ADVERTISEMENT

How should history be taught in high school?

BradStevens

All-American
Sep 7, 2023
My son is starting his freshman year at the local, progressive public school. His required history course is World History.

I post this to get general discussion about whether this is the right concept of history to be taught to freshman (14-year-olds), and specific discussion about this course, and if it seems geared towards reaching a particular political viewpoint (not Dem v. Rep, but progressive v. anything else).

For me, I think the course description is designed to reach a progressive view of the world (and maybe an illiberal one, at that) and that this is too much historiography and too little actual history for 14-year-olds. Contra the course description, I actually do want my freshman to learn as much about the history of the world as you can pack into 176 days--he and his classmates haven't learned that yet, so they have nothing to "unlearn." I'm already looking for supplementation (if anyone has any they could recommend, that would be great).

Here's the description of the course from the syllabus (all emphasis in the original):

COURSE DESCRIPTION

The focus on this course is not to learn as much as we can about as much of the history of the world as we can fit into 176 school days. Rather, this course offers a narrower focus, on that synthesizes select historical periods, themes, and ideas throughout human history in an attempt to craft an argument. Because that's what history is: an argument about the past. And to engage in an earnest study of World History requires us to ask historical questions -- questions to which there are no "answers," only evidence-based arguments.

In World History A, we will explore a number of essential questions that will guide our units of study, both in what we ask you to consume as budding historians (readings, film, art, music, and other modes of expression) and in how we assess you throughout the year. These questions may include:

1. Why and for whom does history matter?
2. How do we know what we know about the world and can we trust it?
3. What are the origins of inequality?
4. To what extend did religions and empires improve human life?
5. How did religion, trade, and empire unify the Old World System?
6. How should the early American empires be remembered? What story should be told about their historical significance?
7. How important was the European Age of Exploration? How much changed as a result?
8. How "enlightening" was the Enlightenment? To what extent did the Haitian Revolution challenge the global order?
9. Is progress inherently good? What were the global impacts of industrialization, imperialism, and nationalism?
10. How and why did liberal democracy decline in Germany after World War I? How and why did the Holocaust happen? Why did war (World War II) break out in the Pacific?
11. How and why did anti-colonial movements succeed in the post-war era?

In answering these questions--and these are just the ones we've come up with; you'll be creating questions of your own!--we will challenge some of our own preconceived notions about the history of the world --to unlearn some of what we have learned in hopes of broadening our perspective, deepening our fund of knowledge, and enhancing our critical thinking skills.

COURSE OUTLINE

Semester 1

Unit 1: Introduction to World History/Perspectives in World History
Unit 2: Agricultural Revolution
Unit 3: Collective Myths: Empire in the Ancient World
Unit 4: Empires in the Old World
Unit 5: Empire in the Americas

Semester 2

Unit 6: Global System and the Rise of the West
Unit 7: Egalite for all? Enlightenment and Revolution in the Atlantic World
Untie 8: The Paradox of Progress: The Industrial Revolution, Imperialism, and World War I
Unit 9: World War II and the Holocaust
Unit 10: Decolonization Movements

Last edited:
Reactions: ORG
My son is starting his freshman year at the local, progressive public school. His required history course is World History.

I post this to get general discussion about whether this is the right concept of history to be taught to freshman (14 year olds), and specific discussion about this course, and if it seems geared towards reaching a particular political viewpoint (not Dem v. Rep, but progressive v. anything else).

For me, I think the course description is designed to reach a progressive view of the world (and maybe an illiberal one, at that) and that this is too much historiography and too little actual history for 14-year-olds. I want my freshman to learn as much about the history of the world as you can pack into 176 days--he and his classmates haven't learned that yet, so they have nothing to "unlearn." I'm already looking for supplementation (if anyone has any they could recommend, that would be great).

Here's the description of the course from the syllabus (all emphasis in the original):

COURSE DESCRIPTION

The focus on this course is not to learn as much as we can about as much of the history of the world as we can fit into 176 school days. Rather, this course offers a narrower focus, on that synthesizes select historical periods, themes, and ideas throughout human history in an attempt to craft an argument. Because that's what history is: an argument about the past. And to engage in an earnest study of World History requires us to ask historical questions -- questions to which there are no "answers," only evidence-based arguments.

In World History A, we will explore a number of essential questions that will guide our units of study, both in what we ask you to consume as budding historians (readings, film, art, music, and other modes of expression) and in how we assess you throughout the year. These questions may include:

6. How should the early American empires be remembered? What story should be told about their historical significance?
7. How important was the European Age of Exploration? How much changed as a result?
8. How "enlightening" was the Enlightenment? To what extent did the Haitian Revolution challenge the global order?
9. Is progress inherently good? What were the global impacts of industrialization, imperialism, and nationalism?
10. How and why did liberal democracy decline in Germany after World War I? How and why did the Holocaust happen? Why did war (World War II) break out in the Pacific?

In answering these questions--and these are just the ones we've come up with; you'll be creating questions of your own!--we will challenge some of our own preconceived notions about the history of the world --to unlearn some of what we have learned in hopes of broadening our perspective, deepening our fund of knowledge, and enhancing our critical thinking skills.

COURSE OUTLINE

Semester 1

Semester 2

Untie 8: The Paradox of Progress: The Industrial Revolution, Imperialism, and World War I
Horrible. You don’t need the topics to catch the red flags: argument, earnest, challenge, unlearn.

Reactions: 76-1

I post this to get general discussion about whether this is the right concept of history to be taught to freshman (14 year olds), and specific discussion about this course, and if it seems geared towards reaching a particular political viewpoint (not Dem v. Rep, but progressive v. anything else).

For me, I think the course description is designed to reach a progressive view of the world (and maybe an illiberal one, at that) and that this is too much historiography and too little actual history for 14-year-olds. I want my freshman to learn as much about the history of the world as you can pack into 176 days--he and his classmates haven't learned that yet, so they have nothing to "unlearn." I'm already looking for supplementation (if anyone has any they could recommend, that would be great).

COURSE DESCRIPTION

COURSE OUTLINE

Semester 1

Semester 2

That is some bad mojo coming out of the curriculum. My rule of thumb with history is you have to spend a lot of time in the original documents. You want to know who, what, when, how etc. You also have to make sure you judge history within the context of that period of time. It is unfair to throw out everything a person does which is good because you disagree with certain behaviors. For instance today you hear how the Founding Fathers who owned slaves shows that our whole system is illegitimate. I would point out that both Washington and Jefferson freed their slaves at the time of their deaths. So why did they have slaves? We must remember the context in which they lived. Farmers owned slaves and farmers competed against other farmers. So they HAD to have slaves to survive. It is ironic that those who propose throwing out our system and replacing it would tout that they have a 1st Amendment right to say it.

Reactions: Mas-sa-suta

COURSE DESCRIPTION

COURSE OUTLINE

Semester 1

Semester 2

Hopefully he fails the class and spends his time writing notes to Megan. What a miserable f#cking course.

COURSE DESCRIPTION

COURSE OUTLINE

Semester 1

Semester 2

In my day high school World History was a single term subject about the who, where, when, and why of events deemed important by most scholars.

Not much deep thinking, just a lot of information to memorize.

No son. We can’t have him failing bc of the dipshit woke Walz faculty. That boy is getting no inheritance. None. He needs to fill his toolbox with the stuff he needs now to make some dough later
Donald Trump Republicans GIF by Election 2016

No son. We can’t have him failing bc of the dipshit woke Walz faculty. That boy is getting no inheritance. None. He needs to fill his toolbox with the stuff he needs now to make some dough later
I forgot Brad is tossing him out of the house with nothing. Coach, if Brad Jr. ever makes it to Auburn, I’m going to take him under my wing. He’s going to be a Bitcoiner and hate Karl. What loser spells Karl with a “k”? Only a f#cking communist. His beard sucked too. I think Wake is coming to Auburn. I can’t wait for story time around the fire.

COURSE DESCRIPTION

COURSE OUTLINE

Semester 1

Semester 2

As long as he learns where Westeros is and the culpability of Yoko Ono what more does he need to learn?

In my day high school World History was a single term subject about the who, where, when, and why of events deemed important by most scholars.

Not much deep thinking, just a lot of information to memorize.
I need you and @Marvin the Martian @Mark Milton @hoosboot @TommyCracker @UncleMark @TheOriginalHappyGoat @larsIU to tell me this is a great course and that you really hope your kids can or could take one like this.

But I also already know from other parents that the oppressor v. oppressed dynamic is a fundamental axiom of the course.

I forgot Brad is tossing him out of the house with nothing. Coach, if Brad Jr. ever makes it to Auburn, I’m going to take him under my wing. He’s going to be a Bitcoiner and hate Karl. What loser spells Karl with a “k”? Only a f#cking communist. His beard sucked too. I think Wake is coming to Auburn. I can’t wait for story time around the fire.

SC, do you think Karl would recognize his teachings of communism if he were to visit China, North Korea, or Cuba ?

Not saying Marx's philosophy had merit, just saying it was too utopian to ever be implemented as dreamed up by him.

You are going to lose ~95% of the class if the teacher makes you memorize dates, places, people.
We all know history is written by the "winners", why not get the "losers" perspective; they were a part of history too. If the teacher can give historical facts and show how things are interconnected and put them in a chronological order....that would be more interesting.
Depending on how this is taught it could be more engaging. If it just about "feelings", than it is "woke".
In a couple months you should update us

SC, do you think Karl would recognize his teachings of communism if he were to visit China, North Korea, or Cuba ?

Not saying Marx's philosophy had merit, just saying it was too utopian to ever be implemented as dreamed up by him.
Not sure Hoot. It would be a great topic around the campfire in Auburn. What’s the odds of you making the trip?

I need you and @Marvin the Martian @Mark Milton @hoosboot @TommyCracker @UncleMark @TheOriginalHappyGoat @larsIU to tell me this is a great course and that you really hope your kids can or could take one like this.

But I also already know from other parents that the oppressor v. oppressed dynamic is a fundamental axiom of the course.

There is some oppressed/oppressor but I don't see it as at all dominate based on what you posted. I assume empires in the Americas are Incan, Mayan, etc. Good things to learn about.

We all have preconceived ideas of world history. Among them that the West was always "superior", which was not true. Islam had great science until their own dark ages descended. China made great technological advancements (gunpowder, paper, compass).

Without knowing specifics, I don't know. The devil is in the details. It never bothered me my kids were taught issues I didn't necessarily agree with, I could always schedule rebuttal time.

My oldest would always want to know my opinion on issues, I tried hard to never give it. I would do the "some believe ...., others believe ...". It would frustrate her. I told her I can't guarantee I am right, I wanted her to think it through and decide.

So long as it isn't taught as "there is no room for disagreement, we are oppressors", I don't care. They can present, "here are arguments for and against" and I am quite happy.

That is some bad mojo coming out of the curriculum. My rule of thumb with history is you have to spend a lot of time in the original documents.
Not in high school.

You want to know who, what, when, how etc. You also have to make sure you judge history within the context of that period of time. It is unfair to throw out everything a person does which is good because you disagree with certain behaviors.
Good teachers do provide context.

For instance today you hear how the Founding Fathers who owned slaves shows that our whole system is illegitimate.
No public school teacher is teaching that.

I will say, however, it didn't take us long to know Manifest Destiny was mostly crap.

I would point out that both Washington and Jefferson freed their slaves at the time of their deaths. So why did they have slaves? We must remember the context in which they lived. Farmers owned slaves and farmers competed against other farmers. So they HAD to have slaves to survive. It is ironic that those who propose throwing out our system and replacing it would tout that they have a 1st Amendment right to say it.

This isn't happening at public schools.

6. How should the early American empires be remembered?
Mayan, Incan, Aztec, Spanish, French, American, Iroquois, Sioux, etc.? Or just the white ones?

My daughter has taken AP and IB history courses. Not a ton of the oppessor/oppressed bullshit but then again, I live in Carmel. So, YMMV.

I post this to get general discussion about whether this is the right concept of history to be taught to freshman (14-year-olds), and specific discussion about this course, and if it seems geared towards reaching a particular political viewpoint (not Dem v. Rep, but progressive v. anything else).

For me, I think the course description is designed to reach a progressive view of the world (and maybe an illiberal one, at that) and that this is too much historiography and too little actual history for 14-year-olds. Contra the course description, I actually do want my freshman to learn as much about the history of the world as you can pack into 176 days--he and his classmates haven't learned that yet, so they have nothing to "unlearn." I'm already looking for supplementation (if anyone has any they could recommend, that would be great).

COURSE DESCRIPTION

COURSE OUTLINE

Semester 1

Semester 2

You do understand that states determine curriculum, right? This isn't the machinations of teachers, let alone a single teacher. School systems do create curriculum for their district, but it does have to comply what is being handed down.

Social studies teachers who just throw out facts for students to learn are poor teachers. The idea of learning is for them to learn how to be critical thinkers, and if they have nothing to unlearn then you have nothing to worry about.

History isn't about what happened and when. It's about why it happened and what it changed going forward. You can teach the former without the latter, but your child will be no better off other than winning trivia contests. Teaching the latter includes the former.

My guess is you're stuck on two words: Unlearn, which you noted, and liberal.

I really don't see anything in there different than from what we were taught other than attaching the word "liberal" in front of democracy.

The syllabus isn't really a world history of the study of pure facts. If you changed the syllabus to "critically thinking about the impact of world events", it would fit. So in one aspect, it would be an exercise in interpretation, which i would hope would present from multiple viewpoints (but likely not), and if it did, nothing the matter with that I suppose--except it would not be world history, but rather how people today interpret what happened as if it happened today. On the other side, the teacher with no scruples or who has an agenda, can present history as he or she fits by emphasizing one over the other.

For example, why did the Roman Empire fall? There is never one answer there. Imperial overstretch, no money to pay military, overreliance on conquered foes to serve as frontier guards, senate corruption, lack of central leadership in Rome, massive decline in the trading of goods, christianity (if you believe Gibbons and others), no longer any roman generals commanding armies, and host of others too ennumerable to list. There isn't one right answer, but I could see where someone plays the Victor Davis Hansen card or the historians who blame Christianity card--but those are imcomplete and clearly setting forth an agenda--which I have a problem with.

So my concern would be that this isn't history class per se. That being said, I remember my world history class from high school. The topics are similar, but not presented with pre-disposed answer.

History should be elective in HS and College. Schools should concentrate on Math, Science, Technology, English and maybe learning a foreign language and introduce elective starting with HS. Why make a kid learn history if not interested if the kid can excel in some other elective that is of interest. I'm sure there is some Federal Govt. BS that has made the US Education system so bad. Oh yeh, Dept. of Education, there is the BS.

• Wow
Reactions: outside shooter
Mayan, Incan, Aztec, Spanish, French, American, Iroquois, Sioux, etc.? Or just the white ones?

My daughter has taken AP and IB history courses. Not a ton of the oppessor/oppressed bullshit but then again, I live in Carmel. So, YMMV.
Yeah, Carmel, Indiana isn't exactly ground zero of woke.

The syllabus isn't really a world history of the study of pure facts. If you changed the syllabus to "critically thinking about the impact of world events", it would fit. So in one aspect, it would be an exercise in interpretation, which i would hope would present from multiple viewpoints (but likely not), and if it did, nothing the matter with that I suppose--except it would not be world history, but rather how people today interpret what happened as if it happened today. On the other side, the teacher with no scruples or who has an agenda, can present history as he or she fits by emphasizing one over the other.

For example, why did the Roman Empire fall? There is never one answer there. Imperial overstretch, no money to pay military, overreliance on conquered foes to serve as frontier guards, senate corruption, lack of central leadership in Rome, massive decline in the trading of goods, christianity (if you believe Gibbons and others), no longer any roman generals commanding armies, and host of others too ennumerable to list. There isn't one right answer, but I could see where someone plays the Victor Davis Hansen card or the historians who blame Christianity card--but those are imcomplete and clearly setting forth an agenda--which I have a problem with.

So my concern would be that this isn't history class per se. That being said, I remember my world history class from high school. The topics are similar, but not presented with pre-disposed answer.
This

• Love
Reactions: Mark Milton
I'm sorry, but why are you worried about that? What is it going to cause in your child you don't like?
It’s very simple. Smart people don’t want teachers with an agenda bastardizing their children’s education. People who write self marginalized white men as much as you are precisely the type of teachers we don’t want. Varying viewpoints great. Pushing predilections. No.

It hasn’t registered but Brad doesn’t suffer fools. That’s why he doesn’t respond to you. He is smarter than I. I’m like a woodpecker with you and hickory. Dumb and dumber

At the end of the day man has oppressed man since the dawn of the time of man. We are capable of both unimaginable feats and unthinkable atrocities. It's both nature and nurture. Just present the facts (not just the data alone, but in context of the conventional wisdom of the times for those on all sides) and leave the judgement to the individual consuming it all.

World history hasn't been just the study of facts since at least the late 80's. That's not how it was taught when I went to high school, and I can only assume there have been varied, if not better perspectives utilized in teaching it today. Without question multiple points of view are covered, including those in real time, but in that we live in the now, there is nothing wrong with understanding how time impacts perspective.

Talk about an over simplification of how the topic would be covered, let alone in 2024. A good teacher would talk about all those reasons for why the Roman Empire fell. The problem would be if they all were covered, would you object to any of them out of hand just because it didn't match what you believed?

I don't know of any teacher who tries to demonize Christianity in an effort to discuss the fall of the Roman Empire. LOL That the spread of Christianity concurrently happen with the slow fall of Rome isn't a coincidence. Would it be considered "woke" to label Romans as brutal in their spread through Europe, regardless of the culture and structure it brought to the continent?

At the end of the day man has oppressed man since the dawn of the time of man. We are capable of both unimaginable feats and unthinkable atrocities. It's both nature and nurture. Just present the facts (not just the data alone, but in context of the conventional wisdom of the times for those on all sides) and leave the judgement to the individual consuming it all.
Leaving judgement to the individual also means presenting various ways others have judged it.

It makes no difference what men think of war, said the judge. War endures. As well ask men what they think of stone. War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner. That is the way it was and will be. That way and not some other way.

Dates, battles, wars, monarchs, Leaders, treaties, borders, important documents.

Somewhere along the line that all got dismissed as rote memorization. Real history is “more complex” they say.

And that’s why Public School History education now sucks.

It’s very simple. Smart people don’t want teachers with an agenda bastardizing their children’s education. People who write self marginalized white men as much as you are precisely the type of teachers we don’t want. Varying viewpoints great. Pushing predilections. No.
Depends on what you describe as an agenda. "Agenda" isn't just anything that differs from your values.

I write self-marginalized white men because that's how you act. Poor victim in a society you think is leaving you behind. Do the board a favor a hire a prostitute.

It hasn’t registered but Brad doesn’t suffer fools. That’s why he doesn’t respond to you. He is smarter than I. I’m like a woodpecker with you and hickory. Dumb and dumber
I know Brad doesn't respond to me. I still like responding to some of his posts because they're good topics. Unlike you, I can stay on topic. Now be a good boy.

Dates, battles, monarchs, Leaders, treaties, borders, important documents.

Somewhere along the line that all got dismissed as rote memorization. Real history is “more complex” they say.

And that’s why Public School History education now sucks.
Real history is more complex. To suggest otherwise is simplistic and very narrow minded.

Depends on what you describe as an agenda. "Agenda" isn't just anything that differs from your values.

I write self-marginalized white men because that's how you act. Poor victim in a society you think is leaving you behind. Do the board a favor a hire a prostitute.

I know Brad doesn't respond to me. I still like responding to some of his posts because they're good topics. Unlike you, I can stay on topic. Now be a good boy.
No you’re projecting with the race issue. Nothing is leaving white men behind. You can’t view data or information objectively bc your opinions are colored by a woke lens that poisons everything you post, think, and likely do. You’re the sub we don’t want teaching our kids.

You can drive them around tho

Reactions: jet812
Leaving judgement to the individual also means presenting various ways others have judged it.

Presenting the data in the context of the times of those involved in the historical event covers that for the consumer, and the societal norms that the consumer was brought up in, here in the present, gives them the basis to judge it. The Middle/High School Teacher injecting their perspective too deeply into the data, especially considering the power dynamic that exists between teacher/pupil, can be unfairly leading.

No you’re projecting with the race issue. Nothing is leaving white men behind. You can’t view data or information objectively bc your opinions are colored by a woke lens that poisons everything you post, think, and likely do. You’re the sub we don’t want teaching our kids.

You can drive them around tho
Got it. You're just a self-marginalized male. You and all your black brothers stand united.

Presenting the data in the context of the times of those involved in the historical event covers that for the consumer, and the societal norms that the consumer was brought up in, here in the present, gives them the basis to judge it. The Middle/High School Teacher injecting their perspective too deeply into the data, especially considering the power dynamic that exists between teacher/pupil, can be unfairly leading.
I didn't say anything about a teacher injecting their perspective into it. However, there are some topics which are just that one sided.

The problem we have is people think the injection of perspective into history is as binary as they view their politics.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT