ADVERTISEMENT

I Don't Understand All The Negativity Towards Woody

IUFANBB

Benchwarmer
Oct 31, 2012
The 3 years prior to Woody coming to IU; we were 51-43; 24-35 (conf) & 0-6 vs Purdue..

In 2.5 years, Woody is 58-31; 25-21 (conf) & 3-1 vs Purdue

He has recruited at a high level - JHS (NBA), MR (NBA talent), Cupps is going to be solid, Ware, MM, JN, etc..

Losing Jakai Newton really killed us this year. We would be a different team with him. Have you seen his tapes?

If everyone comes back (but losing XJ & TG) & we can sign 1-2 stud Grad Student Guards, we can go a long way next year..

The 3 years prior to Woody coming to IU; we were 51-43; 24-35 (conf) & 0-6 vs Purdue..

He has recruited at a high level - JHS (NBA), MR (NBA talent), Cupps is going to be solid, Ware, MM, JN, etc..

Losing Jakai Newton really killed us this year. We would be a different team with him. Have you seen his tapes?

If everyone comes back (but losing XJ & TG) & we can sign 1-2 stud Grad Student Guards, we can go a long way next year..
We won’t have the same front court next year. One or All of MM, KW, and MR will be gone.

Reactions: Bucket Getter
After four years of Archie (that on top of the last few Crean years) some fans are just tired of waiting, tired of watching IU being a mid-to-low average team that misses the tournament or squeaks in only to lose on the first weekend. So Woodson gets less of a honeymoon. It may not be deserved, but that's a part of what I think is happening.

A lot of haters on this board. Plus fans are just tired of mediocrity, fair or not. Woody has certainly done enough to get this year and next. But he will be on a warm seat if we don’t get thing going better by next year.

I want to see an Ncaa Tournament this year
and some noise for a
top 15 team/top 3 B1G next year. That's not asking too much for a year 4, IU coach with $1Million dollar raise.

I want to see an Ncaa Tournament this year
and some noise for a
top 15 team/top 3 B1G next year. That's not asking too much for a year 4, IU coach with $1Million dollar raise.
It's not, but I don't see that next year if we lose the folks people seem to think we will. I don't know, right now the only guy I see ready to leave is Ware, and that's only because I think he'll be a first rounder. Reanu might leave, but I think like TJD, he'd benefit from another year. I don't think he'll be nearly as attractive to the pros as KW is. Sounds like Edey has helped his stock a ton by coming back and I don't know why. Still looks like the same player to me and I don't think his #s are markedly better.

Now, if MR and MM were to both return, and we add McNeeley and maybe a starting PG and another shooter in the portal, then I think we'd have something. Plus, Queen is still out there, right?

If everyone comes back (but losing XJ & TG) & we can sign 1-2 stud Grad Student Guards, we can go a long way next year.
Except that's not what's been rumored and assumed. I definitely think Ware will be gone, as I think he'll be attractive to the NBA. I think MR and MM would both benefit from coming back, but they both have a long way to go defensively and on the glass, where we've not been good and they've contributed mightily to that imo.

So, yes, he's been light years better than Archie but I think fans feel like maybe we've seen the high water mark and that wasn't high enough. I don't see any way he's not here next year unless he steps down and if he keeps MM and MR and maybe adds Queen and a PG and shooter I think he could have a very good team next year, so it's up to him. If he wins, fans will support him.

It's not, but I don't see that next year if we lose the folks people seem to think we will. I don't know, right now the only guy I see ready to leave is Ware, and that's only because I think he'll be a first rounder. Reanu might leave, but I think like TJD, he'd benefit from another year. I don't think he'll be nearly as attractive to the pros as KW is. Sounds like Edey has helped his stock a ton by coming back and I don't know why. Still looks like the same player to me and I don't think his #s are markedly better.

Now, if MR and MM were to both return, and we add McNeeley and maybe a starting PG and another shooter in the portal, then I think we'd have something. Plus, Queen is still out there, right?
Start Galloway MR, McNeely. Need a lot more help. No way Mackdaddy is coming back now. That shot is on full display, and with his height and now driving ability. CCCCCCCYa

After four years of Archie (that on top of the last few Crean years) some fans are just tired of waiting, tired of watching IU being a mid-to-low average team that misses the tournament or squeaks in only to lose on the first weekend. So Woodson gets less of a honeymoon. It may not be deserved, but that's a part of what I thi

After four years of Archie (that on top of the last few Crean years) some fans are just tired of waiting, tired of watching IU being a mid-to-low average team that misses the tournament or squeaks in only to lose on the first weekend. So Woodson gets less of a honeymoon. It may not be deserved, but that's a part of what I think is happening.
Sadly, the honeymoon is over.
Woodson has squandered away opportunities for wins this season.
Poor substitution patterns and roster rotations. Thought Gunn should have received the start tonight.
Lack of a motion style offence, as a player he benefited greatly by it.
Better team discipline and communication would improve defensive rebounding, turnover-assist and free throw mentality.
IU has enough talent, where's the IQ?

the negativity is from the usual malcontents... will never change

Reactions: BattleCreekHoosier
Start Galloway MR, McNeely. Need a lot more help. No way Mackdaddy is coming back now. That shot is on full display, and with his height and now driving ability. CCCCCCCYa
Guessing we're already scoping out likely portal PGs. Prefer to bring them up from recruiting, but Woodson has done pretty well through the portal.

If MR comes back and works on the things he needs to play at the next level (a more versatile mid-range game and more rebounds) he could be league MVP. He requires a double-team now to stop him inside.

63-1

never got over it

Every single game Ware looks like he isn't strong enough for the NBA. He doesn't have a great post game, gives up positioning too easily on defense, and puts the ball down too often.
Shooting wise and size and offensive versatility wise, he is perfect for the NBA, but those other things not so much.

Reactions: 76-1

One of the problems is that when we lose, we often lose ugly. The Nebraska and Rutgers game for instance where we tossed the ball around like a hot potato. Auburn obviously and losing to Kansas after leading most of the game. It's not just the losing it's the way we lose.

Guessing we're already scoping out likely portal PGs. Prefer to bring them up from recruiting, but Woodson has done pretty well through the portal.

If MR comes back and works on the things he needs to play at the next level (a more versatile mid-range game and more rebounds) he could be league MVP. He requires a double-team now to stop him inside.
Portal? Only Ware has really panned out.

He rarely wins on the road. His substitution pattern is as Charles Barkley would say is turrible. He has not improved perimeter defense while touting D as his strength. His teams' overall shooting and free throw shooting is atrocious at best. He seems more sleepy on the sidelines that active in the game. I can see Mgbako,Reneau and Ware all gone at the end of the season because of their efforts not anything of Woodson's merit. He was blessed with TJD being a determined to lead his team guy. I see none of that with this team thus he isn't a good motivator either. You can disagree but it won't change what I see in his leadership or lack thereof. Got rid of the best coach on sidelines--Dane Fife.

Answering the OP, negativity people are casting toward Woodson comes from seeing lost potential with games they should win. Beyond that it's reactionary due to long term mediocrity. The fan base is desperate to see some sustained success.
In my opinion, a bad year in a coaches first few is almost inevitable, but Woodson has not locked down future team building and that makes people concerned too.

He rarely wins on the road. His substitution pattern is as Charles Barkley would say is turrible. He has not improved perimeter defense while touting D as his strength. His teams' overall shooting and free throw shooting is atrocious at best. He seems more sleepy on the sidelines that active in the game. I can see Mgbako,Reneau and Ware all gone at the end of the season because of their efforts not anything of Woodson's merit. He was blessed with TJD being a determined to lead his team guy. I see none of that with this team thus he isn't a good motivator either. You can disagree but it won't change what I see in his leadership or lack thereof. Got rid of the best coach on sidelines--Dane Fife.
You cannot honestly think Fife is a better coach than Thad.

Not sure Walker was much needed. We needed a guard who could play.
Walker is a good fit, proven winner. The injuries to Newton and Johnson hurt guard rotations. Woody left one scholarship open, another guard transfer would have helped. Hind-site 20/20

What's Fife doing these days?

Reactions: Vern Pain
Not sure Walker was much needed. We needed a guard who could play.
You're wrong about Walker. And guards in the portal last year saw 2 starting guards already on our roster. Not as easy as many think to pull quality out of the portal in that scenario.

Reactions: asindc
Answering the OP, negativity people are casting toward Woodson comes from seeing lost potential with games they should win. Beyond that it's reactionary due to long term mediocrity. The fan base is desperate to see some sustained success.
In my opinion, a bad year in a coaches first few is almost inevitable, but Woodson has not locked down future team building and that makes people concerned too.
Good call..

Let’s wait until March, but the way things are shaping up I see a sizeable regression this year with the program (no NCAA’s). His roster construction looks as if he just grabbed a random collection of 4-5 star athletes, with no thought in how to assemble a winning program. Look at someone like Matt Painter to see a coach who doesn’t get many 4-5 star players, but is a master with assembling a winning team.

As for Newton, I highly doubt he would’ve been a difference maker as a freshman. We’ll see what he brings next year.

Edey improved his stock because he lost weight and reduced his body fat substantially. So he improved his stamina, is moving better, fouling less, and playing more minutes. That’s how he improved his draft stock.

Reactions: kkott
While the perimeter defense is suspect at times overall defense measured by points per possession is the best in the Big 10. Our offense while it seems efficient when measured by points per possession has us in 12th in the Big because of the turnovers. I feel this is where our coaching is lacking, it's these fundamentals of rebounding, free throws and turnovers. You can lose one of those battles on any given night and be ok. You can't go on the road and lose all of those and expect to even keep it close

You're in the well this happened .Or the this could happen group.
I'm in the ..No excuses win 24 games. Be a top 10 team . And around a #4 seed in the tournament guy..
That should be every yr at Indiana..
Except Bobby Knight the greatest to ever do it won less than 24 games like 20 of his 30 years. You are either a troll or dumb. Nobody would come here and live up to those standards.

• Love
Reactions: whosyourholydaddy
We won’t have the same front court next year. One or All of MM, KW, and MR will be gone.
I personally think it’s unlikely that all will be gone since Ware, at 22, is the only one currently showing up on draft boards.

Reneau seems like a lock to return with his rebounding numbers and defense. Mgbako has a ways to go to convince the NBA he is worth a draft pick.

Imo it would be at most 2 gone with Mgbako’s replacement already recruited.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT