ADVERTISEMENT

How should history be taught in high school?

I think the loose stuff is stronger. Kodiak made my lip numb. I think if I did it today, I'd probably get stoned.
Copenhagen was the super super fine shit. Now that I’m thinking about it I think hawken wasn’t puches but was way thicker and not nearly as potent

Great idea!

Brad, look into the Rivals "sidecar" account (sometimes mistakenly called a spouse account). Ties it to yours so you can view his activity and posts while blocking him from accessing yours.
This is a great idea. @BradStevens sign up the kid. His grades might slip, but he’ll be getting tons of ass and be a Bitcoiner. And he needs Bitcoin because your communist ass isn’t giving him anything.

1st lesson for Brad Jr. 👇

Last edited:
The rumor was that Copenhagen had finely shredded fiberglass in it so you would get tiny cuts on your cheek and gums. That was somehow a good thing since you'd absorb it faster.

#morons
Oh, yeah, I remember those rumors. Sounds ridiculous, but everything we know about the tobacco industry now...🤷‍♂️

Jesus Christ, now I'm starting to remember weekends that somehow involved dip and southern comfort and a pool, and I don't understand how any of us are still alive.

I guess you really are invincible when you're 17.
That's a topic of conversation every time I get together with high school buddies...HTF are we all still alive?

Goddammit, now you people have me remembering just how stupid high school was. We invited this one girl to one of our parties, and we were all sure she had AIDS because she was a slut, and our buddy took her into the changing room by the pool, and so what did we do? Remind him to grab a rubber? Congratulate him on getting laid? No. We searched the house for fireworks, and bundled them all up and set them off all at once outside the door to ruin their sex.

I'm really losing faith in humanity right now.

It's just straight up gross as hell. First time I ever did dip, it was stolen. Friends and I were walking through Wal-Mart, and that was back when you could grab your own tobacco products, and my dude had this system where he'd grab two cans, and then we'd go shopping, and he'd open one of them, then on the way out, he'd put the other one back. It was stupid as hell, but he got away with it.

Anyway, we left the building, and we dipped while we were walking through the parking lot. Behind the buildings, another buddy made us stop for a minute, "I dipped too much, hold up," and threw up all over the pavement for miles.

The second time I dipped probably wasn't for five or ten years after that. By that time, it was with a fellow adult, and it was simply a way to get tobacco in a non-smoking apartment while playing WOW. Still gross, though, and I stopped almost immediately.
All of my Rivals ads are for Wal-Mart now. F*ck you, AI.

Goddammit, now you people have me remembering just how stupid high school was. We invited this one girl to one of our parties, and we were all sure she had AIDS because she was a slut, and our buddy took her into the changing room by the pool, and so what did we do? Remind him to grab a rubber? Congratulate him on getting laid? No. We searched the house for fireworks, and bundled them all up and set them off all at once outside the door to ruin their sex.

Fing frightening. There was one chick in our extended group that a prosthetic leg. She’d get all fckd up and pass out and people would take that leg off. It had like a release mechanism. Then forget where it got left. Poor girl would be sloppy drunk in the middle of a party screaming FIND MY FCKING LEG!!!!

As a father of an exceptionally outgoing daughter I’m praying kids today aren’t as wild. And honestly I don’t think they are. I hope

Fing frightening. There was one chick in our extended group that a prosthetic leg. She’d get all fckd up and pass out and people would take that leg off. It had like a release mechanism. Then forget where it got left. Poor girl would be sloppy drunk in the middle of a party screaming FIND MY FCKING LEG!!!!

As a father of an exceptionally outgoing daughter I’m praying kids today aren’t as wild. And honestly I don’t think they are. I hope
My parents were really cool in the sense that the only thing they demanded of me was that I never drive home drunk. If we partied, I had to sleep it off and come home in the morning.

One time I walked in at like 11 AM on a Saturday, and my dad looked at me, and simply said, "You sure have a lot of mustard in your hair."

Also, I'm no parent, and I probably shouldn't be, but my read is that, no, they aren't as wild as we were. Kids today are total squares. They might be far more open with whom they have sex with, but other than that, they are pretty boring.

Also, I'm no parent, and I probably shouldn't be, but my read is that, no, they aren't as wild as we were. Kids today are total squares. They might be far more open with whom they have sex with, but other than that, they are pretty boring.
That is my impression so far

Probable the ways one sees, military dominance, was explained in Guns, Germs, and Steel. But I am not convinced we are looking at the right data. Islam had a huge lead in its golden age. China is rapidly gaining in the modern age. And China made great inventions in their ancient days. I think cultures ebb and flow. To declare the West victors because we like the results from 1800 to present doesn't seem to take the long view. Let me add a question, if western culture is superior, why did Rome and Greece fall never to return in any effective manner sending the entire West into dark ages.
It hasn't always been superior. You're correct, that at times China's was superior or Islam. But it undeniably is now. To the extent China is gaining, it is because it has adopted Western notions of science and industrialization. Heck, even communism is a product of the West.

Re Guns, Germs, and Steel, I've never read it but understand the premise.

Losing faith? That story restores my faith.

Not sure how you and your buddies could have been so stupid about her having AIDS though. Everyone in the '80s knew only gay dudes could get AIDS. Heteros were completely immune.

Losing faith? That story restores my faith.

Not sure how you and your buddies could have been so stupid about her having AIDS though. Everyone in the '80s knew only gay dudes could get AIDS. Heteros were completely immune.
Made me think of Spade's line in this skit.

• Haha
Reactions: BradStevens
We were still making judgments about sex before most of us even had it.
That started before any of you had it. That's like one of the universal things for boys.

I still remember being in 5th grade and announcing that I knew how babies were made. When questioned, my answer was the dad pee'd in the mom's purse. That sounded super gross.

It hasn't always been superior. You're correct, that at times China's was superior or Islam. But it undeniably is now. To the extent China is gaining, it is because it has adopted Western notions of science and industrialization. Heck, even communism is a product of the West.

Re Guns, Germs, and Steel, I've never read it but understand the premise.

Why is it "Western notions of science" right after you admit at earlier times China or Islam were leading? I am guessing, don't know a lot about Egypt, but guessing their science was good for their time. I don't know of any western civilization that could have pioneered science before Egypt. We know they built the pyramids, an engineering marvel. So should we say the West uses Egyptian views on science?

You haven't lived until you get a lap dance from a one legged stripper.

Classy joint, I tell ya. That jukebox was A1.

OMG, I know that woman's name--Eileen Dover

They're just smart enough to know that everyone has a camera in their hand at all times.

Ancient Egyptian civilization existed for over 1000 years. I could go on.
Yep. IIRC, ancient Egypt was the first civilization with any law. Maybe that’s because it was among the first with written language that we can study. I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if aspects of natural law were part of that.

• Haha
Reactions: UncleMark
My parents were really cool in the sense that the only thing they demanded of me was that I never drive home drunk. If we partied, I had to sleep it off and come home in the morning.

One time I walked in at like 11 AM on a Saturday, and my dad looked at me, and simply said, "You sure have a lot of mustard in your hair."
We were drinking with a buddy one night who was one of those guys who didn’t drink much, but when he did, he would keep drinking until he could no longer raise the bottle. He’d just get stupid, dangerous drunk, to the point of alcohol poisoning.

Anyway, he drank a whole bottle of Johnnie Walker Red and then proceeded to puke it all back up. We were all a little messed up ourselves and we thought he was puking up blood.

We almost took him to the hospital. We were probably 17-18 at the time.

• Wow
Reactions: mcmurtry66
Why is it "Western notions of science" right after you admit at earlier times China or Islam were leading? I am guessing, don't know a lot about Egypt, but guessing their science was good for their time. I don't know of any western civilization that could have pioneered science before Egypt. We know they built the pyramids, an engineering marvel. So should we say the West uses Egyptian views on science?
Because the scientific method was developed in the West during the Age of Enlightenment. It's one of the most significant events in all of human history and directly led to industrialization. The advancement of human technology, knowledge, production, and material well-being from that time to the present (~370 years) dwarfs the previous 3,700 years.

They don't smoke real cigarettes or use real chewing tobacco. Everything is a synthetic nicotine injection straight into the blood stream via vape or zyn. They view millennial drinking habits as nothing more than alcoholism. They don't have sex like you said.

They're a bunch of androgynous, phone addicted robots.

They don't smoke real cigarettes or use real chewing tobacco. Everything is a synthetic nicotine injection straight into the blood stream via vape or zyn. They view millennial drinking habits as nothing more than alcoholism. They don't have sex like you said.

They're a bunch of androgynous, phone addicted robots.
What is Zyn?

• Haha
Reactions: twenty02
Strait-up rah-rah brainwashing will best accomplish #1,
I don’t think brainwashing is the best way. In fact I don’t think brainwashing is necessary at all. But that is not to say we should avoid teaching about our inherent virtues and how to improve the system that supports it. We don’t need to present it as perfect, or even the best, but the point is this is what we have and we should make it better. This is part of citizenship.

In conclusion . . . .

I don’t think brainwashing is the best way. In fact I don’t think brainwashing is necessary at all. But that is not to say we should avoid teaching about our inherent virtues and how to improve the system that supports it. We don’t need to present it as perfect, or even the best, but the point is this is what we have and we should make it better. This is part of citizenship.

In conclusion . . . .

So we should teach everyone that they didn’t just fall out of a coconut tree, but they should be unburden by what was and imagine what can be?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT