ADVERTISEMENT

Judge Shopping

Marvin the Martian

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Sep 4, 2001
The Judicial Conference sent out some guidelines to try and end judge shopping.

The guidelines are to try and solve the problem that all districts have multiple judges that can be assigned, making judge shopping less valuable. But inside districts are divisions, and some divisions only have one judge. So if one files there, they know exactly who they will get. This is problematic when that judge is at a left or right fringe. Honestly, it happens more with the right because the rural areas are more likely to have a 1 judge district, but it can and has happened on the left as well.

I think this is a great idea. But it didn't take long for some Senators to urge judges to ignore the recommendation.

I'd like to see judge shopping end. It makes no sense to guarantee a crazed left or right ruling that has no chance to stand up further up the line. It just causes consternation and doubt in the system. Or maybe we need a Mendoza Line for judges, get overturned X percent and you are sent back to civilian.

Reactions: BradStevens

The guidelines are to try and solve the problem that all districts have multiple judges that can be assigned, making judge shopping less valuable. But inside districts are divisions, and some divisions only have one judge. So if one files there, they know exactly who they will get. This is problematic when that judge is at a left or right fringe. Honestly, it happens more with the right because the rural areas are more likely to have a 1 judge district, but it can and has happened on the left as well.

I think this is a great idea. But it didn't take long for some Senators to urge judges to ignore the recommendation.

I'd like to see judge shopping end. It makes no sense to guarantee a crazed left or right ruling that has no chance to stand up further up the line. It just causes consternation and doubt in the system. Or maybe we need a Mendoza Line for judges, get overturned X percent and you are sent back to civilian.
My close friend and business partner in manufacturing went to law school with a guy who made a couple hundred mil bc of one hell hole county in southern Illinois. Filed asbestos case after asbestos case on an unfair rocket docket and made FU money. 25 years ago he invited my partner to come with him. Guy still bemoans not going. Madison county. One court made a ton of people very wealthy

Lots of court insanity. For years more than half of all the flsa cases in the entire country were filed in the so dist of Florida. One court.

My close friend and business partner in manufacturing went to law school with a guy who made a couple hundred mil bc of one hell hole county in southern Illinois. Filed asbestos case after asbestos case on an unfair rocket docket and made FU money. 25 years ago he invited my partner to come with him. Guy still bemoans not going. Madison county. One court made a ton of people very wealthy

Lots of court insanity. For years more than half of all the flsa cases in the entire country were filed in the so dist of Florida. One court.
Why weren’t those cases removed to federal court?

This wouldn’t be as big a problem if judges would stay in their lane. Judges make judge shopping more important as they become more ideological, and thus predictable, in their rulings.

Politics in judging seems to be expected by the public and other branches of government these days. The worst part of Biden’s attack on the Supreme Court about abortion, was not the attack but when he shouted while looking right at the justices: “You’re about to realize just how much you were right about that” referring To the court’s mention of legislative authority to change the result. The clear implication was that the court was supposed to consider politics in its ruling. Of course, this is wrong.

Reactions: TomEric4756

We’re going to hit a billion again for the lotto this week.

I defended cases for a year down there when I worked for a bigger defense firm. At a hearing one time, dozens of lawyers waiting for their cases to get called, in walks a guy in shorts and a golf polo, interrupts and says "Judge, I've got 40 or so cases up next week here. Have a tee time in 10 minutes. Can we put these off until next month?" Judge looks over and says, across the courtroom "Sure Bob (can't remember the guy's name). See you next week at the trial."

About 30 minutes pass after the plaintiff's lawyer leaves, and my case gets called. I've been sent to try to move the trial date on a case that is supposed to start in a few days (but won't, but you still have to be ready). Pretty much exactly what the guy in shorts just got done for 40 cases. I walk up to the bench, hand an extra courtesy copy to the judge, I say "Your honor, Defendant [gasket manufacturer whose product contained asbestos in the 1960s] is requesting a continuance on . . ."

That's as far as I got. Judge literally took the motion I'd just handed him and threw it in my face. I'm not kidding. Hit me smack on the forehead. "Motion denied. Next case."

• Wow
Reactions: mcmurtry66
I defended cases for a year down there when I worked for a bigger defense firm. At a hearing one time, dozens of lawyers waiting for their cases to get called, in walks a guy in shorts and a golf polo, interrupts and says "Judge, I've got 40 or so cases up next week here. Have a tee time in 10 minutes. Can we put these off until next month?" Judge looks over and says, across the courtroom "Sure Bob (can't remember the guy's name). See you next week at the trial."

About 30 minutes pass after the plaintiff's lawyer leaves, and my case gets called. I've been sent to try to move the trial date on a case that is supposed to start in a few days (but won't, but you still have to be ready). Pretty much exactly what the guy in shorts just got done for 40 cases. I walk up to the bench, hand an extra courtesy copy to the judge, I say "Your honor, Defendant [gasket manufacturer whose product contained asbestos in the 1960s] is requesting a continuance on . . ."

That's as far as I got. Judge literally took the motion I'd just handed him and threw it in my face. I'm not kidding. Hit me smack on the forehead. "Motion denied. Next case."
Total madness!!! Lol unreal. My partner’s friend was Jeff cooper. Simmons cooper

Reactions: BradStevens
It’s insane how much money was made. And some defendants were almost like free money. Navy cases etc
I should have gone and done that. I thought, in 2000, "these cases are 40 years old, no way they can keep going. This is going to dry up any day now."

Reactions: mcmurtry66
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT