need to jump and move to get open. I saw smaller players do it to Edey last year in the NCAA.
Eddie would just push them out of the way and get a foul called on whoever fronted him. Bucket and 1.

T.M.P.... we are 100 plus in kenpom D. You are saying Reneau guarding 4s and Mgbako guarding 3s is not a liability? I didn't say those 3 arent good players. I am just saying those 3 together on the floor at the same time creates a liability.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT