ADVERTISEMENT

How can Pence participate in tonight’s debate?

baileyiu

Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Dec 6, 2001
Pence has been exposed to person/persons with COVID19 and per CDC guidelines, he should be quarantined.
Instead, his team is objecting to the plexiglass protection between the candidates.

If they're tested negative today before the debate I think they should be OK. Plus they are going to be much more than six feet apart. If I was Harris I would be OK with that situation. Trump and Pence will say that Biden and Harris team are liberal wimps if they back out tonight. Trump will unleash a tweet storm! ;)

I hope they debate and Harris cleans his clock.

If they're tested negative today before the debate I think they should be OK. Plus they are going to be much more than six feet apart. If I was Harris I would be OK with that situation. Trump and Pence will say that Biden and Harris team are liberal wimps if they back out tonight. Trump will unleash a tweet storm! ;)

The one that shouldn't happen is the one with Trump. I don't care what they say, by the guidance he would still be contagious.

Pence, per most Dr’s, needs at least 3 negative tests with verified results before he is in the “clear”.

The one that shouldn't happen is the one with Trump. I don't care what they say, by the guidance he would still be contagious.
I think the Biden camp needs to really hit home the message that they'll gladly debate Trump anywhere, anytime, but they want to make sure they're not putting anyone at risk. I hope they say that while they wish the president well and hope he's ultimately OK, there need to be safeguards in place not only for Biden and his team, but anyone in the media, security, anyone in attendance, etc.

Let the Trump campaign be on the defensive and explain why they should be at the debate. Let them explain why everyone in attendance will be as reasonably safe as possible and don't give them an opportunity to say Biden backed out. If the debate doesn't happen - Biden's team should be able to point to independent medical professionals' reasoning as to why.

If they're tested negative today before the debate I think they should be OK.

We have learned that even widespread testing doesn't really count for crapola when there is typically an incubation period of 4-10 days

So it's a flip of the coin as to whether he is safe

But if he keeps >10 feet away and all sides agree to it, then go right ahead. But they need to not refer to it as a science-based decision.

Reactions: MrBing
The White House has zero credibility on the coronavirus in general and Trump's condition in particular. His physician, Sean Conley's, statement that because of HIPAA he wasn't at liberty to disclose certain information, including what's going on with Trump's lungs, is absurd. Trump isn't just any patient. He's the president of the United States, and he's running for reelection. The public has an absolute right to know exactly what's going on with him medically, including whether he has/had pneumonia.

And the fact that they refuse to disclose when he last tested negative, prior to experiencing symptoms, is outrageous. There's an effing outbreak at the White House, Trump was in contact with scores of people during and since the Barrett Rose Garden Party, and public health considerations require thorough contact tracing. That can't be done properly without a precise timeline and knowing when he last tested negative.

I know I'm hardly the first to mention this, but it's beyond ironic that the guy who lied about the virus from the beginning, bungled the national Covid response while bragging about how well he handled it and then acted like Covid was in the rear view mirror is now a super spreader as a result of his reckless disregard for the health and safety of those around him. He has set a terrible example both as president and as a human being.

Pence has been exposed to person/persons with COVID19 and per CDC guidelines, he should be quarantined.
Instead, his team is objecting to the plexiglass protection between the candidates.
This Mike Pence?

I think the Biden camp needs to really hit home the message that they'll gladly debate Trump anywhere, anytime, but they want to make sure they're not putting anyone at risk. I hope they say that while they wish the president well and hope he's ultimately OK, there need to be safeguards in place not only for Biden and his team, but anyone in the media, security, anyone in attendance, etc.
Sure. Which should require that Trump wear a mask, among all the other safeguards. According to the CDC guidance, infected people can be contagious for up to 20 days from infection. Unless they want to backdate things and admit he's been infected -- and spreading -- longer than originally said, he won't be outside that 20 day window on the 15th. Remember, this guy is a spreader and is contagious. It's not like any of this stuff is precautionary with him. He's a threat to everyone around him, plain and simple.

Reactions: Ohio Guy
I think the Biden camp needs to really hit home the message that they'll gladly debate Trump anywhere, anytime, but they want to make sure they're not putting anyone at risk.
Harris should bring a can of lysol and spray it in Pence's direction everytime he speaks. I think the Dems screwed up asking Pence to be behind plexiglass. The optics and messaging would be much better if only she was behind one. (ie they are the Covid Party) They should have left it alone ..

Reactions: Ohio Guy
Sure. Which should require that Trump wear a mask, among all the other safeguards. According to the CDC guidance, infected people can be contagious for up to 20 days from infection. Unless they want to backdate things and admit he's been infected -- and spreading -- longer than originally said, he won't be outside that 20 day window on the 15th. Remember, this guy is a spreader and is contagious. It's not like any of this stuff is precautionary with him. He's a threat to everyone around him, plain and simple.
Are you ok?

While I appreciate the concern, I'm not sure why you're asking.
You seem extra frothy about Trump's pending appearance at next week's debate. A week is an eternity in 2020 terms. I think there is a good chance Trump has to cancel due to what Fauci called 'a reversal'. That would fit the pattern of a case like his. Regardless, social distancing measures and even remote options should be on the table. Biden doesnt have to worry about catching it from Trump.

You seem extra frothy about Trump's pending appearance at next week's debate. A week is an eternity in 2020 terms. I think there is a good chance Trump has to cancel due to what Fauci called 'a reversal'. That would fit the pattern of a case like his. Regardless, social distancing measures and even remote options should be on the table. Biden doesnt have to worry about catching it from Trump.
I want them to make Trump wear a fvcking mask.

I was surprised to learn from a Michael Beschloss interview last night, that one of the Kennedy-Nixon debates in 1960 was done with Kennedy in New York and Nixon in LA. That was 60 years ago. I think they should do a remote debate for a variety of obvious reasons. I’m specifically referring to the presidential debate(s).

Can you catch a virus from this?

37586370-empty-suit-figure.jpg

They should replace Pence with Cohen. They should replace Trump with Jorgensen. The debates would be far more sensible and maybe the American people would learn something instead what the network media and their crony candidates represent and feed them.

My bigger question is which Kamala will show up tonight. The Heathen attack chihuahua of the Primary, or the innocent, sweet, tutu wearing shape shifter of the last several weeks of publicity appearances? I expect her to twirl her hair, cock her head, look up from the corner of her eyes and giggle at least 14 times tonight. Catching Covid from an asymptomatic VP is the least of her contagious viral load worries, to catch.

My bigger question is which Kamala will show up tonight. The Heathen attack chihuahua of the Primary, or the innocent, sweet, tutu wearing shape shifter of the last several weeks of publicity appearances? I expect her to twirl her hair, cock her head, look up from the corner of her eyes and giggle at least 14 times tonight. Catching Covid from an asymptomatic VP is the least of her contagious viral load worries, to catch.
dumb ........

How??

By claiming to be a "Christian" but using stuff like alt-right terms like "crime, "law and order," "illegal immigration", deflecting criticism of his puppetmaster Trump, by changing the subject to Hunter or Hillary and promising in vague terms that Trump will introduce a new tax cut or infrastructure bill "soon" ( without any firsthand "Christian" knowledge whatsoever about Trump's true intentions).

Pence's religious/RFRA prejudices seemed to doom him to being defeated in a reelection bid as Indiana's governor, but savior Trump (Hallelujah, Hallelujah) rescued him by asking him to be Trump's VP.

My goal/hope for the V-P debate is that Pence will create video that will forever disqualify him from running for President.... ever.

After tonight's debate, I truly hope that Karen Pence or the family's pet rabbit will be more viable candidates for office than hypocrite Pence.

How??

By claiming to be a "Christian" but using stuff like alt-right terms like "crime, "law and order," "illegal immigration", deflecting criticism of his puppetmaster Trump, by changing the subject to Hunter or Hillary and promising in vague terms that Trump will introduce a new tax cut or infrastructure bill "soon" ( without any firsthand "Christian" knowledge whatsoever about Trump's true intentions).

Pence's religious/RFRA prejudices seemed to doom him to being defeated in a reelection bid as Indiana's governor, but savior Trump (Hallelujah, Hallelujah) rescued him by asking him to be Trump's VP.

My goal/hope for the V-P debate is that Pence will create video that will forever disqualify him from running for President.... ever.

After tonight's debate, I truly hope that Karen Pence or the family's pet rabbit will be more viable candidates for office than hypocrite Pence.
I would hope that simple terms like "crime", "law and order" and "illegal immigration" haven't been co-opted by the alt-right. Those terms might be short-hand for certain groups regarding specific policy results, but as a lawyer I sure hope that my use of the word "crime" doesn't identify me as being associated with any group but the state bar.

"Law and order" has been a political catch-phrase since the '68 election . . . it's become synonymous with "arrest anybody who doesn't agree with me" . . . and "illegal immigration" used to have a very specific meaning, i.e., immigration that wasn't in compliance with the nation's immigration laws. Now for some it means "there's someone speaking a foreign language here".

I would hope we'd be able to get back to the actual meanings of those words/phrases instead of the emotional response folks have been programmed to have when used.

Let's see is we can have a little more precision about language . . . the symbolic nature of politics these days has veiled the real issues, and therefore the policy choices, for far too many of us.

But he is good, by GOP standards—which is to say that, as a former right-wing radio host, he’s a practiced liar and a smooth defender of indefensible cruelties. Viewers will judge him alongside Trump’s harrowing performance from last week, meaning Pence will look lovely by comparison to voters who like their Republicans less explicitly nasty and more beholden to codes of decorum. But Pence’s biggest asset is one he shares with the president: He is shameless. In 2016, every time Sen. Tim Kaine brought up one of the litany of terrible things Trump had said or done—proposing a “deportation force,” backing “punishment” for women who terminate their pregnancies—Pence simply denied that it had happened, no matter if it had already been recorded and broadly disseminated to the American public. When Kaine reminded Pence of Trump’s bit about how more countries should have nuclear arsenals, Pence responded, “He never said that,” shaking his head with the mild exasperation of a parent trying to calm down a hysterical child. Pence’s mien was unflappably smug as he gaslit viewers about the things they’d seen and heard with their own eyes and ears. With a dry laugh and a bemused smile, he made Kaine’s legitimate criticisms sound like bizarre conspiracy theories concocted by someone with Trump derangement syndrome. “Do you not take deductions?” Pence asked Kaine when confronted with Trump’s tax avoidance. “How does that work?”​

Reactions: Bowlmania

But he is good, by GOP standards—which is to say that, as a former right-wing radio host, he’s a practiced liar and a smooth defender of indefensible cruelties. Viewers will judge him alongside Trump’s harrowing performance from last week, meaning Pence will look lovely by comparison to voters who like their Republicans less explicitly nasty and more beholden to codes of decorum. But Pence’s biggest asset is one he shares with the president: He is shameless. In 2016, every time Sen. Tim Kaine brought up one of the litany of terrible things Trump had said or done—proposing a “deportation force,” backing “punishment” for women who terminate their pregnancies—Pence simply denied that it had happened, no matter if it had already been recorded and broadly disseminated to the American public. When Kaine reminded Pence of Trump’s bit about how more countries should have nuclear arsenals, Pence responded, “He never said that,” shaking his head with the mild exasperation of a parent trying to calm down a hysterical child. Pence’s mien was unflappably smug as he gaslit viewers about the things they’d seen and heard with their own eyes and ears. With a dry laugh and a bemused smile, he made Kaine’s legitimate criticisms sound like bizarre conspiracy theories concocted by someone with Trump derangement syndrome. “Do you not take deductions?” Pence asked Kaine when confronted with Trump’s tax avoidance. “How does that work?”​
Pence has a problem if Trump doesn't win in 2020 . . . he faces the prospect of having to run against Trump in the 2024 GOP primaries.

Pence has a problem if Trump doesn't win in 2020 . . . he faces the prospect of having to run against Trump in the 2024 GOP primaries.
If you mean Jr., I think that's nuts. Chelsea Clinton would have a better chance than he would.

We have learned that even widespread testing doesn't really count for crapola when there is typically an incubation period of 4-10 days

So it's a flip of the coin as to whether he is safe

But if he keeps >10 feet away and all sides agree to it, then go right ahead. But they need to not refer to it as a science-based decision.

What sort of testing are they doing? PCR or rapid anti bodies/antigen?

No balls and no soul. Not sure where the balls went, but we all know who he sold his soul to.

Mayor Pete just saying that Pence is great at flat out lying and they prepped Harris to handle that. So maybe she will call him out...

We all know how she cleaned Willie Browns clock !

Susan Page: we deserve a civil discusion

You have two minutes to respond without interruption.

Looks like smirking and head shaking is the strategy both sides will use while the other is speaking.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT