ADVERTISEMENT

How long is too long?

No, Vince’s wite Linda was the 25th administrator of the small business administration, 2-14-17 to 4-12-19 for the Trump administration. To say he buddy up to Trump because of the XFX went bankrupt is BS like many of your posts that you and your buddies get all giddy about !

Well, you certainly aren't getting my vote now Lucy! No one blind as a bat and suffering from the pre-condition of stupidity should be Prez.

Yeah that was bad. His office quickly tried to issue a follow up to clean up the mess. Not too proud that he’s my Congressman.

One of the Democrats running against him lives in LA. It of course turns out that one need not live in a district to run for congress. So it would be funny if somehow the Tennessean lost to the Californian to represent Indiana. But I doubt the LA person will win the primary, let alone win the general.

Germany will announce new measures later today after the Chancellor's meeting with the state PMs in the afternoon.

Apparently those will include:
- extension of the current contact restrictions (1.5m distance, gatherings of no more than two people except for families and those living together) until 3 May
- reopening of shops up to 800m² from 20 Apr
- green light for football behind closed doors (Bundesliga plans to continue on 9 May)
- the possible reopening of zoos, botanical gardens and museums
- restaurants will remain a closed, possible exception for outdoor gastronomy

No information yet on schools and mandatory masks. (mandatory where I am now.)

Germany will announce new measures later today after the Chancellor's meeting with the state PMs in the afternoon.

Apparently those will include:
- extension of the current contact restrictions (1.5m distance, gatherings of no more than two people except for families and those living together) until 3 May
- reopening of shops up to 800m² from 20 Apr
- green light for football behind closed doors (Bundesliga plans to continue on 9 May)
- the possible reopening of zoos, botanical gardens and museums
- restaurants will remain a closed, possible exception for outdoor gastronomy

No information yet on schools and mandatory masks. (mandatory where I am now.)

For your mandatory masks, are they any mask or do they need to be N95? Normal masks are an OK way to slow me spreading disease but bad at stopping me from catching what someone else spreads. I don't know when they will become available again here, but I don't think I personally will be going back to the office until they are possible to get again.

One of the Democrats running against him lives in LA. It of course turns out that one need not live in a district to run for congress. So it would be funny if somehow the Tennessean lost to the Californian to represent Indiana. But I doubt the LA person will win the primary, let alone win the general.

That has become a very tough district for the Ds. I’m not sure there is anything Tennessee Trey could do to lose to a D. More sadly, I don’t think there’s a D candidate, regardless of bona fides, who could win.

Reactions: Marvin the Martian
For your mandatory masks, are they any mask or do they need to be N95? Normal masks are an OK way to slow me spreading disease but bad at stopping me from catching what someone else spreads. I don't know when they will become available again here, but I don't think I personally will be going back to the office until they are possible to get again.

I am using my govt provided freebie -- a reusable mask. Its hot as hell wearing it. It's like made of multi-layers soft microfiber/felt material but inverted.

EUzuoo0U0AMvsNl.jpg

I may switch to my surgical on warmer days. They stopped giving us the free surgical a while ago. Cheap bast*rds. My tax money!! (Though they did deposit some $$ into my bank account on Monday.)

If I am really desperate I can use my high altitude training masks.

I am using my govt provided freebie -- a reusable mask. Its hot as hell wearing it. It's like made of multi-layers soft microfiber/felt material but inverted.

EUzuoo0U0AMvsNl.jpg

I may switch to my surgical on warmer days. They stopped giving us the free surgical a while ago. Cheap bast*rds. My tax money!! (Though they did deposit some $$ into my bank account on Monday.)

If I am really desperate I can use my high altitude training masks.
Really stupid question but don't we all need a shit ton of masks? i have a surgical mask (one) and an N95 mask (one). the virus lives on surfaces for days. so i wear it to the grocery store, it gets "dirty," then what, i can't wear it for another 4 days? they can't be put in the washing machine. they'll fall apart.

Really stupid question but don't we all need a shit ton of masks? i have a surgical mask (one) and an N95 mask (one). the virus lives on surfaces for days. so i wear it to the grocery store, it gets "dirty," then what, i can't wear it for another 4 days? they can't be put in the washing machine. they'll fall apart.

No. Both N945s and surgical are one time deals.

Though the N95s can last many more hours than say a surgical. (Technically a surgical is a higher grade to an acceptable normal mask which the 3ply.) My sister in NYC was reusing her N95s like it was some reusable. It nearly broke my heart when I heard that. So I sent her two boxes of surgical boxes and another two to my other sister in SF.

I cant even wash the reusable in a washing machine. I need to hand wash it with soap and water.

No. Both N945s and surgical are one time deals.

Though the N95s can last many more hours than say a surgical. (Technically a surgical is a higher grade to an acceptable normal mask which the 3ply.) My sister in NYC was reusing her N95s like it was some reusable. It nearly broke my heart when I heard that. So I sent her two boxes of surgical boxes and another two to my other sister in SF.

I cant even wash the reusable in a washing machine. I need to hand wash it with soap and water.
Yet another problem going forward - outfitting 300 million plus. probably easier to for us all to make our own that we can throw in the washing machine.

Reactions: Cortez88
Yet another problem going forward - outfitting 300 million plus. probably easier to for us all to make our own that we can throw in the washing machine.

We have a neighbor who has been sewing masks. She was kind enough to make 2 for our household. I have to say, it was a surreal feeling to wear a mask and gloves to grocery shop.

Well, you certainly aren't getting my vote now Lucy! No one blind as a bat and suffering from the pre-condition of stupidity should be Prez.
Just forget what I posted, I didn’t know it would cost me votes! Remember vote me and you will get 50 3M N95 masks!

Reactions: mcmurtry66

They will be more like N65 (%).

I think I posted something here for people who want to make their own masks a week ago. Was to Marvin.

China was consuming up to like 200million masks per day at one stage.

Reactions: mcmurtry66
Desperate idea but how about allowing schools to sell 8,000 seats to each game at a high price ($100 - $200) with assigned seats spread out over the lower 50 rows / 80 per row on each side. No concessions they can bring in a cooler. That is $1MM per game? I think enough people would pay just for the novelty of it. Everyone gets on the big vid board and all get seat cushion, box lunch, free parking and a letter signed by the team.

If there are these kind of safety concerns about sitting in a stadium what do you think the concerns are going to be about sitting in a classroom. I am starting to come around to the belief that there will be no sports in the fall.

Just a reminder, since people seem to want to ignore the implications of the absence of a vaccine, but to get to herd immunity, we must accept at least 900K American deaths. That's at the most optimistic numbers for fatality and necessary spread. At the pessimistic end, the number is 3.25 million.
Got a breakdown on Democrats versus Republicans? :cool: ( before I cast my vote… )

Reactions: UncleMark
CNN has a story up about people submitting fraudulent documentation to employers claiming they had COVID-19 (it appears to get time off work). The businesses have shut down and had deep cleanings, at considerable cost.

We are going to see that happen as we reopen, both ways. 1) people wanting time off submitting documentation they have the virus 2) people wanting to return to work submitting fake doctor's notes they aren't sick or have immunity. Congress, if it ever meets again, should create a special law covering fake medical info during a pandemic. Not because the new law will do much on its own, but coverage of the new law would be high and that would get people's attention that this is just wrong. Some people need extra reinforcement.

Just a reminder, since people seem to want to ignore the implications of the absence of a vaccine, but to get to herd immunity, we must accept at least 900K American deaths. That's at the most optimistic numbers for fatality and necessary spread. At the pessimistic end, the number is 3.25 million.

Your comment doesn't factor in the other mitigation (regional/local lockdowns, testing) and treatment factors (therapies, etc.) that are quickly developing.

Your comment doesn't factor in the other mitigation (regional/local lockdowns, testing) and treatment factors (therapies, etc.) that are quickly developing.
Lockdown, testing, etc. is irrelevant. To get herd immunity, people need to be infected.

Treatments that already exist are already factored into the current fatality rate estimates.

Reactions: UncleMark
Nothing exists, so nothing is factored in?
Huh? What do you think doctors are doing with all those patients in the hospitals? Not treating them?
I think there are a lot of people who are hoping some magic bullet treatment will arrive sooner rather than later. I hope they're right. But in the meantime, the only thing the decision makers should consider is what is currently available, right now, not what might be developed on down the line.

I think there are a lot of people who are hoping some magic bullet treatment will arrive sooner rather than later. I hope they're right. But in the meantime, the only thing the decision makers should consider is what is currently available, right now, not what might be developed on down the line.

So we should keep things shut down indefinitely and only reopen once effective treatments are available? When will that be?

So we should keep things shut down indefinitely and only reopen once effective treatments are available? When will that be?
That's the question, isn't it? How long is too long? At what point do economic considerations override the health consequences?

I really don't know. Me, personally, I'm leaning toward caution -- I'm 65 with diminished lung capacity and my wife has a number of the risk factors along with her age. But I understand I'm in a better position than most to weather the economic fallout. Which is kind of ironic, being the token low wage working class hero in these parts.

Those treatments are wildly different than those that are being tested
So?

So you think we should reopen now on the hope that an effective magical treatment will suddenly appear before 1-3 million Americans die?

That's the question, isn't it? How long is too long? At what point do economic considerations override the health consequences?

I really don't know. Me, personally, I'm leaning toward caution -- I'm 65 with diminished lung capacity and my wife has a number of the risk factors along with her age. But I understand I'm in a better position than most to weather the economic fallout. Which is kind of ironic, being the token low wage working class hero in these parts.
While I agree with you, even your caveats are rooted in the bullshit assumption that economic upheaval is 1) inevitable and 2) disastrous.

If we wanted to, we could lock everything down except for the essentials for 18 months. We could put in place a system to get people the food and medicine they need. We could keep people in their homes. We could make sure when this is all over, everyone is in the best position possible to get back into the swing of things. All of those things are physically possible.

In truth, the reason we are having this discussion is because we've already conceded that we don't want to do those things.

I suppose that depends on how deep of a recession/depression someone thinks is reasonable vs. how valuable lives are of people with underlying conditions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT