ADVERTISEMENT

I Don't Understand All The Negativity Towards Woody

Ok. The point is still accurate. Even if you apply win % to a 35 game schedule every year Knight wasn’t close to winning 24+ and top 10 every year. And he is the best coach we have ever had. Saying Woodson should be doing that is stupid.
Accepting what we're getting..Means your fine with being less than average for the see able future.
Damn ..Do even care about Indiana basketball.?

Reactions: salient43
The ROI for IUBB has to be the worst in the country over the last 25 years. Can't think of another program that would approach it.
If the return is wins/losses, then you may be accurate. From a P&L perspective, IU is likely one of the best.

For all of the Woody bashing regarding guards, we forget that there is a coveted four star freshman guard sitting on the bench rehabbing.

Reactions: ams66
This is my stab at it, streams of consciousness:

1) IU Men's basketball means different things to different people. Its a source of (direct) identity for many, or its only part of their lives, and not a direct representation of who they are on a daily basis.

Consequently, the results of the team have varying impacts. And the sense of pain is commonly redirected too.

2) Most of us have never been in the business of sports administration. Yet we seem to think its quite obvious what choices one makes, especially when you are blessed with a fantastic set of 20/20 hindsight vision. There are lots of amateur ADs here.

People here also tend to look at things as line item, when most don't look at it in their totality like in a spreadsheet. (Changes in one line item affect the links in the others and then possibly the bottom line.).

Choices are made based on multiple factors, from availability to budgets, personal chemistry to external factors, etc.

We just don't know, and considering that 100% of us here have never been ADs, we need the humility (or self-awareness) to know that ADs are generally smart people but sometimes have to make tough, non-obvious choices and decisions.

3) Many here have predisposed choices. So they will look for any hiccups to justify their own choices and illustrate their basketball intelligence or just plain bias. But hey, it's a forum; its all about opinions. So its generally best not to get too worked up about differing opinions.

4) We seem to be in an age of people afflicted with having only short-term memories. Whether its in the water or in society in general due to social media, I don't know.

As a result, people get triggered or forget that life isn't linear.

From my perspective, considering where we have been during the Archie Years, where I can barely remember any highlights, the current Woodie regime is a 100% upgrade. So he has earned credit in the bank, as far as I am concerned. I had said as far back as June that we have six new players who have to learn to play together. And it may not take till the end of January until it gets sorted out.

We need to have a good sense of history too, whether its in basketball, buying a car, or even politics. Then we have a better sense of perspective.

5) Considering Woodie's age, I have always had the suspicion that he was Dolson's short-term floatation device -- to stop the sinking of the programme -- arrest our obvious spiral into irrelevance.

The kids we are trying to recruit today would not have known of IU's national prominence. Hell, their parents were barely alive when we last won the last banner.

The idea of someone linked to our glorious past leading the club makes for a great story in the press and marketing. And with Woodie's NBA background, it would certainly help bringing in top recruits.

But at his age with his diminishing physical abilities, especially after a 20-year NBA career, how long can he last physically? The life of a D1 coach is pretty hectic.

This is why my theory is that Dolson is using Woodie as both a marketing tool as well as a short-term basketball solution. His role is to bring IU basketball back to national relevance, which he is doing. (Also explains the pre-season schedules.)

That's why my expectations of Woodie are more flexible than some here.
Brian Evans made an interesting comment, I think it was on JMV, regarding Woody. He literally wasn’t being courted by anyone, college or pro, as a head coach. I can’t believe he was the top target when the search began. If you believe the rumors, Dolson was pretty certain he had Stevens up until he didn’t. Not sure if Woody was a panic answer to that, but it was a roll of the dice to hire a guy who had never coached or recruited at the college level. My biggest gripe with Woodson is that he didn’t seem to establish a culture when he arrived. We are 2+ years into his tenure and I still don’t know what our culture is. Best I can tell is acquire as many “stars” as you can and go from there. Our defense has gotten worse each year, we have yet to get a good shooting guard, and we run an
You never know. It could be that Fife’s family likes Bloomington and doesn’t want to leave for now.

There was a rumor floated that Stevens wanted to come to IU three years ago but his wife and kids absolutely did not want to leave Boston. I’m not saying I think it’s true, just saying it was going around.
I heard the same rumor re Stevens. He and his wife were in, but the kids didn’t want to leave basically the only life they have known up in Boston. I think Dolson was pretty certain they had him, until they didn’t. Woody may have been a panic response to pacify the former players.

Beard needs to be the next coach here IMO

Reactions: Tegray1 and iulb
If the return is wins/losses, then you may be accurate. From a P&L perspective, IU is likely one of the best.
Yea, any search for most profitable and/or valuable programs and the lists almost always have IU top-5. That’s incredible given the last 25 years. If we won like a top-15 program we would be even bigger given how fired up our fans and donors would get.

Believe it or not for some, IUBB is big and we can outspend most programs. I guess my optimism lies in that we have so much going for us, we just need someone to take advantage of it. IUBB is a Ferrari (or Red Bull or Corvette or Tesla Plaid or whatever fast car you like), we just need a decent driver.

Reactions: Al Bino
It's just made up from morons on here that didn't want Woody in the first place and are rooting for him to fail.

Sad doesn't even begin to describe it.
Did you honestly watch the Rutgers game? Bad, and I mean team history bad in every possible facet--including culture and the weak post game presser. That game was played as though we haven't had a coach all year.

Love Woody as a player and was excited for him to be here. Have been completely rooting for success but Rutgers was a telling moment and Minny wasn't exactly a turnaround. TJD clearly added an illusion of progress to this "system" and its results.

24/35 =68.5%
Knights all time winning % is 70.9.
Lol now do each season’s win %. Wowzers people are dumb.

By my count he had 11 season under 68.5% wins. So 11 seasons under 24 wins or 1/3 of his career. That’s not even counting the years outside of the top 10.

By you knuckleheads metrics we should have fires Knight.

Accepting what we're getting..Means your fine with being less than average for the see able future.
I accept that Woody exceeded my expectations through 2 years. We are not at the ceiling I would like but I never expected that would happen in his first 3 years.

Say I don't "accept" what IU offers right now. What should I be doing? Personally, the only thing I can think to do is hope this team starts to play the way I believe it's capable for the remainder of this season. Beyond that, I'll hope that Woody brings some pieces in this off season that shore up some of the current weaknesses.

What to do ...

I said at the beginning of the season that if CMW couldn't get this team in the top four of the BT then maybe he isn't the guy. Since then, it appears to be trending the wrong way.

Three five stars and what three four stars and IU is hurting for a high quality win! REALLY! At times, IU plays like it is a pickup game at HYPER. One game excessive turnovers. The next game terrible D. Ubiquitous poor FT shooting and TERRIBLE three point D. There doesn't appear to be a single phase of the game that this team can hang it's hat on.

And the losses this yea they have had to good teams have been blow outs except for Kansas at home. I think a telling stat is what my son sent me regarding 15+ point losses.
8 for Crean in his last three years.
12 for Archie in his last three years.
The Nebraska game brings CMW to 14 in his 2 1/2 years. Damn.

So, IU isn't just losing, they are losing BIG.

If this team doesn't make the tourney, I believe a long talk needs to happen with CMW and "encourage" him to retire and rest that back.

By my count he had 11 season under 68.5% wins. So 11 seasons under 24 wins or 1/3 of his career. That’s not even counting the years outside of the top 10.

Why? Because I disproved your point so you want to move goal posts. Sorry the statistics don’t fit your narrative.

Cupps, Leal, Galloway, Gunn...actually 4.
Ahh I missed the word "not" in your post. Don't forget X

The one we do have rehabbing is likely going to be better than all of those (and I love TG and believe Cupps has a very high ceiling)

Ahh I missed the word "not" in your post. Don't forget X

The one we do have rehabbing is likely going to be better than all of those (and I love TG and believe Cupps has a very high ceiling)
I hadn't thought of X, looked him up and he was a 3 almost 4 I guess (per 247--just googled). I kind of figured he started lower and got better in college -- hopefully he'll cap the regression now.

Reactions: Courtsensetwo

Have you heard of the transfer portal?
Hopefully Woody will be entering soon.

I didn’t ask him. He probably doesn’t need to for a while. He made well over 300k a year for a while at MSU and however much of his 375k he got while here.
Just wondered. $375,000 don’t last long when you’re used to making the money he’s been making.

Whatever Fife did, I wished he hadn’t. But I don’t think Woodson would take advice from Fife, Matta nor anyone else sitting on the bench.

I think he’s confident he how’s he doing things. I think he’s stubborn just like I am stubborn.

We will see how things go this year and next. I’ll be thrilled to eat crow if we get in the Dance this year and make Elite 8 run next year.

Reactions: bbafficionado
Just wondered. $375,000 don’t last long when you’re used to making the money he’s been making.

Whatever Fife did, I wished he hadn’t. But I don’t think Woodson would take advice from Fife, Matta nor anyone else sitting on the bench.

I think he’s confident he how’s he doing things. I think he’s stubborn just like I am stubborn.

We will see how things go this year and next. I’ll be thrilled to eat crow if we get in the Dance this year and make Elite 8 run next year.
He’s smarter than that. He could easily go five years without working.

What?

If we’re talking one year of salary, no. He made north of 300k for several years.
He may very well have banked a lot of his salary.

I’ve seen many people over the years suddenly make more income than they ever dreamed. Most assumed they’d continue to live as they had and bank much of the increased income.

Needs and wants became one and the same and their spending habits rose with their new income levels. Result was they didn’t save like they thought they would.

I can admit to some of that myself. I did really well saving until I watched my brother die in his thirties and I nearly (should have) died myself.

Huh...
Gezz..Tournament this yr. Or a run to an elite 8 next..
You must be petting a unicorn in the back yard .
Complete fantasy ~

Reactions: GThomas
Huh...
Gezz..Tournament this yr. Or a run to an elite 8 next..
You must be petting a unicorn in the back yard .
Complete fantasy ~
I didn’t say that was happening. I said I’d gladly eat crow if it did. I am not worried about finding a recipe for fried crow. 🐦‍⬛

• Haha
Reactions: IUINSB
trust me, you won't hear much from Aloha today. Or Kraft, or any of the sunshine boys. They only come out and play on bright sunny days. Today is not such a day.
Hard to puff out your chest and tell folks not to get too low or too high when Purdue whips us in Bloomington- perhaps the cynics are correct-Woodson is a sub average college coach.

Hard to puff out your chest and tell folks not to get too low or too high when Purdue whips us in Bloomington- perhaps the cynics are correct-Woodson is a sub average college coach.
I will state the following while acknowledging- the season is only half over, and much can change. And I really hope they do.

That said, I figured this would be a disappointing season when we were not beating east Cupcake Us by 20+ at home like IU has done for the past fifty years. I thought the somewhat weak B1G might help us, and it still can, but aside from the Kansas game, we have looked severely overmatched against every other Q1 opponent. That's why I don't get too fired up over a 10 pt win at home vs a mediocre Minnesota team.

Hoping they can bounce back but next game is to be played inside IU's personal hellscape...Kohl Center.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT