ADVERTISEMENT

How should history be taught in high school?

More about this point. While not directly related to the OP, I think this reflects a broader view of life in general.

You say “buck up”. My response is that is exactly what I have done in this thread. I don’t accept the negative bias in the OP as persuasive. Life indeed includes negativity. But life doesn’t include negativity that is created through cherry picking negative aspects of history.

Statistics are pretty clear that liberals see life more negatively than conservatives. The OP is an example of that.

you want to alter World History curriculum because you found a a few articles quoting research that suggests conservatives are happier than liberals. weird.

turning this into a political discussion? on par but also weird.

you want to alter World History curriculum because you found a a few articles quoting research that suggests conservatives are happier than liberals. weird.

I think it is a political discussion in many ways. Is it not unlike CRT? I have to agree with @twenty02 and I’m sure @BradStevens that it’s just a question of timing. I studied crt in grad school tho it was more critical legal studies. Same shit. You can teach how these institutions operate and function and the purpose behind same without bringing in who was left out of the creation of same and the deleterious impact of the exclusion of same on certain races and how that may have led to systemic exclusion and racism etc. 14 yr olds just need the bones. Save the rest for when they’re older and better suited to filter and evaluate and will likely have a better teacher. I really don’t want the sub at my kid’s jr high school who delivers pizzas on the side at IMO’s drifting off course. But I am all for it a little later where the kid is more mature and discerning and the teacher is more likely to be a bit more polished

Last edited:
I think it is a political discussion in many ways. Is it not unlike CRT? I have to agree with @twenty02 and I’m sure @BradStevens that it’s just a question of timing. I studied crt in grad school tho it was more critical legal studies. Same shit. You can teach how these institutions operate and function and the purpose behind same without bringing in who was left out of the creation of same and the deleterious impact of the exclusion of same on certain races and how that may have led to systemic exclusion and racism etc. 14 yr olds just need the bones. Save the rest for when they’re older and better suited to filter and evaluate and will likely have a better teacher. I really don’t want the sub at my kid’s jr high school who delivers pizzas on the side at IMO’s drifting off course. But I am all for it a little later where the kid is more mature and discerning and the teacher is more likely to be a bit more polished
Wait a darn minute here! Coach Beulah Balbricker from Porkys is one of the most esteemed educators in all of film, and you appear to exclude her prodigious abilities to teaching young children from any discussion on interpretive history studies??

What sad times are these where message board inhabitants rule out our finest Teachers without even a whiff of due process!

Wait a darn minute here! Coach Beulah Balbricker from Porkys is one of the most esteemed educators in all of film, and you appear to exclude her prodigious abilities to teaching young children from any discussion on interpretive history studies??

What sad times are these where message board inhabitants rule out our finest Teachers without even a whiff of due process!
You want to know what sad times these are. Took my daughter back to school shopping alllllllllllllll day yesterday. As god as my witness she comes out of a shoe store with two boxes. I wait outside always on my phone. She hands me the bag so I look in. Some sort of flat uggs. Whatever. Adidas box. Open it up. And it is fcking black sambas! I about fell out of my chair. She said kids are wearing them again

You want to know what sad times these are. Took my daughter back to school shopping alllllllllllllll day yesterday. As god as my witness she comes out of a shoe store with two boxes. I wait outside always on my phone. She hands me the bag so I look in. Some sort of flat uggs. Whatever. Adidas box. Open it up. And it is fcking black sambas! I about fell out of my chair. She said kids are wearing them again
Wow. Buy her more stuff bro. She's earned my respect

Oh and I’ll add, brace yourself, NB GRILLERZ are not just for @hookyIU1990 and The Dream Team. Whole line of new N shoes the kids are wearing. They leave off the B. AND. AND. They wear white socks with their sandals and N and sambas etc. Troubling times
I think white crew socks with black soccer slides look fine.

Not all agree.

I think white crew socks with black soccer slides look fine.

Not all agree.
I’m just amazed and fascinated by how some products take on a life of their own. No bullshit I’ve played well in excess of a thousand indoor games wearing Sambas and gazelles. These aren’t comfy shoes. They’re pieces of shit really. Not at all comfy like all the Nike or adidas cloud type tennies. And I don’t see the fashion either. But what do I know.

My son is starting his freshman year at the local, progressive public school. His required history course is World History.

I post this to get general discussion about whether this is the right concept of history to be taught to freshman (14-year-olds), and specific discussion about this course, and if it seems geared towards reaching a particular political viewpoint (not Dem v. Rep, but progressive v. anything else).

For me, I think the course description is designed to reach a progressive view of the world (and maybe an illiberal one, at that) and that this is too much historiography and too little actual history for 14-year-olds. Contra the course description, I actually do want my freshman to learn as much about the history of the world as you can pack into 176 days--he and his classmates haven't learned that yet, so they have nothing to "unlearn." I'm already looking for supplementation (if anyone has any they could recommend, that would be great).

Here's the description of the course from the syllabus (all emphasis in the original):

COURSE DESCRIPTION

The focus on this course is not to learn as much as we can about as much of the history of the world as we can fit into 176 school days. Rather, this course offers a narrower focus, on that synthesizes select historical periods, themes, and ideas throughout human history in an attempt to craft an argument. Because that's what history is: an argument about the past. And to engage in an earnest study of World History requires us to ask historical questions -- questions to which there are no "answers," only evidence-based arguments.

In World History A, we will explore a number of essential questions that will guide our units of study, both in what we ask you to consume as budding historians (readings, film, art, music, and other modes of expression) and in how we assess you throughout the year. These questions may include:

1. Why and for whom does history matter?
2. How do we know what we know about the world and can we trust it?
3. What are the origins of inequality?
4. To what extend did religions and empires improve human life?
5. How did religion, trade, and empire unify the Old World System?
6. How should the early American empires be remembered? What story should be told about their historical significance?
7. How important was the European Age of Exploration? How much changed as a result?
8. How "enlightening" was the Enlightenment? To what extent did the Haitian Revolution challenge the global order?
9. Is progress inherently good? What were the global impacts of industrialization, imperialism, and nationalism?
10. How and why did liberal democracy decline in Germany after World War I? How and why did the Holocaust happen? Why did war (World War II) break out in the Pacific?
11. How and why did anti-colonial movements succeed in the post-war era?

In answering these questions--and these are just the ones we've come up with; you'll be creating questions of your own!--we will challenge some of our own preconceived notions about the history of the world --to unlearn some of what we have learned in hopes of broadening our perspective, deepening our fund of knowledge, and enhancing our critical thinking skills.

COURSE OUTLINE

Semester 1

Unit 1: Introduction to World History/Perspectives in World History
Unit 2: Agricultural Revolution
Unit 3: Collective Myths: Empire in the Ancient World
Unit 4: Empires in the Old World
Unit 5: Empire in the Americas

Semester 2

Unit 6: Global System and the Rise of the West
Unit 7: Egalite for all? Enlightenment and Revolution in the Atlantic World
Untie 8: The Paradox of Progress: The Industrial Revolution, Imperialism, and World War I
Unit 9: World War II and the Holocaust
Unit 10: Decolonization Movements
Short version - I am the author. I am the history God. You will not learn history - you will learn what I think.

Screw them.

History has a flow. Hop on and ride.

Reactions: NPT and jet812
Back to OP.

Let me post some alternative questions and focus regarding world/human history that a course might explore:

1. Is human flourishing contingent upon the society or civilization one is raised in?

2. Do certain societies/civilizations tend to lead to more or less human flourishing?
If the answer is yes, what characteristics, if any, do those civilizations share? How have civilizations/societies passed down their cultures and practices through time?

3. What does human progress look like? Has there been a straight line growth from the dawn of time?

4. Why do civilations/societies cease to exist?

5. Why did the Age of Enlightenment occur in Western Europe and not elsewhere?

6. How did Western Civilization become the dominant one in world affairs?

7. Why has democracy never flourished in China?

8. Why and how did Europe colonize the Western Hemisphere?

9. Does every society have a tension between rulers and the ruled? Do all have hierarchical structures and, if so, do the dynamics differ between societies? Compare and contrast.

10. What role has religion played in societies and civilizations?

All this and more while teaching a broad survey course of history, with no ideological bent towards anti-colonialism and oppressor v oppressed ideology.

Is that too “conservative?” Do those questions have baked into them biases and assumptions that we’d prefer kids not learn?

Reactions: jet812 and 76-1
I’m just amazed and fascinated by how some products take on a life of their own. No bullshit I’ve played well in excess of a thousand indoor games wearing Sambas and gazelles. These aren’t comfy shoes. They’re pieces of shit really. Not at all comfy like all the Nike or adidas cloud type tennies. And I don’t see the fashion either. But what do I knsambar.
It seemed like every third kid in California under the age of 25 was wearing white sambas. Not sure if I only noticed because of the conversation here a few weeks ago or not, but damn

Better than crocs
Meaning GIF

Remember @hookyIU1990 in the storied history of The Dream Team is the only member to EVER be accepted on a picture alone. Safari hat. Tube socks. NB Grillerz. Carefully inspecting a vintage plane. Fully capable of flying it in an emergency. Just sorting it out on instinct
I think that dude had one of those photographers vests with all the pockets too.

Dead

No. That’s why you want to alter world history.

Reactions: NPT and jet812
Back to OP.

Let me post some alternative questions and focus regarding world/human history that a course might explore:

1. Is human flourishing contingent upon the society or civilization one is raised in?

2. Do certain societies/civilizations tend to lead to more or less human flourishing?
If the answer is yes, what characteristics, if any, do those civilizations share? How have civilizations/societies passed down their cultures and practices through time?

3. What does human progress look like? Has there been a straight line growth from the dawn of time?

9. Does every society have a tension between rulers and the ruled? Do all have hierarchical structures and, if so, do the dynamics differ between societies? Compare and contrast.

All this and more while teaching a broad survey course of history, with no ideological bent towards anti-colonialism and oppressor v oppressed ideology.

Is that too “conservative?” Do those questions have baked into them biases and assumptions that we’d prefer kids not learn?
Back to OP.

Are we taking an exam for you?

1) Define "human flourishing". We tend to think of it FAR to much in economic terms. One can be a billionaire and completely a waste.

Depends on answer to 1). But a question may be, is it necessary to hand down cultures and practices? If they serve a purpose, they serve a purpose. Handing down something negative or useless just because it is traditional isn't good.

Again, define progress? Is it economic, technological, philosophical, rights? But no, none have been straight lines. There are regressions and pauses then remarkable leaps. A buddy who firmly believed it was proof aliens were guiding humanity.

As far as we know, all living organisms die.

Not at the same time, but look up the Golden Age of Islam. It was before our enlightenment and very similar. They just entered their dark ages after. See regressions and pauses above.

Food production, guns germs and steel

It isn't valued as deeply as serving a greater whole.

Why? Resources. How? Guns, Germs, and Steel.

I haven't studied every society. Any large organization has tension, so probably. Look at American corporations as an example

It has played a major role and I think represents a large reason for the answer on China.

Back to OP.

Without being flippant, I’d say that the answer to all 10 questions, except #8, fundamentally has to do with how, and to what extent, does the sovereign authority recognize and respect natural rights in human beings. The success and sustainability of nations and cultures begins with recognizing certain inalienable rights.

Back to OP.

Fvck me. This is freshman world history we're talking about. Let the kid learn what a high school freshman is supposed to learn, not what is expected in a 300 level college seminar. Don't ruin it for him.

Fvck me. This is freshman world history we're talking about. Let the kid learn what a high school freshman is supposed to learn, not what is expected in a 300 level college seminar. Don't ruin it for him.
Good point. One of the joys of learning Marxist critique in grad school is finding out how everyone lied to you when you were younger. It's only fun because it's subversive. I would hate to have learned about stuff like that as a teenager.

Without being flippant, I’d say that the answer to all 10 questions, except #8, fundamentally has to do with how, and to what extent, does the sovereign authority recognize and respect natural rights in human beings. The success and sustainability of nations and cultures begins with recognizing certain inalienable rights.
Ancient Egyptian civilization existed for over 1000 years. I could go on.

Back to OP.

Yes, but with a caveat. A society properly structured is necessary, but not sufficient. You also need resources, etc.

Obviously, in practice, some civilizations have been more successful than others, but I doubt they share any core set of characteristics. That said, the full answer to these first couple of questions has to wait until I get to point 10.

I'm not sure what #3 is really asking, but as for #4, I doubt there is a universal theme. A lot of reasons for a civilization to collapse might be properly categorized as unfortunate disaster, such as a disease, while others might come down to mistakes made by members of that civilization. Still other reasons might include a clash with other civilizations.

I don't grant the premise.

Right combination of technology and resources at the right time.

I guess that depends on the ways in which you think democracy in China is lacking. I mean, there are many ways, but exactly how you are defining China's shortfall changes the answer. For example, if you're just noting that China has never really been a free society, well, that's no big surprise, because for most of the time China existed, no one was free anywhere. If you're talking about the form of governance China currently uses on a national level, then technically it is democratic. If you're talking about the fact that the modern government of China has become more autocratic in a world where many nations have moved toward more liberal democracy, then I guess it's probably because the communists won the civil war.

Mostly for money. For the how, see #6 above.

Taking these together, and also capping off the answers to the first two questions at the top, there's very good evidence through many forms of research (archaeological, historical, anthropological), and the answer is basically yes to #9, and that religion has been a key driver to this, and in addition, that these social forces drive success in early civilizations.

Basically, the only successful ancient civilizations that we know about all have highly stratified societies centered around some sort of state mythic cult, usually in the form of a god-king, or something similar. Anthropological evidence of prehistorical sites also generally show a near perfect correlation between settlements that display evidence of a social hierarchy and some form of ritual practice and settlements that also display a relatively high level of development. In other words, egalitarian societies stayed hunter-gatherer, while highly stratified societies with complex religious rites gave us the world's first cities, and eventually Egypt, China, Indus Valley, Inca, Aztecs, Greece, and so on and so forth.

Reactions: Mark Milton
Yes, but with a caveat. A society properly structured is necessary, but not sufficient. You also need resources, etc.

Obviously, in practice, some civilizations have been more successful than others, but I doubt they share any core set of characteristics. That said, the full answer to these first couple of questions has to wait until I get to point 10.

I'm not sure what #3 is really asking, but as for #4, I doubt there is a universal theme. A lot of reasons for a civilization to collapse might be properly categorized as unfortunate disaster, such as a disease, while others might come down to mistakes made by members of that civilization. Still other reasons might include a clash with other civilizations.

I don't grant the premise.

Right combination of technology and resources at the right time.

I guess that depends on the ways in which you think democracy in China is lacking. I mean, there are many ways, but exactly how you are defining China's shortfall changes the answer. For example, if you're just noting that China has never really been a free society, well, that's no big surprise, because for most of the time China existed, no one was free anywhere. If you're talking about the form of governance China currently uses on a national level, then technically it is democratic. If you're talking about the fact that the modern government of China has become more autocratic in a world where many nations have moved toward more liberal democracy, then I guess it's probably because the communists won the civil war.

Mostly for money. For the how, see #6 above.

Taking these together, and also capping off the answers to the first two questions at the top, there's very good evidence through many forms of research (archaeological, historical, anthropological), and the answer is basically yes to #9, and that religion has been a key driver to this, and in addition, that these social forces drive success in early civilizations.

Basically, the only successful ancient civilizations that we know about all have highly stratified societies centered around some sort of state mythic cult, usually in the form of a god-king, or something similar. Anthropological evidence of prehistorical sites also generally show a near perfect correlation between settlements that display evidence of a social hierarchy and some form of ritual practice and settlements that also display a relatively high level of development. In other words, egalitarian societies stayed hunter-gatherer, while highly stratified societies with complex religious rites gave us the world's first cities, and eventually Egypt, China, Indus Valley, Inca, Aztecs, Greece, and so on and so forth.
To clarify, I didn't post those questions looking for answers; I posted them as alternatives to the syllabus of my kid's class. For those questions, I'd love to see at least two arguments presented for an answer to each one.

I'm also asking if those aren't more relevant types of questions to ask for a freshman world history course and whether they have an undue "conservative" or "Western" bias.

To clarify, I didn't post those questions looking for answers; I posted them as alternatives to the syllabus of my kid's class. For those questions, I'd love to see at least two arguments presented for an answer to each one.

I'm also asking if those aren't more relevant types of questions to ask for a freshman world history course and whether they have an undue "conservative" or "Western" bias.
Don't post a quiz if you don't want us to take it!

Taken together they seem to be, "western civilization is superior, explain why."

Taken together they seem to be, "western civilization is superior, explain why."
I think we really need to ask ourselves what the purpose of compulsory schooling is. Is it:

1. To make kids into good citizens?
2. To make kids into productive workers?
3. To make kids into proficient thinkers?
4. Something else?

If it's #1, then maybe teaching them that our civilization is the best one, and let's talk about why, is the smart way to go.

Reactions: BradStevens
I think we really need to ask ourselves what the purpose of compulsory schooling is. Is it:

4. Something else?

If it's #1, then maybe teaching them that our civilization is the best one, and let's talk about why, is the smart way to go.
I'd say it's 1-3 together (although I think a good citizen could include 2 and 3).

1-3

4. Something else?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT